Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Annotated "Legion of 3 Worlds" (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Annotated "Legion of 3 Worlds"
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Language Arts Lad:
Except that there seems to be a lot that actually happened IN the book that the current writer isn't considering as canon.

As I said on my comments to L3W#2, Geoff is doing whatever he feels like doing. Chronology be damned. If that makes for a good story (to him), he doesn't seem to care at all. He's got Infinite Crisis to say whatever he wants to blame.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The 5YG Legion and therefore the Sourcebook for it are no longer canon. Thhat much is clear.

The original Legion ceased with Crisis on Infinite Earths and anything from there to Zero Hour has to be regarded as non canon in the Johnsverse. Johns said as much in at least one interview.

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
The 5YG Legion and therefore the Sourcebook for it are no longer canon. Thhat much is clear.

The original Legion ceased with Crisis on Infinite Earths and anything from there to Zero Hour has to be regarded as non canon in the Johnsverse. Johns said as much in at least one interview.

Actually, nothing is canon at all. Again, I invite you to read L3W #2 to see lots of unexplained things.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
The way I interpret it, all of LSH history between (approximately) Crisis on Infinite Earths and Zero Hour, which includes the pocket universe stuff, the Magic Wars, the Five Year Gap, the Five Years Later era and the End of an Era storyline, as well as everything in that sourcebook, is canon, but it's canon for a branch of history that's no longer active. The Time Trapper remembers it. So - and I invite you to pay attention to the grammar I'm inventing here - all that history hasn't happened, but it has has happened.

Which is not to say that FC:L3W #2 didn't raise any continuity questions for me. It did. Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over, but:
- I'd like to hear the backstory on Mordru killing Dragonmage
- I'd like some more detail on just why Andromeda is with the reboot Legion. I am told that she was in the Titans/Legion Special, so that's fine, but why and how was she there?
- How, why, and since when is Tharok alive?
- Where did threeboot Karate Kid and Triplicate Girl spring from?

I don't classify any of these as mistakes. But there are some dots that have not been connected for us.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I think Matthew has it. Essentially there is Preboot V.1, which no longer is an active timeline and Preboot V.2, which is what we're seeing.

Therefore *both* are the original Legions, just different offshoots of it, splitting at the time of Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Johns Legion isn't so much a Fourthboot, but a Preboot v.2.

Some ideas on those continuity questions:

(1) The only Dragonmage we ever knew of in the preboot was the one that appeared in Legionnaires, so this means he would never grow up to be captured by Dominators, etc. The original preboot v.1 has him join the SW6 Legion, this one has him die before he ever appears on panel. I'd like to hear more backstory too.

(2) Totally agree on hearing more. I actually like the move too.

(3) One of the more annoying things for me. Question (since its been so long since I read it): when Tharok reappeared in Legionnaires, how did he come back to life?

(4) Freaking Countdown and its annoying deaths of KK and Trip. Obviously no one wants to count it as canon other than Didio.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Regarding the annotations for page 3:

"Panels 1-2: L1 Mordru and his mages have stolen her magics.
Panels 3-8: it's Blok, Wildfire, and Dawnstar to her rescue. Blok and White Witch had a relationship, as did Dawnstar and Wildfire. Due to their natures, Blok and Wildfire could not have physical relationships with their partners as other humans could."

Saying that White Witch and Blok had a "relationship" and calling them "partners" is a bit of a stretch imo. I'd say that Blok appeared to have a crush on her and she was touched by his attention would be closer to the truth.

Drake and Dawnstar had a bit more going on than that, but it still wasn't a full-fledged relationship, imo. More a case of his pursuing her and her being evasive.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
"Page 7
Panel 1: "I saw Legions dying, and I saw a new one rising." A prophecy of the future.
Panel 3: The White Witch first appeared as the old crone The Hag, an associate of Prince Evillo. In her next appearance, she was young and beautiful. It was never revealed how this change took place; Mordru says here that he transformed her as he taught her magic"

In her first appearance, White Witch says that Evillo transformed her into the Hag with "an evil essence". Dream Girl restored her to youth in the same story. Mordru's comments here make no sense. In a later story, Mordru is responsible for turning her into the Hag, but not for making her young again.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
(4) Freaking Countdown and its annoying deaths of KK and Trip. Obviously no one wants to count it as canon other than Didio.

No, it's *threeboot* Val and Luornu I'm wondering about, after they disappeared from Velmar an issue or two ago. Unless you figure that it was *them* in Countdown? If so, where are Johns-retroboot Val and Luornu?

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
No, I always figured it was Johns-retrboot Val and Lu in Countdown. I just completely forgot they had dissapeared from Velmar. I figure (at least hope) that Shooter will address that in the next few issues. Kind of weird that Luornu and Val dissapeared though of all people.

I like "Johns-retroboot" [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.