Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Sketches from Archive Edition #1 (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sketches from Archive Edition #1
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I've recently been pouring through my Legion Archive Editions, sketching out things that I find interesting. I'm particularly looking for cool robots and aliens and creatures. From the first Legion story, Adventure Comics #247, there were actually only a few examples of what I'm looking for.... they're in the drawing.

The Invisible Eagle of Neptune had a very small part in the story, but I still thought it was cool. Wouldn't it be scary to be out on the street when this thing flew over?

Saturn Girl commands a giant sea creature, a Denizen of the Deep, to bring a statue to the surface. I think it's great that there are giant sea creatures in the oceans of the 30th century!! Since Denizen of the Deep is the closest thing to a name given for this creature, I chose to call him/her Denzy!

Robots do the physical labor instead of humans. The robot shown in the issue was out cleaning litter off the streets! It actually looks like paper!! Heh!

Okay, so Saturn Girl isn't exactly a cool creature or robot. She is an alien, though a human one. Yeah, every now and then there will be sketches of people in this project. It's true that I like to draw pretty girls, but I suppose I really should have done a drawing of Cosmic Boy to fit into the sci-fi aspect of this project. He had the most far-out costume. Oh well!

Many more sketches from the Archive Editions coming soon!!!  -

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Here's a sketch from the second Legion story...

Superboy dug a cavern, back at home in Smallville, and evidently, it lead to a land beneath the surface of the Earth! So this creature came out exploring. The monsters they used to show in these comics were silly by today's standards, so this was my attempt at drawing a monster from the cavern that could scare a kid today. Maybe it'd even scare a grown-up?
 -

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

I have many, many more sketches to come. It's been really fun and interesting looking through those old stories, with an emphasis on finding the most ficticious parts. In upcoming sketches of robots in particular, I took artistic lisence in altering their body types just to make them look a bit more modern. Most of the time they looked like a bunch of tin cans wired together. I tried to take the basic design of the robot in question, and maintain the most distinguishing features, but streamline it a bit. At least once, my version turned out sillier looking than the original. I'll let you guys decide once they're posted....

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Dean, keep 'em coming! It's always a joy to see your art!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Thanks, Cobe-ster!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

draub
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for draub   Email draub         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, definately keep 'em coming. There's something about them that's fascinating...the old meets new mystique perhaps. The sketches are beautiful.
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I love Dean Lee. There, I said it.

lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Thanks draub and rhino! You spin me round like a record baby!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

crystal-cherry

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crystal-cherry   Author's Homepage   Email crystal-cherry         Edit/Delete Post     
These are great! Cant wait to see more ^_^

--------------------
Stay Frosty!

From: here | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

In Adv. 282, Zynthia was introduced as Star Boy's girlfriend. I guess Thom's really into blondes (Zynthia, then Nura, and later, his wife...forgot her name). The Parakat was an interesting creature from Xanthu's southern Jungle Mountains. The Parakat can mimic human speech!  -

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Action Comics #276, was the Supergirl story about her three supergirlfriends and the Legion. It's so weird that that mask fooled Kara. Didn't she see the big ol planet Saturn on Imra's shirt? Oh well, I can understand when you see someone out of context....

There were other cool things in that issue that I could have sketched out, primarily, the girlfriends themselves, but there was also the romantic spark between Kara and Querl, there was the original Brainiac and KOKO!!! There was Lori and Jerro, the mer-people, there was Krypto.... but what do I focus on? That weird horse/lizard robot the Legionnaires were riding in a parade!
Maybe I'll get this story out again and do more sketches....

-

[ October 14, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: deanlegion ]

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

There have actually been several Lightning Beasts of Korbal shown in Legion books, but I believe this is the first one. This was shown in the Curt Swan drawn story about the Legion of SuperVillains and the adult Legion of Superheroes, from Superman #147...
 -

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Here's Cyclops the Robot from ADV 290...
This is a case where I took extra artistic liscence and altered his bodytype. Cyclops was much taller than a human being, but I thought he should be rather slim, but muscular. I just like the wiring effect in his neck and joints...
 -

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
These are all incredible Dean! Looking forward to more as you post them!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by deanlegion:
Action Comics #276, was the Supergirl story about her three supergirlfriends and the Legion. It's so weird that that mask fooled Kara. Didn't she see the big ol planet Saturn on Imra's shirt?

*giggle*

lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.