Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LEGION #14 Preview (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: LEGION #14 Preview
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I have just caught up on a few months worth of Legion...read #0, 13 and 14, and while I don't really care for Kolins' art generally, I found bits of it to be more enjoyable than usual.

As far as the writing goes, these are the first Legion issues I have read in AGES where I came away with an unblemished enjoyment of the book...usually there's something that really stands out where I think Levitz could have done a lot better, but I didn't feel that at all here! I am starting to get excited with all the Fatal Five lead-in stuff too, though I still think it's kind of disappointing that their history with the Legion has been thrown out the window....I also agree that Tinya not liking to be touched seems an odd choice given her personality, but it's not something that really detracted for me, I just found it a weird writing choice.

And Lydda on a real mission = WIN! [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read the issue yet, BUT I'm guessing the schtick about PG not liking to be touched is another installment in the old "the character's power is what defines him/her" m.o. His/her raison d'etre, if you will. i.e., She's a phantom, so she's untouchable. Previously, we've seen this with Shady referring to darkness and shadows all the time, Dawnstar using the word path every time she opens her mouth, Dreamer being turned into a real dream/figment of Brainy's imagination, Timber Wolf becoming a werewolf, Apparition becoming an actual ghost, Alchemist becoming like Metamorpho, etc. etc.

It all boils down to one-note characterization, imho. Similar to making everyone on Winath twins and the whole world being agricultural, or making everyone on Tharr short, or all of Talok desert. Painting a whole planet with one brush or defining a character based on the nature of their power is just too easy imho.

A similar/tangental example is having Invisible Kid step down as leader because his power wasn't assertive enough to lead the Legion a while back, as if it's the nature of a person's physical power that makes him/her a good leader, as opposed to his/her personality, intelligence, character, or decision-making skills.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I haven't read the issue yet, BUT I'm guessing the schtick about PG not liking to be touched is another installment in the old "the character's power is what defines him/her" m.o. His/her raison d'etre, if you will. i.e., She's a phantom, so she's untouchable.

If so, that would be disappointing.

I don't like the idea that air characters have to be 'flighty' or 'distant' while fire characters have to be 'hotheads' and characters with great strength have to be physical and violent. (Although that sort of thing can be a great shorthand for a one-off team, like the Masters of Disaster or Terror Firma!)

Even Superman, over the last decade or so, has been increasingly characterized by the nature of his powers, being portrayed as more and more aggressive and confrontational and, IMO, dickish, because it's somehow incomprehensible to the new generation of writers that someone with all that physical power would be such a temperate and restrained boy scout and not more of an arrogant super-bully who likes to show off.

(Although, really, that seems to be Johns go-to writing trick for all superheroes. The entire Justice League, under his pen, are a bunch of rampant unrestrained super-egos, showing off and generally making super-asses of themselves. They spent more pages of their first twelve issues fighting against, or showing off for, or undercutting, each other, than fighting bad-guys.)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob-Em
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob-Em   Email Rob-Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I haven't read the issue yet, BUT I'm guessing the schtick about PG not liking to be touched is another installment in the old "the character's power is what defines him/her" m.o. His/her raison d'etre, if you will. i.e., She's a phantom, so she's untouchable.

If so, that would be disappointing.

I don't like the idea that air characters have to be 'flighty' or 'distant' while fire characters have to be 'hotheads' and characters with great strength have to be physical and violent. (Although that sort of thing can be a great shorthand for a one-off team, like the Masters of Disaster or Terror Firma!)

Even Superman, over the last decade or so, has been increasingly characterized by the nature of his powers, being portrayed as more and more aggressive and confrontational and, IMO, dickish, because it's somehow incomprehensible to the new generation of writers that someone with all that physical power would be such a temperate and restrained boy scout and not more of an arrogant super-bully who likes to show off.

(Although, really, that seems to be Johns go-to writing trick for all superheroes. The entire Justice League, under his pen, are a bunch of rampant unrestrained super-egos, showing off and generally making super-asses of themselves. They spent more pages of their first twelve issues fighting against, or showing off for, or undercutting, each other, than fighting bad-guys.)

My assumption when I read the issue was that this interaction was an allusion to their history together - PG being offended by Dirk's womanizing. She did dump her drink on his head after he told her how he spent his weekend.
Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't remember the specifics, but Dream Girl relatively recently told someone to 'Don't touch the hair! Ever!'

Was that also Dirk?

'Cause, if so, Dirk getting touchy-feely and smacked down by Tinya, Dragonwing *and* Dreamy seems a little more than a coincidence.

Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
The reason Tinya didn't like being touched is because it was DIrk doing it. Tinya thinks Dirk is a creepy lecherous pervert. This was established in Levitz's second run -- I specifically remember one scene where Dirk tells Tinya an off-color story and Tinya dumps her drink on his head. I forget what issue this was in, but I think it was just after the Great Darkness Saga.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved this entire issue with the exception of its concluding lines, which I thought landed with an uncomfortable thud. A little bit of humor that was actually amusing was all that was missing.

I find it sort of intriguing that Chemical Kid's so much more likeable with Jan than with anyone else. I wonder if he feels a sort of father/son bond with the Trommite? What we saw of his father on Phlon made me think they weren't exactly close, though I could well be wrong about that.

I hope Night Girl sticks around. I wouldn't mind if Rokk's recovery was a longish one, especially if it brought Garth and/or Imra back for a bit. I know they're in the way of being panel hogs, but the book just feels stronger and more 'Legiony' when the founders are around. I think Levitz needs to jettison his perpetual cycle of including them/writing them off/bringing them back/writing them off.

The Fatal Five as enemies the LSH has never faced? Can't wrap my head around it. I guess the team could've battled them individually. Validus and Emerald Empress, especially.

If DC's axing those appearances as well, then I feel bring back Lyle Norg is something that could happen. Any substitution rendering his murder someone other than Validus makes that death one that can be revisited with impunity. Sensor Girl's origin becomes nebulous, as well.

And what about Ferro Lad? One of the central occurences that totally shaped the LSH into the LEGION will HAVE to be explained. Sun-Eater story without Fatal Five?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

If DC's axing those appearances as well, then I feel bring back Lyle Norg is something that could happen. Any substitution rendering his murder someone other than Validus makes that death one that can be revisited with impunity.

I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT. I, personally, would jump for joy and run around like a small child at Christmas if they found a decent way to bring back Lyle. He was always a favorite of mine in the Reboot (and I heard he wasn't terribly annoying in 3boot either) and I WOULD JUST LOVE THAT.

Notice I inserted the word "decent". XD

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
The reason Tinya didn't like being touched is because it was DIrk doing it. Tinya thinks Dirk is a creepy lecherous pervert. This was established in Levitz's second run -- I specifically remember one scene where Dirk tells Tinya an off-color story and Tinya dumps her drink on his head. I forget what issue this was in, but I think it was just after the Great Darkness Saga.

Perhaps you're right, Sir Tim. But what does it say about a story when the series' biggest fans (Legion World, baby!) can't easily catch the meaning? Seems like most of us are just scratching our heads over it.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
If the Legion's never even met the FF, then we certainly can't assume that a little thing like PG dumping her drink on Dirk is still canon. I got the impression that the no-touch thing was a personal rule of PG's and not aimed specifically to ward off Dirk's advances.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
One of the many untold tales of the Legion: Dirk got smashed one night and put the moves on Tinya or, to put a more romantic sheen on it, confessed to her his true undying devotion. He's madly in love with her and just can't resist some physical contact from time to time - and she knows she has to back him off, clearly and firmly. A tragic story of unrequited love, which Dirk conceals by womanizing.

Kidding aside, if the Legion's never met the Fatal Five, there's either something wrong with the timestream or a whole lot of history to be revised. Maybe it's something Saturn Queen did, however: erased memories of the FF for some reason.

If it all brought back Lyle Norg, I'd be happy too.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I would be happy if the F5's history being dissolved ended up being some crazy long term plan of Tharok's coming into play....the more I think about it the more I think it's unfortunate and kind of pointless if the Legion have never faced one of their iconic enemies for the sake of one new story [Razz]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, we already know that the Time Trapper has been seriously messing with things, and that this time around he's much more directly responsible for the Legion's origin than ever before, per the Secret Origins series.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Conjure Lass:
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

If DC's axing those appearances as well, then I feel bring back Lyle Norg is something that could happen. Any substitution rendering his murder someone other than Validus makes that death one that can be revisited with impunity.

I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT. I, personally, would jump for joy and run around like a small child at Christmas if they found a decent way to bring back Lyle. He was always a favorite of mine in the Reboot (and I heard he wasn't terribly annoying in 3boot either) and I WOULD JUST LOVE THAT.

Notice I inserted the word "decent". XD

Honestly, I wouldn't. I guess Jacques doesn't have many fans out there, but I'm one of them. So I want him to stay where he is, but with some better-written powers. Seems inevitable that if Lyle returned, they'd have to shunt Jacques out of the way. [Frown]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Jacques suffers from the same affliction Lyle occasionally suffered from, the uncanny knack to forget to go invisible during fights, and, when he *did* remember to go invisible, boasting and giving away his position.

Invisibility, by itself, is not a terrible power to have, it's just that nobody seems to use it very intelligently. If the person kept it active and didn't shoot their mouth off, an invisible character could make one heck of a 'spoiler,' dancing around the combat zone and sabotaging bad-guys, or supporting good guy actions. (Although it would be helpful if the team was linked by telepathy or something, so that Sun Boy or Lightning Lad didn't accidently fry Invisible Dude with a stray energy blast...)

If his invisibility could apply to other forms of radiant energy, he could not merely be invulnerable to laser weapons (which would pass right through him like visible light), but perhaps even able to walk through force fields, which could be handy.

OTOH, I preferred Lyle as well. A young scientist who developed his own super-powers? That's something the Legion could use more of! Plus Jacques universal translator mysteriously failing to translate only the most common French words is annoying. [Smile]

"The nanoarchitectonics of this fullerene icosahedron is... tres fantastique!"

"Sorry Jacques, your translator crapped out at the end there. What's 'tres' mean again?"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.