Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » The Long Way Home (FanFic) Updated 10/29/05 (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: The Long Way Home (FanFic) Updated 10/29/05
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
Legion World

“Will you please listen to reason for once,” Brainiac 5 spoke slowly, “I can’t give her answers that I don’t have.”

The conversation occupied only one track of his mind, another track entered observations into his Omnicom as he slowly circled the “Crystalline Man” and a third…

“What are you my friend? You are alive; that much is obvious… but you are a form of life that the greatest minds on Colu would have said was impossible before today.” The words were not spoken, but projected into a hastily modified Sleepnet receiver.

Luornu Durgo (AKA Triad) hastily pulled herself together, literally. The three separate bodies merged into one being. “This is not the time for one of Purple’s tantrums” she muttered as she walked over to the main computer station of the lab and began to look over Brainiac 5’s notes.

“Have you figured out a way to communicate with him yet?”

“No, But…”

“You have. I was unable to respond earlier due to the proximity of the Council’s Fleet. They have moved far enough away now.”

Somewhere in Hyper-Space

“Grey, there is a security force approaching,”

Dawnstar’s words were soft and urgent.

Greybird turned away from the cable junction where he was using his Omnicom in an attempt to access whatever information he could find in their captor’s ship-wide computer system. The programming machine code it used was a form of binary, so his Omnicom would eventually decipher the upper level operating language, if it was given enough time. That didn’t appear to be likely.

“Let me…”

Lt. H’Bin’gr’s arm draped itself over his shoulder as she reached across him to make contact with his Omnicom. He felt a slight jolt as she AMPED the device. She smiled and gave him a wink as two lights flashed green, indicating the retrieval was complete.

Her eyes sparkled as she murmured “You just have to know how to stroke things.”

The girl’s ability to make an innuendo out of absolutely anything left him speechless. Despite the difficulties they had encountered in the past hour, she acted like they were on a class outing. He almost chuckled before Dawnstar’s glare brought him back to reality.

“Will you two please stop clowning?”

Ron-Karr slid into their hiding place in a cramped service tunnel under a hatch and rejoined them. His ability to become two dimensional had saved them all twice already as he found ways around the increasing numbers of security forces searching the ship for them. Even vacuum tight doors and hatches seemed to pose only a minimum difficulty for the young man.

“Six T’Jar, the crocodile/gorillas, checking each service hatch as they go through each area, we either have to move deeper into the service tunnels, or make a break for the lifeboats real soon.”

Dawnstar, utilizing her special forces training, had taken the lead from the moment they (mostly she) had freed themselves. Now she turned to look at Greybird.

“Mr. Ambassador, is there any chance we can reason with them?”

Greybird began rapidly scrolling through the newly acquired information in his Omnicom. A few seconds worth of reading gave him the answer.

“No, according to their basic philosophy, we are only worthwhile to keep alive for two purposes, the first being slave labor.”

“OK, that’s out of the question, what’s the other reason?” Lt. H’Bin’gr spoke before Dawnstar could.

“Fresh Food”

[ October 10, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Almost New Kid ]

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
............more?

when? soon? please!

totally enjoying this Chuck, another great installment!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank

Legion World

“You have. I was unable to respond earlier due to the proximity of the Council’s Fleet. They have moved far enough away now.”

The “crystalline man’s” response came just as Jazmin entered the room, flanking her were Ultra Boy and M’onel, all three walked directly to the dais on which he stood. Jazmin motioned for Brainiac 5 and Triad to join them as she coldly stared directly into the creature’s eyes.

“We just witnessed something very odd in the Medi-lab. It seems that Captain Frake was tortured extensively during her stay on a planet called Antillian. Most of one side of her face was destroyed. But the most interesting things we found were these.”

She held out three crystals.

“They were imbedded in her skull. They resonate on an almost untraceable frequency. The frequency causes her to enter an extreme state of manic depression when they are activated.”

She handed the crystals to Brainiac 5.

“Where did they come from?”

While it was obvious to Brainiac 5 that Jazmin’s question was directed to the ‘crystalline man”, he slipped the crystals into one of the analyzing trays of an Anthrospectrometer on the bench next to him, another tray in that same device held a small crystal flake that had chipped off the “crystalline man” during his transfer to the lab. He studied the reading on the machine for almost a full second before using his force field to make a minute adjustment on the circuitry in the base if the dais on which the “crystalline man” stood.

The yellowish glow in the “crystalline man’s” eyes brightened and expanded to cover its entire body. The outline of its shape within the glow softened and flowed eerily as the blocky and only roughly humanoid shape was quickly replaced by a sleeker more human appearance. The glow faded back to the eyes. The legionnaires watched the process in fascination, but only Jazmin seemed to notice that the form was still sexless.

“This galaxy is roughly 4 billion of your years old. My people were created in the cataclysmic explosion that gave birth to this galaxy. We were not born. We do not die. We are as we were at the beginning. We will endure as long as the galaxy itself endures. But we are not immutable. We grow and learn; our experiences change our perspective.”

Brainiac 5 gave a visible start at that statement. The idea of conversing with a being of such immense age instantly intrigued him.

“The Podarian race is the oldest and ablest in this galaxy. Millennia ago we chose to allow other races to develop individually, not to exert out influence on them. That choice was a mistake. Because we chose not to interfere, the Numedians were able to develop the telepathic abilities which allowed them to assimilate my people into their sphere of power.”

“Most of my siblings have been mentally coerced into allying themselves with the Council of Five Races. I am one of a very few who were able to resist the compulsion to join that alliance.”

“Now because we allowed the unfettered development of lesser races, my people have been duped and absorbed by those races. I will change that. I used Captain Frake and her crew to search the galaxy for a race of telepaths able to defeat the Numedians, the race which secretly controls the other Races in the Council. The inhabitants of the world you call Titan are that race.”

--------------------

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Aaaah now it makes sense.

[Big Grin] Not!

Are the Council of five races the Dark Circle?

It is great stuff Chuck, again you have shown some nice touches of the character's personality - Brainys shone this time- and as ever you have an easy style to read.

Now where's the rest of the story?

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank

Somewhere in Hyper-Space

“In Hyper-Space No one can hear you scream.” Lt. H’Bin’gr didn’t know why that phrase kept echoing through her thoughts but for the last few minutes it seemed to be the only thought she was capable of formulating.

She looked around the passageway in which they had just fought a bloody battle. The bodies, and body parts, of T’Jar warriors were strewn across the confined area. For some unknown reason the T’Jar who attacked them, as they abandoned the service tunnels in an attempt to reach the ship’s lifeboats and escape, were unarmed.

“If beings with 3 inch razor sharp claws on their hands and feet and spiky projections on the tips of their prehensile tails can be called unarmed,” she thought, as she used a strip torn from her uniform to bind a gash on Ron’s leg.

Next to her Dawnstar was binding Greybird’s wings. He had born the brunt of the first attack and his selfless action, allowed Dawnstar and Ron to decimate the attackers. The ferocity of Dawnstar’s actions hadn’t surprised H’Bin’gr, the Starhavenite special forces operative was a lethal infighter. But at least the bodies of the T’Jar she downed were intact, Ron…

Ron was just behind Greybird when they emerged from the cramped crawlway. Greybird was the first to be hit but he managed to extend his wings in an effort to block the attacking T’Jar from reaching his comrades. He was only partially successful. T’Jar claws raked his right wing and shredded a large section of it. He went down under the heavy body of the lead T’Jar warrior just as Ron emerged from the crawlway. Instantly Ron flattened his forearms and hands and waded into the attackers. The flattened portions of his arms sliced through anything they touched. Screams of pain and outrage erupted from the previously silent T’Jar. It quickly became a battle between their claws and Ron’s sword-like arms. He held them back long enough for the two women to clear the crawlway. They came out fighting.

Suddenly Dawnstar was among the T’Jar. There wasn’t enough room for her to fly but her hand to hand skills and speed far over matched her opponents. Twin blades flashed in her hands, and T’Jar went down in bleeding lumps. H’Bin’gr’ stood over the wounded Greybird and used her AMPED up sidearm to pick off any T’Jar that attempted to break free of the melee. Within seconds it was over.

Unfortunately, they hadn’t escaped without suffering some injuries themselves. Greybird wouldn’t fly again for months, if they managed to make good their escape. And Ron despite the bewildering speed with which he had constantly shifted various parts of his body from 3D to 2D and back had been almost hamstrung by a T’Jar claw.

“I didn’t know you could selectively flatten out parts of yourself like that Ron,” H’Bin’gr murmured as she tightened the bandage around his leg.

“I don’t use that trick, often,” He gritted, “When I flatten just a part of my body it has an odd effect, whichever part I flatten becomes razor-like. I can cut through almost anything.”

She nodded at Ron’s reply then looked over at Dawnstar. It was obvious that the two of them were going to have to move fast in order to get the injured men safely away.

--------------------

With a Power Ring...

Harbinger
Advisor

yup, it's getting more and more like reality, you're getting the women to sort things out when it's all gone Pete Tong! [Big Grin]

Love Ron's razorsharp thinness talent - good original use of his ability there Chuck! Greybirds gallant sacifice also sounds right and Dawny being a wee savage is great too as I always thought beneath her cold aloof exterior lurked something more interesting. Can't make my mind up on H'bing'r though so I reckon you should just kill her and put us out of our misery already! [Laugh Out Loud] [Laugh Out Loud] <try it buster!!>

Another great part of your story Chuck, and like the brilliant Ultimates from Marvel Comics it's almost worth the four month wait between each new appearance! [Big Grin] [Laugh Out Loud] [Laugh Out Loud]

And seriously you write very accessible, entertaining and clever peices that bring me back to this forum on a daily basis Chuck.

Jeez that was serious [Embarrassed] so all I can say to finish off is have a fish!

--------------------

Abin Quank

Thanks Binger, I think. [Confused]

What kind of fish? Hmmm...

Free KOKO and Jinx!

--------------------

With a Power Ring...

Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm really enjoying this ABNQNK....

What happens next? [Big Grin]

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read the whole thing in one go (I've been behind in my fanfic-reading, I'm afraid). Great job! It's fun to read a story where the Legion is there, but not necessarily in a starring role (yet?).
Now of course I'll have to wait like everybody else for the single "chapters" to be posted...

Juan

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnstar
Fly with me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawnstar   Email Dawnstar         Edit/Delete Post     
To the author of this story, whatever your name is around here ...

I like how you are depicting me, with some depth and range of character. And my dear brother. (Even though the "official" Legion records have him as my younger brother, he has always been protective of me in the way an older one would normally be.) We of Starhaven have unexpected strengths.

Though I have been lurking to get a feeling for what goes on here, I had to speak up to encourage more installments of your story. And more frequent ones!

From: Somewhere in the stellar night | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank

Thanks Guys,

Ummm... Dawny, I hate to break this to you, but while you've been in reboot limbo, your younger brother has continued to age, quite gracefully I might add, and has now achieved semi-senior-citizen status here on Legion World. Don't worry though, you and Lt. H'Binger are soon to have some butt kicking fun.

Free KOKO and Jinx!

[ October 26, 2003, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Abinquank? ]

--------------------

With a Power Ring...

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Semi-senior-citizen? At 44? I guess, among all these kids *sigh*

I'm still the biggest, baddest diplomatic wizard you ever saw, though!

Glad you're fixing my wings expeditiously, by the way!

(I may not have said so as yet, but "Dawnstar" is being used by a friend I invited here. She's staying anonymous for now.)

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
{Playing catch-up once again on all the Bits threads}

Great story, Chuck! A pleasant mix of known , modified and unknown characters - allows for lots of players but easy to follow. You've really made the characters distinctive yet true to their "Legion personalities" (including our Legion World friends!). Intriguing plot. You've certainly put a lot of work into it and it shows.

Foolish Coluans! They should have known crystalline life could exist. No doubt my favourite outcast will set them straight....

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank

Legion World

“That’s all very nice,” Jazmin’s voice was low and hard, “but it doesn’t explain why you needed to manipulate Captain Frake’s emotional state, or the fact that she and her crew appear to be doppelgangers of the original’s, who returned over fifty years ago.”

For the first time the ‘crystalline man’ appeared to focus his attention on her, his glowing eyes met hers and she fell silent. Something about him suddenly left her with a rapidly sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. She felt rather than saw Lar and Jo move to flank her and was instantly grateful for their support.

His new form seemed to be more mobile and expressive than his previous blocky shape. One hand reached out and seemed to caress the containment field surrounding the dais. A series of flashes traced its path as the hand contacted the field. His head slowly rotated 360 degrees, a movement that brought a new and very unpleasant sensation to her stomach. She received the distinct impression that he had just scanned and catalogued the entire satellite.

“When this galaxy was born, the explosion created a ripple effect, a vast shockwave that spread itself throughout the vast reaches of the entire cosmos. Some of my brethren believe that shockwave created a multitude of copies of this galaxy each laying stacked one on top of the other and separated only by thin layers of hyper-space. That shockwave also created an energy barrier surrounding the central core of the galaxy; a barrier that my people could not breach from the inside.”

His head returned to its original position, his eyes were once again focused on her.

“The original fleet led by Captain Frake punched a hole in that energy barrier. The separation between the galactic core and the spiral arms was broken. I sensed that as soon as it happened, but I was too weak from millennia of hiding and fighting the Numedian influence to take advantage of it. So I used what little energy I could spare from hiding myself to draw that fleet to Antillian, where I lay hidden in the planetary core. I expected one fleet to arrive but instead a dozen did.”

“My brethren are no longer capable of independent creative thought. They have been fully assimilated by the Numedian group mind. But the theories of some of our greatest thinkers had been proven in that moment. There was more than a single galaxy created, in that star-birthing! And the proof in the form of a dozen identical fleets lay before me.”

“Instantly a plan formed in my mind, a plan to free my brethren from Numedian control. But I had to act fast; the council’s fleet was already closing on Antillian. Several of my brethren had detected the breech in the barrier at the same time I did. They however, were under the control of the Numedians; only I was free to act.”

“Eleven of the fleets were sent back thru the breech. I spun off portions of myself and attached them to the eleven versions of Captain Frakes. They became my surrogates in the search for a race of telepaths powerful enough to counter the Numedians. I allowed the final fleet, the one that brought me here, to be captured by the council’s forces. I needed them close at hand for my eventual escape.”

Jazmin couldn’t believe what she was hearing. This being had allowed that fleet to be captured when it could have prevented it from happening? Over seven hundred people died on Antillian according to the fleet’s records, and those who survived were tortured and experimented on. If it had the power to prevent that atrocity from happening why hadn’t it? She struggled to ask that question but couldn’t form the words. For some unknown reason she couldn’t speak. Then Imra’s voice sounded quietly in her mind. “Please, Jaz, wait just a few more moments… let me probe while it talks…”

“The Numedian led Council of the Five Races is monstrously barbaric by your standards. For five thousand of your years they have subjugated the galactic core. They rule by terror and subjugation. Their only inflexible law is survival of the fittest. The Numedians view all races other than their own, as food animals and allow them to exist only to stock their larders. They seek to ensure their racial survival by either the subjugation or the total destruction of any race strong enough to challenge them.”

--------------------

With a Power Ring...

Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
These Numedians aren't the friendliest of folks are they?

And why do I get the feeling that your crystaline fellow isn't being totally honest either?

Hmmmm.......

more please..... [Big Grin]

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.