Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LEGION #22 (SPOILERS) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: LEGION #22 (SPOILERS)
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm inclined to post most of my thoughts in the "calling the roll" thread, but it usually takes a little while for Todd to put it together so I'll just ramble off some reactions:

-- Ferro threatening to rearrange someone's vertebrae?!? Speaking of spines, looks like Mr, Nolan has definitely grown one.
-- Speaking of trash talk, Sensor's attitude is definitely harsher in tone than the snake's.
-- Now that Ferro says he no longer feels a need to hide his face, I almost wish he never changes back to human form. If he does, is he gonna take it off? Or will it still be fused to his face? The helmet and his self-consciousness about his looks was something I always identified with (as a lot of other adolescent boys could I imagine).
-- It's too bad we couldn't see a more fair Triad vs. Karate Kid duel.
-- The notion of Universo taking over everyone is *again* kinda like the Borg/Blight/Robotica theme in a different medium (telepathy) but at least there's a singular protagonist this time.
-- This is my fav ish of the run so far since it actually takes place in the real world and we see more of what Universo is about, how he used the Titanet tower etc. Now that things seem to have gotten underway, it's going to be over next issue? Definitely not ideal pacing, imo.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the notes Drake. I stopped at my shop on the way home and they haven't seen their delivery yet. I guess I'll check in later when I go back out.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you Drake. I was bitchin' while you were postin'.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I really enjoyed the issue!

I wish we'd gotten to see more of the Karate Kid/Ferro/Sensor teaming for old times sake.

I'm kind of perplexed by Dreamer as a choice for the cover, since she's not really that important to the issue.

I'm betting the Ferro-trapped-in-iron-form thing is just a stepping stone to another transformation. I think he'll end up looking completely different.

Perhaps the Halpashar priests could help Sensor become comfortable with her new appearance? I'd really like to see one of them become a Legionnaire...

I agree that I'd like to see more of the Val/Triad fight. At least he seems to consider her a challenge...

Mistake: Ferro should not have recognized Wildfire. Last time he saw him he was called ERG-1 and wearing a much dorkier looking suit.

I'm betting Imra breaks free of Universo's control early in the next issue.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Well I agree on so many points, including looking foreward to the calling the roll.

For me, KK and Ferro have not been written this well in a very long time and Steeple is just a wonderful creation. Ferro is not totally grown up, yet is not so...well for the want of a better word, wimpy. KK is now the strong silent type and I REALLY did notice the lack of speach. Actually I would have thought it better if DnA hadn't drawn attention to it on p. 18. As a reader I like to be held responsible for some of the thinking.

The Art:

There were several pages that I just found stunning. I think Batista favors KK, because this character just STANDS OUT in every panel in which he appears! I'm one that really likes the colors and style of Jeckie, though I do not think of her as a pre-boot character.

Fight scenes, particulary KK's and the depictions of Invisible Kid's power had me wishing for a Geoff John's style entire issue plots be damned fight fest. The Tri-Jitzu scene on p. 18 was not just a testiment to DnA's respect for the wishes of Triad supporters here, but also of KK's.

That scene is big size poster material .

DnA really paid attention to powers, teamwork, and how they would and should be used. Unique? Yes because it is rare that you have Legionnaire against Legionnaire.

Major upsides:
p1 Marvel style splash panels and info updates
The mini team of Ferro, KK, Shikari, and Jeki
Universo always gets the last word/thought
Fight scenes
Steeple
Strength is artificial

Downsides:
Ferro as Projectile: cliche and old
Ferro's impotence
Vi as a giant: just old
All the faces the same shape
The bright facial highlighting inhibited the emotions of p. 9 (though I LOVED the scene around the table. Like the diner scene from issue #20, there is so much there).

Well, I leave SOMETHING for others to say.

"I should not talk so much"

[ July 30, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
Blockade -talk as much as you want because you make some great points.

As for the Steeple priests helping Jekka deal with her new appearance... I kind of thought that was the point of Jekka talking with Ferro and the impact his situation may have on her. I read it through kind of quickly during lunch, but I got that impression. Of course, I have pulled stranger ideas out of my nether regions before.

I really liked the issue after a quick run-through. I'm looking forward to reading it again when I get home tonight.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, I think the Ferro-Sensor talk was definitely meant to have implications for Sensor adjusting to her appearance. I don't think her problems are anywhere near over, though, and I think some time either with Ferro or the monks would do her a lot of good...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
well i just had to read the SPOILERS [ through sqinted eyes though [Wink] ]

i can't wait to get my issue tomorrow !!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
A few additional points of interest, in case you can't resist spoilers:

Those who guessed that the Titanet empowered and freed Universo were correct. But if Universo is Titanian, as he indicates, why does he have pointy ears?

As anticipated, Shikari and Sensor suffer no permanent ill effects or changes crossing the threshold to Steeple. Their return with KK and Ferro to Legion World is even easier, thanks to Brainy's foresight.

Ferro was healed off-screen by the "harmonic powers" of the monks. I like the "new" Ferro, frozen in his bio-metal form. He just looks ... well, stronger.

The monks provide KK and Ferro with torques containing "harmonic crystals" that allow them to tap into Sensor's abilities, protecting them from psionic attack. But it turns out they impede KK's reflexes and strain Sensor's powers, and don't work too well against Universo after all.

Dreamer is strapped to the same type of confinement chair as Imra. Universo claims to have planted the image of Darkseid in Nura's mind to hide the threat he himself posed. "There's no Darkseid", he says. "That old evil is long gone from the stars."

Imra shows some signs of struggle and even mutters Universo's name.

Everyone's down at the end, finished off by a psi-blast from Universo, except that Sensor is seen trying to regain control.

Next issue: Deep, Dark, Truthful Mirror.

Some wild speculation:

Even if Imra does awaken next issue, I don't know how she could (1) escape from the confinement chair, or (2) get past the hypnotized Legionnaires, unless she gets some assistance from Sensor. I can't see either taking down Universo alone.

It's possible that Universo is wrong about one thing. Darkseid IS real, and it's Universo himself who's inadvertently awakened him by taking his image in vain. The solicitation for issue #23 (on the last page) suggests this might be true: "And .. somewhere .. Darkseid is lurking".

Very good issue overall, though I'm not a big fan of heavy fight scenes. The artwork is spectacular, imo.

[ July 30, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Tromium Crystal ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:
But if Universo is Titanian, as he indicates, why does he have pointy ears?

Didn't you know? Titan is where all Santa's elves come from. Or maybe Universo's dad is Spock. Or maybe he got his ears caught in a mechanical rice-picker!

More serious thoughts forthcoming once I let the issue digest for a bit.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Very positive reaction, but also want to digest for a bit...

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
The art is really shaping up VERY nicely.

Plus, Karate Kid is really starting to grow on me (still wish he'd change the name, though).

Triad, as always, kicked ass. I didn't realize her trijitsu was that powered-up, even in brainwashed mode -- you'd think a Carggite with three distinct personalities would be at a slight disadvantage where something like synchronized martial arts is concerned (compared to "normal" Carggites, at least).

Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Drake, I don't think Ferro was threatening to do anything with Sensor's vertebra. I think he was just warning her that Karate Kid would have.

Funny how Sensor forgot that she looked so different, she's only obsessed about it.

But, at least she was not as harsh in this issue as she was last.

Sensor & Shikari didn't mention that everyone was under the illusion that Darkseid was attacking?

And they decide that the best plan of action is to attack Universo with tons of Legionnaires present and under his control? I'd expect Sensor and Karate Kid to better appreciate stealth.

I suppose that ties into my overall feelings about the issue. In the last issue, the plan was clearly "discovery and escape." Here it just seemed to be "wander into a fight and get beaten."

It does a good job of introducing Universo, though. And I can't wait to get the finale.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I do agree that the total lack of a plan on behalf of the Legionnaires was a bit of a weakness to the issue... especially when Universo had already used the Legionnaires against Sensor and Shikari last issue. But maybe they have more up their sleeve than we've realized so far...
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
When Kari and Jekka escaped, the entire Legion was on Legion World. Perhaps they didn't expect the Legion to be on Titan.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.