Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Election 2012 Poll... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Election 2012 Poll...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Me too! Lu would be a great leader. She could accompany every away team and take charge of all of them at once.

I'm very curious as to whether or not all of the Lu's are mentally connected, like a single entity.

Yeah, it would be cool if her power were less a matter of "creating duplicates" and more a matter of "being in multiple places at once". It would also fit with the idea that, unlike in past versions, she wouldn't be able to survive the death of one of her bodies.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jesjos
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jesjos   Email jesjos         Edit/Delete Post     
This version of Lu deserves to be explored further. I thought it was lame when she was transformed into *Duplicatrix.* I haven't picked up a Legion book in years, and only keep tabs through mediums such as this one. Does the Carggite logic still apply in regards to the way her power works now? Previously I believe her *selves* had to recombine in order for her to absorb the knowledge gained from the individual experiences they would have. There couldn't have been a telepathic link in the past, because she's been in a fragmented state for a longer than usual period, in the past. The selves were completely disconnected. No flow of information.

In the reboot, (Legion *247,*) when one of her selves was nearly killed, I can't recall if the other two were aware. In 5YL boot, Glorith held one of Lu's selves captive, the remaining Lu was completely unaware that her second self was still alive. I can't recall if Lu even *sensed* there was a connection when that second Lu returned and started to attack various Legionnaires. So even Proximity didn't alert her. Additionally, in original continuity, when Starfinger kidnapped her second body she didn't even notice.

It would have been interesting if one of her selves had been one of the legionnaires *stranded,* (NOT LOST,) in the other title. Lu definitely deserves some focus. The 4th legionnaire has evolved quite a bit. I'd wonder if the emergence of her presently *amped* state might cause her stress, since she's already experienced the loss of two selves. One would think there might be a fear of having to relive those losses again.

Someone posted they thought a recently depicted exchange between Lu and Nura hinted at a Lu/Querl connection. This deserves further exploration, as well. Aside from the Computo event that led to the loss of her third self , there's also the showdown that took place with the Time Trapper/Glorith, and the loss of her second self. The scene of Querl offering her his belt as a safeguard for her remaining self was very touching. It showed how responsible he felt. there's also the fact that they both chose historical figures to be enamored with in their younger years. When you're at a certain age, things can be more intense. Their teammates must have thought all sorts of things about these two. Lu & Querl must have been confidants, as well. Who else would understand what it is to be in love with someone out of history. (Maybe Tasmia.)

Anyhow, more face time for Lu. Lu today, Lu tomorrow, LU FOREVER!!!

From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jesjos: There's also the fact that they both chose historical figures to be enamored with in their younger years. When you're at a certain age, things can be more intense. Their teammates must have thought all sorts of things about these two. Lu & Querl must have been confidants, as well. Who else would understand what it is to be in love with someone out of history. (Maybe Tasmia.)
Ooh, this is an intriguing tangent.

Sometimes we choose to romanticize / fantasize about celebrities or whatever because they are the 'perfect' partner, made of putty, and shaped to conform to whatever we want them to be, with no ability to change that perception, since we will never ever have to actually meet them.

Lu and Brainy are in the rare position of actually meeting and interacting with someone they may have 'loved from afar' in a fannish way, and that person may have turned out to be very different than the imagined version.

Brainy ended up with Supergirl anyway, but Lu, after perhaps idolizing Superboy as a youth (or maybe not, it's not clearly stated either way), veered away from a relationship with her 'celebrity crush,' falling back onto the very much more 'real' Chuck, as if choosing to grow up and put away her idealized fake boyfriend and choose a more down to earth man that she could grow old with, than a whirlwind romance with someone who only spends a week every couple of months in her timeline.

What some would consider the perfect relationship-of-convenience, with a fantasy partner / dream come to life, who is only going to be around some of the time, allowing one to skip the hard parts of making a relationship work and just be 'friends with benefits,' Lu ended up never even pursuing, choosing instead a more reliable and less 'fantasy' relationship with Chuck.

Brainy, on the other hand, chose the fantasy.

His faerie tale turned out to be more of Grimm's tale than a Disney one...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
I voted for Mon-el again. I've always voted for Mon-el, all the way back to the old days, because I feel he has great character and leadership potential, but writers will shy away from him. Forcing him into the spotlight should create a great oppourtunity, but Paul hasn't really seized that oppourtunity having spent the first half of his term writing himself out of a plot corner and the second half hasn't really had a lot of great leadership moments. I want to see Mon the leader actually leading the charge into an epic battle, so I'm giving him a second chance to get it right.

Me, too.
I also hate that Levitz wants to write him out of the Legion.
Or did.
This whole time with Levitz as the Legion's writer, unlike his lovely Academy work, has been so disappointing for me.
[shrug]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
Not only that Levitz wants to write Mon-El out of the Legion....
Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Matter Eater Lad, Sensor Girl, Blok, Black Witch, Night Girl, Colossal Boy, XS, Quislet... all of them are out for Levitz desires.
And Duplicate Damsel and Bouncing Boy in the academy.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jesjos:

In the reboot, (Legion *247,*) when one of her selves was nearly killed, I can't recall if the other two were aware.

When Triad Neutral was beaten, the other two Triads immediately sensed her weakness and felt the pain - or at least, some sympathy pain. Both of them were shown doubling up.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
Not only that Levitz wants to write Mon-El out of the Legion....
Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Matter Eater Lad, Sensor Girl, Blok, Black Witch, Night Girl, Colossal Boy, XS, Quislet... all of them are out for Levitz desires.
And Duplicate Damsel and Bouncing Boy in the academy.

Good point(s).
My perspective is from Lar being my all time favorite comic book superhero, though.
Umbra's my favorite heroine.
So the others don't sock it to my heart as much.
[shrug]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
There's a question:
1) Should you vote based on in-story considerations--that is, which Legionnaire is best qualified?
2) Should you vote based on external considerations--that is, which Legionnaire do you want Paul to give some more screentime to?

I'm more inclined to vote for the second reason.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
If Lu were elected, I think Paul Levitz would create a rift between her and Chuck, and that is something I wouldn't want to see.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't figure Levitz will ever care to write Lu for any extended length of time, so I voted Tinya in both. I voted for her last time as well.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
There's a question:
1) Should you vote based on in-story considerations--that is, which Legionnaire is best qualified?
2) Should you vote based on external considerations--that is, which Legionnaire do you want Paul to give some more screentime to?

I'm more inclined to vote for the second reason.

Same here. In fact, sometimes the 'most qualified' ends up being kind of a boring choice. I'd rather see someone who isn't 100% ideally suited for leadership (like Garth) really be challenged, and perhaps to grow and develop as a character by the experience, than someone who's been there, done that (like Rokk) sleepwalk his way through their umpteen-bazillionth stint at leader.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I would think a combination of both considerations would be ideal. However much I might want to see more of, for example, Quislet, I'm not sure I'd want to see him as leader. And, however qualified I might think Brainiac Five might be, I'd much rather give it to someone who needs more time in the spotlight.

Someone like Tinya combines both qualities, in that she's fairly plausible as a leader and it would be nice to see what development she might undergo given her increased prominence in the series.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Phantom Girl has always been one of my least favorite Legionnaires. I've always found her to be very bland. I've always favored all of the girls over any of the boys, but she and Imra are at the bottom of the stack for me.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Phantom Girl has always been one of my least favorite Legionnaires. I've always found her to be very bland. I've always favored all of the girls over any of the boys, but she and Imra are at the bottom of the stack for me.

That would be my ranking of PG and SG for the same reasons Jim. The only time I ever really liked PG was when she was Phase in L.E.G.I.O.N.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I voted for Shadow Lass because I think she would be a good field commander. I voted for Chameleon Boy because we've rarely seen him in a leadership position.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.