Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Tell your story about ONE purchase of a Legion issue (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a Legion issue
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Starting with the Super-Stalag (Adventure 344-345) eh? It wasn't my first Legion issue but I think it was my first Adventure story (many years after it first saw print). Good stuff, I say.

Many people here love the 5YL (post-Magic Wars) stuff, me included. (Of course, many don't.) And as you can see from this thread some others have had multiple firsts too.

Oh yeah...and check the Mission Monitor Board in just a sec....

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Let's hear it, lads and lasses! I know you each have at least one story to tell.

quote:
First time you bought an issue, most recent time, or somewhere in between....
An issue you loved, an issue you didn't, or one that was ho-hum....
A shopping trip that was unusual in some way or one that was routine....

The circumstances don't matter. So go on, tell your story!

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
[Tornado Twins]
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
So weird the things we remember. I can also distinctly remember sitting in a rocking chair by the window in my Grandmother's living room reading NEW MUTANTS # 1 in the bright sunlight.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, I have a story.

You fine folks no doubt know about the massive Help File I compiled about the Legion. I wrote the pre-ZH portion of it prior to, and finished it just before, I got married.

I had already managed to collect most of the core Legion issues either in original or reprint. What I had a harder time finding was issues of Karate Kid and the issue of Kamandi that finishes the last story of that series. In order to complete that portion of the Help File, I actually borrowed some of those (and selected other peripheral Legion apprearance issues) from a fellow on CompuServe who thankfully was willing to trust me on returning them. (Fortunately, he was correct in that.)

Fast forward a few months later, I'm a newlywed, and my wife has spring break from college, and it's the Passover holiday from Yeshiva where I was learning. It's the perfect time for a two-day, inexpensive "honeymoon," so we decided to drive to Connecticut. At the time, I was very very into James Robinson's new Starman series, and one of the days of our trip was a new-comic Wednesday on which the next Starman was due out. While driving, I saw a sign for a comic shop ahead, so I asked my wife if we could stop briefly so I can pick up that comic.

As it turned out, their new issues hadn't yet arrived. But I checked out their back-issue bin, and lo and behold - Karate Kid # 15 and Kamandi # 59! A major hole in my collection filled!

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
So weird the things we remember. I can also distinctly remember sitting in a rocking chair by the window in my Grandmother's living room reading NEW MUTANTS # 1 in the bright sunlight.

You have inspired me to start a similar thread for all comics!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I am so totes an inspiration. *beams with space-pride*

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Get typing, sweetie. [Wonder Girl - Cassie Sandsmark]
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
In the summer of 1986, my family had just moved to a new town in the middle of farm-country in upstate NY. I had just turned 13, and was about to enter into my first year of high school in a school where I knew no one. Add to that the fact that, at the time, my parents were bickering constantly, and I was a kid desperately in need of escape.

One day in early August I just had to get away, so I set off on my ten-speed out into the middle of endless backroads and just rode for miles. After a while, I started getting thirsty and happened to ride up on an Agway farm feed store. I went in to get a drink and, to my surprise, they also had a comic spinner rack. I bought a Veryfine Papaya Punch, along with a Batman #401, Man of Steel #3, and, of course a Legion-y book: Secret Origins #8, featuring the origin of Shadow Lass.

I decided I wasn't ready to go home, so I stashed my bike behind the Agway, and walked into the woods further back, until I hit a stream. I sat down next to the stream, popped open my juice and, for the next hour or so, just... escaped.

I still have all three books and, even though sitting next to the stream warped them from the mist, I have no desire to get them replaced. It was really my best "comic book day" ever.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Ex, which town? I spend my summers in Sullivan County.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

I was on the flip side of the Catskills from you in a town called, Kinderhook, in Columbia County. Small world. A couple years back I met the poster, Kent Shakespeare, and we got talking about growing up in NY. Turns out that, as a kid, he was two or three towns over... and we actually knew the same people!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Chaim Mattis Keller

Kinderhook, eh? Is everything in town named after William Henry Harrison?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

Exnihil

One president off, Chaim. [Smile] Martin Van Buren.

--------------------

Chaim Mattis Keller

Drat. So much for my one shot at impressing you with my grasp of presidential trivia.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
It was my... I can't remember which birthday. But it was my birthday. No, more accurately, a month before my birthday.

My folks asked me what I wanted, and so I rushed to the local CBS and scrounged through the back issue bins. I was going to fill in gaps in my collection, dammit!

I fished out a copy of LSH v4 100, the finale to the Team20/30 storyline Post Zero Hour. And that was that.

The hard part was, my mom was adamant that I not open my gift until my birthday, so I had to wait 19 days before I could get my mitts on it! I knew where it was kept, so every day I'd drop by and gaze longingly at the cover.

My mom gave in after 7 days and let me have it early.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.