Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » WEIRDEST Legion comic you own! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WEIRDEST Legion comic you own!
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Not story- or art-wise, but in its physical properties.

Mine is SLSH 230. I paid 10 or 25 cents for this in used condition. I'd say secondhand except I think it's seen a hell of a lot more hands than that. It's pretty beat up, but while there are some tears along the top of the cover, it's intact and even hanging on by a staple. But what's strange is how floppy the paper is. (Ever put a backpack through the wash? It's like that.) I don't think I've seen a comic like it. Maybe spray starch (of space) can help?

Unrelated PS: a previous owner filled out the order form form for Crazy Crabs and did some cost figurin' on the bottom of the page. (Greeting card sales, bodybuilding, and toy soldiers didn't seem to capture the young reader's fancy however.)

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My copy of ADVENTURE COMICS # 346 was bought through a mail order service. The condition listed was "G-" ("Good minus"). It should have been "Poor." Not only is the cover faded and the pages frayed around the edges, but the cover has also been torn in half and taped back into place. Worse, somebody decide to get cute and draw in blue ink on it. Karate Kid is sporting bags under his eyes, a large frown, and is smoking a cigarette. Projectra, Ferro Lad and Nemesis Kid all have large noses (Jeckie's nose is even hooked!)and redrawn mouths.

Whoever decided to "improve" the art apparently didn't like Karate Kid. On page 10, where he is challenging Superboy, KK is sporting a couple of scars with stitches on his face, as if he'd already gone toe-to-toe with Superboy and lost.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I have not one, but TWO copies of Adventure 356 I bought through mail-order companies in supposedly Good condition. Both copies are incomplete, Fair at best, with the exact same defect-- they're both missing the three centerfold pages! I'd read the stories-- "5 Legion Orphans" and a reprint of Star Boy's first appearance from ADV 282-- but I like reading the letters pages. Both companies-- Lone Star and Mile High Comics-- refunded what I paid for the issue, but I still haven't read the lettercol from 356! You'd think after getting the defective copy from my first order, I would've asked Mile High to check the second one... [Roll Eyes]

(Dis)Honorable mention goes to a late-Adventure run issue-- I forget which, exactly-- that I got with nipples drawn on all the girl Legionnaires in red fine-tip marker...! [Eek!] [no]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov 2004:
(Dis)Honorable mention goes to a late-Adventure run issue-- I forget which, exactly-- that I got with nipples drawn on all the girl Legionnaires in red fine-tip marker...! [Eek!] [no]

Come, now. We know who really drew those nipples, don't we?
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I knew I shouldn't let you near my comics when you visited...! [Mad]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I thought it made sense, considering that you'd already drawn the nipples on all the male Legionnaires...! [lol]
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My copy of Adv. #247 would qualify as my weirdest copy due to condition. Its held together with duct tape.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Were you the one who applied the duct tape?
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Heck no! Its the condition I bought it in. I've had a couple of chances at poorer copies with better covers and even a couple of just covers from the issue on eBay before but I always lose out.

So until I can afford a better copy it'll remain the jewel of my collection, even if it is the weirdest one.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I suppose my issue with the weirdest aspect is the fact of now being on my fifth and sixth copies of "Superboy" 226, wherein Dawnstar had her debut.

I threw the others away.

And why? I've mentioned it at more length elsewhere, but here's the essence: On four occasions in my 20s and 30s, I decided collecting even a handful of comics was too childish, and I discarded 'em out of wholly private embarrassment.

Six years ago, I put a stop to such nonsense, and actually admitted Dawnstar was under my skin. So I'm up to ... three short boxes of comics. Takes time to change such things!

Oh, and those fifth and sixth copies? One, in VF/NM, is bagged and boarded. (One of only about ten getting that treatment.) And one, in VG, has the ads for GRIT, X-Ray Specs, et al., torn out. By ME, as I got tired of them on, oh, the 50th re-reading or so!

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I have the Adventure issue with the Time Trapper, Glorith and the Legion babies, although the cover and back cover are ripped off. And on every panel with the Time Trapper, someone drew eyeballs into his hood! I think that qualifies for weird...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
even though I was unable to remember what issue it was in but knowing that it was during Grell era and what the cover looks like...the lizardlike king was being protected by Superboy while blasting from Wildfire and Lightning Lad...something near #218? the one also spotlighted on Tinya and Jo...Jo went nuts when he thought that the planet where Tinya was in it exploded, losing temper and beating up the lizard king...until Superboy got a signal from Tinya...etc...

The weird part in that is that I DON'T remember HOW or WHEN or what did I got that book since I found it under my bed when I was sick and I was bored a big time...so I decided to check what's under my bed and here I found that book...Oh..."oh my god, superboy and the Legion?!?!?" I was so excited and got to read it right away - certainly cheered my day....but the question remained unanswered as I pondered on HOW did I get it and how did it get under my bed?? I happen to know that I bought Superboy/LSH #230 the first time...that's my first book. Yeah, weird!

I will never find out the truth. I don't think that my parents had something to do with it or even my best friend since he already had a copy of that book, too.

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Legion Fairy?

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
The Legion Fairy?

Who would that be? Lyle or Brainy? [Wink]
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Whichever one can magically make comics appear under a bed. (My money's on Lyle.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.