Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Calling the Roll of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #2... spoilers... (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Calling the Roll of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #2... spoilers...
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
It did come up in JLA's Rock of Ages arc. The Atom realized that since he could see Darkseid, light could get through his force field. So he miniaturized and rode through on the light from a flare.

Other than that, I guess we have to assume that all these fields block light above a certain intensity. And let oxygen and CO2 through, but nothing bad. Or something.

But I agree, I always thought Shady and Invisible Kid should form the Legion Anti-Laser Squad.

[ February 02, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: SiliconDream ]

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Infectious Drura
long live the lesions

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infectious Drura   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't mind Shady being 'depowered'. I never liked that darkfield 'shadow force blast' stuff. Simple projection of darkness is a classic simple power. I never understood why they messed that up by introducing this nebulous 'mystical darkfield' thing. Shadowcasting is straightforward, a classic superpower rooted in the real world (whic is to say there are shadows in the real world, but what *are* mystical darkfields? they simply don't exist, the concept is just vague and annoying.)

Jim Shooter in her first few appearances wrote her power intrestingly and well, and that's about the only time it was! Honestly, for all the years she was an active Legionnaire, I think I can only recall her using her power twice. In every damn story for 25 years all she seemed to do was gaze into Mon-el's eyes and say 'my love' [Disgusting]

I always liked the character, almost always hated how she was written.

Needless to say I really liked Umbra! (BTW, if you read her origin in 'legends of the legion' you see exactly why reboot Tasmia was so much more edgy and angry than the Earth 1 one. She was brought up only seeing her mother twice in rituals where they couldn't speak! Had E1 Tasmia had such an upbringing she probably would have been angry and all too. So the two versions of that character aren't really that far apart.)

Anyway I'm liking this version of her so far. A very good balance of the previous two. If Mon-el turns up please don't have her saying 'my love' and clinging to him for 30 years, please? [Razz] Because I hated that. I really really really hated that [Wink]

Oh and I hate the colour of Nura's hair too. Platinum please! The shade of yellow chosen is a particularly unpleasant sickly shade that reminds me of dried egg/vomit/urine. Sorry to be indelicate but it has to be said! How can Dream Girl be Dream Girl when her hair reminds you of weewee?

Give Nura back her proper hair colour!!! [Razz]

--------------------
Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!

From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree 100% with everything that Infectious Drura just said.

I much prefer Shady with simple shadow casting powers too. When she got that darkforce-whatever-it-was power in the reboot all she did was become just another blasty character who stood there and pointed at things. Boring! This Shady needs her wits about her and I find that 1000 times more interesting.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Maybe Cham, Jan, and KK were playing a new 31st century tag team version of chess...

Ha! So who was KK's partner?

quote:

I agree that the characters on the cover should appear in the book and that the covers to issues 1 and 2 would have been more appropriate if they were switched.

They really should've... Star Boy and Shady have in common the fact that they could potentially be members of a heroic lineage dating back the 'Heroic Age' revered by the LSH. We don't yet *know* that they are, though. And, of course, Brainy has his own DC lineage backing him as the central figure on #1.

quote:

If the sky and clouds on Naltor are green, how come they're not green on Nura's pants?

GREAT question! Why aren't they? Maybe Naltor has blue skies and white clouds during part of their year?
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
quote:

If the sky and clouds on Naltor are green, how come they're not green on Nura's pants?

GREAT question! Why aren't they? Maybe Naltor has blue skies and white clouds during part of their year? [/QB]
Let's go for the simpler approach. Maybe she bought them on Earth.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Dream Girl -- hair color issues aside, this is clearly the ultimate Dream Girl, integrating all the best aspects of her previous incarnations (Flaky AND brilliant, non-chalant AND kick-ass, smart AND sexy) into a truly impressive new synthesis. Her relationship (?) to Brainiac 5 is brilliant, a great example of how starting the characters fresh from the beginning (rather than trying to re-tread the past) can lead to interesting, logical and entertaining new stories.

'Ultimate' after one issue? Wow... I loved her here, too... but it'll take a bit more to earn ultimate from me.

I am enjoying, in a way, how our expectations for these characters are being played with... so far, in a way that is entertaining without being... hmmm... overly manipulative or cruel. Of course, it's also a bit frustrating (just a bit) to see character bits/traits jettisoned that were well-liked.

quote:

Karate Kid -- he reminds me a great deal of the original Shooter KK -- confident, physical, humorous, but very, very disciplined.

You're right-- Shooter seems to be an influence for KK... just as the ADVENTURE Sun Boy and possibly Element Lad are the 'source material' for those characters. So far...

quote:

BTW, did anyone else get the impression that Dream Girl and Karate Kid have been more than just colleagues? In the whole "clock me/dream" sequence, he touches her hair & neck affectionately BEFORE she asks him to hit her, and then he seems very knowledgable about how her sleep-based visions work.

I don't think so... KKid was in zen-practitioner mode here. That doesn't mean he and Dreamy *didn't* have an earlier 'thing'... but I don't think his touching her here or use of 'chakras' was referencing that.

quote:

I also really love how Waid incorporated time/prophecy-oriented phrases into the Naltorians' dialogue. Especially "clock me!"

That was a nice touch. Not overly done, either.

quote:

Brainiac 5 -- Why wouldn't the smartest man in the universe want to run it? This may turn out to be Brainy's central character arc for the new series (along with his possible Naltorian paramour). He clearly has the brains, but it takes more than brains to govern successfully. Again, the science/sorcery conflict seems obvious in retrospect, which means it is a brilliant insight by Waid to build a story around it.

As I've said, I'm not sold on this Brainy yet. The 'takeover' comment worries me more than making me nod my head 'yes'.

quote:

Cosmic Boy -- A sense of humor, thank God!

Always welcome in a character. Let's hope it's consistently used.

quote:

Element Lad -- I like his distinctive look and it seems to fit very well with character. It's worth saying that one of the best things about Barry's art is that the Legionnaires DO look distinctive and like "real" people. I liked the implication of cultural/style differences in his banter with Karate Kid.

I liked that difference between the Lad and the Kid, too. And I'm glad you read it as banter, as I did.

quote:

Shadow Lass -- Does she love the Legion because it's an excuse to hit people? I love her "dark elf" appearance. Again, she seems a true synthesis of past incarnations, not as clingy and melodramatic as the Shooter/Levitz Shady, but a more urbane, humorous and sophisticated tough-girl than the DnA Umbra.

That would be an... interesting... heroic motivation. Honest, though. Careful about the clinginess, though... M'onel/Mon-el hasn't shown up yet (maybe *he'll* be the clingy one this time... though I hope they don't get paired up at all).
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
I didn't notice it, either, so don't feel bad. But you could be right about the secret identities. OTOH, in a place as information rich as the UP, is it even possible to keep people from knowing who you are just by calling up info based on your face?

Maybe the flight rings somehow scramble visual tech? Just enough to obscure the faces? Perhaps it's so subtle that the SP/media/UP don't even realize they're being fed incorrect visual info...

...sounds like this could be a good way to introduce a Computo.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
I thought this issue was really well done in every way. I can't find anything at all to bitch about, other than having to wait for the next issue.

Which is probably a comics creator's most wished-for compliment. Just 18 or so days...
Mystery Lad
Advisor

About Shady-- I always wanted her to visit Kathoon and have Night Girl's father do to Shadow Lass whatever he did to Lydda. Her power might only work if she wrapped herself in a tight 'shadowskin'... so it'd be a visual thing. Whenever you see Shady 'blackout', you'd know she was ready for some superstrong feat or other.

I wasn't all that crazy about the 'dark lantern' power... though I did find the cloud of shadow ancestors *very* intriguing, and was sorry even DNA seemed to drop it so quickly.

The poster Shadowplay in Candlelight suggested that Umbra and her communication with her ancestors was a subtle mixing of the preboot Shadow Lass with her Talokian foe, Lady Memory. I thought that was an insightful bit of extraploation.

The other power-use I've sometimes imagined for Shady is the ability to read shadows, thereby viewing events of the past.

Beagz
5 of 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagz   Email Beagz         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Mystery Lad:
BRAINIAC 5: [We now know he's '5' and from Colu] "How handwringingly dramatic." Detached, take charge, sarcastic, distrustful of what he doesn't understand (here, Dream Girl and Naltorians, in general), didactic... all qualities exhibited by Brainiac 5 in other boots. But, so far, I'm not warming up to *this* Brainy, though he does make the 31st century's best joke-butt.

I dunno. I thought Brainy was coming across as a spoiled brat who just found out maybe he *WASN'T* the best thing around for most of the issue. But there was one thing that turned me around on his character.

Maybe it's odd to do a 180 on just one scene - one bit of dialogue - but this totally changed my outlook on him.

"Can you not allow for the possibility that one of them might be so moved by that experience that he or she might find a way to AVERT it? All it would take is for one future casualty -- Just ONE -- to find the will to break the lockstep of destiny. If that happens, all probability shifts."

Even continuing the explanation, where he could get a tiny dig in, depending on how you read it:

"The universe is more unpredictable than we give it credit for. Your predictions don't HAVE to be infallible."

I guess maybe I just read it differently, but I read that as more of an assurance ... possibly support of what the Legion did on Naltor. I think this opens up a whole new side of Brainy. My only question about him now is ... if he's so freakin' smart, shouldn't he know you don't end a sentence in a preposition?????

I did enjoy Dream Girl in this issue. I liked the fact that she had problems keeping "visions" and "current reality" apart. That was always something that impressed me with all the other versions ... how could they possibly keep things straight??? After all, I know that I can have some dreams and wake up in the middle of them, not sure if they were real or not. So it would make sense for a precog to have problems ... at least initially.

I also like the fact that she's a little flirty and doesn't seem to take herself too seriously.
"'What's she going to do next?' Look at my EYES ... which are UP HERE, by the way..."
Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a guy. But I found that little bit driving home the point that these are people aware of their surroundings. They also seem to be aware of themselves.

It was also refreshing to see the teamwork of Dreamy, KK and Shadow Lass. I think we also got a hint of the powers of Titan in that instance. If they can be distracted, then their powers don't work. Might be something to file away for future use.

[ February 14, 2005, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Beagz ]

--------------------
You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.

From: Aggieland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rurouni KJS
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rurouni KJS   Email Rurouni KJS         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Infectious Drura:
If Mon-el turns up please don't have her saying 'my love' and clinging to him for 30 years, please? [Razz] Because I hated that. I really really really hated that [Wink]

I guess you hated it, then.

I know what you mean, though. It's always been jarring to read preboot Shadow Lass and see how utterly wimpy she is compared to the Tasmia I "fell for" in the rookies' issue in the reboot (also notable for being -- 'ow you say? -- le appearance premiére of Ze Tongue!!!!!!!1!!!1 [Razz] ). And guess what? That initial version of Umbra had "mere" shadowcasting powers, which were quite mighty in their own right, able to absorb any form of radiation (as she did to aid the wounded Radion).

What the heck was I talking about?

Uh...

This Shady is a good blend of both so far. And I hope Mon-el never shows up if it's gonna turn her into the little wifey all over again. We know Waid's got a powerful romantic streak in him, based on his Flash run...

--------------------
-- Still here to help.

From: ATL, fool!!! WHAT!!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mess
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mess   Email The Mess         Edit/Delete Post     
Romantic plots should and don't require wishy-washy females. For that matter, Linda Park, while sometimes the damsel in distress, was never quite as limp as Mon-el attached Shady.

--------------------
Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar...

From: That's what THEY want to know | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.