Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Calling the Roll of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #2... spoilers... (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Calling the Roll of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #2... spoilers...
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch:
NURA! They called her NURA!

I can't believe I didn't spot this until you mentioned it, Dean! But I didn't.

I still wonder if the Legionnaires know each other's civie ids-- or if they choose not to use them.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
S*QUIR
Kudos to Barry for this wierd and wonderfully imagined alien. How long did it take him to draw all those tentacles?! The interpreter (shades of Molecule Master) and delegates were nicely rendered too. I genuinely appreciate the loving care he puts into these secondary characters.

Definitely... I liked the in-story use of the alien's touch-communication and physical secretions, too.

quote:

DREAM GIRL
Her famous beauty mark has been replaced by star-shaped silver earrings. You can see them clearly on the next to last page.

Has she worn star earrings in other versions? Hmmm... maybe she's met Donna Troy.

quote:

Yet another vote for platinum hair. And why so thin? Prominent boobs aside, the girl could use a few more feminine curves. Love the shiny silver halter top and bracelets, but those low-slung, psychedelic tie-dyed pants ruin the overall effect, imo.

I *like* the clouds! I think there should be a bit of blue somewhere in her top, though, to tie it all together.

quote:

I wonder about the guy at the center of Nura's apocalyptic vision. If he's a villain, he's the most attractive baddie I've seen in ages. Bring him on!

You have a thing for fish-faced warriors? [Wink] Oh, you mean the *other* guy!
He is intriguing, isn't he? I wonder what those facial markings indicate?

quote:

By the look in her eyes, I think Nura was DEAD SERIOUS about B5. I never would have thunk it, but the prospect of these two together is absolutely tantalizing.

Y'know-- it'd be kind of cool if this is hinted at from time to time but isn't actually confirmed or denied for a good long time. Sort of like the Adult Legion stories from Adventure through LSH #300.

quote:

BRAINY
Nice dialogue. The creators are clearly in love with B5, but does he deserve a full page pin-up, not to mention 4 panels just to depict his reaction to Dreamy's little "joke"? If only they'd stolen a couple of panels from him to show Sun Boy and Chameleon trading blows.

While I wanted to see the dialogue leading up to the blows! [LOL]

I didn't begrudge Brainy the space, though. Clearly he's going to be a central part of the new legion. As he should.

quote:

So, 12th level intellect becomes "unparalleled" intellect. Yet his inability to process data quickly enough in the early scenes (even with the wires) suggests a real limitation.

So much we don't know-- what else might he have been working on? 'Unparalleled'= lots of wiggle room, for the writers.

I'll miss the concept of the 12 mostly independent tracks of thought, if they're no absent.

quote:

If Vril's, uh, Brainy's ambition to supplant the U.P. ever comes to fruition, we may have to send the Legion to take HIM down.

That's what I'm afraid of-- I'd really dislike that. Even if it is well-told and illustrated.

quote:

COSMIC BOY
This issue, "wry" Cos replaces "ballistic" Cos. Both seem odd to me, as if WaK had created an entirely new character and stuffed him in Rokk's body. Turning him into a practical joker (so where'd he get the goats?) didn't help matters, as if the writers were willing to try *anything*, however ludicrous, to make him interesting.

I guess Cos just grates on me, no matter how they depict him.

Love Cos-- turning deaf ear to Cos slams. Wonder who'll get the first honorary 'inspirational speech' this go round? Or the more desperate measure of Braalian Slap Therapy?

quote:

ELEMENT LAD a.k.a. MOLECULE MASTER II
"Molecular transmutation" suggests he's capable of altering compounds and there's no need for him to transmute (or in theory, even identify) the constituent elements first. So then what was that whole bit with Brainy about? Doesn't make sense to me.

Guess we'll have to wait for the E-Lad spotlight... whenever that gets scheduled.

quote:

I'm still not digging the wizard costume or the soul patch (ugh!), but I like his new-found spunk. The (remote) possibility of seeing a populated Trom makes me giddy.

I don't mind the soul-patch... it fits the mischievous facial expressions we've seen. And dovetails (at least for me) with Element Lad's earliest characterization in ADVENTURE.

quote:

SHADY
She's wearing stiletto heels. Who needs Umbra's mystical dark-field when you have lethal weapons of that caliber?

Now, now-- don't make fun of other races' physical characteristics. Didn't you know Talokian's have spiked *heels*-- and I don't mean just their shoes.

quote:

KARATE KID
Heh, I've been waiting a long time to see someone punch the crod out of him. That said, I prefer this KK to his previous incarnations. Nura was right. He's a dork, but he's an entertaining dork.

Entertainig dork? Wasn't that a movie?

He's also inventive-- creating (or adapting) his own martial art utilizing anti-gravity... spiffy.

quote:

MICRO LAD/ULTRA BOY
This was my second favorite panel, after page 1. I have real sophisticated reading tastes. [Smile]

Obviously.

quote:

I wish I could say this issue sold me on the new series, but the truth is I'm still suffering from LSH cognitive dissonance.

[LOL]

It passes. Mine did after Zero Hour. Curiously, in some cases it proffers immunity, while in others it fosters a tendency to catch the disease again and again.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
Brainy

I think its appropriate that Brainiac and some of the other Legionaires honestly want to see the United Planets dissolved. It makes the Legion movement more realistic.

We don't yet know that any other Legionnaires want this, do we?
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by MYG:
I can't tell you how much I love what we're seeing with the Legion! I have one question...was the fist fight between Cham and Sun Boy (supposedly they came to blows over religion according to Brainy) before or after their "civil" exchange in the first issue? Just curious.

Definitely after. The events of #2 take place a week after those of #1. In addition, the closing scene of #1 takes place some time after the battle on Lallor... which in turn takes place after the civil exchange earlier in #1.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Loser Lad:
I was more than a little bothered by the fact that Star Boy, who is pictured so prominently on the cover, didn't even get so much as a cameo in the story. After the first issue, I was looking forward to seeing a little more of him, as he was probably my favorite walking away from that issue. Why put him on the cover as opposed to Nura, who, you know, actually appeared in the book?!?

So next issue has Triplicate Girl on the cover. Does that mean I should be looking forward to a spotlight on Ultra Boy?!?

I don't mind when covers aren't *exact* reflections of what's inside... but they should *suffest* an *idea* of the contents.

And it should be a rule... one written someplace... that if a character appears on the cover, they gotta have a role in the issue. Doesn't have to be a starring role, but they gotta be there.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny B Loves Zoe:
Heck, Saturn Girl was there too- you think maybe somebody stuck the wrong cover on this issue? [Smile]

#2's cover on #1 would have made more sense. And #1's cover on #2 would have as well!
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Mario Di Giacomo:
Didn't Barry say something about the covers?

Ah yes, here it is:

quote:
The idea for the covers 1-6 was that they wouldn't be too related to the interiors but give a 'flavor' of the book. After #6 when a deal more of what's happening has been revealed they will be more story related...or that's the plan at least

Thanks for the quote, Mario. That sentiment is fine when it comes to cover composition, theme, etc. But I still say, if a character is looking out at me from a cover, I have a reasonable expectation to see that character somewhere in the book when I open its pages.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by THE LABRADORIAN:
are they trying to give the impression that JASON BLOOD/THE DEMON is the cause, or did it just look like that, maybe i should take another look?

Maybe not THE DEMON... but The Devil-Fish!
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe Cham, Jan, and KK were playing a new 31st century tag team version of chess...

I agree that the characters on the cover should appear in the book and that the covers to issues 1 and 2 would have been more appropriate if they were switched.

If the sky and clouds on Naltor are green, how come they're not green on Nura's pants?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Just got my copy yesterday. This was a remarkable issue.

Dream Girl -- hair color issues aside, this is clearly the ultimate Dream Girl, integrating all the best aspects of her previous incarnations (Flaky AND brilliant, non-chalant AND kick-ass, smart AND sexy) into a truly impressive new synthesis. Her relationship (?) to Brainiac 5 is brilliant, a great example of how starting the characters fresh from the beginning (rather than trying to re-tread the past) can lead to interesting, logical and entertaining new stories.

Karate Kid -- he reminds me a great deal of the original Shooter KK -- confident, physical, humorous, but very, very disciplined.

BTW, did anyone else get the impression that Dream Girl and Karate Kid have been more than just colleagues? In the whole "clock me/dream" sequence, he touches her hair & neck affectionately BEFORE she asks him to hit her, and then he seems very knowledgable about how her sleep-based visions work.

I also really love how Waid incorporated time/prophecy-oriented phrases into the Naltorians' dialogue. Especially "clock me!"

Brainiac 5 -- Why wouldn't the smartest man in the universe want to run it? This may turn out to be Brainy's central character arc for the new series (along with his possible Naltorian paramour). He clearly has the brains, but it takes more than brains to govern successfully. Again, the science/sorcery conflict seems obvious in retrospect, which means it is a brilliant insight by Waid to build a story around it.

Cosmic Boy -- A sense of humor, thank God!

Element Lad -- I like his distinctive look and it seems to fit very well with character. It's worth saying that one of the best things about Barry's art is that the Legionnaires DO look distinctive and like "real" people. I liked the implication of cultural/style differences in his banter with Karate Kid.

Shadow Lass -- Does she love the Legion because it's an excuse to hit people? I love her "dark elf" appearance. Again, she seems a true synthesis of past incarnations, not as clingy and melodramatic as the Shooter/Levitz Shady, but a more urbane, humorous and sophisticated tough-girl than the DnA Umbra.

A final note: there has been much justifiable discussion and praise for Barry's character designs (since we had such wonderful previews), but with LSH #2 I think we begin to see how good Mr. Waid is at making characters interesting, distinctive and humorous through very well-crafted dialogue.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch:
NURA! They called her NURA!

I can't believe I didn't spot this until you mentioned it, Dean! But I didn't.

I still wonder if the Legionnaires know each other's civie ids-- or if they choose not to use them.

I didn't notice it, either, so don't feel bad. But you could be right about the secret identities. OTOH, in a place as information rich as the UP, is it even possible to keep people from knowing who you are just by calling up info based on your face?

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
Brainy

I think its appropriate that Brainiac and some of the other Legionaires honestly want to see the United Planets dissolved. It makes the Legion movement more realistic.

We don't yet know that any other Legionnaires want this, do we?
I thought Brainy said he was replacing the SPs? Or was I just translating it that way in my head because I'm thinking police force SP to police force LSH?

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought this issue was really well done in every way. I can't find anything at all to bitch about, other than having to wait for the next issue.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
No, we don't but quite frankly it'd be unrealistic after Lallor that there isn't a militant faction.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mess
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mess   Email The Mess         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Brainiac 5 -- Why wouldn't the smartest man in the universe want to run it?

Because running it is a *lot* of work, and we genuises are a very lazy lot. If someone offered me the chance to rule the universe, I'd turn them down.

Well, maybe I'd take it just long enough to make it so lightning automatically struck telephone solicitors & spammers, but then I'd be out!

Others on this thread have mentioned Shady being depowered. If played accurately, shadow casting should be very powerful. After all, most futuristic weaponry is usually portrayed as light based, she should be able to effectively make forcefields against laser and similar weaponry.

Of course, Brainy's forcefield (assuming he still has one) should be easily penetrated by lasers since you can see him through it, it's clearly light permeable. And yet, Brainy's field was always presented as being proof against lasers while Shady's field let lasers right through. Makes no sense. Don't these comic book authors understand basic physics???

Um, pretend I never asked that.

--------------------
Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar...

From: That's what THEY want to know | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.