Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LEGION #14 Preview (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: LEGION #14 Preview
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
I noticed Ayla use of the term 'uniques' - an interesting choice of words I've never heard used in Legion history.

But isn't Phantom Girl a unique? Didn't the Legion origin mini-series point out only she can travel to our Earth from Bgztl?

From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if it's a concept that's going to be explored further. It's definitely an interesting way of dividing Legionnaires.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
When I read "uniques" I immediately thought "mutants". Yes, it will be interesting if this idea gets incorporated further.

I wish Shadow Lass, Lightening Lass and Night Girl actually got some panel time actually using their powers at the end to help play clean-up and not just talk about it.

Overall it was an solid issue with an interesting revelation of what laid behind Comet Queen's betrayal. I look forward to see how this subplot plays out.

From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Kolins may be going a bit too cartoon in his Legion run, but I think his layouts and technology are pretty strong. Aslo, loved his version of Lu -- this is the best I've seen her look in years -- even better than Jimenez's version.
Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
I wish Levitz could have pulled a more interesting villain than space pirates out for this--it honestly does kind-of feel like the book's in a holding position until Giffen comes in for the Fatal Five arc.

Also, Sun Boy saying it as "legends of the Fatal Five" makes it sound more likely they changed the timeline...which as much as I'm okay with it in the present day DC, it just bothers me that it happened here. I mean, the New 52 should have probably changed more of what the cosmic DC looks like, but I don't see how it would change the Legion meeting the Fatal Five.

quote:
Originally posted by Leather Wolf:
I hope Levitz hasn't stripped Cosmic Boy of his powers as a way to retire him as a Legionnaire.

It's kinda cute at this point that Levitz still thinks he can try to retire any of the founding members. He's been trying to do this since what, the Great Darkness Saga?

quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmperor:
Interesting how Tinya responds to Dirks touch, and a nice reference to the wormhole from the mini-series.

Okay, sorry for the newbish question, but what does that refer to?

And since I'm asking these kind-of questions, who's Lu? I don't remember the name and I'm not finding it in any Legion listing...

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Great to see Lydda actually on a mission for the first time since Levitz came back.

The 'unique' reference was interesting if not a little crass when referring to the last survivor of Trom

quote:
Interesting how Tinya responds to Dirks touch, and a nice reference to the wormhole from the mini-series.

And since I'm asking these kind-of questions, who's Lu? I don't remember the name and I'm not finding it in any Legion listing...

The worm-hole was shown in the Legion Secret Origin mini (which is worth picking up).

'Lu' is Luornu or Duplicate Girl - who wasn't in this issue I think the reference should have been Tinya.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matter-eater man
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matter-eater man   Author's Homepage   Email matter-eater man         Edit/Delete Post     
Hope Comet Queen gets better. B5 is way too grouchy these days. He's had enough humbling experiences to really be copping such an attitude. It was great seeing Element Lad & Chem using their powers and being spectacular. Good issue IMHO.
From: MN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
But isn't Phantom Girl a unique? Didn't the Legion origin mini-series point out only she can travel to our Earth from Bgztl?

Possibly. I'm still stuck in classic continuity mode, where multiple Bgtzlns proved able to travel between Bgtzl and Earth-space (including Phantom Lad, a random Bgtzln space pirate, and, of course, her mom).

I really have no idea what was up with the Dirk / Tinya 'no touching' scene. I don't recall Tinya having an aversion to being touched, and, if anything, her more recent portrayals have had her extremely prone to touching other people (such as Brainy) or things (the Atomic Axe) without seeking permission first.

I do recall Dragonwing having a bit of a harsh reaction to Dirk possibly hitting on her as well, recently.

Is Dirk being set up to be some sort of creepy dude with boundary issues, making unwelcome passes at people?

I'm pretty sure I'd greatly dislike that addition to his character...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The "unique" thing is a little weird, as well, if Jan is supposed to be included among them, since he's not really a unique except in the sense that everyone else with his powers was mercilessly slaughtered by Roxxas and his gang.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kay:

quote:

Legion: Secret Origin
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
The best of the issue : Lydda, Ayla and Tasmia.
An I hope with all the changes about The Fatal Five.... Sarya Returns!

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
The worm-hole was shown in the Legion Secret Origin mini (which is worth picking up).

'Lu' is Luornu or Duplicate Girl - who wasn't in this issue I think the reference should have been Tinya.

Okay, thanks for the info, especially with Lu--I thought that meant that there was literally a Legion member named Lu that I wasn't finding. I still have trouble remembering the Legion's real names (which made my reading of Giffen's 5YL stuff a real pain in the arse...).
From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Reading the thread I realize that I remember exactly nothing from that "Secret Origin."
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I still have trouble remembering the Legion's real names (which made my reading of Giffen's 5YL stuff a real pain in the arse...).

If the real names were the only reading problem you had with 5YL you did pretty well!!!!

Since when do Arizonans say "arse"? I thought all Americans said "ass".

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
quote:
I still have trouble remembering the Legion's real names (which made my reading of Giffen's 5YL stuff a real pain in the arse...).

If the real names were the only reading problem you had with 5YL you did pretty well!!!!

Since when do Arizonans say "arse"? I thought all Americans said "ass".

Wasn't sure if ass was okay under the "no swearing" rule.

But yeah, I honestly loved the hell out of 5YL--it was interesting, in that considering how there was all these attempts around that time of doing these out-of-continuity dark and gritty books with experimental storytelling, like DKR and Watchmen, to see that Giffen was actually doing this as well, and in an actual cannon story--and unlike others who'd come after him, doing it WELL.

But yeah, the names thing threw me off at times. I was praying for what we have now where we'd get the little box that tells the character's superhero name, real name, powers and all that.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.