Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » POLL: U pick 2! Favorite LSH Artist! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: POLL: U pick 2! Favorite LSH Artist!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, and that's pretty nice that 60s, 70s 80s AND 90s Legions are represented...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Gif and Lightle (top three would have included Coipel) with Manapul coming up on the outside.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
It's interesting that DC is doing so well...I think he only actually drew about 10 Legion stories, and about 6 of them were backups.

He got my vote too FWIW, but I'm surprised he's doing as well as he's doing.

Just out of curiosity...

Does anyone know which artist has actually drawn the most Legion stories?

I think it's between Giffen, Kitson and LaRoque. If you include L.E.G.I.O.N., I believe Kitson has drawn the most Legion stories, in a runaway..if you don't include L.E.G.I.O.N. I think it goes like this:

Giffen
LaRoque
Kitson.

Swan might possibly sneak in there after Giffen...I think he drew about 40 Legion stories.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daxamite
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daxamite   Email Daxamite         Edit/Delete Post     
Curt swan definitely not getting the love he deserves. He's simply one of the best comic artists ever. Probably too many youngsters here, who are not that familiar with his Legion work.

Giffen is an interesting choice. At his his best, he was right up there with the top Legion artists. At his worst, he drove me off the book after following it for almost 20 years. He might score high in a best artist poll as well as a worst artist poll.

I ended up voting for Swan and Grell, if I got to choose a third, it probably would have been Kitson.

Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Dang you Lash, for restricting us to a mere two votes!

I couldn't give Giffen a vote, as I've never been a fan of his artwork (outside of Ambush Bug).

In the end I went with Lightle and Sherman. I'm sure I gave Sherman the vote because he was drawing the book as I first discovered it!

What an awesome caliber of artists to have to choose from!! The Legion has been blessed!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
And the winner is.

-

I just wonder what could have been, If DC gave Dave his creative freedom and his art back.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Adam Hughes! OMG! Fantastic, beautiful, awesome, etc etc.

Great thread Lash and I have to agree that it's SO hard to pick some of these over others. I LOVE Steve's art and Stuart did some incredible work but MY favorite all time (short run) artist on the Legion is Jim Sherman. I've always hated the fact that he was such a perfectionist that he was slow to turn his work. *sigh*

A second pick was almost impossible, I love so many of the Legion artists. Curse Marvel for stealing Dave Cockrum!

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Last week to vote!

Coming soon:

Favorite LSH artist: BEST of the REST!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Less than 24 hours to vote!!!!

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Giffen
and
Coipel

hard to choose only 2. Grell, Sherman and Immomen are also faves.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Absolute last chance to vote!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

All done. Let's observe our final tallies:

John FORTE 2% (2) Forte got some support. I guess his style seems almost primitive when judged against some of todays artists, but if one observes his panels closely, one can spot the most charming stuff going on.

Curt SWAN 19% (16) Our 4th place finisher, and rightfully deserving of top 5 status. I cannot even fathom those classic 60s two-parters drawn by anyone else. Surely Swan is owed a debt of gratitude by all legion fans.

Win MORTIMER 0% (0) This one hurt a little. Mortimer's stuff is A-OK in my book. His art was "groovy"... there is no other word for it.

Dave COCKRUM 35% (29) Our clear 1st place finisher. This is made even more spectacular by the fact that he drew SO FEW pages of LSH stories. His influence lives on to this day.

Mike GRELL 24% (20) Tying for 2nd place with Giffen, Grell enjoyed the post-Cockrum flush of new readers and kept the title growing in popularity.

James SHERMAN 13% (11) Another artist whose tenure was far too short, Sherman's artwork was nonetheless groundbreaking.

Jimmy JANES 0% (0) While I find it a little sad that Janes had zero votes, I don't find it all surprising. Definitely the weakest on this list, for my money.

Keith GIFFEN 24% (20) In a tie for 2nd with Grell, Giffen owns the 80s (and early 90s) just as Cockrum, Grell and Sherman co-owned the 70s.

Steve LIGHTLE 17% (14) Giffen's followup on the LSH teetered very closely to the top 5, finishing in 6th place.

Greg LAROQUE 1% (1) LaRoque's run was strong but lacked the flashier, slicker appeal of Cockrum, Giffen, Grell etc.

Jason PEARSON 2% (2) Pearson's stylized, cartoony work drew some flak at the time but I loved it.

Stuart IMMONEN 1% (1) The anti-Pearson, Immonen seemed to be more from the Adam Hughes school of artistry. I'm surprised he didn't fare better,

Jeff MOY 6% (5) A fair amount of support for this longtime artist.

Olivier COIPEL 18% (15) Our 5th place finisher, I recently re-read Coipel's THE LEGION run, and can state that not since Sherman has the book seen an artist so groundbreaking. In fact, I call Coipel the reboot era's Sherman.

Chris BATISTA 5% (4) Not a bad showing, I remember liking his stuff a lot. I'm about to begin re-reading his run.

Barry KITSON 12% (10) Kitson gets more votes than I would have guessed for such a (IMO) lackluster run. In all fairness, the art was always better than the stories. Could be folks remember that awesome run on L.E.G.I.O.N fondly as well.

Francis MANAPUL 4% (3) The new guy makes a fair splash for a run still in the toddler stage!

But enough of my opinions...how about yours?

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I've selected 17 artists from LSH fistory... pick your 2 favorites!

DISCLAIMER: No slight intended if your fave is not included. Some, like Ditko, Starlin and Staton I rejected from inclusion because the bulk of their huge output of work is NOT associated with the Legion. Feel free to choose "other" and write-in any past LSH artist you like.

I may need to update this poll...

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.