Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » My beef with Timber Wolf (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My beef with Timber Wolf
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
A big deal is made about the fact that Ultra Boy's vision powers are "greater" than Superboy's, but there's no explicit mention of the extra power being required to earn membership on the team.

There's lots of things that could be interpreted as implying a "no duplication" rule (I believe in Adv. #247, they mention that all Legionnaires have a power distinct from Superboy's), but it's never explicitly mentioned as requirement for membership in the Silver Age.

I remember being shocked when this was first pointed out to me, but apparently it's true.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibn al-Nezumi
Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ibn al-Nezumi   Author's Homepage   Email Ibn al-Nezumi         Edit/Delete Post     
All great thoughts, worldies. Especially Eryk's point on 'no explicit power' clause prior the Bronze Age and Wildfire. Failed the remember that.

But I would agree to disagree with Sketch in reference to the capabilities of KK and TW. The shtick with Val was not his expertise in all forms of martials arts in the 31st century, it was the power to perceive the weakness of any given target, something akin to Karnak of the Inhumans. So in terms of originality, KK wins over TW.

--------------------
How many times do I have to die?!?

From: Indojapan, Earth | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree, a lot of good points. In his origin, he was said to have grown up on Zoon, a jungle planet (this of course after he found out he was NOT an android). I would say he was in possession of some jungle survival or hunting skills, and the ray his father used enhanced them, as well as his normal 5 senses.

Although not the best reference point, one way the 3boot described him was "prodigious physicality." One dictionary defines prodigious as "extraordinary in size, amount, extent, degree, force, etc." "Physicality is defined as "Involving or characterized by vigorous bodily activity." Many of the Legionnaires-Superboy, Mon-el, Sun Boy, Shadow Lass, etc., had weaknesses which could all but disable them.
T-Wolf was beyond Olympic-level athlete, and his power could not be sapped by a rock, or other force.

I would say his greatest asset would be his raw power, and the ability to channel it into an "extraordinary amount of physical force."

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
When I read 'prodigious physicality' the first thing I though was that he was a prodigy, but instead of being a naturally gifted artist or musician or a mathematical prodigy, he was innately gifted at physical matters, a instinctual 'genius' at anything physical.

He'd be the polar opposite of Brainiac, a 'genius' whose gifts lie entirely in the physical realm.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Timber Wolf did not originally have heightened senses (or claws), nor did Karate Kid originally have the ability to sense weaknesses. These attributes were borrowed from Marvel characters and tacked onto Brin and Val much much later, long after their powers had already been defined in the silver age. There was also nothing animalistic about Brin in the silver age. He chose the name Lone Wolf because he was a loner, not because he had wolf-like abilities.

Although their powers are different by definition--super strength and acrobatic agility vs. mastery of all forms of hand to hand combat--they basically served the same purpose: jumping around all over the place and punching out the bad guys. They were also both portrayed as hot heads and mavericks who challenged authority and went their own way when they disagreed with the general consensus.

It's for these reasons that I always found them to be cut from the same cloth, even though their powers are not exactly the same.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally, I hate the idea that characters can't progress or be seen any differently than they were at the time of their creation.
Even I've progressed to be 'more' than I was 50 years ago.
They're not in amber, after all.

Brin might have taken the name Lone Wolf because he was a loner, but he kept the 'Wolf' part when he became Timber Wolf for a reason.
He (the writers) wanted to identify him as a character and define his powers with that name.

To say he has no real connection to wolves robs him of who he is and his possiblities as a hero.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I kind of liked the cartoon origin, where his father used animal DNA to turn his son into the 'ultimate predator.'

On the other hand, sometimes I think of Brin as being everything Wolverine could have been, considering that he was the template that Cockrum later used in his portrayal of the Canucklehead.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Ggrrrrrr...Don't Mess With The Wolf Or You'll Get Bit!

[Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I kind of liked the cartoon origin, where his father used animal DNA to turn his son into the 'ultimate predator.'

Yes, wolf DNA would make perfect sense.

If I were creating Brin today, I might go with some ancient, glacial tissue from a frozen Dire Wolf.
They were the ubber wolves ~ everything amped up to the max.

At one point, DC was setting the stage for Brin to be recreated as one of the New God creatures.
They have 'hounds' or something.
I'm rather glad they didn't finish that storyline. I guess.

But I DID like when they made KK Asian.
Similarly, I enjoyed Brins look advancing to a more animalistic phase.

I grew up in the Silver Age, but even then it was to 'white boy power' based for my comfort.
I'm an IDIC type.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Plastino
NOBODY MESSES WITH THE ERG-1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otto Plastino   Author's Homepage   Email Otto Plastino         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Ggrrrrrr...Don't Mess With The Wolf Or You'll Get Bit!

[Wink]

Agreed!
From: Naltor trying to find someone to give me lotto numbers | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I really like Brin's personality, too. He's changed a LOT.

At first he was kinda quiet and sad. He spent most of his time with Ayla. He had his lotus fruit addiction, which I know messed with his Zuunium treatments.

He got all feral somehow, but it seemed to wake him up. He was more active, more intense, more passionate.

He got rather serious again, and complained of pain and of wanting to be alone again.

Then he got his surgery to restore his human features. He was happy, enjoying his Legion buddies and splitting from Ayla.

He got a bit goofy then, hanging with Blok a lot, being a little like the clueless type.

He honored his friend Val's request on Lythl. Felt good about that. Started dating again.

Went into a good zone with the Legion.

Then we move into 5YL and he changed even more. At that point, he wasn't Brin anymore. Not really.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I find that Timber Wolf works best when - as in the Levitz era, or under DnA - he's a bit of a doofus.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually don't like the doofus portrayal of TW at all. I actually think he should be one of the smarter Legionnaires.

What defines the character for me is the conflict between loner/pack instincts. On the one hand, he embraces the Legion as his family; on the other hand there is a constant feeling of alienation, like he doesn't quite fit in.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
[Confused]

Somebody's been drinking too much coffee, it seems. [Smile]

Yeah, tell the board something it doesn't know, Sunny.

[tease]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
(snip)

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Of course, his power did become shape-shifting. But even with shape-shifting, I don't see Chameleon Boy being able to duplicate Timber Wolf's abilities aka acrobatic/agility power.

[nods]

quote:
Charles Emerson Winchester III:
I can play the notes, but I cannot make MUSIC !!

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.