Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LEGION #14 Preview (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: LEGION #14 Preview
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I love the idea of Jacques being immune to to all electromagnetic radiation.

He definitely suffers from the tendency to punch the bad guy and then become visible.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I like Lyle and Jacques both, but certainly something needs to be done to make them more useful, whichever one we go with. I suppose Lyle, being a genius, would be more useful to the team than Jacques whose only other attribute is his outrageous French accent.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
It's Jacques' French accent and expressions which make him tiresome as far as I'm concerned. He lost all that in the 5YL series, got some leadership ability and was all the better for it.

If Lyle were to return, Jacques could undergo a power change through some event and both could stay in the Legion. Or Lyle could come back without his invisibility power and be a Rond Vidar type of friendly resident genius.

After rereading the story, a few little things I liked:

- the term "uniques" to describe certain super-powered sentients

- Bainy's steam-punky magnetic field detector - or maybe he took the parts out of the garbage bin

- the three Braalian raiders who each speak part of a sentence. Silly villains.

- sparkly Jan

- Legionnaires using each other's first names

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
The accent thing can be played a little too hard, but considering how hardcore the French are at keeping their language pure, if any language is going to survive as is into the 31st Century, it's probably that.

Probably a better way of showing it off is having him speak more formally (which tends to happen if you're speaking a second language), and then have him swear or mutter to himself in French.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Jacques could speak totally French all the time! That way, we readers would have to scramble to a French Dictionary to decode anything he has to say (sort of like the Interlac signage, but more challenging).

Comics that are entertaining AND educational is what I'm talking about...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
[Smile]
But he'd have to be able to speak Interlac in order to function in that era.
Although, it would be fun if he would slip in and out of it and struggling with his interpretation sometimes.

I don't know how it would go over, though, since so many people were kind of upset over Brande adopting a Norwegian kind of accent before he was killed in the Retroboot, IIRC.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Back to Chemical Kid, I find it really annoying that he "possibly skipped that class" about having standard uses of his powers. Is the Legion really that shorthanded that they had to let him on the team when more diligent students like Power Boy and Nightwind are off on Takron-Galtos?

But then, it was in another reality that Chuck and Luornu didn't recommend Atmos for the Legion because he was too arrogant (despite being incredibly powerful)...

Still, he did pull his weight this issue. I'm just cranky that Nightwind and company didn't make it in.

Transuits are a nice touch. I'm pretty sure they were introduced only in the Postboot, and weren't seen before then.

And it's great to see Lydda back, for good I hope. Also nice to see a cavalry of (currently) somewhat less-used Legionnaires, instead of the usual Mon-El and Ultra Boy.

And nice touch on the Violet reference from Ayla!

[ December 06, 2012, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Back to Chemical Kid, I find it really annoying that he "possibly skipped that class" about having standard uses of his powers. Is the Legion really that shorthanded that they had to let him on the team when more diligent students like Power Boy and Nightwind are off on Takron-Galtos?

But then, it was in another reality that Chuck and Luornu didn't recommend Atmos for the Legion because he was too arrogant (despite being incredibly powerful)...

Still, he did pull his weight this issue. I'm just cranky that Nightwind and company didn't make it in.

Transuits are a nice touch. I'm pretty sure they were introduced only in the Postboot, and weren't seen before then.

Agree that Paul should have given the older Academy heroes more time over the new class. Transuits have actually been around since the 70's-- there's a "behind the scenes" panel shot of Imra slinking into one in the Wedding Tabloid...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Transuits are a nice touch. I'm pretty sure they were introduced only in the Postboot, and weren't seen before then

Re transuits....at the beginning of the Great Darkness Saga, there's a scene where Mon-El tells Shady not to pout because she'll wrinkle her transuit...so they have definitely been around for a while, just maybe not widely used till more recent times...

EDIT: oops, Korbal beat me to it! [Smile]

[ December 06, 2012, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: razsolo ]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I'm just cranky that Nightwind and company didn't make it in.

I hear this (or something like it) a lot. I think we all just have to accept that sometime during the Baxter run (if not earlier), someone at DC decided that the bulk of the Academy students were fated never to make the big team. Since then they have been consistently treated as second-rate wannabes. Whether or not they deserve that rep is irrelevant. It has been part of what defines them as characters for over 20 years now and is unlikely to change.

So I think it's time we all quit beating that particular dead horse and concentrate on trying to get DC to fix other, more fixable, flaws in the current book, such as the Vril Doxization of Brainy or the two-dimensionalization of formerly well fleshed out characters such as Phantom Girl ("don't touch me" indeed.)

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I kinda hate transsuits, after seeing the Threeboot ring-generated life-support field instead.

The idea that a molecule thin transparent suit could A) not tear the first time you got blasted, punched or cut, B) not be destroyed the first time Sun Boy or Lightning Lad turned on their powers, C) hold enough oxygen in it to sustain a person indefinitely, despite having literally *zero* storage space, D) etc. bugged me even as a kid.

I like it better as an energy field, whether sustained by the Flight Ring or some other bit of hard-to-destroy tech built into a Legion costume or whatever.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
They are a plot convenience and nothing more to me. If I needed an explanation of how they work, I suppose I'd go with matter - energy. The only thing keeping us calling one thing "matter" and another thing "energy" is technology to contain and shape. I can presume they have developed the technology to develop a molecule thin.... or an energy shield as being the same thing.

Without the plot device, we wouldn't have stranded Legionnaires standing on an asteroid....

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I miss the pre-Crisis glass bubble helmets!
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Nanofiber spacesuits are a common enough sci-fi trope that I'm willing to accept them (and to assume that there being so thin as to be transparent is a logical outcome of this tech), though air supply is a problem.

Er... 4D-oxygen tanks, anyone?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.