Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Personalities of Legionnaires (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Personalities of Legionnaires
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi, there! I been wondering what the views are on the various personalities of the Legionnaires. What is your take on your favorite Legionnaires and why do you think they act the way that they do? What do you think are the most obvious personality traits (both good and bad)? How do you think they relate to romance and relationships? Who's a hot head and who's not? Which Legionnaires make strong leaders and who are the followers? Who is able to manipulate others the best and who lets themselves be jerked around by the others?

I'm hoping the discussion will serve two objectives....

1. Good discussion and evaluation of the characters.
2. An assortment of ideas to include in my RPG.

Here's hoping for a long lasting thread!
I have read the interviews of Jim Shooter from 1976 and Tom and Mary Bierbaum in 2000 from the Encyclopedia Glaactica forum already. What I would really like to see is a more overall view from the readers.

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I want to participate, but this will take some time to put together... I'll likely follow the Shooter/Bierbaums format... just need a little time.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Okay, I'll go in bite-sized chunks.

My own personality guides, if I were writing the LSH... in order of membership... starting with the founders...

COSMIC BOY

The typical all-American athelete if Americans existed on Braal. A natural leader people want to follow because he is as smart as he is attractive (get it?). This ex-jock does have a dark side that he keeps well-hidden, but it can be brought to light under the right circumstances. As a former Magnoball champion, Cosmic Boy is a firm believer in the 'giving it all for the team' philosophy and does not suffer well anyone who seeks to damage the team's spirit or strength in any way.

SATURN GIRL

With an intelligence even a Coluan would respect, Saturn Girl is a young lady that inspires respect as well as awe and fear. A role model for young sentients United Planets-wide, Saturn Girl tries hard to uphold the standard which she feels the public holds her to. She would be devestated if her playful side were ever to be exposed, so she tends to focus on poise and dignity, while all the while aware of the discomfort her being a mind-reader can cause. She is likely one of the most-requested Legionnaires to have on missions.

LIGHTNING LAD

A "family man" at heart, Lightning Lad would like nothing more than to one day settle down with his wife and lots of kids running around. Also a bit of a "hot-head", Lightning Lad is fiercely protective, sometimes overprotective even, of the people he loves and considers "his". Since losing his brother and meeting Cosmic Boy, Garth looks upon Cosmic Boy as a sort-of substitue for his older brother and treats him with much respect. Garth considers his fellow founders and (to a lesser extent) Phantom Girl and Triad his "adopted family" on Earth and, while protective of the entire Legion, is fiercely protective of those 4 in particular.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Are we doing the current incarnation or should we address all reboots?

There were threads that were dedicated to dissecting characteristics of individual Legionnaires, which might be helpful. I think there were at least three maybe? I don't remember what they were called though... maybe someone else who remembers can dig it up.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Great write-ups MLLASH.

I see Saturn Girl slightly different. As a telepath, she needs to be and was trained to be in control. This control manifests itself in two ways. One, Irma keeps a tight lid on her emotional and mental state. She knows the consequences (to herself and others) if she were to lose control of her power. This causes others to see her as an Ice Queen. Two, the need to be in control makes Irma want to be the leader. Luckily, she has some talent for leading. She is also very assertive. This is part of what makes her a good leader.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

that was fun!

Okay, the first recruit...

TRIAD

There was a reason Triad was the first recruit... she is amazingly likeable. A bubbly, infectious personality... and a brash, boisterous, fun-loving personality... and a shyer, quieter reserved personality... something for everyone! Triad is one of the most accomplished Legionnaires at hand to hand combat and was in fact the unarmed combat trainer for recruits before Karatre Kid came along. Amazingly adaptable to dealing with sentients of all types of personalities, Triad is ideal for missions of infiltration and espionaige.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:

I'm just kinda doing the LASHboot versions... [Wink] which borrows something from all of them I guess...

EDIT: Now I've read PG's post below, I think my posts aren't quite what you were asking for, I misunderstood.

[ August 01, 2008, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:

There were threads that were dedicated to dissecting characteristics of individual Legionnaires, which might be helpful. I think there were at least three maybe? I don't remember what they were called though... maybe someone else who remembers can dig it up.

I was hoping to cover all of the various versions with a strong emphasis on the original characters. Feel free to do your favorites of any boot though. One favor....let us know which characters/version you are discusssing. This will keep it organized for me so when I detail the personalities of the characters I can include differences from the various versisons.

Thanks Much.

--------------------

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I like Lash's take on the characters. He seems to have distilled what is most common and most important in every incarnation. Quis also adds another dimension to Imra.

I can't wait to read more.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Thanks Quis, HWW...

PHANTOM GIRL

Sugar and spice, and maybe a bit spoiled as well, Phantom Girl is not above batting her eyelashes to get her way. She's also not above dishing out a punch in the face to get her way either. A rebellious toughness softened with charming sweetness ensures that Phantom Girl has many admirers, sometimes including even the adversaries she and the Legion faces. Phantom Girl has become adept at fighting partially in and partially out of phase, making her very difficult to beat.

--------------------

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

MLLASH, I'm agreeing quite well with your overall assements. Please post more! I'm looking to keep as true as possible to the character and at the same time do this part of the game the right way. The indication of original/classic, or a reboot version being stated is so that players can make role playing adjustments depending upon which version of the Legion they are playing. Since I'm not real familiar with the reboots (other than the current one) I just don't have the knowledge to fill in the gaps. I have plenty of comics to read but that process is a bit to slow for game development. I been extremely pleased with your assessments, they are very close to mine but yours are better thought out.

[ August 01, 2008, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Phantom Girl ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree, Lash's writeups are amazing. Lash and Quis on Imra is great.

I'm almost afraid to post, but I'll give KINETIX a shot. (I'm mostly basing this on her origin in LSH Annual 6)

Zoe's love for power for "pure" reasons has always been a defining aspect, but why does she love it so much? She always said she a) wanted it to feel "perfected", and b) to help people.

Add to this her obsession with her wardrobe, and the way she took Violet and other people (XS, Lori, Triad) under her wing at times; she also mentioned that she tried to be the good little girl (unlike her resentful brother) when her mom was towing them around to archeological expeditions, especially because she felt useless because she couldn't help out.

Zoe needed attention. She felt that attention meant she was worthy somehow (of people's love and affection maybe? or maybe just their respect and time); but to get attention, she had to be good and do good stuff and make herself useful; without doing that, she wouldn't be worthy. So she had to become as perfect and good as she could be to get attention from others. The wardrobe to get attention; helping Violet, because it was a good thing to do; the power, to give her more potential to become even better.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Loving MLLASH's profiles.

My random quatloo;

Lightning Lad - from a world where everyone has a twin and the family and social structures reflect that. He is sometimes seen to completely fall apart when forced to deal with something alone, because that's completely unnatural to him. And then he shines when someone has his back, making him the ultimate team player. His confidence doesn't just double when someone has his back, it goes up exponentially. In a group, he's fearless, perhaps even *reckless* and brash. Alone, he can become self-paralyzed with doubts and insecurities, something that his jerk of a brother has learned to exploit all-too-well... All burdens are meant to be shared, with a sibling, and, eventually, a spouse. Keeping secrets, underhanded schemes, grudges that last more than 30 minutes, all are alien to him. He (and Trip) are perhaps the Legionnaires best suited to end up dating a telepath, as sharing their lives and powerful emotional connections are a huge part of their world-views.

Cosmic Boy - Garth's opposite, in that he's sublimating years of intensely competitive nature. He's not into sharing, and he doesn't seek out companionship (Night Girl goes to the crazy lengths of experimenting on herself to gain super-powers and trying to join the Legion just to catch his eye. And without suitors willing to go to those sorts of extremes to get his attention, he may well still be alone!). He's the one who has to think of everything, and plan everything, and the only person he 100% completely trusts in any situation is himself. He's learned to be a team player, but it's been a hard slog for him, because he's had to unlearn the driven competitive nature that being a solo-sports-superstar built into him. Even with the massive adjustment he's made, he's still more comfortable at the head of the pack and with plans that originated within his own head...

Saturn Girl - from a world where everyone can sense everyone else at all times, and she was at the top of the heap with the most sensitive awareness, there are times Imra wants to drop the iron-control ice-queen facade, scream at everyone to shut up with their too-loud thoughts and so-predictable emotional reactions, slam the door and be alone. She can come across as curt with people, because, even if she wasn't able to read minds, she's still smart enough, and experienced enough to be able to finish many of her team-mates sentences for them. Sometimes she's secretely thrilled when one of her friends surprises her by saying or doing something she didn't see coming a mile away. Other times she envies Dream Girl for retaining such poise and not going completely mad, waiting for everyone else to 'catch up,' and knowing that they never will. Garth isn't a boyfriend, a husband or a lover, although he is also those things. He's home. The quiet place where she can go to relax, the warm, safe sheltering haven where she can say what she thinks, express her doubts, demand a hug for no reason at all or just 'veg out' without having to be 'on' all of the time.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Thank you Phantom Girl and I-B.

CHAMELEON BOY

Equal parts trickster and detective, Cham is not one to let questions go unanswered. He feels a kinship of sorts with Saturn Girl because he also feels like he must be a role model and represent his homeworld of Durla, whose native shapeshifters have suffered prejudice in the past not unlike the telepathic natives of Titan. However, Cham isn't very close to Imra because he considers her a bit standoffish. Cham tends to pal around more with whom he considers the fun-loving Legionnaires like Triad, Phantom Girl, Bouncing Boy and Matter-Eater Lad but he can also be frequently found in the company of Brainiac 5 and Invisible Kid, especially if there is a mystery or problem going on.

COLOSSAL BOY

Colossal Boy was the literal "Big man on campus" in the LSH until more powerful members began to fill out the ranks. As this happened, Gim's self-doubts threatened to overcome him. Keeping his doubts about himself at bay is an everyday task and Colossal Boy tends to compensate with a brash, "GO TEAM!" attitude that he knows will especially please founder Cosmic Boy. Despite being able to grow to giant proportions, Gim tends to fade into the background because of his self-doubts and he struggles at making connections with his fellow Legionnaires. He doesn't realize that between his looks and general "tries-to-please" attitude, he would have no problem getting dates.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
My take on Brainiac 5:

Pre-boot: This is the boy who wants to be the hero. His main motivation is to redeem the family name. He's smart. Smarter than everyone else, but he also wants to fit in. So, he has learned to accept everybody as he finds them. He is able to see the value of each person, not just their intelligence. He is friendly and someone you can trust. As willing to take part in the action as to be in his lab.

Reboot: This Brainy is a bit more stand-offish. He values knowledge above all else. Heroics takes away from this quest for knowledge, but he recognizes the value of what the Legion does. As long as people accept him as he is, he initially tolerates their friendship and eventually recognizes his need for friendship.

Threeboot: Much more Machiavellian and arrogant. His motivations are his and his alone. Even the reader is not sure why Brainiac 5 is part of the Legion. He is willing to use and manipulate people to achieve his ends. He is dismissive of others. How much of this is his Coluan heritage and how much is a defense mechanism is unsure.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.