Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Amber's Song (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Amber's Song
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Dak sits on an icy rock, virtually identical to the thousands upon thousands that suround him, in eqidistant rows towards the horizon on every side. He had bounded across several hundred, all indistinquishable from the last, before he realised he was lost. Retracing his route back in the direction he thought he had come from hadn't brought him back to his companions. The same ever present light shines it buttery warmth across his shoulders as he dangles his legs restlessly across the lip of the rock.

Dak finally admits it.

He's lost.

Dak is irrefutably lost.

He.

Is.

Totally.

Utterly.

Fucking.

Definitely.

Lost!

His adrenaline spike had finally lowered to it's normal level from their brief adventure on Olympus. His mind is free from the beserker waltz of passion.

Dak faces upwards, his eyes closed and shakes his great mane of hair, focussing his mind on the sensation of it rubbing across his broad back, over his mighty shoulders and down onto his chest. Taking deep breaths and slowly rolling his shoulders he pushes with his four hands and allows himself to drop, falling willingly into the sense defying chaos dance of non colour beneath the rock.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
C'mon Harbi, you promised us lots of thud and blunder buttkicking and all you've written are these calm insightful scenes!

Get with it Girl! [ROTFLMAO]

<we need a More, More, More! Graemlin!>

[ September 21, 2005, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Abin Quank ]

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, Mr Tabir, here's a teaser for you - how many cliffhangers (in Daks case almost literally! [Smile] ) do I normally put into the mix before I throw a curveball?

Keep reading Chuckles, there'll be plenty of tears before bedtime before I'm finished. And a fair bit of buttkicking too (and decapitation, implailment, slaps and, yes, probably even more buttkicking)

And here's another tease for you - which of the group do you think I'll kill first in a truly hideous manner? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everyday Girl
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Everyday Girl   Email Everyday Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Ohmygod, Mrs. Harbinger, could you read me this story again?

Just a little slower this time, Please and Thank You?

--------------------
Hi! How are you?
<click-click> BLAM!! BLAM!! BLAM!! BLAM!! BLAM!!

From: Here? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Ask your Gramps EG, if he's as slow at reading as he is at writing you'll have more than enough time to catch up.

(But don't worry if he's too busy m'dear, just let him know there are two more 'slow' posts then merry hell will erupt.)

Bxx

--------------------

Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
...Mr Tabir, ...

Ummm... Binger, who is ths Tabir guy and why are you talking to him like he was me?

quote:
Ask your Gramps EG, if he's as slow at reading as he is at writing you'll have more than enough time to catch up.

(But don't worry if he's too busy m'dear, just let him know there are two more 'slow' posts then merry hell will erupt.)

Bxx

Now just who do you think her Gramps is?

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
It could be.... [Gasp]
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
...one of us???? [AHHHH!!!!]
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Abin Quank:
quote:
...Mr Tabir, ...

Ummm... Binger, who is ths Tabir guy and why are you talking to him like he was me?

quote:

Bxx

Now just who do you think her Gramps is?

Sorry Chuck, I have a colleague who's surname is Tabir, and I mispelt your surname (Tabor? That's right ain't it?) because of that - and half a bottle of Chablis [Smile] sorry again [Embarrassed]

I'm sure EG's Gramps is a fine upstanding member of the community, but as all young girls knows, Gramps are great only a bit, like slow and addled and not really with it y'know, [LOL] so I'm making assumptions about the speed of his reading and writing skills.

LAM, I hope you're not insinuating that EG is just an Alt ID of one of our fine community! Why, who would consider such a thing? Shocking!!

Will post more of Ambers Song over the weekend as I get the group finally together. Hopefully. If they all survive that is [Big Grin]

Bxx

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Jacqui sang. This time her voice sounded strained.

The sand that had been tickling Amalla fell from her legs and lay still, once more inert.

Amalla continued to cradle herself within her long arms, sobbing with spent laughter. Her sobs turn to barking coughs for air, before she finally tries to stand. Still, she had heard the strain in Jacquis voice, a sudden weakness, a rawness of tone that Amalla had never heard before.

"Jacqui, are you.. like, y'know okay?" The young gorillas uncertainty shows as she fidgits before the exhausted Firstfooter.

"Amalla, it is.. strange to have my senses returned, without my mask to block out the ephemera of each Reality I don't know how much of the Amber Mans power I can call upon. I'll just have to try my best, eh?"

"Absolutely no idea what you are banging on about Jac, but.."

"Amalla, I am the conduit of the Eternal..."

Amalla had turned away from Jacqui and begun furtively looking around the small rock.

"Yeah, but like what are we gonna do, where's that freak Dak and like, what's with the flippin' sand?" Jacqui can hear the edge of hysteria in Amalla's questions. She closes her flint green eyes and takes two deep breaths before continuing.

"Hestalyt will find us soon, with her Freetrader senses we should get back to your home Reality without too many hitches. Dak will come back as soon as he realises he never actually left and you attracted the sand with your telepathy. This Reality is very sensitive to psionics, I only hope we haven't upset the Chaos Balance too greatly..."

"Still no idea what you're chaffin' about sister. And, like, why are we here again?"

For several minutes the two companions are silent as they each contemplate their own questions. Jacqui stands up and walks to the edge of the floating rock, apparently casting her gaze upon the row after row of seeminly identical rocks floating before her.

"The Huntress will be here soon, be careful Amalla, she is.. damaged.. but vital for our cause. Please be careful."

She is impressed that Amalla doesn't reply.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Dak appeared before the two.

It was almost as if he came into view without ever having been out of it. He was now simply .. here.

Jacqui smiled a big toothy grin, her eyes still tearful. Amala flinched and slowly walked up to the four armed Vegan prince. Dak X'halkin stood before them, broad chest, four spiked arms stretched out, face up turned and grinning like a man finally relaxed after months of stress, closed eyes surrounded by softened radial laughter line.

A neophile experiencing epiphany and basking in the knowledge of mystery unravelled.

Amalla didn't trust it at all.

This was Dak blatchin' X'halkin. He's a caritchin' Vegan Wandering-Stars Prince. He was decended from two frajjin' gods. Two Gods! She'd seen him execute frikkin' Herakles! She could feet his joy, this moment of pure release, echo accross the edges of her empathy and had to aknowledge to herself, it scared the hot piss right out of her tight bladder!

"Dak?" Amalla's voice sounded small.

No reaction. He stood stock still before them, like a parody of secular sacrifice.

"Dak, you're a four armed, boring, selfserving, pompous, over opinioned, bipolar brain dead, freaky bastard! You smell like my Grannies arse, and she's been dead for ten years! Put your smelly potato patches that you call your armpits away, some of us are partial to oxygen you know!"

Amalla stands before Dak, her mouth open in awe as she turns to face Jacqui.

"He's so going to owe your skinny arse now Jacqui!" Something very similar to true respect shines in Amalla's eyes at the Firstfooter who had just said to Dak X'halkin exactly.. exactly what she had wanted to say.

As she looks at Jacqui looking back to her in shock the thought strikes her with the force of a brick in a sock that, actually, Jacqui hadn't just said it!

Again Amalla's voice is small. "I just said that out loud didn't I?"

"You sure did." Dak's voice is scarily neutral, no inflection to give Amalla a clue whether to laugh or run.

[ September 30, 2005, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

"Dak.. ah Dak, now listen, before you hit me or spike me or stand on me or anything.. <Amalla breathes heavily> just listen, okay?"

The four armed Vegan prince slowly advances on the pink bikinied gorilla.

"Stop right there Dak, aren't you godlings supposed to, like I don't know.. respect and.. ummm forgiveness! That's it, you guys are supposed to forgive us mere mortals like because .. umm then you have a right to take the moral high ground all the time.. or something?"

Dak bends his head down until he is looking into the hysterical gorilla's eyes. "You are absolutely right, and I bow to your wisdom. Of course I forgive you, it would be the most noble, intelligent and evolved response. I only hope you too learn the true meaning of forgiveness."

His wide grin scares the question out of Amalla, in a very small voice. "Learn to forgive what?"

"Me!"

Amalla flinches, scrunching her eyes closed as the Vegan prince engulfs her in a big hug. His breath feels hot as he pushes his face dow towards her forehead. Dak X'halkin kisses her loudly. Cradling her with deliberate care in his four huge arms, he spins her around like a first time father with a new born. "DA-A-A-A-A-AK!" His laughter booms over her screams. Jacqui speaks quietly to herself using a simple trick that allows her companions hear her clearly above their own din. "Please, I need to listen for Hestalyt, she'll be here soon." Both Dak and Amalla ignore Jacqui as they continue to frolic.

"Put me down you freak!"

"Only if you say please you walking carpet"

"Put. Me. Down. You. Wanker!"

"Smelly belly."

"Smelly belly? You pathetic brain dead freak, put me do-o-own!"

Their childish namecalling turns to squealing as Dak begins to tickle Amalla with all twenty four of his fingers.

"Da-a-ak! Stop! I'm gonna pee myself if you don't! Stop ple-e-e-ease!"

The booming laughter and squeals continue until Amalla bursts into tears. "Look at me now you evil squajj face!" Dak is silent for nearly three seconds before both prince and gorilla collapse in fits of giggles, all the fiercer for trying to suppress them.

"Please!" Jacqui's tone is more serious this time "Please, I have to concentrate..."

"Oh put your mask back on will ya!" Amalla continues her baying laugh.

"Amalla, Hestalyt will be here soon, we have to be ready for her. It is difficult for me to hear the Holy Song since my mask was.. damaged. Please, for me Dak, be quiet." The couple grow quieter until Dak exclaims "Oh look out! You've dribbled on my good vest!" and he and Amalla are inconsolable to cheers of laughter again. After a few moments they calm down, Amalla pants heavily as she regains her breath. "I smell of piss now you freak," "I know, so do I." Silence for another two seconds before Amalla erupts "that'll learn ya!" Dak smiles broadly and turns away from his hysterical companion. He stretches out accross the small rock, taking up half of the top side. Amalla sits down on his chest, silently shaking with suppressed laughter.

"Jacqui," Dak's polyphonic voice is respectful in tone, "please forgive us, are you alright?"

The Firstfooter turns towards the prone Vegan prince, "I'm fine Dak mydarling, just tired.. this is not an easy Reality to emerge into."

"Where are we Jacqui? It's a most.. odd place you chose to bring us to."

"My folk say this Reality is Heaven Dak, this is our refuge."

"Your folk have very.. humble desires Jacqui, this is a desolate place."

"No Dak, my people have very complex desires, like all Beings have. Each rock represents another desire, this one has the purpose of releasing one of fears and allowing laughter back in. That is why you had to appear to leave, you needed to burn off the adrenaline to be in a place where you could remember how to be happy. Amalla was tickled by the sands to..."

"Hey, wait a minute, if this place gives you what you need to be happy how come I was stuck when I tried to wake you up, and your mask Jacqui, how come your mask broke so easy unless you needed to lose it, eh? Had you forgotten how to laugh behind it?"

"You experienced the Reality from my perspective Amalla, I'm sorry you were upset by that and as for breaking my mask.. there may be some truth in what you said Amalla, you are right. Maybe I needed to be returned to my mortal senses to really share the experience."

A voice from above startles the three companions. "I also have a question for you, Jacqui of the Firstfooters. You told me this was to be a fight to save our Reality yet so far all you have achieved is the destruction of my home. Why have you involved me in this insanity?"

"Ah, Hestalyt.." Jacqui's voice is bright with brittle happiness, "You are right also, perhaps it is time we began sorting out this mess."

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Was that the first ever post on Legion World were one 'hero' peed on another while a third gave a challenging idea of what a Juedo-Christian-Islamic heaven could really be like?

Do I win a prize for that [Big Grin] ?

Anyway, I've got a bit of time in the next week or two so expect a few more decapitations and such like, now who was it I was going to kill first again [LOL]

--------------------

Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
It's almost certainly the first golden shower post, let alone the rest of it.

As for a prize?

Nae chance!

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

They had left the still Reality of Eternal Contemplation only three hours before, arriving within this thin forest on the upper prairies of Old Earth. In the three hours since they had arrived Hestalyt had barely spoken and was now silently perched on a small tree gazing longingly towards the sky above. Dak and Amalla had forgetten about their moments of madness and laughter. They had found a small clear stream and begun to wash themselves all the while bickering between themselves, their tones sniping and spiteful. Jacqui knew she would have to work hard to keep the group together so had told the group she would explain why she had called them together.

"All species use some form of a language to share information. Whether it's the body language signals of the Hooloonats, scent marking as the wolves of ancient Earth used to mark boundaries, the use of ambient radiation in ever decreasing spirals that the Most Informed FalaMungos store their lives achievements within.."

"So what's this Song of like Life you hark on about? Hows it work Jacqui, you've used it to whip us through space and do all sorts of wacky things, like totally bonkers things y'know.." The young gorilla looked at her Firstfooter companion with eyes wide in anticipation.

"The Song of Life is a phrase my people have used for centuries to hold the collective mysteries, the Amber Man allows each of us to hear.."

"And the Amber Man, like how come no-ones ever heard of him? I mean if he's like as all powerful and y'know, Goddish and divine all mighty how come..."

"Child.. maybe it's best you listen before you ask such questions," Dak's tone is low but Amalla chooses not to understand the warning in it. The telepathic gorilla brought up within the restrictive regime of the One Mind of Titan turns to the four armed Vegan prince.

Jacqui interupts before her companions start to argue any further.

"In the beginning there was the Great Rupturing, and from that sprung the first molecule. This molecule held within it's tiny structure a Note, a vibration if you like, that held the possibility of a Reality. This Note declared it's intention to the Etarnal Space it now existed within, and the purpose was good. It's purpose was Growth, it's purpose was to create further Notes, and within these new notes were the seeds of further growth. My people believe that Life, in all it's strange and terrifying and beautiful forms is the most advanced form of this wonderous Note. All life has the potential to be as the First Note, to vibrate in resonance, to expand upon the multitude chorus of all things, to Grow. Now there are many, mant Realities, each buffered from the each other by Realms, and each hold within them the echoes of their own First Notes. The Amber Man is the Keeper of the first Note in a pure form."

Amalla looks confused. Dak looks confused. Jacqui smiles as if her joke is approaching it's punchline. Amalla hated that smile.

She continues with the small mocking smile, " The Amber Man is the personification of the truth of this Note. He, and He alone within each Reality holds the true echoes, untouchable by the further resonances that this Note has encouraged to be. This is the simple Truth that we follow"

"You are absolutely barking Jacqui! Gawd, but I though Titan was a drag.. I only joined you as you promised an adventure" Dak tries to 'shoosh' Amalla but she continues her rant, "So some molecule sang to itself, like so long ago it's like not even real, and we're all supposed to go like wow? What a load of shite! I want to go home Jacqui, I want to sleep in my own bed and wake tomorrow thinking this was a physcho-ecto-shroom induced dream. You give me a bad headache!"

Jacqui bows her head in ackowledgement of her companions wishes. "Maybe I haven't explained myself properly Amalla, let me see if I can help you understand. You like music don't you?" The young gorilla gives a sulky nod before glancing away and crossing her arms.

"All music is constructed by rhythm, timing, volume, and structure. All music, from your own gentle humming to Daks booming Vegan Opera holds certain principals that allow it to be called music and not just a random noise. Do you understand me so far?"

The gorilla snorts loudly before answering, "Vegan Opera is crap, it's not real music." Dak X'halkin smiles, though his eyes never change expression as he looks at Amalla.

"Music is a way to chronicle information, or maybe share a feeling, or an explain an experience, or a thousand other different ranges of information from banal love-pop to the complex Bharru rhythms of the Starsailors musical navigation songs. They tell the listener a story."

Amalla shrugs, her pose the perfect picture of absolute indifference.

"The Song of Life is a way to express the complex chaos dance of all things, all thing Amalla, that grow, live, evolve and die. It is the expression of the story of these things. The Amber Man allows me to listen to these stories and join them, even alter them, by becoming part of their existence"

"Well, I guess, like now you say it like that I kinda sorta understand, but like how come no-ones ever said anything about it before? Like are the Firstfooters so super dooper that they're the only ones who hear this Song?"

Dak laughs to himself, turns and walks away towards where the Olympian called Hestalyt perches on the branches of the twisted tree.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.