Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Dawnstar: If the only way to get her back.... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dawnstar: If the only way to get her back....
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
....would be to have her divorced from the Legion title, would you be in favor?

The Background : It's been argued that Dawnstar may never appear in the reboot Legion because of Shikari's presence. I'm not digging up the "Shikari=reboot Dawnstar" argument, but it's been said that because of the similarities between their powers, Dawnstar's chances of being rebooted as a Legionnaire are slim to none.

The Concept : So what if Dawnstar could be brought back elsewhere in the DC Universe? We're talking essentially the same character, up and down, except that she'd probably be in the present-day DCU and not a Legionnaire.

For instance, she shows up in a JLA or Teen Titans spacefaring mission, is intrigued by them and accepts their offer to join.

So how would that sit with us hardcore Legion fans, as well as certain diehard <g> Dawny fans?

Is some Dawny better than no Dawny if she's essentially the same character, portrayed the right way? Or is it Dawny in the Legion, or no Dawny at all (assuming that you're someone who would like her back, of course)?

Where do you stand?

<I'm also assuming she won't turn up in the rumored reboot Legion Academy.>

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estimate Lad
Substitute Poster

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Estimate Lad   Email Estimate Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd prefer Dawnstar to turn up in the Legion but anywhere in the DCU is better than nowhere at all. I can see that after Animal Man's guest appearances in Hawkman that Dawny could quite easily turn up there for a story arc.
From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Dawnstar and Shikari could co-exist in the Legion; it could provide some fascinating storylines, character interactions and visual delights - all those wings.... However, I wouldn't expect to see it, given the pressure to include so many other characters from the past or to add new ones.

That being said, I don't know why she couldn't appear in another book - or as an occasional appearance in the Legion, a character with whom they work for specific cases. I wonder if she could carry her own mini-series; I'm thinking her of the Skinwalker detective comic - not much focus on native American (or any aboriginal) culture in comic books, although nuggets have appeared from time to time in both DC and Marvel.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Interestingly, my first thoughts on this were no. If Dawnstar was to turn up and remain Dawnstar it would have to be in the 31st century.

I think it is accepted amongst fans that Dawnstar can still exist in this legions universe much as she was portrayed in the pre boot. We simply have not yet met her. If she is reintroduced then there is no reason why she has to be a legion member, she could simply be a recurring supporting character in much the way Dr Gym’ll is. Alternatively as Lardy suggests she could be an academy member.

If Dawnstar was to turn up in say the 21st century DCU then unless she was time displaced, she would not be “our” Dawny. She could be a tracker from Starhaven. She could even be called Dawnstar, (after all names change only slowly, i.e. there could a Paul Smith, in 2003, 1803, and 3003 but there is no need for them to be the same person) but she would not be the legion character.

Nice topic Lardy.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm enjoying reading this. I still have to ponder what I would like to see under this scenario ... and I'd like to see more weigh in here before I offer anything.

(Including Dean Lee, "deanlegion," just arrived at Legion World, who has his own well-turned scenario for Dawny, which I hope he'll offer in this thread soon.)

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know... I hate to say this, but I almost am inclined to think that Dawnstar could sustain her own series. She's certainly one of visually most striking Legionnaires (hence her inclusion in Crisis), and her powers by nature can incline a lot of really interesting plots. Set it in the 31st century, cross-over with The Legion from time to time... well, maybe...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
If set in the present, my preference would be a book about Starhaven, not Dawny.

It grabs my nuts when they steal the history of another to fill a new character's portfolio. Just because it flys and has boobs doesn't make it Dawny. An ancestor, sure like in L.E.G.I.O.N. with Shady, but that is all I'd care to read. No Danwstar in the present for me please.

If set in the future, Dawnstar certainly would be visually appealing drawn by someone that uses detail. The character does not seem to me to have the history or following to survive many downturns in script quality. A VERY good and well knowen writer would be required I'd think.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
L.E.G.I.O.N. would be the one place that I could see Dawnstar appearing. With news/rumors of Barry Kitson doing a new L.E.G.I.O.N. book soon...who knows.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
If Dawnstar was to turn up in say the 21st century DCU then unless she was time displaced, she would not be “our” Dawny. She could be a tracker from Starhaven. She could even be called Dawnstar, (after all names change only slowly, i.e. there could a Paul Smith, in 2003, 1803, and 3003 but there is no need for them to be the same person) but she would not be the legion character.

Do you not consider the reboot Ferro to be "the Legion character" or does his time displacement into the 31st century negate that? I don't think any rebooted Dawnstar would be "our" Dawnstar in that they're not the same character just like any rebooted character really isn't the same. Or are you just referring to her not being "ours" as not being in the Legion book?

In terms of a rebooted Dawnstar, my priorities would be:
-- Portrayed as close to the preboot (and pre TMK) as much as possible (or else why give her the name and appearance?).
-- Involved in an interesting book / project
-- being a member of the Legion

Someone suggested some time ago that she could be included in a rebooted Wanderers, which could be a cool alternative to being in the Legion.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looks That Kill Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looks That Kill Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think I would like Dawnstar outside of the Legion setting. Whilst I do feel that she will probably not join the Legion itself as long as Shikari is there I don't see any reason why she cannot re-appear in the book.
From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Looks That Kill Lad:
I don't think I would like Dawnstar outside of the Legion setting. Whilst I do feel that she will probably not join the Legion itself as long as Shikari is there I don't see any reason why she cannot re-appear in the book.

Paul is summarizing the view a lot of the "against" votes are raising. Paul and others would be satisfied if Dawny showed up in the Legion title and made guest appearances, acknowledging the unlikelihood of her becoming a member because of the similarity to Shikari's powers.

The question is: is that good enough? Are Tenzil's fans REALLY happy that he got some time as Legion cook? Are Dirk's fans happy that he got a storyline but hasn't been seen again? Is Chuck's role as a Legion helper satisfying to those who want to see him inflate and bounce around? Do we love Condo for his handful of appearances as a reporter?

If that's good enough, then that's exactly what might happen if Dawny appears in the current Legion title. How about these scenarios:

1) Dawny's in the Legion Acadamy? Oh boy--Maybe she'll be as prominent a character as Jed Rikane or Nightwind were! And maybe she'll get a "the kids prove themselves" story in the bargain!

2) Dawny's in the Wanderers? Oh BOY---after their initial intro story, we'll see them among whomever else the creators pull out against this year's mega-villain to save the Legion's hash! And won't she look great in that splash page amid all the other 50-odd heroes charging in!!!

3) Dawny's a Legion ally running a detective agency? Yay! Maybe we'll see her a couple pages a year giving our heroes a lead!!

4) Dawny delivers the Legion's mail? Well, maybe in one big one-shot she'll foil a Fatal Five plot! But then it's back to the route!

See what I mean? Dawnstar's not likely to get a spot in the Legion, so all you have to do is look at the reboot's track record for finding a place for preboot characters.

But in a big, modern day-set title like JLA she might have a chance...maybe even be a superstar, who knows?

Dawny isn't one of my absolute faves, but I miss her nonetheless. Why not put her somewhere else in the DCU?

I mean, Dawny is one of those few characters who may work better outside the Legion. She was more an outsider, really. Wildfire's about the only one she socialized with. I can't imagine Saturn Girl, or even Chemical King, outside the Legion, but I can see Dawnstar quite easily there.

So is it that she's so inseparable from the Legion...or that you just wouldn't want to see her outside the Legion? Perhaps, you don't want to be bothered to pick up another title to see her?

Think about it....

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Dawny is LEGION, whether she currently "exists" or not. I'd be aghast to see her in TEEN TITANS (she'd be killed in some insipid fashion) or JLA (where the fanboys would scream, "Why not Hawkgirl/Woman?!?" until they offed her).

The -only- other title I could see "borrowing" her properly is Kitson's upcoming L.E.G.I.O.N.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Dawny is LEGION, whether she currently "exists" or not. I'd be aghast to see her in TEEN TITANS (she'd be killed in some insipid fashion) or JLA (where the fanboys would scream, "Why not Hawkgirl/Woman?!?" until they offed her).

The -only- other title I could see "borrowing" her properly is Kitson's upcoming L.E.G.I.O.N.

I dunno...I can see your JLA argument, but she shouldn't be in the Titans, so she won't be killed off? Methinks, that's a little Donna Troy and Lilith afterburn talking! If nothing else, they'd almost be forced to kill a guy or two next time to balance out the 4 to 1 girl-to-guy death ratio they've got going (Kole, Terra, Donna & Lilith vs. only Jericho). Honestly, I think Dawny would be pretty safe.

There's also the Outsiders title to consider. As I mentioned above, Dawny certainly fits the description of an outsider.

And right now, the L.E.G.I.O.N. title is rumor and speculation as far as I know. And if it is true, well, unfortunately the odds for it succeeding are pretty slim unless they somehow give it a fan-friendly hook.

I still like the idea of her being in present-day DCU.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Garsh...didn't think this one would die so quickly!

Well, Grey...speak now or forever hold your peace!

--------------------

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LARDLAD:
The question is: is that good enough? Are Tenzil's fans REALLY happy that he got some time as Legion cook? Are Dirk's fans happy that he got a storyline but hasn't been seen again?...

For me, it would be. I don't really need to see her again at all, personally. But I'd be slightly indignant and would feel bad for her fans if she turned up and was rebooted as some crappy version of what she was. There's no reason to drastically alter a character if you're going to reboot them cuz they gotta know it's gonna lead to unhappy people. You might as well make up someone new (which is what Shikari is).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.