Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Onevision: The Horn of Undoing (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Onevision: The Horn of Undoing
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey! Welcome to “The Horn of Undoing”, my latest Onevision for your reading pleasure! This is a standalone tail and encompasses a wide range of LMBers. However, to see the earliest appearances of the villain alliance antagonizing the LMB in this thread, check out “The Psionic Spear”.

Enjoy,
- Cobie

[ April 05, 2007, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Oh, brave world, prepare and forlorn,
A great strife upon you, for which you will mourn,
Destroying with its might,
The grave spear of night,
It will be your undoing, this awful horn

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Chapter One: Terror in the United Planets!

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

Roll Call: Arachne, Dedman, Lightning Lad, Outdoor Miner, Spellbinder, Tamper Lad

Winath
Six weeks ago (United Planets time)…

“It’s the grain supply! They’re going after the grain supply!” yelled Lightning Lad, as he opened up the side door to the LMB cruiser and leapt out into the sky, feeling the turbulence hit him back in the face. He hadn’t been to his home planet in quite awhile, and now his first action upon feeling its warm air again would be to let loose a cascade of lightning down below, attempting to blast back the malcontents.

“Not today, Legionnaire,” replied Middlefinger, as she pointed her armor-covered hands up at him and replied in kind, sending a wave of hard-light energy at him, deep red in color and destructive in touch.

The Space Terrorists, as the United Planets called them, were midway through their seventh attack in half as many weeks, terrorizing the United Planets from location to location with no single pattern in mind. The aforementioned Middlefinger VIII’; Déjà Vu, master assassin; Salad-Tosser Lord, brilliant mad scientist; Pillum, warrior-born survivor of the war planet Ggrrgg and their leader, the Trumpeter, perhaps one of the most evil men in the history of the multiverse.

And now they were destroying the grain fields of Winath, setting them ablaze as hard-working Winathians scrambled for their lives.

“I’ve got you,” said Outdoor Miner, teleporting two young workers to safety before the blazing grass could reach them. “This is madness…” he said softly.

“Not madness Miner,” replied Tamper Lad, who was next to Outdoor Miner as he appeared, “but as calculating as all the other attacks. They’re attempting to destroy, or at least put a major dent in, the United Planet’s food supply. And though they won’t starve the UP population, it will certainly put an extreme hamper on the intergalactic economy…”

“Less talk, more action guys,” said Arachne, swinging into the fray, as she saw Déjà Vu up ahead. She immediately grew from her spider form into full human form once more, and releases her webs upon her enemy, she landed a swift punch into the female assassins jaw. “You’re hurting a lot of people,” said Arachne, “there better be some reasoning behind this—and I want to hear it when you’re in jail.”

“Unforunately, no,” said a voice, as Pillum, the Ggrrggian master spearman released a spear at Arachne, which pulled debris and fiery grass along with it as it created a suction as it moved. Evidently, the Trumpeter and Salad-Tosser Lord did not wait in arming their newest recruit.

“Look out Arachne!” said Dedman, leaping into the path and taking the spear through the chest. Living up to his old Cannon-Fodder Kid moniker, he felt the full brunt of the spear, which exploded in his chest, followed by a wave of debris and fire down upon him. He began to fade, knowing he’d reappear shortly, though the anger at seeing such an event did not.

“You’ll pay for that,” said Arachne, standing before Pillum, who reached for another high-tech spear around his back.

“Not today,” said yet another voice, as Salad-Tosser Lord suddenly appeared with Middlefinger and grabbed Pillum, pulling him back as Middlefinger flew them away. Arachne turned and she, Outdoor Miner and Tamper Lad saw why: the Trumpeter was here, and stood before them now with the Horn of Undoing, the awful Spear of Night created decades ago at the start of the Long Three Way War, which recently ended in a completely mutual assured destruction.

The Trumpeter had used the horn on Winath and began the immense destruction of its fields and crops—decades of work immediately leveled and burnt to the ground, the Horn’s sole purpose, to undo reaching its full potential. The Trumpeter was elated—feeling a warm sensation from the use of the weapon. He must not tarry longer…but the opportunity to destroy a cadre of Legionnaires was too great an opportunity to pass up. He prepared to blow the horn…

“NO!” yelled Spellbinder, the sixth and final member of this squad, as she used her telekinesis to erect a shield long enough for Outdoor Miner to grab the two LMBers and port out, regrouping with Lightning Lad and the Princess, who were not far off. The horn’s music ripped apart the telekinetic spear and the place where the LMBers had stood, and the chaos caused blurriness so that the two opposing forces lost sight of one another. When the blurriness faded, the villains were gone.

“Dammit!” said Lightning Lad. “Gone. Again. Its that damn horn…”

“Now what?” said Outdoor Miner, wiping the dirt from his face.

“We wait for Deddy, I surmise,” replied Tamper Lad, “and try to find a pattern to their attacks, and begin again…”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

Roll Call: Caliente, Eryk Davis Ester, Lash Lad, Rockhopper Lad (Deputy Leader)

Braal
Three weeks ago (United Planets time)…

“Welcome to the Super-Terrorists Madrox!” said Déjà Vu sarcastically, as she blasted a Braalian Union leader through the back. “Hope you survive the experience!”

“With a name like that,” replied the Multiple Durlan, “I may wish I don’t. Super-Terrorists? Space Terrorists? The media has no imagination anymore…” he said with a grin, as he used his Durlan arms to turn into giant blades, and slashed apart the large metallic buildings before him. He cloned himself quickly into eight more additional Durlans, and they walked forward, leaving a path of destruction in their wake.

“Excellent,” said Middlefinger, moving forward. “Another easily missed secret of the United Planets laid before us,” she said, undoubtedly grinning underneath her metallic armor, which covered her body completely and left her identity a secret, even to other members of her terrorist unit, save its leadership. “The fleets of the UP military need metallic furnishing to work properly. I can hardly see how they would function without them.”

“Especially with a war going on,” said Pillum grimly, as he unleashed his electro-magnetic pulse spear into a factory, causing it to implode. His cold anger was apparent for all to see—he still blamed the United Planets and the LMB for the mass slaughter of his people, though in truth it was the Khanate of Sol Invictus.

“Super-villains are so cute when their uppity,” laughed Lash Lad, suddenly swinging into battle with his whip, and leaping onto Pillum. “Shotgun on the guy with the cute butt!” he laughed.

“Gee, thanks Lash,” said Caliente, unleashing fire at the Madrox clones that turned to face her. “I’ll take the mean looking Durlan that will probably turn into something gross.”

“That leaves you for me, Middlefinger,” said Rockhopper Lad, the deputy leader of the LMB, who led them into battle, “and maybe we can get a look under that mask this time!” As he leapt at her to land a kick into her armor, he used his newly realized super-breath to cool down the hot burning metal that was in danger of starting a very serious chemical fire.

Déjà Vu scrambled closer to her allies, and pulled out her blaster. “You’re getting sloppy LMB, sending so few against us. Or is it we’re simply spreading you too thin? I think I like that notion better…” she smiled.

“Jeepers!” said Eryk Davis Ester, the last member of the small squad. “Don’t you know we only have squads in even numbers? There’s more drama and tension in between battles that way!” Eryk’s luck lord suddenly appeared, and flew around the blazing factories, beginning to put them out.

“All the same, Legionnaires,” replied Middlefinger, blasting at a factory where workers were still scrambling, putting them in direct danger. “I’d rather we continue this discussion another day.” Quickly, as Rockhopper Lad and Lash Lad turned to help the bystanders, Middlefinger regrouped with Pillum, Déjà Vu and Madrox, who turned into a space-Condor and they made their exit.

As the Luck Lord turned to put out more fires, Eryk turned to Caliente. “She was right. We’re spread too thin suddenly, by not knowing where they’ll turn up next. This needs to end. Soon.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Click for fullsize image

Deep Space – Aboard an LMB Cruiser

“I should be out there with you,” said Kid Marvel over the Omnicom, who was still stationed at Legion World. Kid Marvel was the current leader of the LMB, and he was speaking directly with Rockhopper Lad, his deputy leader, though other LMBers were on the line.

“I wish you could be, Joey,” replied Rockhopper Lad. “But you know you’re needed at Legion World. With various members of the LMB spread throughout space, we need at least a few on Legion World, and since you’re leader, you’re doing the most good there.” Beside Rockhopper Lad was his small squadron of Lash Lad, Eryk Davis Ester and Caliente.

“Besides, your powers are great enough to add the extra protection there we need,” said Eryk now. “Just in case. The number of Legionnaires currently on Legion World is dangerously small.”

“But absolutely necessary,” said a voice over the omnimcom, which was Lightning Lad. Knowing full well that a Legion World Founder would ease the small amount of guilt that the LMBers felt for leaving Legion World under defended, he wanted to nip that in the bud immediately. He was with the same group he had been with for six weeks now: Spellbinder, Tamper Lad, Arachne, Outdoor Miner and Dedman. “Originally we hoped the six of us had a chance of catching the Trumpeter’s little crew, but we’ve had no luck. Its annoying me. Their plan is obvious: disrupt the functions of the UP, interrupt its supply of goods and materials…we get all that. But there is no real pattern there. Just complete terrorism with places picked in random. I’m glad you formed that task force Rocky.”

“Thanks,” said Rockhopper Lad.

Four weeks earlier it became apparent that the Trumpeter and his band of terrorists were posing a far bigger threat than the LMB first realized. Following the events of the ‘Psionic Spear’, the Trumpeter had launched a series of terrorist attacks throughout the United Planets at random, each one crippling some part of the economy and normal functions of the UP. To make matters extremely worse, the United Planets was now in the midst of a full scale war with the Khanate of Sol Invictus, following the massive destruction of the people of Ggrrgg, Kerissia and the Mind-Flayer world. This was severly hurting their war effort.

The LMB was spread extremely thin, and the six LMBers dedicated specifically to catching the Trumpeter would need help. So Kid Marvel and Rockhopper Lad agreed that Rocky would have a small task force for additional support—unfortunately, despite the LMB’s extremely large numbers, a taskforce of four additional Legionnaires was all that could be mustered. Some LMBers were on various missions, some engaged in other activities, and of course, some were always needed on Legion World. Actor Lad and Kent Shakespeare were on a diplomatic mission to Weber’s World, while Cobalt Kid was taking personal time to visit the ruined remains of his home planet Ggrrgg. One couldn’t ask one of them to drop what they were doing to help. And there was always the LMBers at the now permanent station on the fringes of the UP/Khanate War, though this topic was highly debated among the LMB.

“It’s the horn,” said Spellbinder over the omnicom. “We need to take the horn from the Trumpeter, and we’ll be taking more than half his power base. We need to do it soon too, before he changes that ratio by adding more.”

“Agreed,” said Lash Lad. “Madrox the Multiple Durlan has reared his ugly head again. He’s always popping up unexpectedly, like a bad case of –“

“We also have reports,” said Rockhopper Lad smiling at Lash Lad as he cut him off before Lash said something more colorful, “that the Arch Duke of Time is currently in this century and has joined them as well. His time-ship was spotted in a satellite photo of the Trumpeter’s ship, Cacophony. That makes seven of them that we know about right now. We still don’t know why the Trumpeter is in our universe and we also do not know the identity of this new Middlefinger.”

“We do know she killed the last Middlefinger, however,” said Eryk, “keeping that odd tradition alive. One would think that would be a bad move, since if you become a Middlefinger, you’re essentially lining yourself up to be killed by the next one…” he trailed off, noticing the others looking at him with raised eyebrows. “Er, right. Go on.”

“All you can do is keep looking, and try to cut them off before their next target,” said Kid Marvel. “Tamper Lad will continue to find a pattern, while Mystery Lad does that here on Legion World full-time. I’ve alerted Abin and Vee in the Yyngig Sector of Space, which once housed the now lifeless planets of Ggrrgg, Kerissia and the Mind-Flayers. At this time, though, they can confirm there has been no further contact between the Trumpeter and the Khanate of Sol Invictus.”

“Well, then,” said Lightning Lad, “good luck everyone. Hopefully we’ll be able to find a way to draw this to a close…before the Trumpeter starts doing whatever it is he truly is here to do…”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Deep Space – Aboard The Cacophony (the Trumpeter’s Cruiser)

“So now you see, my friend, that what we have planned is so much more than meets the eye,” said Salad-Tosser Lord with a smile, taking great delight in his sense of cleverness.

“I do,” replied the Arch Duke of Time, “and you and the Trumpeter are very convincing. I will join you in this cause, since the UP and the LMB have been nothing but a hindrance to me my entire life. You can consider me a partner.” The Arch Duke of Time was a very calculating and smart enemy, and was much older than the rest. In truth, this was because he was a time-traveler who had lived most his life in other centuries. He was actually the rogue son of Cobalt Kid and Debauchery Damsel, taken by Dr. Albert Hoffman and the Time Mouse Trapper, who was raised to hate the LMB and Cobalt Kid especially, whom he considered responsible for the death of his mother (in truth, it was Dr. Albert Hoffman himself, who was now also dead). He was a powerful ally to have on one’s side.

“That is all well and good,” said Pillum, sat put his foot on a chair next to them and pulled off his quiver full of spears. “But when are we going to get to our real goals? We’ve been terrorizing the UP for weeks. I want to make them pay.”

“Yeah,” said Madrox the Multiple Durlan, “I’m not even sure I understand our goals. But I have a score to settle with the Legion myself, after what they recently put me through. I believed I was really going to die this time…”

“We’ll get to them soon enough,” said the Trumpeter entering the room with Déjà Vu, and all immediately were silent. There was a nervous feeling that suddenly went around, and many were ill at ease in the presence of the Trumpeter. “But as for now, we are proceeding precisely as planned. To rush things would be to foul it up, as you must have learned by now, Madrox,” he added, referring to Madrox’s very numerous losses to the LMB. “Isn’t that right my dear?” he smiled at Déjà Vu.

She nodded, her emotions cold, but Pillum could almost sense that she wasn’t at ease either in his presence. “The Trumpeter is right,” she said. “We must wait. Now isn’t the time…”

“An interesting power that one has,” whispered the Arch Duke of Time to Salad-Tosser Lord. “I have some experience with time. Is she reaching into the future to see when the time is right? Is that why we’re waiting?” he asked. Salad-Tosser Lord shrugged. Evidently that information was not given freely.

“We have one additional major stop before we begin our true goals,” said Middlefinger. There would be hours on end when she would not speak, so to hear her suddenly was also unnerving. She was still shrouded in mystery among the newcomers. “Then we can proceed. And they’ll never guess where we intend to make that stop,” she said coldly. Madrox prepared to laugh out loud expecting the others to, but none did. Middlefinger was all business, and he realized he’d do well to remember that. He wondered who she could be…?

“We’ll wait then,” said Pillum, who had begun the conversation. He was not the leader here, but he had many leadership qualities about him. Though still young, he was destined to be a master general and politician on Ggrrgg—before the planet was ravaged. “You’ve given me no reason to doubt you yet, Trumpeter. I only care about the terror we bring to the UP, and the eventual destruction of a small handful of Legionnaires who took away my glory.”

“A small handful?” said the Trumpeter. “No, Pillum. Much more than that. All of them.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Weber’s World
The Capital Planet of the United Planets, Weber’s World is an artificial planet designed to function as the diplomatic hub of all of the United Planet’s membership, as well as other sectors of space that have relationships or problems with the United Planets.

“Well, here we are,” said Actor Lad to Kent Shakespeare. “Back at Weber’s World, though this time under much easier circumstances.” The two walked down the hallways of Weber’s World toward the central hub, where most of the politicians and ambassadors were gathering for the daily dinner. Each night on Weber’s World was filled with political conversations, deals being made and alliances shifting. Such was the nature of the politics there. But for Actor Lad and Kent Shakespeare, this was nowhere near as stressful as the last time they visited Weber’s World at the same time—which was when the had recently been elected leader and deputy leader of the LMB. There term had since ended months ago, and though both had been back separately, this was the first time they had returned together.

“Indeed,” said Kent, “evidently we made a good impression on them. The UP is insisting that the LMB have some sort of voice, or presence at least, in regards to the war with the Khanate of Sol Invictus, and we are two of the more requesting Legionnaires to attend these things. Faraway Lad must have drank all their port last time,” he joked, knowing that it was very common for Faraway Lad to be at these types of events.

“I’m not sure we should be here,” said Actor Lad. “This doesn’t seem like an LMB problem. I don’t know if we should be so deeply involved in the Intergalactic politics and wars.”

This was the heart of the debate that raged within the LMB at the moment, though it had remained contained. Kent, on the other hand, disagreed with Actor on general principle, but had his own ideas of the level of involvement. The current leadership was more inclined to stay involved and help the UP in their efforts against the Khanate—though not as soldiers. The UP military was for that. But Kid Marvel and Rockhopper Lad had witnessed the atrocities of the Khanate of Sol Invictus first hand, which included the annihilation of Ggrrgg, Kerissia and the Mind-Flayer home planet, so there would be a beach head for an invasion into the UP someday in the future.

But Kent did not necessarily disagree with the leaders. He knew there were some—Cobalt Kid being the most outspoken and famous—who felt the LMB should be directly involved in these types of matters. Kent somewhat agreed. The LMB was chartered by the United Planets, not Legion World. They owed the entire United Planets protection and service, and many Legionnaires would do well to remember that.

Actor Lad leaned more towards staying out of politics and intergalactic wars and had his own ideas of where the LMB should be. He and Reboot valued the protection of Legion World and innocents, but could hardly see the justification of the UP’s own military force preparing an illegal entry into the Khanate with the LMB present. It wasn’t that they were against the war; they were against the Legion as soldiers.

In truth, both positions were right, and both had mutual concerns. Which is precisely why the LMB leadership, along with the LMB Founders, chose them to go to Weber’s World together.

“Legionnaires! A pleasure to see you,” said a voice, which they saw as Admiral Cornwallis, the head of the UP military. He had some familiarity with the LMB over the years and respected and liked them immensely. Opinion of him varied among the LMB, though he was generally an honest man who cared loved the United Planets greatly. Some of his views were more extreme, and Actor Lad didn’t necessarily care for him. Kent didn’t mind him, but considered him slightly arrogant. Both would have to put that aside for now.

“Admiral,” said Actor Lad, using his super-acting quickly, “the pleasure is ours. We’ve just arrived here tonight,” he added.

“Splendid,” replied the Admiral, shaking Actor Lad’s hand, then Kent’s. “Allow me to introduce you to our Prime Minister, Maya adi Lva, whom I do not believe either of you have met. She was elected Prime Minister of the UP around the same time you Legionnaires elected your own new leaders. I would say she’s had quite the eventful first few months.”

“Indeed,” she said with a nod, looking both exhausting, but inquisitive to the LMB. The LMB were always something UP politicians wanted to know more about. She was a light tan skinned female, one of the Terran off-shoots, and had black here with yellow slivers throughout it. She was older than the Legionnaires by a decade or two. “I’m always pleased to meet the acquaintance of a Legionnaire,” she said, “you’ve all been a tremendous help these last few years. Especially in times of trouble, which I hope we are not on the verge of now.”

“We hope not either, Madame Prime Minister,” said Kent, “though only time will tell at this point. How goes the Sol Invictian Front?”

“It goes steady for a time, but little skirmishes are constant. Unfortunately, there does not look like much hope for peace anytime soon. Still, we know we can count on you if we need to,” she added, turning as more people greeted her.

“Come here LMBers,” said a voice, as Ambassador Relnic was before them. “Lets get out of here before you’re outright asked to win this war for them,” he said with a grin, and led them outside to a balcony overlooking deep space. The breathed a sigh of relief and joined their old friend—longtime ally of the LMB—on the balcony. “How goes this mess with the Trumpeter?” he said now seriously.

“The same,” said Actor Lad. “We’re waiting as you are.”

“Not good,” replied Relnic. “We need all the resources we have right now. This war will be a serious matter. And after the Dark Oval War, its so soon…” His mention of that showed a mixed reaction: Kent understood it and was glad it did not last long, while Actor Lad was not convinced it wasn’t the work of Cobalt Kid (and Lard Lad), and felt a twinge of annoyance at the LMB’s involvement in the brief, but tragic war.

“Is that why there are so many people here now?” asked Kent. “I’ve never seen Weber’s World this full. We probably should have brought more LMBers.”

“I doubt you could spare them, since there is already a bunch out in the area of conflict, helping set up the UP encampment and providing encouragement. But to answer your question, yes. Over there, even, you see more arrive. There is Princess Cxstina of Agualeria, whom you may know. They hardly ever have an ambassador here, and now they send their Princess. That sort of thing has been happening a lot these last few weeks.”

Actor Lad looked at Kent and mouthed ‘Who?’ to him, as a very beautiful, blonde Princess entered the larger room with a small entourage around here. Kent shook his head ‘no’ as if to say ‘later’, which meant there was probably an embarrassing story behind it. There was: this was the young woman known as ‘Princess No-Protection’ among the older LMBers, one of Cobalt Kid’s first girlfriends introduced to him by Lash Lad, which helped encourage the young man to forego the use of prophylactics and thus later create many children who would grow up to menace the LMB. To say she was infamous in LMB lore was understating it.

Ambassador Relnic was oblivious to this exchange. “You see LMB, you’re going to have to do something about this Trumpeter situation quickly, less the UP forgets how useful you are here in the United Planets proper, and someone start pestering you about joining the warfront as soldiers.” He held up his hand to cut them off. “Unlikely, I know, but still…I’m sure you don’t want that kind of trouble.”

Click for fullsize image

Princess Cxstina (aka Princess No-Protection)

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Across the United Planets, various members of the LMB dealt with their missions or personal time in their own ways:

Yyngig Sector of Space – known as the ‘Triangle of Death’
Varalent, Abin Quank, Faraway Lad, Harbinger, Mattropolis and Stealth helped the United Planets military secure their encampments and armadas, as the next skirmish with the Khanate of Sol Invictus loomed ever closer. Faraway Lad worked hard as always, but felt the tinge of melancholy pulling at him, knowing that in this respect, diplomacy has failed. Stealth still felt the outrage over the events of a few weeks ago, while Mattropolis wondered if perhaps they really shouldn’t be there at all.

Ggrrgg
Cobalt Kid walked among the perpetual grave sight known once as the planet Ggrrgg. Almost all of the entire population of Ggrrgg wiped out in a few heartbeats, and he there to witness it. He had little love for the once great planet, but his feelings of guilt and responsibility to it remained conflicted. His usual trenchcoat was gone, replaced by a mundane grey cloak given to him by Elves many years ago. He finished digging a grave—that of his father—and patted the contaminated soil down on top of it. He would dig many more graves. He spoke nothing and carried on…unsure why he was there at all.

Deep Space
Lightning Lad and Dedman co-piloted the cruiser while the rest of their squadron of LMBers attempted to get some sleep. They were failing. They continued to try anyway.

“Did you get to see some of your friends and family on Winath, Scott?” asked Dedman to break the silence.

“No…we were there so quick. I haven’t been to Winath in quite awhile. I didn’t expect it to see it in flames though,” he added as an afterthought.

Silence ensued. “Let’s get this bastard,” said Dedman referring to the Trumpeter, then adding, “lets get all of them.”

Legion World
“So,” said Walk with Crowds, at Monitor Duty, “Matlock is investigating the missing falcon statue on Malta…”

“…crime stops for no one after all…” said another clone version of him.

“…Shark Lad is with Invisible Brainiac in the Legion World Jungles, apparently there’s been a death there…”

“…one of the gorilla tribes? I hope not, they’ve always been so helpful to us…” said the clone.

“…and Dr. One is on the Science Asteroid. Not a lot of us here tonight I see,” he added. “But all is quiet here right now.”

20 cosmic-meters from Legion World
“There? That’s our target?” said Madrox the Multiple Durlan to his allies. The Cacophony, the Trumpeter’s cruiser floated quietly in space. They were assembled: the Trumpeter, Salad-Tosser Lord, Déjà Vu, Middlefinger, Pillum, Madrox the Multiple Durlan, the Arch Duke of Time.

Middlefinger smiled. “Hardly,” she replied. “That’s our stop-off. Now get ready Madrox. There has to be at least some LMBers left on Legion World for us to enjoy…”

END CHAPTER ONE

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Chapter Two: Jailbreak!

Click for fullsize image

The ruined planet-side of the former planet Ggrrgg

Where once there was beautiful and lush country-side, now there was only smoldering ash. Where once there was culture and architecture, there was a only blackened void. The population now dead for some time, rotting into the ground, the buildings only debris and the last remnants of Ggrrgg were long lost to the universe. Ggrrgg had been annihilated, and there was nothing left here for anyone.

Save one.

The Legionnaire known as Cobalt Kid walked slowly through what was once the capital city of Ggrrgg, conscious in where he was going, but tentative in how he would get there. He was covered in a gray cloak, a gift to him many years earlier by Elves, and it made him seem mundane and plain, blending in with the blacks and grays that shadowed all that was left of Ggrrgg. He was fully bearded, which was odd for him, as he generally kept himself clean-shaven to reflect his own ideas of what encompassed a handsome young man. His face was dirty and there were heavy bags under his eyes. It was hard for anyone to do much sleeping on Ggrrgg now.

This was his home planet, though he and the populace had become enemies for the second half of his life. They banned him from returning and he abandoned them in kind, their beliefs being at such odds that this was the extremity of their spite towards one another. But in the end he was once more on the planet when it fell, and he witnessed his home planet be murdered and destroyed, his father dying in his arms. Now he was a grave digger, having buried his father properly, in the ritualistic ways of Ggrrgg, and he did so now in mass graves, using his magnetism to do so. It was dirty work—but necessary in his eyes. He would never have been at peace with Ggrrgg in life, so it would try it now, in Ggrrgg’s death.

Cobalt Kid was a complicated young man, who had seen his fair share of trauma in his long years as a Legionnaire. Tortured at a younger age, he had lost his ability to cry, to let his emotions come forth. But he tried to focus on other ways to express himself, and took to praying. He had magical healing abilities that put him in touch with his surroundings. A type of ‘spirtiual awareness’ that he did not fully understand. He felt the angry souls calling out on Ggrrgg, and he tried to comfort them and let them find their final moments. This planet had been razed, but he would heal it as best he could so it could rest peacefully.

Once more, he began to use his magnetism for digging, and collecting bodies. He hummed a short prayer for the fallen dead, taking in the scenery of dead children before him.

“I had thought your hatred of these people was as great as mine,” said a voice, startling him, causing him to jump back. “But I see that when such events occur…it becomes impossible to hold onto such hatred. Lest is consumes you forever.”

Cobalt turned and saw before him Princess Tarina, the former Princess and defender of Kerissia, Ggrrgg’s arch-enemy. And in true irony, Kerissia had also been laid to waste, its people shattered and the planet-side uninhabitable. These two both were survivors of great tragedies. They both were now without planets and people. She looked regal still, and strong, her sash and cape flowing, and her power of light flowing from her hands. But she too looked extremely tired, and somewhat beaten. She no longer believed she had anything to live for without a planet or people. She was magnificent and tragic all at once. Cobalt nodded slowly. “I knew you survived, though most the other were skeptical,” he said. “I have a sense for such things.”

“Its my punishment for my role in the long war, that I’m sure of,” she replied. “That while my people move on to a higher plane, I am left behind with nothing but sorrow. If I could kill myself—I would,” she added, and he saw truly now her pain. A soft tear drop fell down her face. These two had been enemies throughout their past relations with each other, but for the first time that bitter rivalry was gone.

“You have yourself,” said Cobalt, walking over to her, “and you have your duty to this universe. And that will always be enough for those such as us,” he added, putting his hand on her shoulder. For the first time, she did not flinch and prepare to respond with an attack. “Now is a time for mourning, Tarina,” he said, “but there will be another time after that. Come and sit with me for awhile. We don’t have to talk about the tragedies, but maybe each other’s company will provide us some comfort.”

And so Princess Tarina and Cobalt Kid, both orphans and homeless, sat together for a time and said little, reflecting on all that had happened.

Click for fullsize image

Princess Tarina

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Legion World Orbit
The Trumpeter spoke: “Today, my friends, we will show the LMB once more that they are not safe here on Legion World. It’s that vulnerability we will use to our advantage, after recent events here. They’ll be so consumed with protecting the population below, that they won’t know what hit them…”

Immediately after, the first vestiges of the plan went into effect:

The Arch Duke of Time, with his powerful time-ship that could travel through space/time with ease bypassed the first line of defense on Legion World, a powerful polymer shield that had been retrofitted after the Invasion, but could not withstand the super-science of the 89th Century, where the Arch Duke had spent a great deal of time.

Madrox the Multiple Durlan stretched himself farther than ever before: and in doing so cloned himself one hundred times over, creating an army of super Durlan clones to lead the invasion below into Legion World. Salad-Tosser Lord and the Trumpeter had not been idle in applying their intellect to his abilities.

Most chillingly, the Trumpeter held the Horn of Undoing high, the powerful artifact that he now had in his position. And seeing Grand Central Space Port, the first hub of civilization upon entering Legion World Orbit, he unleashed a might rhythm into the sacred spear, and the powers of destruction flowed forth. Once more, Grand Central Space Port was left in ruins.

Legion World, LMBP Headquarters, Monitor Duty
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image

Walk with Crowds, Saturn Girl, Jailbait Lass

Walk with Crowds immediately received word of what was happening. “Bloody Liberty!” he yelled out loud and his other selves turned to see. “We’re under attack! Quickly, all of you, get Kid Marvel on the line! Contact the Office of Security! Legion World is under attack!”

One of his cloned selves checked the monitor board and immediately understood how vulnerable they were. The LMB were spread very thin, and now there were very few that would be able to protect the planet-side. He looked down the list: “Okay, Fat Cramer…Quislet…who else…Saturn Girl!” There was always at least one Legion World Founder present on Legion World, and this must be Saturn Girl’s turn to hold down the fort.

«Saturn Girl» he thought telepathically, «please hear me. Please. We are under attack…»

No reply. He waited. Tried again. No reply. More waiting.

Finally: «I’m here, WWC. I’m glad you’ve contacted me. I’m contacting Kid Marvel and scanning what’s happening…»

Walk with Crowds waited, as his other selves checked the monitor screens. One was calling Quislet, while another was running out the door. “I’m hitting the streets!” he yelled. “We need to get the citizens off the streets!”

Another was on the line with the Office of Security. Jailbait Lass, the assistant to Cobalt Kid, was there with My Whee Fem, the general secretary. Jailbait Lass spoke up, “All the Chiefs are off-world, WWC,” she said, fully understanding the predicament. What Walk with Crowds did not know is that she faced such a predicament not long ago, and it was a very scary one. “As are the deputies. Only Invisible Brainiac is on planet, and he’s currently with Shark Lad on the other side of the planet in the Jungles. I’ve alerted him, but it would take him quite awhile to get back to the capital city. Polar Boy is the only ranking security officer here and I’ve alerted him…he’s taking to the streets and will be with you via Omnicom shortly…” My Whee Fem was by her side, but was shaking nervously. Jailbait Lass looked at her, and put her hand on the other girl’s shoulder. “Pull it together My. They’re going to need our technical support…”

Walk with Crowds cut off the line, slightly chilled by how serious even the support staff was getting. He felt Saturn Girl reenter his mind. «WWC, I’m back, and Kid Marvel is with us. I’ll let him take over»

«WWC, Saturn Girl will handle our communications hub telepathically. We need you out on the streets. Try to find out who are assailants are and keep them contained. I’ll be joining you shortly. Good luck, »he added, and signed off.

Legion World, The streets of the Capital City
Click for fullsize image

Kid Marvel (LMB Leader)

Dozens of Madrox the Multiple Durlans entered the atmosphere, and began to land in the streets of Legion World, as the armored female figure known as Middlefinger joined him, firing at various buildings. “You know what must be done!” she yelled, firing again into the crowd. “Create a panic, cause destruction! Let them know we’re here!” she screamed.

“Oh, we know,” said a voice, as Kid Marvel flew at super-speed towards her in the skies, and landed a double-punch to her side, knocking her backwards. “And you are very much not welcome here!” he added, as other cloned Durlans dog-piled on him in various shapes and forms.

Legion World Orbit – Takron-Galtos
The guardsman on Takron-Galtos quickly got word of what was happening below, and like months earlier, watched the monitors closely, hoping the population was safe and there wasn’t too much damage this time.

“Sir?” said one of the lower-ranking ones, checking on the various cells where prisoners were stored. “Sir? We’ve got an extreme pressure spike on the East Wing. Something is going on there. Something external on our defense shields…”

“What?” said the Captain suddenly in a panic, “everyone to your posts! This can only be one thing! Quickly!” he screamed, as they scrambled.

Across the large entities body, on the East Wing, that pressure was indeed real, as suddenly the walls burst forth, exploding inwards as guards and prisoners were killed in the blast together as the Spear of Night unleashed its fury. The figure of the Trumpeter stepped through, flanked by Déjà Vu and Pillum on either side of him, entering the halls of Takron-Galtos.

“Yes, this will do nicely,” said the Trumpeter.

Prisoners ran to the edge of their cells to see what was happening. ‘What is it?” and ‘Who is it?’ were screamed repeatedly.

Finally the Trumpeter blew his horn to silence them. He grinned. “Ladies and Gentleman,” he said slowly. “This is what we call a jailbreak.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Quislet, Esq., The Royal Inquisitor

“Quis,” said the Royal Inquisitor, still stuck in his cell on Takron-Galtos, “what is it? What’s happening?”

Quislet, Esq., famed member of the LMB did not respond right away, standing upright in the hallway, as guards ran forward. “This isn’t good Roy,” he responded. “I think it’s a jailbreak.” Quislet had been visiting with his fiancé, famed villain the Royal Inquisitor, who had tried to prove many times in the last two years that he was a villain no longer.

“Wha--?” replied the imposing figure. There was no doubt the Royal Inquisitor had a terrifying look about him. “But you’ll be in great danger then. Most of the prisoners in here would give anything to kill a Legionnaire.”

“You’re telling me…” said Quis, putting his back against the wall and looking for his Omnicom.

“Quis,” said the Royal Inquisitor, “I think you’re going to have to free me. This is going to get rough…”

The Blue Battler, Bat-Fem, Fat Cramer, Polar Boy, Helena Handbasket

Kid Marvel continued to battle in the skies, as Middlefinger regrouped and got behind him. The Madrox clones held on to the mighty leader of the LMB, as Middlefinger took aim, and fired, letting loose a blast of anti-energy that instantly killed the Madrox clones, and fried Kid Marvel. The mighty LMBer’s strength remained however, and though it was extremely painful, he lived, and now turned to face his enemy.

Below, Walk with Crowds ran through the streets with many of his clones, instantly seeing the cloned Madrox’s and running at them. Though just two individuals, they were essentially locked in a gang fight.

“An impressive power,” said a Madrox, “but you’re no Durlan. You haven’t a chance!” he laughed.

“Perhaps, perhaps not,” said a voice, as the Blue Battler suddenly swung into the fray! “But Legion World has many protectors, and the LMB has more members than you can probably count!” he added, landing a kick into the main Madrox’s face. The Blue Battler was a full-time LMBer, though he often spent the majority of his time patrolling the streets of Legion World to keep it safe. Now he took it personally that Legion World’s streets had a villainous multi-Durlan in them.

“Blue!” said Saturn Girl, joining them, and glad to see her friend. “I’m glad you’re here…” she said, but was cut-off, as an arm pulled her.

“Saturn Girl, wait!” yelled the person pulling her, who was Polar Boy. “My Omnicom went off and it’s Jailbait Lass—she just got word from Quislet and you need to contact him right away, he’s on Takron-Galtos. There might be more to this than meets the eye…”

The Blue Battler and Walk with Crowds hammered the Multiple Durlan, who seemed to be more-super-powered than normal. They had no idea that Salad-Tosser Lord had worked on him day and night for weeks now, increasing his power levels and storage cells, to make him a virtual army. The Arch Duke of Time’s 89th Century weaponry helped speed up the process it took to clone another Durlan form his body and now the rogue unleashed himself on Legion World.

“Need another hand?” said a voice, as a bat-arang came sailing into the fray and knocked a Madrox clone to the ground. The mysterious and often-rumored figure of Bat-Fem sat up higher in the shadows.

“Is that--?” began Walk with Crowds.

“I wasn’t sure she existed,” said Blue Battler, “but I’m sure glad she does...” he smiled, then turning to battle another clone.

In the shadows, Bat-Fem kicked off two Madrox clones that closed in on her and knocked them to the side.

Above, Kid Marvel and Middlefinger continued to duel, and now, Kid Marvel realized, this was an enemy far more powerful than they had previously given credit to. She had a variety of blasts she could shoot from her fingers, and apparently there must be ten different kinds, undoubtedly the work of Salad-Tosser Lord and the Trumpeter. It was the silly moniker of ‘Middlefinger’ that made one underestimate her so. He hammered away at her again, knowing he’d have to catch her unaware and use force to knock her to the ground, in order to dodge those blasts. It was proving harder than he thought.

Back below, Polar Boy stood next to Saturn Girl, who was communicating with Quislet above on Takron-Galtos. She stopped. “Saturn’s Rings…” she said to him, “…this is all a decoy. Legion World isn’t the target after all. It’s Takron-Galtos. They’re breaking all the prisoners out! We need to get up there—quickly!”

“This way!” said a voice, and they turned to see Fat Cramer, leading through a back alley into her Café. “I have Stoopid Cat’s tesseract tech in here and it can take us up there right away. I don’t think Legion World can spare anymore than the three of us, so be ready—this will be rough.”

“I’ll come with you,” said another voice, and they turned to see Commander Helena Handbasket, former Dark Oval Commander who renounced her old ways, stayed on Legion World and recently had won the respect of the LMB. However, she was not an LMBer, but time was short—too short for debating. “Let’s go,” she added, and they nodded, and went into Café Cramer, Helena’s mechanical hand flexing as she prepared for battle.

“This way,” said Fat Cramer and the three followed her. “Be ready,” she added, “Quis said they’ve already freed half the prisoners up there…”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Pillum walked down a hallway with his electrical spear in hand. Prisoners screamed to him to free them, but he was picky in who he choose. At last he came to a cell with what looked like no one in it. He checked the name. Salu Digby. Codename: Virus. “Virus,” he said out loud. “Yes, I’ve read the file. I’ve read all the files on the 52 assailants on Legion World a few months ago. You’ll do perfectly Virus, if you show yourself. I’ve come to free you.”

Suddenly, the woman known as Virus rose to full height, to reveal a Imskian. Her face was horrifically scarred, as if she had been burnt very badly. Her black hair covered some of it up, but no amount of hair or make-up could hide it all. She looked cold and calculating and was silent. “I’m ready then,” she replied. Pillum blasted her free.

And so many of them came free, as dead guardsman littered the halls: Déjà Vu freed more of the 52 from weeks previous, including a female Dominator Unkillable known only as Dominatrix, and a Bismollian sociopath known as Cannibal. Geo-Thing. The Banata Commando.

The Trumpeter came to a series of cells housing three of Takron-Galtos’ oldest prisoners: Avengilyne, Slaughter Hawk and Bloodeath, three wannabe criminals from the LMB’s first days of Legion World. “Well, the Image Trio,” said the Trumpeter. “I should let you rot…or I can give you a second chance. Let’s see what you can do,” he laughed, freeing them.

At last, Déjà Vu and Pillum came to the cell of Kalla Hryl, the former Dark Oval Officer who had been the leader of the 52 on Legion World, attempting to destroy the entire planet, though she was thwarted in the end by a handful of LMB allies. She sat quietly in her cell in her bridal gown, which she had worn when caught.

“Mistress…?” said Cannibal, who was now with the jail breaking villains, and was one of Kalla Hyrl’s top lieutenants. She said nothing.

“Kalla Hryl,” said the Trumpeter with a serious face. “I don’t expect you to join us, but you’ve been an admiral enemy to the LMB and Legion World. Having you locked up serves neither of us any good purpose. Free her,” he said to Déjà Vu and walked on, now with a huge entourage of villains behind him.

“Stop right there,” said a voice, and the Trumpeter turned with an eyebrow raised. Before him stood Quislet, Esq., the Royal Inquisitor, Fat Cramer, Saturn Girl, Polar Boy and Helena Handbasket. Behind the Trumpeter stood scores of enemies who now hated the LMBers that had imprisoned them. In the Trumpeter’s hand was the Spear of Night, often called the Horn of Undoing, one of the most destructive artifacts to ever exist.

“Dear, dear Legion,” said the Trumpeter. “You’ll never learn, will you?”

“No,” said Fat Cramer defiantly.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The scores of super-villains rushed forward at the LMBers, who braced themselves to be pushed back. Polar Boy iced the floor between them to knock their enemies off balance, as Fat Cramer leaped forward at them, and the Royal Inquisitor swung his large axe throw them, scaring them backwards. Quislet trusted the Inquisitor, even to the point of arming him with his greatest weapon.

Quislet stood in front of Saturn Girl who telepathically read their minds. “I’m shutting some of them down by putting them to sleep,” she said. “But the main antagonists are making an exit. We need to get to them. I can sense the Trumpeter, Pillum and Déjà Vu leaving.

“Sounds like a plan,” said Helena, who suddenly ran into the fray, this time grabbing a pulse-grenade and throwing it to the floor, knocking back a score of them. She, Polar Boy and Fat Cramer ran through, while Quislet and the Royal Inquisitor pushed back the now split forces into two cells.

“Let’s stay and kill them all!” said Virus, feeling the sweetness of freedom as if it was the high off a beautiful drug.

“By all means, I hope you do,” said the Trumpeter, who walked with Déjà Vu and Pillum, followed by many smart villains looking to follow the ones who had freed them. “That’s part of the plan after all.”

“I’m sticking with this guy Virus,” said Cannibal, “you should do the same.”

“Bah!” said the creature known as Geo-Thing. “I’m going to get some revenge.”

“Me too!” said Banata Commando, as the two ran back.

“The rest of you would do well to follow us to our ship,” said Déjà Vu. “We’ll drop off any who want off later, including you Kalla,” she said to the wedding gown covered figure that remained silent. “Though I’m sure many of you would rather stay once you’re heard of our plans…”

Banata Commando ran back to fight the LMB at full speed, seeing bodies everywhere, both prisoner and guard. He turned a corner—right into the fist of Fat Cramer. “Not today, Commando,” she said seriously, “we don’t have time for you today.” The Commando was a silly villain at best, and now wasn’t his time.

Suddenly Fat Cramer was grabbed by the creature known as Geo-Thing, who had aided the 52 on Legion World against its citizens. Helena remembered him well, as she lunged from the shadows, placing a grenade in his rocky frame, and knocking him forward, pulling FC away, and regrouping with Polar Boy. The creature suddenly exploded!

“Helena!” said Polar Boy, “y-you might have killed him!”

“No time to worry about that now,” said the former Commander dead serious. “I’m not an LMBer and don’t have follow your code. But he planned on killing Cramer and we didn’t have time for that right now. Let’s go,” she finished and they moved on silently.

But they would be too late—Salad-Tosser Lord had the Cacophony waiting for them, and the villains piled on. Most had been recaptured and defeated by the small squad of LMBers, as they stupidly choose to battle them. But the Trumpeter noted several additions to their ranks that would prove useful: Virus. Cannibal. Avengilyne. Slaughter Hawk. Bloodeath. And many more they would drop off, allowing them to scatter across the United Planets. Terror and fear were the allies here after all, and the spread of criminals throughout the UP once more would work well for the Trumpeter’s plans.

At last, Helena, Fat Cramer and Polar Boy reached them—but it was too late. The Cacophony was already on its way.

At once Middlefinger knew it was time to leave. And she was glad too—Kid Marvel was not be trifled with. Her armor could not take much more and she was now trying to outmaneuver him. He knew it. “Listen Middlefinger,” he said, “you might as well give up. Because my next blow is knocking your helmet off, and we’ll see who is inside there…”

Below, Madrox continued to battle Walk with Crowds, the Blue Battler and Bat-Fem, as well as other Security Officers who were pitching in. Invisible Brainiac and Shark Lad were on their way, and that would help turn the tide, as Invisible Brainiac was one of the strongest LMBers by far.

But the damage had been done. The decoy had been set and it was already too late by the time the LMB got to Takron-Galtos. The jailbreak was successful, though not completely. But enough prisoners had been free.

The Arch Duke of Time suddenly teleported down to Earth, his technology allowing him to move through space at a much quicker rate than any other. He gathered Middlefinger and then the main Madrox body, and quickly teleported back, not saying a word to any of the LMB. And just like it began—it ended.

They were gone.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Legion World– Streets of the Capital City
“Dammit,” said Walk with Crowds to Kid Marvel as he flew down to join them, “a hit and run. And we didn’t even capture one of them.”

“The streets are safe, and the damage was minimal,” replied the LMB Leader, keeping it all in perspective. “And I’m receiving word from Saturn Girl. Apparently it could be a lot worse. A major jailbreak just took place on Takron-Galtos. A large handful of them got loose, freed by the Trumpeter, but most have been returned to their cells. The LMBers up there now are rounding up the final ones, but they don’t have anywhere to go.” He looked satisfied that they defended Legion World, but annoyed at the suddenness of it all. At last he spoke again. “This madness with the Trumpeter needs to end soon.”

Not too far off, the Blue Battler waved to Bat-Fem who leapt back into the shadows and swung away. “Well done,” he said just as she was getting out of ear-shot.

“You too,” she replied. Though he didn’t say it, he thought to himself that he wouldn’t reveal her existence to anyone just yet.

Weber’s World
“Legionnaires, we need to talk,” said Admiral Cornwallis to Kent Shakespeare and Actor Lad. “Have you heard what has happened on your home planet?” The Admiral was obviously in a panic, and he was balancing his anger with his obvious respect for the LMB.

“We have Admiral,” said Actor Lad, “we’re getting LMB wide reports as we speak from Kid Marvel. Apparently its not as bad as the media is making it seem, though some prisoners were freed…”

“This business with the Trumpeter,” said the Admiral. “We need to end it. We have to focus on the war with the Khanate. The Prime Minister is breathing down my neck…”

Kent walked away leaving Actor Lad to Admiral Cornwallis, though he felt bad for doing so. Their recent conversation with Ambassador Relnic had given him a new perspective on the current UP political power players and he wasn’t sure what to think. The Admiral at least seemed to be easy to read, but Prime Minister Maya adi Lva was certainly less so.

He looked out across the wide courtyard to see any other people he knew that he could get a word with. At last, there was Ambassador Relnic, whom he wanted to speak to. But…who was that he was with? Princess Cxstina of Agueleria? The one the old time LMBers called Princess No-Protection? They were walking together laughing, as if she was charming him—or no…like he was charming her. He must be three times older than her. Weber’s World was an odd place…

He turned back around to see Actor Lad rejoining him. “Thanks for abandoning me,” joked the former LMB Leader. “And great, here comes the Prime Minister…”

Flanked by an entourage, the United Planet’s Prime Minister walked directly up to them. “I’ve heard LMBers,” she said, cutting out the whole opening sequence of dialogue that they figured was coming. “I know you realize the threat the Trumpeter is posing at this point. Though no evidence suggests it, I’d say he’s still working with Caracalla to undermine the War. It needs to end soon, otherwise we’re in for a major problem. I trust you see how serious I am.”

“We do,” said Actor Lad, as Kent nodded. There was a tension there that seemed more potent than there should be.

“Thank you then,” she replied, easing up a bit, “we can’t have terrorism rampant here in the UP. If we do, there are a variety of ways to counter it,” she said looking at her staff with grave eyes, adding, “and one of them is fighting fire with fire. I hope it doesn’t come to that. Because I think you know who some council members would prefer to send to the Khanate.” she finished, walking off.

Actor Lad looked at Kent with an eyebrow raised. Apparently, it was far more serious than they thought.

END CHAPTER TWO

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Chapter Three: The Madness of the Trumpeter

Click for fullsize image

Roll Call: Dr. One

The Science Asteroid
Home of the most cutting-edge technology and scientific thought in the universe, the Science Asteroid remains an extremely exclusive location to conduct science with very little parameters. One can only visit the Science Asteroid via invitation, which is thought to be a very high honor.

Dr. One smiled at his colleagues around him, feeling the quiet pride of knowing he’d just accomplished something great. Moments earlier, he finished his lecture on white-hole particles as a building block for fifth-dimensional life-forms and it had become apparent midway through that he had broken entirely new ground in this field, perhaps even creating his own field of science. He quickly pushed ideas of ‘Juan-ist’ thought out of his head—after all, he cared little for accolades or celebrity, rather, he simply wanted to continue to push science forward. This had been a nice few weeks away from the LMBP, and he was glad it could be spent so productively. There was hardly ever a time that the Legion didn’t need him in some form or another, so any chance to sneak away for something so bold was definitely worthwhile.

Now he allowed another scientist to take the floor and give his own lecture, and he walked back through the crowd, catching many nods of approval and smiles. There was a great sense of brotherhood on the Science Asteroid and he enjoyed the present company quietly.

Quiet, however, would not last.

“My dear fellows,” said a voice interrupting the scientist speaking, “I apologize for the intrusion. You see, on my world we don’t have anything like this because I’ve made it a lifelong habit to kill any other minds that could approach my greatness. While I had hoped to avoid doing something similar here, I can’t help but feel some sympathy for my friend Dr. Strnglv, whom you all so cruelly dismissed from your ranks many years ago. I believe you know him now…as Salad-Tosser Lord.” The ranks of scientists were quiet now, and saw the Trumpeter standing before him, holding the Horn of Undoing firmly in hand. There was hardly a member of the United Planets who did not know who he was at this point. “Dr.?” he said, turning to Salad-Tosser Lord.

The other villain stepped forward. “You’ve berated me for my morals and laughed at me for my quirks,” he began, “but I won’t take vengeance on you, dear friends. Instead, I’m going to give you the scientific opportunity of a lifetime. You all work for us now,” he said growing more grim, “and you’ll experience science on a level you’ve never dreamt of before.”

The Trumpeter’s face turned to a mock frown. “No vengeance?” he said slowly beginning to grin. “Well…perhaps some…”

Suddenly, a violent explosion of blood occurred off to the side, as a scientist fell forward in pain. This was Dr. Annoibis Gllyr, the leading expert in using cancerous cells as alternate forms of fuel—and he would never again be able to apply his mind to such research. For the villainess known as Virus suddenly leapt through his side, tearing his arm and torso off of him, and causing him to bleed to death. The other scientists gasped and screamed in horror.

“Not a single one of you will move,” said another voice, and at the back entrance stood Middlefinger, flanked by Déjà Vu, Dominatrix, Cannibal and Pillum. “Or that will be the last thing you do,” she finished quietly, holding her hand out like a fist, and then unleashing a blast of anti-energy into the middle of the group, incinerating two more.

Dr. One turned now at his colleagues who were too gripped with fear to even realize that he was a bonafide Legionnaire. He instantly pressed his signal device on his walking ring, and then did nothing else. The woman known as Middlefinger had an odd air about her, and the Trumpeter was assuredly insane.

“Boys?” said the Trumpeter loudly over his omni-com.

“It’s secure,” said the voice of Slaugherhawk, one of the Trumpeter’s newest recruits who now pledged their allegiance to him. Outside, he, Avengilyne and Bloodeath were finishing off the armed Science Police officers stationed on the Science Asteroid.

“Excellent,” said the Trumpeter, “at last, our real plan can begin.”

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.