Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Dain's Gallery of Legion fan art. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dain's Gallery of Legion fan art.
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm so glad you liked these and particularly Golden Nura, Sketchy. I only wish I had half your speed (and talent), since they take forever to sketch and paint. I guess it's a matter of practice (and talent) and not being the lazy bum that I usually am! Still, I enjoy thinking up new and weird costumes for the Legion or alternate character versions etc.
From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
Beautiful! And yes, the White Witch is a great character.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome stuff, Dain. Shady's my favorite so far, but I also really like your Grell White Witch design.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
That Cockrum/Grell version, I think you nailed it.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Whoa!
That Golden Nure as fabulous! Beautiful colors Dain. I love the texture on her outfit.

Those Mysa pics are VERY special. You're the only artist I can recall to give the White Witch that sort of artistic treatment. Stunning.

Yes, I think you captured Agnes Moorhead's eyes in that first one. Very very nice. Agnes is one of my favorite actresses ever. What a wonderful tribute, thanks for sharing that one.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

You're most welcome Yellow Kid. [Smile] I loved Agnes Moorhead and Elizabeth Montgomery too. I cried when Elizabeth died in 1996. I still watch Bewitched over and over again. Agnes Moorhead still has many fans and I remember reading, or is it just an urban legend, that some admirer keeps putting flowers on her grave every year but no one has seen him/her. Ever!

I don't think my artwork deserves so much praise but I'm really, really happy you enjoy it. I do feel like a part of this forum and sharing my passion for the Legion with all of you is also very special for me.
Here's another oldie, "Funky Nura", one of the first sketches painted in Photoshop. This is an "updated" version. I corrected a few details, added the 70s headpiece and ehm...made it a bit more "General Audience". [Wink]

-

I'll scan some black and white, pencil and ink sketches I had done for APA-LSH later, and there's another comical Legion piece, Groo the Wanderer-themed I'm working on. An then, on to Mysa the Yuki-onna and Buroku(Blok)! [Big Grin]

[ March 25, 2007, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, great stuff Dain! Love the Nura and Mysa images, and I really like the Saturn Girl pic on page one!

Can't wait to see more! Very cool designs that are sexy and fun.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insomniac Girl
Super-Space-Ditz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insomniac Girl   Email Insomniac Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Great work, Dain. I especially like Nura in that golden body suit and the shoes/boots on the first two Mysas. You should get a job as a footwear designer. [Smile]
Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Hey, thank you both. [Smile]
Insomniac Girl, you just hit on one of my little "fetishes". I love designing shoes, especially high heels, and the more futuristic the design, the better.
I've made hundreds of shoe sketches. If only I had made hundreds of hand sketches too...

Dain
Active

Little "Lululu" and "Hubby". Another tribute to Little Lulu and Tubby (my most favorite comic after the Legion).
This was a black-and-white sketch for APA-LSH back in 1994. I don't have the original anymore so I scanned the photocopied sketch from the APA-LSH mailing, corrected a few details and added some color in Photoshop. The result isn't very good - scanned photocopies aren't the best to work with - but I kinda like it. [Smile]

-

[ April 05, 2007, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Cute,cute,and cute (and it's kind of funny how your LuLu Bouncing Boy looks pretty much like regular Bouncing Boy).
Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]

This is kewl! Funny how it works so well together!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

quote:
it's kind of funny how your LuLu Bouncing Boy looks pretty much like regular Bouncing Boy).
[LOL] Thanks, guys! Chuck does look like Tubby, doesn't he? I guess it's because a "human living ball" can't be depicted realistically. Only as an exaggerated cartoon.

I'm very fond of Little Lulu. Marge, John Stanley and Irving Tripp were geniouses in - mostly humorous - comic book storytelling.
Little Lulu was one of the first American Comics to be translated in Greek in 1951 or 1952. My mother read Little Lulu and she saved her copies.
Then she read them to me in the early 60s and Lulu was my first introduction to comics, *because* of my mother, a fact I kept reminding her, after I started collecting comics and she went "The entire house is full of comics! This is not a room, it's a pigsty. I slave all day...bla..bla..bla". [Razz]

[ April 05, 2007, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

Dain
Active

This is my latest "what if".
What if Dori Aandraison (Rainbow Girl) had applied for membership in the Legion 10-12 years later, during the 2970s and was drawn Cockum/Grell-style. [Wink]

-

Dori may have been rejected by the Legion but it's quite possible she went on to become the most famous color/aura therapist of the 30th century. Well, I think she'd be happy with it! [Big Grin]

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Very nice and very Cockrum/Grell!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.