Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » POLL: U pick 2! Favorite LSH Artist! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: POLL: U pick 2! Favorite LSH Artist!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, as a teenager, Cockrum's style on X-Men (which is still my main exposure to him--haven't read his Avengers or Futurians) took some getting used to. I guess in a way it seemed somehow more exaggerated and cartoony than, say, Byrne's style.

Note: I should also mention that I was only recently exposed to Dave's Legion work thru the Archives. Obviously his art is great and really helped transition LSH out of the Silver Age. I do think that the overall low quality and relative insignificance (obviously with some exceptions) of the Cary Bates scripts he drew don't help my view. It's hard for me to extoll a great artist's run when the stories didn't exactly impress me.

As I got older and looked back, Dave was clearly one of the very best X-Men artists, and I feel the style that evolved over both runs was the definitive Cockrum. One signature of this, for me, is that "thicker line" you refer to, I think. Some of my favorite stories of his are the Belasco arc, the Nightcrawler miniseries and anything he did with the Starjammers. I also think his new X-Men, Starjammers and Futurians costumesIare the best he ever did. I think the stylistic flair I associate with him really shine in those stories and designs. To me, they're miles away from his Legion run.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
In an odd way, I was introduced to Cockrum's work through various fill-ins (Spectacular Spider-Man and Iron Man I think), and then I first saw his X-Men stuff before the Legion. Which was spectacular, and I loved.

But it wasn't until after I met the LMB online and probably just before Legion World opened that I first saw Cockrum's Legion stories, which (to me) had this whole mystique to them as the Legoin stories I never got to see. And I loved them; these were the issues that made me really 'find' Dave Cockrum and learn about how great he was. I read those X-Men stories first, and maybe it was because I was so pumped on Byrne's run (which I read even before that) that I didn't give them the credit they deserve. But his Legion stuff...many it just blew me away.

His Dream Girl, Tenzil, Cham, even Superboy, all felt so different and fresh to me. And I was reading these in 2002 (in the Archive volume with the majority of his Legoin stuff).

So yeah, I like his Legion work better than his X-Men work. There are a handful of times when I've read an era of the Legion where I really felt like there was suddenly a whole new world to this concept I've been aware of for a very long time. And both Giffen's run with Levitz and Cockrum's run are probably the two most dramatic times I've felt that sense of fresh/grandiose/something just feels really different. Certainly other eras have that, but those in particular.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
PS - I've never even opened a Futurians comic before. Suddenly I feel the urge to do so!

PPS - I can understand why some people might pick Copiel for the reasons I stated in my post. To me I think his best work has been all the stuff he's done since. He's been able to take mediocre stories (House of M) and make them look magnificent. I keep hoping JMS will shock me with Thor and give us a writer/artist combo on Thor that will be simply amazing.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
In a funny way, I always thought of Cockrum's work on the X-Men almost as if he were still drawing the Legion.

Especially with the Imperial Guard connection.

But the Krakoa issue introducing the All-New, All-Different X-men could easily have been a LSH issue, too.

Sub Saturn Girl for Professor X, make the vignettes introducing the characters occur on different planets, rather than different nations, make Krakoa a living planetoid instead of a living island and it could read like a LSH tale.

Then again, I was exposed to Grell before Cockrum on the LSH-- though I'm pretty sure I read a couple of Cockrum's issues before getting my hands on GS X-men #1, which I recall buying off the comic rack at a 7-11, as I do remember thinking of Cockrum as a LSH artist... which is a jumbled way of saying that my early comic book reading memories ain't so clear-cut.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
47 votes in ,and it looks like the battle of the G's!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I voted for Curt Swan & Jim Sherman. Dave Cockrum & Keith Giffen were a close 3rd & 4th.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I voted for Grell and Coipel. I regretted not voting of Swan, Cockrum, Sherman, Giffen, Lightle, Calero, and Manapul.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
This vote was easy for me. Dave Cockrum #1 and Steve Lightle #2.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! At 14 votes apiece we currently have a tie!

(and I didn't vote for any of them [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
#1 for me is easy - Giffen. It was his non-traditional, dark style that drew me to the Legion in the first place with the TMK relaunch. (after Giffen did an issue of "Justice" I bought the "Dr Fate" mini because of his art, then found the Legion) I was also a fan of the other styles he went through (especially during that last Emerald Empress story)

#2 wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be - Coipel. It was maybe the only time I've been more excited about looking at the art when a new issue would come out more than reading the story.

Sprouse is also up there in my mind and I'd also like to throw in for honorable mention someone who I think would've been a huge fan favorite had he worked on the title longer or on more memorable stories -- Terry Shoemaker.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Sherman! Sherman! Sherman!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Greg LaRocque -- Sensuous and sensitive, with women who look like real women. Also had a sense of scale that's been truly unsung.

Dave Cockrum -- The definitive LSH costumes in my opinion; he was the first fan-turned-professional to draw the Legion, and his enthusiasm was in every line.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daryl
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daryl   Email Daryl         Edit/Delete Post     
Pat Broderick was always my favorite.
From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I chose Swan and Cockrum, but it was really hard to pass up Sherman, Coipel, and Kitson.

Can't BELIEVE so many people are voting for Grell. BLECCCCHHH!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
72 votes in, and we have a fairly firmly established top 5, and one that I can actually completely agree with...

order of first LSH work

Swan-- Unforgettable Silver-Age tales, reprinted fairly often in the 70s during the reigns of...

both Cockrum and Grell-- Who were no-doubt key to the title's success in the 1970s.

Giffen-- Indisputably rules the Legion's 1980s era artistically. That 5YL stuff wasn't so bad either.

Coipel-- Instrumental in throwing some much-needed attention toward the Legion after a long period of decline saleswise.

Of course it should be noted there's over 2 weeks of voting left, but I don't see the stats changing too much... (I'm just ASKING for it, aren't I?)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.