Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » POLL: U pick 2! Favorite LSH Artist! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: POLL: U pick 2! Favorite LSH Artist!
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Giffen was the hard one for me. I loved Annual 1 and the GDS but for me 5YL was spoiled by his artwork. So on balance didn't vote for him
From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
That was insanely hard. I voted without reading the thread first, so I have all sorts of buyer's remorse now about not voting for others.

(Cockrum, for intance. I was never a fan of his figure-work, but he made the best costumes!)

I picked Lightle and Manapul. Why? I'm shallow, they draw the sexiest Legionnaires!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
grell beating cockrum and swan???!!!
who knew?

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uranus Lad
substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uranus Lad   Email Uranus Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I voted for Giffen and Jason Pearson. This WAS hard because I fell in love with the Legion during Grell's run and still have a certain fondness Plus HE drew the sexiest Legion. I mean c'mon most of them were practically naked! Liked Cockrum, Immonen, Batista(2 very underrated Legion artists IMO), Kitson and would add Gary Frank even though he's never worked on an ACTUAL Legion book. Still, I feel pretty confident in my votes.

--------------------
Is that a moon?

From: Portland, OR | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Grell and Giffen... because of their excellent character depictions with a major dose of personal nostalgia.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I had to vote fast before I changed my mind.

Next two for me would have been:
Grell and
Other: Calero.

From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This thread may have made me realize that when all is said and done, Giffen is my favorite Legion artist of all time.

I went with Dave for #2, but that's when it starts to get close...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, our tastes match up. I too voted for Mister Cockrum and Mister Giffen. Giffen definitely takes it all for me, and seeing his artwork anytime on a legion book is a real treat for me. I love his Great Darkness-era style, the weirdness and distortion of the Omen/Prophet era, the big-lipped, ruffled-shirt 5YL stuff... and his Post-boot issue with DnA kicked nass.

The only Giffen art I've not enjoyed is his Trencher style, which I find too abstract for my taste, and which he did apply to (iirc) a couple of pages (mid-story!!) of one issue of the 5YL LSH.

It was VERY VERY difficult to not vote for Curt Swan, though.

I'm thinking next time, maybe a "best of the rest" poll featuring the artists that didn't make the cut this time, or expanding it to a giant mega-poll "Top 10 choices", so no one will have to leave out an artist they love.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
grell beating cockrum and swan???!!!
who knew?

I was a little surprised as well, but then I figure... Grell *did* have a considerable tenure on the book, at a time when it was re-reaching heights of popularity. A lot of those fans that came on-board during his run are still around (like me... though I didn't vote for him!), so it makes sense I guess...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I was flipping through my LSH box the other day and ran across the latter-day DnA issues of "The Legion"... Batista really was a good artist... and then there's a couple of Lightle issues too, plus that Giffen issue, the cool covers on the Simone issues... I think it's past time for a re-read of the entire "THE LEGION" series.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
You might be right on that. I remember really liking Batista's art in 52, though I never really gave it a second glance in the Legion. I'm considering an entire reread of the Reboot too to take a second look at Moy's work.

And yeah, Swan's work is so essential to the Legion. I really like John Forte's work a lot too, maybe as much as I like Swan's.

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Cobie, our tastes match up. I too voted for Mister Cockrum and Mister Giffen. Giffen definitely takes it all for me, and seeing his artwork anytime on a legion book is a real treat for me. I love his Great Darkness-era style, the weirdness and distortion of the Omen/Prophet era, the big-lipped, ruffled-shirt 5YL stuff... and his Post-boot issue with DnA kicked nass.

The only Giffen art I've not enjoyed is his Trencher style, which I find too abstract for my taste, and which he did apply to (iirc) a couple of pages (mid-story!!) of one issue of the 5YL LSH.

Like you, I like all the versions of Giffen's work. That's actually what tips him into being my #1. He's just been able to change and grow so much over the years. I don't mind the Trencher style, just not on the Legion (Trencher was kind of a cool/weird comic).

Probably Grell is my #3 (though this is where it gets more difficult).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It was really a tough vote for me...lots of very, very good names there! In the end I didn't go with either Cockrum or Grell.

I've read Cockrum's stories, and the costumes were certainly innovative. But I think I didn't go with him because many of the stylistic elements I enjoy about his art didn't really evolve until after his Legion work and specifically on his X-Men stories. I wasn't going to vote for someone whose non-Legion work I preferred. Do most people here feel his Legion work really ranks with his X-Men work?

As for Grell, I simply haven't seen most of his Legion art. From what I have seen, though, he's again likely have gotten my vote due to his post-Legion work. Both he and Cockrum were undeniably excellent on the Legion, but neither was really in the running based on my criteria.

It was still tough, though because I connected a lot with artsits like Copiel, Immonen, Batista, Moy, Pearson, Laroque (I was sad to see he's gotten no votes) and Kitson. Giff was hard, but end the end I decided some of his style choices left me cold, especially during the late Baxter run.

So I went with Lightle and Swan. These are two beautiful timeless styles that I love a lot.

Lightle's run was pretty short, but, combined with his staying on covers a good while, possibly the most gorgeous Legion art I've ever seen.

And Swan...definitely the best of the Silver Age which was so crucial to defining the Legion. Swan's style definitely had that DC "Silver Age" look to it, but simultaneously was ahead of its time. He drew the definitive Superboy and Superman and definitely the definitive classic Legion.

So it was a hard choice, but definitely one I feel pretty good about. I wonder what the results would've been had we only been allowed to pick one?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

re: Cockrum's LSH work... I do find it on par with his X-stuff (FIRST run only) by the Duo Damsel-starring "War Between the Night & Days". But all-time absolute favorite Cockrum artwork has got to be on X-MEN # 100, possibly the most-beautifully drawn comic book of ALL time.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't care as much for his second run on X, Lash?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

It was still Cockrum, but the lines were thicker and less elegant... it may have been the inker or a change in Dave's style... but it was ever-so-slightly DIFFERENT. Blockier.

For me, the last top-level Cockrum art was on FUTURIANS, which I just re-read recently (the graphic novel and issues 1-3 & 0). His stuff from the sexond X-run on was still enjoyable but not in the top-tiers with his Avengers, LSH, first X-Men and Futurians run.

I still, however, count him as my very first FAVORITE artist, and I treasure ALL the comics he drew.

What did you think about it, Lardikens? Other Cockrum fans, too. Am I just seeing things wrong?

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.