Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Most illogical costumes? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most illogical costumes?
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Just wondering what you think are the most illogical costumes 30th/31st Centurians have been known to wear. Things like Nightgirl revealing as much skin as she could to the light, when she only had powers in the dark (given that limitation, I'd have worn a burka).

Suggestions?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Night Girl's non-outfit was the first thing that came to my mind as well, though I'd also vote for both Cosmic Boy's black Dr. Frankenfurter outfit and Colossal Boy's headpiece-but-no-sleeves-or-pantlegs number of the same era.

Mike Grell, who designed all three costumes, was an excellent artist, but as a costume designer, he left a lot to be desired.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i suppose BLOK had some costumes that weren't needed ??

even though i did like them !!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Night Girl's non-outfit was the first thing that came to my mind as well, though I'd also vote for both Cosmic Boy's black Dr. Frankenfurter outfit and Colossal Boy's headpiece-but-no-sleeves-or-pantlegs number of the same era.

Mike Grell, who designed all three costumes, was an excellent artist, but as a costume designer, he left a lot to be desired.

did Mike Grell ever give any interviews regarding his costume designs !!??

and why he designed some the way he did ??

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I also wondered about Laurel Kent barely there red wrap (although I liked the design)

I agree with everyone else about Cosmic Boy, Collosal Boy and NIght Girl.

Also, Saturn Girl's pink bikini really wasn't practical.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:

Actually, I was just thinking about the Blok with shoulderpads outfit -- there's a guy that definitely didn't need them.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
quote:

Actually, I was just thinking about the Blok with shoulderpads outfit -- there's a guy that definitely didn't need them.
very true !!! i did like that STEVE LIGHTLE design though !!! i really like how he drew BLOK !!!

Matthew.

Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
What about Triad's "loincloth" look? Seems very impractical for one who has to rely on man-to-man fighting. Seems there'd be too much flapping.

Do you think Polar Boy ever had trouble hearing with that big furry cap on his head?

And really, why would Duo Damsel have an outfit that split into orange and purple jumpsuits when she split? Talk about taking away the element of surprise. Everyone would know wether she was one or two people.

[ August 06, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Super Lad Kid ]

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Not really impractical, but why was Phantom Girls outfit all white? Didn't matter what color she wore, it would disappear with her anyway.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
While it factored into my early enjoyment of the Legion [Big Grin] , Saturn Girl's pink bikini outfit never really made sense... especially with the attempts to portray her as an ice-princess, "Old Iron-Butt".

Not that I'm reeeeaally complaining... [Love] [Wink] [Saturn Girl]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
did Mike Grell ever give any interviews regarding his costume designs !!??

and why he designed some the way he did ??

Haven't seen one.

I'm hoping this'll get covered in the Legion Companion book.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the biggest "Eh... WHY???" Legion costume has GOT to be Rokk's Grell-designed black bustier. I mean, it seems like the top of that thing would bruise his nipples something fierce.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Have to agree with Rokk's number from the Grell days. Did that costume really serve any function or point beside being a costume without pink or purple for Cos, because that's the only purpose for it I can think of. [Cosmic Boy] Then again, maybe they were trying to draw in some female readers. [Love] Can't blame 'em for trying!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Any costume with a thong seems pretty illogical to me.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
and high heels -- as are most capes.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.