Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Onevision: The Horn of Undoing (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Onevision: The Horn of Undoing
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Deep Space
“Anything?” said Dedman to Outdoor Miner, who was on monitor duty within the LMB cruiser. They had been searching for a clue or hint of anything for days.

“Nothing,” replied Miner to Deddy, who was piloting the cruiser. “They haven’t made their move quiet yet…”

A little far back, the other LMBers were sitting together: Lightning Lad, Arachne, Spellbinder and Tamper Lad. “Dammit,” said Lightning Lad in frustration. “And their ranks have been doubled if not tripled,” he added.

“That tells us something then,” said Arachne, “whatever they’re planning, its going to be soon. They stretched us thin and terrorized the UP long enough. Now they’ve added to their ranks, which must have been part of the plan. It’ll be coming to a head soon enough…”

“I’m more interested in this Middlefinger,” said Tamper Lad with a smile. “Besides her colorful name, we know next to nothing about her, other than she must either be a loon or is really nostalgic, for choosing that awful name.”

“Especially with its equally awful history,” said Spellbinder, referring to the fact that this was the eighth Middlefinger—and all previously Middlefinger’s had killed their predecessor.

“But who is she?” said Tamper again. “I wonder…what do we know about the Trumpeter of Earth-1, or should I say, Universe-1? Has that ever been figured out? Its no stretch that the Trumpeter here could be a female. Many of our counter-parts on Earth-4 are decidingly different from ourselves. My own is an evil villain known as the Stalker.”

“Yeah, a real stretch,” said Arachne, rolling her eyes.

“Wait,” said Outdoor Miner, “I’ve got something. Coming in, its from Dr. One… its something odd. He’s not transmitting anything…wait, there’s tapping.”

“Juan’s on the Science Asteroid,” said Lightning Lad looking at his roll call list.

“Its code,” said Tamper, listening carefully. “He’s under attack,” he said cracking the code with no help. “And we have our big break. It’s the Trumpeter—he’s on the Science Asteroid.”

“Great,” said Outdoor Miner, “just where we want him to be.”

“It doesn’t matter,” said Lightning Lad, “move out! You can bet they’re expecting us, but we have to go now anyway. They’ve done enough damage…”

The Science Asteroid
“That’s enough Dr. One,” said Salad-Tosser Lord. Dr. One stood among the scientists with his hand in his coat, sending the code to the Legionnaires. But now Salad-Tosser Lord was behind him, a blaster pointed right into his back. “You can be sure that this blaster will work on that rocky frame. You’ve alerted the Legionnaires undoubtedly, which we knew you must do. But now you can move to the front of the class. I’ve always admired your intellect, and it will be enjoyable knowing you’ll be seeing what is to come.”

“It’s a shame doctor,” said Dr. One, turning off his flight ring and following him, “that its come to this. I’ve never known you as a murderer. Since when has that changed?” he asked, looking down at the ashes of a fallen scientist and friend, whom Middlefinger killed moments earlier.

Salad-Tosser Lord’s face was suddenly frowning and at once Dr. One could see it was filled with regret. Evidently, he didn’t want there to be any death after all. He sighed, but then regained his composure. “Unfortunately, old friend, there will be much more I believe…but the science…it will be fascinating…”

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Deep Space – Aboard the LMB Cruiser
“Have you looked at the report Scott?” said Spellbinder to Lightning Lad, as the cruiser flew ever closer to the Science Asteroid.

“Report…?” said Scott, a little distracted as he prepared to give orders on the upcoming mission. “Sorry Crujeckie…” he said, getting his bearings, “…yes, I’ve looked at it. Another semi-invasion of Legion World, but at least this time there were little casualties. Its tiring…” he said, referring to the recent jailbreak. “…but we did good defending it.”

Spellbinder waited for him to finish. “Apparently Helena Handbasket and the Royal Inquisitor helped out in defending Legion World, as well as various others down on the street.”

“Again, they make us proud. Still…”

“Exactly. It worries me that we’re so stretched thin that the citizens of Legion World are forced to help out and defend our home. We really are spread across the entire UP and beyond right now, and that isn’t a good thing, especially now that we’re heading into battle with probably little chance of back-up. I think its time to call in whoever we can…” she added.

Legion World – the Office of Security
Jailbait Lass sat at her desk, updating her files and typing away. She was also speaking on her omni-com, giving orders to low-ranking security officers on how to deal with the recent clean-up while adjusting the schedules to maximize efforts on patrolling the streets. “Yes, yes, report to Invisible Brainiac in an hour for that. He is still ranking Security Officer here on Legion World…no, no, that goes directly to LMB command, I believe Monkey-Eater Lad is now on Monitor Duty…”

Suddenly, she felt an odd sensation, and knew someone was entering her mind. «Lolita, be calm. This is Princess Crujectra, contacting you via telepathy, though I’m a far distance away»

«Princess», said Lolita slowly in response. She was uneasy about telepathy, and she virtually never spoke directly with Princess Crujectra, despite the two of them being so close to Cobalt Kid. They had an unspoken understanding, though there were many on Legion World that wondered on how they would interact. «Is everything alright? I’m just reading a report now about where you’re cruiser is going…»

«Everything is as good as can be, but that’s not why I’m contacting you. We need our ranks more filled out Lolita. We need every LMBer we can get. I think its time. I want you to contact Cobie. »

«Princess…I…I don’t know if that’s such a good idea. He asked me not to. I’m not even sure how I would do it. »

«I know you don’t want to disrespect his wishes Lolita, but we need him right now. And he needs us. I know you can figure out a way to contact him. It will be for the best. He…listens to you, you know that. I can’t be there for him right now. You need to get him to rejoin us»

Jailbait Lass said nothing for a moment. Up until now, she never was sure if Princess Crujectra liked her at all, or even had given her any thought. «…Ok. I’ll try. I’ll get him…» she replied. Though she had no idea how. And as she scrolled down her list of unactive LMBers, to see where Cobalt was, her eyes landed on another name: LARD LAD.

Ggrrgg
Cobalt Kid and Princess Tarina, both dirty and exhausted, sat together once more, just finishing another mass grave burial for the many dead on Ggrrgg. Neither had spoken in quite some time.

“You confuse me Ggrr—Cobalt,” said Tarina finally. “This must have some emotional healing aspect to it,” she added, “but I can’t feel it myself. I still feel the vengeance—I know that is still there. But all I feel now is the sense of loss. The uselessness. The universe has left me behind, but not quite you. Why are you even here?”

Cobalt looked at her, his dirty bearded face unable to cover his large eyes. “I have no idea,” he said at last with a smile, “or at least, I’m not ready for that heart to heart.” She laughed with a sigh, but too tired to get into it, both too tired at this point for tears or more descriptions of their pain. “But I can tell you neither of us is uselss and there is still plenty for us to do.”

“For you perhaps,” she replied.

“No Tarina, for both of us. You can still live, and you can still grow. You can love, you can build, and you can explore the universe. I tell myself that every day, and I have for many years. No one has ever had a completely easy life. But we can grow from the awfulness, whether we are ready for it or not.”

“And for me, then?” she said. “I’m not ready to love or explore. Where can I grow?”

“You can start with the Horn,” said Cobalt quietly. “You know its still out there in the hands of a madman. What are you ready to do about it?”

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

two days later…

Sorcerer’s World

”Perhaps one of the most undefined planets in the United Planets, Sorcerer’s World remains a vague location that confuses many UP scholars. They say that in order to understand it, one must first go there. The only problem, one then notices, is that most can’t figure out how to enter the Sorcerer’s World”. – Encyclopedia Galactica, 3006 edition.

Jailbait Lass stood at the marble gates before her, completely unsure of how she had just arrived there. Moments earlier she was aboard her LMB cruiser, taken without permission from the Security Office’s stable of cruisers, flying into the atmosphere after requesting permission to enter repeatedly for no less than four hours. Finally, a response was given that she had permission. Upon entering the atmosphere, she began to see a swirl of colors, then a city upon the clouds, and then suddenly—she was somehow transported from the cruiser, into the water below, and then she blinked—and now she was here, in front of large marble gates, with mist surrounding her. No one came forward. No noise was heard.

She couldn’t stand it any longer. “Lard Lad!” she yelled at the top of her lungs. “Lard Lad! Please!” she yelled. She repeated herself a dozen more times. Her frustration was growing, and a sense of urgency over took her. What if the Princess was in more trouble than she let on? What if Cobie not only had to be found, but was in trouble? Damn her for not making sure she knew where he was going. Of course he didn’t want anyone to know…his entire planet had just been destroyed. She had wanted to respect his wishes, but…

“LARDLAD!!!” she screamed again, and this time there was a panic in her voice.

“I’m here, I’m here,” said a voice, as if he had just woken up out of sleep. He was dusting off his jacket with a grin on his face, his goatee catching her eye, then the casual grin and relaxed demeanor. “Who the hell is bothering me here? Do you know pissed they are…?” He paused to see her. He didn’t know her well at all, only that it was one of Cobalt’s closest friends and personal assistant, whom he assumed Cobalt had been having an affair with for several years. “Jailbait Lass? What the hell are you doing here? Is Des in trouble?”

She suddenly felt very embarrassed for her yelling, and was a little red. “Well…” she began, “…I’m not sure, actually…that’s not why I’m here…”

“You’re not here for Des? Then…why?”

“Well, I am here for Cobie, its just…well…I’m not making much sense at all am I?”

“Not really,” said Lardy with a laugh.

“Well, I know that you promised Cobie that if he needed you, you’d be there for him.”

“He told you that?”

“There isn’t much he doesn’t tell me, Lardy,” she smiled.

“Hm. I knew you guys were close, but wasn’t really sure of the…extent of it,” he replied.

She looked at him sternly. “Cobie is true to Crujectra,” she said, adding, “and I—I mean ‘we’…well, that hasn’t happened in a long time, and well, I, I, why are you bringing all that up?”

Lard Lad laughed. “Well, he must not tell you everything,” he replied. “Or he’d tell you I basically talk about sex and drinking all the time.” He smiled at her. She half-smiled back, seeing the humor in it. “Well, I’m trying not to as much anymore. I’ve calmed down…a little, at least. Now, you’re here for Des.”

“Yes. I need to find him. The LMB needs him. They need you too, actually. They need as many members as they can get. There’s a crisis, as usual, and this time they’re spread extra thin. Cobie has been on a mini leave of absence for the last few weeks to deal with the destruction of Ggrrgg. He told no on of his whereabouts, and left in the middle of the night, telling me he’d be back and not to let anyone contact him. But they need him, and—“

“Well, that’s easy,” said Lard Lad. “He’s on Ggrrgg.”

“Obviously,” she said to him dryly. “But I’m not here to get you to help me find him.”

“I wish I could have sent him a message in time, with my condolences,” said Lardy to himself. He looked up. “Then why are you here?”

“I’m here to get you to help me convince him to get back out there and help out the LMB. You know how he is with emotional stuff like this. Its impossible to talk to him. I figured…you could help.” She looked at him now, and he saw a genuine vulnerability in her. Instantly he realized something that most had never seen before. Probably not even her. She loved Cobalt Kid—was in love with him actually. She *had* to be. This intimate friendship and devotion to one another…he had Cobalt explain it a million times. But now he saw it from Jailbait Lass’ perspective.

“I’d be honored to help,” he said.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Science Asteroid

Outside the main buildings, a tight perimeter has been set by the Trumpeter’s new band of mercenaries and terrorists. The Image Trio, the collection of second-rate villains known as Slaughterhawk, Avengilyne and Bloodeath keep a close watch on the perimeter, hoping to show their mettle as the first line of defense. They are known for their bloodlust and cruelty, but among the LMB, they are known as just another fad that came and went. And now they would be reminded of that.

“Quiet,” said Slaughterhawk. “My senses are picking something up. Something approaching…” He’d have no time to react—Lightning Lad’s lightning ripped through the three, knocking them backwards to the ground.

“Stay down, you three,” said Lightning Lad. “This won’t get any easier on you.”

Inside…

“You see Juan,” said Salad-Tosser Lord to Dr. One, “this artifact of the Trumpeter’s is science beyond even our imagining. To undo the forces that hold the world together, whether on a micro scale or macro…its simply amazing.” Salad-Tosser Lord for the first time among the villain looked to be enjoying what they were doing, and the Arch Duke of Time took notice of that. Apparently he was not enjoying the scientific discussions with the Trumpeter as he had let on. Perhaps the Trumpeter’s proclivity towards violence was the cause?

“Quiet, all of you,” said Déjà Vu. She put her fingers to her forehead. “They’re arriving now.”

“Sweet Déjà Vu,” smiled the Trumpeter, “have I told you how much I adore you?” he said with a laugh. She did not respond.

Dr. One noticed a small spider inching up towards his chair, and onto his leg. He new instantly it was Arachne, but continued to say nothing.

Middlefinger walked forward, flanked on either side by Cannibal, the Bismollian psycho, and Dominatrix, the female Unkillable Dominator. “Let us meet them then,” she said.

“No…” said the Trumpeter. “They’re already here,” he said grinning. “Cannibal. Devour a prisoner.”

Cannibal began to laugh. He grabbed a small scientist, a Gnome-ish one with a long beard, and pulled him into the center of the room. “I like the sound of that,” he said to the scientist. “You see, I’m starving. And this rot they have me eating doesn’t fulfill me as much, as…say…flesh.” He leaned forward, preparing to bite down on the scientist’s shoulder.

“ENOUGH,” said a voice, and they turned to see Spellbinder, hovering above them, with Dedman and Lightning Lad by her side. “PUT HIM DOWN. NOW.” Within an instant, Cannibal was hurled backwards into the wall with the full force of Spellbinder’s telepathy.

It was a bold ploy, but necessary. The Trumpeter had forced them to play their hand early, they knew that. Otherwise someone else would die for no reason. Instantly, Dedman leapt down, landing a kick at Dominatrix, as Lightning Lad turned to blast Middlefinger. The female villainess was ready however, and the two began exchanging blasts of energy from a distance, each looking to find a weak spot. Spellbinder hovered down towards the scientists, to see Déjà Vu and the Trumpeter preparing to attack. The Trumpeter, however, began to take a step back, as if to let the other villains into the fray.

“A pleasure to see you again, Princess,” said Pillum, coming up from her side and hurling an explosive spear towards her. “Perhaps I can show you what a real Ggrrggian is, after all?” he said wickedly, exploding another near her feet. Déjà Vu came up the other side, using her blaster as the two tried to flank her—only to be met by a telekinetic shield.

Off to the side, Salad-Tosser Lord sat by Dr. One without entering the fray, allowing the other mercenaries to do the dirty work. The Arch Duke of Time did the same. Subtly, Arachne climbed up Dr. One, coming at last to the bonds holding his hands behind his back. In her miniature spider-form, she had not been seen—except by one. The female known as Virus, an Imskian mercenary with a lust for blood, was waiting. “You didn’t think we wouldn’t see this coming, did you?” she said with a laugh. Her badly burnt and cut face looked horrific, and her black hair could not hide the scars.

“On the contrary,” said Arachne, leaping at the small enemy, “I was hoping one of you had the nerve to face me in my element,” she added, as the two began to battle.

Most of the scientists had been huddled into one corner of the room, and it was here that Outdoor Miner and Tamper Lad made their appearance. Quickly they ported in. “Gentleman,” said Tamper Lad, “prepare to evacuate. We can’t get you all out at once, but we can come close,” he added, using a laser-tipped pen to peel back the bonds holding a younger, female scientist.

“Hurry up, Tamper,” said Miner, watching as the battle continued only twenty feet in front of them.

“There’s no need to hurry,” said a voice with a laugh, as a snake-like Madrox clone suddenly smashed her tale into the cluster of bodies, knocking them all back. “There are plenty of us for all of you!” it added, leaping forward to grab Miner’s head and shoulders with her super-strong arms. “Don’t run too far Coulan, you’re next after the bug…”

The battle raged on all fronts, as the Trumpeter walked over to Salad-Tosser Lord with a smile, and Dr. One noticed that Salad-Tosser Lord, like Déjà Vu earlier, was uneasy around their supposed ‘leader’. “I believe my friend,” said the Trumpeter, “that they have forgotten that I have the horn. I intend to remind them.”

And at last the Trumpeter let loose the Horn of Undoing, known as the Spear of Night, upon the people in front of him, and the Science Asteroid instantly rumbled, as chaos and terror were unleashed.

[ April 03, 2007, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Science Asteroid

“Back!” said Spellbinder to Lightning Lad, Déjà Vu, Pillum and a cluster of scientists, yanking them all back with telekinesis, as the Trumpeter’s horn blasted everyone in front of him. Spellbinder herself, in the midst of defending those around her, felt the effects of the horn and was blasted backwards off her feet, into the steel wall. Lightning Lad ran over to her, himself weakened.

Pillum and Déjà Vu got up barely, to hear the cackling of the Trumpeter. He turned now, to see Dedman dueling with Dominatrix, the two locked in a viscous hand to hand battle. Instantly, Dedman knew what play he would have to make. He leapt over the Unkillable Dominator, sensing the oncoming blast and was caught in the full wake of the Trumpeter’s second blast from the horn—instantly destroying him. He only hoped his power would kick in, and the Horn’s effects wouldn’t render it useless.

“We owe you punk!” said Slaughterhawk, running into the fray and towards Lightning Lad, who was being closed in on by Middlefinger, Déjà Vu, Pillum and Dominatrix now. Avengilyne joined him, as Bloodeath turned towards the Trumpeter.

“The got the drop on us—“ he began to say—but suddenly was ripped to atoms, as the Trumpeter murdered him without a second thought.

“Excuses…” he smiled. “Let that be a lesson to all of you,” he added, as Slaughterhawk and Avengilyne looked on in horror.

Arachne battled Virus microscopically on top of Dr. One, as the Imskian attempted to carve the LMBer with two mini-laser swords. But Arachne was a veteran of this type of combat, far moreso than Virus. As she began to get the upper-hand, she heard laughing. She turned, to see a dozen mini-Madrox the Multiple Durlans. “Funny thing,” they all said at once, “the types of fights I find myself in…”

At normal size, the villains all now began to pummel Lightning Lad, as Tamper Lad placed a photon-grenade on top of a large snake-like Madrox clone, to pull Outdoor Miner free. The serpentine Durlan was blasted back as the two LMBers regrouped. “Its not looking good…” said Tamper, to see the tide had turned. Before them now stood the Arch Duke of Time, with a purple globe around him, obviously the technology of the 89th Century.

“I think,” said Miner, “its time we make our exit,” and suddenly he grabbed Tamper Lad and ported out.

Soon, the debris cleared, and Lightning Lad, Spellbinder and Arachne joined Dr. One as prisoners aboard the Science Asteroid as the villains cheered. The scientists again looked on with angst and worry, though despite their cheering, some of the villains related, seeing the ash that was once Bloodeath on the ground.

“You’re beaten heroes,” said Middlefinger with a laugh. She turned to the Trumpeter. “And now?”

“And now, at last, it begins,” he said, as he walked up a large metal staircase onto a deck above them, that looked more like an observatory than anything else. Stars and endless space could be seen from above, and all that were conscious down below looked on. Again he placed the Horn at his lips, and this time, he let loose a melody more loud and horrific than anytime before.

It was the Spear of Night, renamed the Horn of Undoing, for its abilities to undo molecular bonds in the universe, and undo fundamental forces that hold reality together. The Cacophony unleashed by the Trumpeter at last revealed a plan that was truly mad—as he began to tear apart the fabric of the universe without remorse. Instantly, it reacted, the strain too great, as the alignment and balance that kept energy and matter together, that bonded atoms and molecules felt the pull. The universe began to unravel.

END CHAPTER THREE

[ April 03, 2007, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Chapter Four: Super-unified Theory

The Science Asteroid
Dr. One, Spellbinder, Lightning Lad and Arachne looked on in horror, as the universe around them appeared to be unraveling. They were surrounded by dozens of clones of Madrox the Multiple Durlan, who kept a close watch on them, and their wrists were now bound with super-dense ‘hard space’.

“What is all that?” said Arachne.

“I don’t know, but my powers aren’t functioning correctly anymore,” said Lightning Lad. “I don’t feel the lightning. That’s never happened before…”

“You’re not the only one,” said Spellbinder, with a nod towards Déjà Vu who was thirty feet away, talking with Pillum. They couldn’t hear her words, but obviously, something was blocking her from seeing the future.

“Space is unraveling,” said Dr. One to them, “that means time is unraveling too. Its complicated, but one effects the other. There are probably many ‘powers’ out of whack, depending on proximity to the event. What I don’t understand, is what’s the point?”

“Ah, good Doctor,” said Salad-Tosser Lord, enjoying every second of this, “that is where you and the other scientists will come in.”

The Trumpeter spoke now loudly, flanked on either side by Middlefinger, Cannibal, Dominatrix and the Arch Duke of Time. “Scientists! You have been wondering why we have come to bother you? Well, now you know. I have used the horn to undo the bonds that hold reality together. You have literally two hours to fix it before the universe ends. Frankly, it is impossible. But you have a slim hope of holding off the inevitable…while I ransom off the universe itself.” The Trumpeter was grinning now from ear to ear. “Good luck,” he added, and turned on a dime, and began walking away.

“And so you’re off,” said the Arch Duke of Time to him matter of factly.

“Yes, and Déjà Vu, Pillum and Cannibal will come with me. We’re going to address the United Planets at large, and make them truly think about how much value they hold for everything they hold dear in this universe. It should be an interesting outcome,” he smiled, clutching the Horn. “The horn comes with me,” he added quickly.

“Of course,” said the Arch Duke, keenly aware that it was out of character for the Trumpeter to be so obviously amorous with anything, like he was with his new found artifact.

“Middlefinger, you are in charge here,” he said to the rest of the villains. “Keep me updated.” Déjà Vu looked suddenly at Salad-Tosser Lord, surprised that it was Middlefinger in charge and not him. He showed no emotion, but Dr. One once again did not miss this exchange. The four villains boarded the Trumpeter’s ship Cacophony, and moments later, were off.

All of the villains now turned to Middlefinger. She spoke at last. “Slaughterhawk, Avengilyne. You’ve seen what happens to failure. Go find the other two Legionnaires, Tamper Lad and Outdoor Miner. Take them alive, or kill them, it matters little.” The two villains nodded, and went off in search of them. “Now, you scientists, you heard the Trumpeter. You have two hours to stave off utter annihilation of everything in this universe. I would get started if I were you.”

“This is madness,” said Dr. One to Salad-Tosser Lord. “Why on Earth would he do this, and then give us a chance to fix it?”

“Madness…” said Salad-Tosser Lord with a laugh, “…indeed. Come now, Doctor. You’re expected to help.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Science Asteroid

“This horn…,” said Dr. One to the scientists around him, “…it makes no sense. Unraveling the universe? Forgive me brothers and sisters if I find it hard to believe. But I need a better explanation than that.”

“I’d get back to work if I were you, Legionnaire,” said Middlefinger in response, pointing her gloved hands at Dr. One, “lest the universe lose yet another ‘great mind’,” she added, sarcastically.

The scientists continued to work, but Salad-Tosser Lord was unable to contain himself. “Its an odd artifact,” he began, speaking to Dr. One, though some of the villains, other scientists and the captured Legionnaires could hear him. “According to legend, it simply has the power to ‘undo’, to revert things back to their natural forms. For instance, when the Trumpeter brutally murdered that Bloodeath fellow, he was able to rip him apart via his molecules and send his energy back into the universe. It’s a truly horrific item when you consider it like that. All that has ever been accomplished, by man, by nature, by everything can be undone. And we can return to a blank slate.”

“Heh,” said Lightning Lad. “I know plenty of people who would like that…”

Salad-Tosser Lord looked at him with squinted eyes, annoyed. “That is probably the worst thing of all. Un-creation. The very concept is dull.”

Dr. One looked at the evil scientist quizzically.

“When applied to the universe itself—and make no mistake, it contains that type of raw power—it begins to break down the fundamental forces that hold the universe together.”

“Ah,” said Dr. One. “The Super-unified Theory. Proven in the 22nd Century, disproved in the 24th and now popular again.”

“Correct,” said Salad-Tosser Lord. “Traditionally, there are four ‘known’ forces in the universe. First, gravity, the force between all mass and the most important. Second, the electromagnetic force, which,” he said, turning to Lightning Lad, “includes electricity, magnetism, light, etc., which is why you are losing your powers on and off now,” then turning back to Dr. One, “the Strong Force, which binds neutron and protons together, and of course, the Weak Force, which causes Beta Decay.”

“I’m already bored,” said Arachne, to which made Virus, the villain laugh, as she walked away.

“Beta Decay is the conversion of protons to neutrons,” said Salad-Tosser Lord, “and electrons to anti-neutrons. We are using the Horn to harness the Weak force to undo the strong force, which in essence, is undoing all four of the fundamental forces of the universe at once. Its brilliant. You can see with the side-effects, as reality is becoming more unsteady.”

Dr. One paused. “Hm. I’ve always wondered why reality becomes unsteady in all of our various crisis. I wonder if its somehow related.”

“Probably, probably,” said Salad-Tosser Lord, immersed in his explanation. “Of course there is one problem…”

“Yes, I know,” said Dr. One. “There are four known forces, but this theory is a thousand years old. There are theories as to a fifth force, and some theories don’t agree. I, myself once thought of a fifth dimensional force linking time/space with alternate realities, though I can’t say for sure if that is not just an extension of the electro-magnetic force…” he began to trail off.

“Enough, both of you,” said Middlefinger. “You’re slowing the others down. Forget science, that’s not why we’re here. We’re here to show the United Planets that life itself can be gone in a blink of an eye. Science, the Legion, nothing can save it.”

Elsewhere on the Science Asteroid…
Outdoor Miner ported, and suddenly he and Tamper Lad found themselves knee deep in some sort of underground sewage system. “Why did I ever quit drinking…” he muttered.

“I swear,” said Tamper Lad, “someone will pay for this,” he added, as he saw the dirty water staining his uniform.

“Well?” said Miner. “Where to now?”

“Now? Now we wait for one of them to slip up and we shut them down. Let the Trumpeter take a few of his cronies with him. Its time we shut the rest of his gang down. Its time the LMB starts fighting back.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Ggrrgg

Princess Tarina lit her hands up with light to let herself see in the darkness, having tossed her shovel aside. There had been enough burying today, and she was tired. She began to walk back to the campsite to find Cobalt Kid, feeling the soreness in her back and arms. They had made some good progress on cleaning up the capital city.

She had no idea why she was there, or why she stayed. After all, these were the people that wiped out her own people. By all rights, she should raze the entire planet again. But she didn’t, and she helped clean it up with Cobalt Kid. Perhaps she felt a kinship with him, both being survivors of similar tragedy, trying to help him deal with what she was going through? Or maybe she was just doing it to take her mind off of everything, to find focus? Or perhaps…perhaps she was trying to find it in herself to forgive the Ggrrggians? Maybe that way, she could forgive herself for failing her people…

“You’re thinking too hard,” said Cobalt with a smile, and she jumped back, not having seen him. That worn Elvin cloak hid him easily in the shadows. It was a useful tool.

“That’s all I’ve been doing these last few days,” she replied. “Since our last conversation.”

“Ah,” he said. “The Trumpeter. I was wondering when we’d get back to him.”

“Yes. Not so much him though. The Spear of Night. That horn. You think I should help destroy it?”

“Only you can, Tarina,” he said softly. “And you know that you must…”

“But what about you, then? I go off to defend the universe, like you once did, and you stay here and mourn in silence? Go days without talking? Burying a people that treated you with contempt and hatred? It doesn’t make any sense to me.”

Cobalt grinned. “Its not supposed to, I don’t think,” he said, adding, “nothing anyone does makes any sense really. That’s what makes us so…human.”

“Or stupid,” she replied. “The smell will kill you,” she added, “we haven’t showered in days. To think, a Princess, and here I am…”

He was glad to hear her talking so much. The silence was getting to her. Before all she could do was cry or get angry, swinging wildly at debris and air. Now she could joke again. “Princesses that get dirty are the best kind,” he smiled, referring to someone very close to him. He looked at his hands, seeing a light blue energy glowing. He was healing her, he knew that. It was helping him heal himself.

“Seriously, Cobalt, or Cobaltus, or, whatever, how long do you plan to stay here?”

“Call me Cobie if you’d like, all of my friends usually do. And I plan on staying until I feel I’ve done enough. And then one day I’ll return and do some more. Perhaps if you leave, I’ll leave with you. But are you ready to leave yet?”

She was silent for a minute. They both sat there, and Cobalt wiped away some dirt from his bearded face. He tried to get if off the scar on his forehead. They suddenly hear a noise in the distance. Both looked at each other quickly, and Tarina immediately began to build her light energy. Cobalt grabbed her arm and shook his head ‘no’. They stood up.

“Wow, Lolita, what a great place to take me…” said Lard Lad loudly in the distance. “Sure, lets head right on down…obviously, you need LMB course 213, where we teach you how to land on a planet at the opportune time, like, y’know, when its day and stuff…”

“He’s close, I can feel it,” she replied. “He’s probably in the capital city, so we need to—“

“Lolita! What are you doing here?!” said Cobalt loudly, interrupting them and catching them both off-guard! “I told you not to come here! I told you not to have anyone else come here actually—you particularly shouldn’t be in this whole sector of space!” he said, his voice growing louder. “I should never have taken you to the Khanate that time…its too dangerous out here now. There’s a war going on, and you could get hurt—easily—there’s barbarian space-fleets, and you—“

“I think she gets it Des,” said Lardy. He turned to see Lardy grinning and Princess Tarina looked amused.

Jailbait Lass pulled her arm away from him. “Hi to you too,” she said.

Cobalt looked at Lardy quizzically. “Lardy?” he asked grinning. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m here for beer, but…” he looked around, “…I guess I was mistaken.” Cobalt let out a little laugh. “I’m sorry about this all Des,” said Lardy softly, putting his hand on Cobalt’s arm.

A momentary look of pain came across Cobalt’s eyes, but it faded quickly. He nodded with a smile. “I know. Thanks,” he said. “So I guess Lolita cashed in on my favor,” he smiled, and turned back towards her. She looked annoyed. “Hi,” he smiled, walking to her, and she tried not to, but then smiled back. He hugged her.

“Uh, you’re filthy…” she said, holding her hands to her mouth and face, “…and you stink! Bloody Liberty…” she said, but was starting to laugh.

Lard Lad turned towards Princess Tarina. “Anthony,” he said, “but my friends call me Lard Lad.”

“I know who you are,” she said with a nod, “Princess Tarina.” Again, Lardy wondered why this young woman was spending nights with Cobalt on the ruins of Ggrrgg, but said nothing.

“She cashed in on your favor,” said Lardy with a pat on his back, “but lets just say its still on the table. This is a sampler. But I’m here to help you get back out there and help the Legion Des,” he said, but Cobalt cut him off.

“Looks like fate is forcing you to make a choice Tarina,” he said turning towards her. “Shall we leave Ggrrgg?”

Jailbait Lass and Lard Lad looked at each other with an eyebrow raised. Tarina looked down at her feet. She hid her face from them, as a single tear rolled down her cheek. “Yes,” she said. “I’m ready.”

“Good,” said Cobalt, “me too. Its time to leave.” He turned with a smile, and put one arm around Lardy’s shoulders, and began walking to the cruiser.

“All this way, for that?” said Lardy, “Dru is going to kill me…”

“Wait,” said Jailbait Lass to Cobalt and Tarina, “you were ready to leave this whole time? I didn’t need to come all the way out here?”

Cobalt smiled. “You probably did,” he said to her quietly so only she could hear, “Tarina needed a push, and this is it. She’ll be ready to help us now. And we’ll need it. Only she has the power to destroy the horn.”

“But what about you?” said Jailbait Lass now, concerned. “You’re ready to leave? Or did you…did you come her only to get her to help us fight the Trumpeter?” she asked.

Cobalt laughed.

“You did…” she said, shaking her head.

“I think many birds were hit by this stone,” he added with a grin, looking at Princess Tarina walk confidently again beside Lard Lad, and then over at one of the many burials he had created. His face grew somewhat serious. “Thanks for coming out here,” he added, turning one last time to look at Ggrrgg before he entered the cruiser. Though he would never put it into words, she understood.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Weber’s World

“Is that Relnic with Princess No-Protection again?” said Actor Lad to Kent quietly, seeing the Ambassador walking with the young princess across the courtyard. “He has to be at least three times older than her…”

“Its Princess Cxstina,” replied Kent quietly, “and I’d say your about right with the ratio. How odd…but we need to stand fast, the Admiral and Prime Minister are around again and are looking for us. I’m not sure how I feel about Prime Minister Maya adi Lva yet,” he added, unsure why.

“Me either,” said Actor Lad. “She seems nice enough. But she’s a politician, and evidently a master one. So of course we’d be a little suspicious. She probably knows how to play her game well. That’s probably a *good* thing for the UP.”

Kent nodded in agreement, as Admiral Cornwallis and the Prime Minister said hello to them again. Ambassador Relnic said goodbye to the pretty young blond Princess and walked over to join them. Actor Lad, however, felt like something was off. He slipped away, leaving Kent to the heavy-hitter politicians and began to quietly follow the Princess. None realized he was doing so, as that, after all, was his super-power.

Kent turned suddenly, realizing Actor Lad was gone again. The Prime Minister again mentioned using Legionnaires against the Khanate, though Admiral Cornwallis was adamant that the UP military could handle things. Maya adi Lva was in her late forties by standard Terran years, with brunette hair and pretty features, though she was very business-like. Kent turned to see the Courtyard square full of politicians and ambassadors, as this was just before their usual gathering hour. He was definitely ready to leave Weber’s World after all these continual days of politics.

Suddenly, he heard a horn blow loudly in the distance. Then again, closer. Then once more, this time extremely close.

“Ladies and Gentleman!” said the voice. “Politicians and good people of the world…of which you cannot be both,” it added, “allow me to introduce myself.”

Suddenly a spear came hurling down into the center of the courtyard causing a tremendous explosion, and energy was released from all angles, sending a jolt to the ambassadors.

“I am the Trumpeter,” he said with a laugh, “and I’ve come to negotiate with you.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Weber’s World

Actor Lad followed Princess Cxstina around the corner into a garden area, and then a little more towards a faux-brick alley way, that led to normal 31st century hallways. She seemed to be going to her quarters, but she was moving extremely fast for a casual stroll—she was in a rush. Was she working with Relnic in secret? He wondered…the Ambassador was the biggest supporter of the UP he’d ever seen and a good man. Perhaps he had some secret play going against the new Prime Minister…

He turned the corner, but she appeared to be gone. Odd. There was no way she could have ran the length of the hallway in the time it took him to enter it.

Elsewhere…

“What do you want, madman?” said Prime Minister Maya adi Lva in anger at the floating Trumpeter before her. “We won’t negotiate with your kind—ever.”

The Trumpeter smiled. “Really?” he said, as Pillum suddenly hurled another energy-spear into the crowd of Ambassadors. “I’ve already used my new Horn on the poor Science Police Officers who had the honor of guarding this filth-ridden planet of politicians. I suppose I should have just eliminated the filthiness of it first…” As he spoke, Cannibal, the mad Bismollian, grabbed a scared Ambassador, and bit hard into the alien’s shoulder with a laugh.

“Enough,” said Kent Shakespeare finally. “I might be vastly outnumbered, but I’m a Legionnaire. And that’s more than enough to deal with you all,” he finished.

The four villains laughed loudly, as the ambassadors looked on. Kent seemed calm and sure of himself.

“Fine,” said the Trumpeter, “then let you be our first example,” he added, putting the Horn to his lips. As he prepared to blow it, Kent suddenly flew at him with super-speed, attempting to land a hard punch into his mouth. Déjà Vu and Cannibal were too slow to react, but Pillum was waiting for something like this, and immediately hurled his electro-spear at Kent, knocking him backwards with tremendous velocity.

“The pulse was stronger than I thought,” smiled Pillum. “I sent him clear over the wall.” Indeed, Kent was nowhere in sight.

“Jeepers Pillum!” said a voice suddenly, “aren’t we getting cocky?!” And the villains turned to see Kent flying around the corner, this time with Actor Lad, Eryk Davis Ester, Rockhopper Lad, Caliente and Lash Lad.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Weber’s World

“Jumpin’ Fishhooks!” yelled Lash Lad, “looks like we got ourselves a super-hero brawl!” he added, leaping at Cannibal, and kicking him in the face. “To think, you give Bismollians a bad name, and I can’t have that!”

“What’s this?” said the Trumpeter to Déjà Vu, “you didn’t see this coming?”

“Its that damn Horn of yours, I told you,” she said angrily, “it’s playing with my powers. And its too late now…” she said, defending herself against Caliente.

“Please Trumpeter,” said Rockhopper Lad, “we knew you were going to come here eventually. We’ve been waiting for days in secret trying to figure out when you’d have the nerve to show up…”

“Get back everyone,” Kent yelled to the diplomats and Ambassadors. “You too, Admiral!” he said, but the Admiral, a staunch man who refused to back down, refused to leave.

“My boy…is it odd that the Trumpeter…something about him…seems very similar…to Maya?”

“No time for that sir!” said Kent, joining Actor, as they battled the Trumpeter.

Pilllum prepared to hurl another spear into the fray, when a certain Luck Lord scooped it up. “We still owe you Pillum,” said Eryk, “and with a little luck—I intend on collecting!”

“Good luck then,” laughed the Ggrrggian spearman, “but you better focus on your real problems,” he said, referring to the Trumpeter.

The Trumpeter now stood in the center of them all, as Actor Lad, Kent, Rockhopper Lad and now Lash Lad surrounded him. He smiled, and placed the Horn of Undoing near his lips, and unleashed a mini-cascade of power. Eryk yelled ‘Jeepers!’ and the Luck Lord swung around and grabbed the four out of harm’s way.

Not far off, Pillum and Cannibal, realizing they were outgunned, made their exit.

“Not a bad plan,” said Déjà Vu preparing to do the same, but Caliente was on her quickly, putting a path of fire between them, and then leaping on her back. Déjà Vu turned, smacking Cali hard across the face, and knocking her back, but Cali was able to land a hard kick underneath the female terrorist’s chin. “No time for this…” said Déjà Vu, preparing to run off, when suddenly, Prime Minister adi Lva landed a hard punch into her face.

“Figured you needed some assistance, Legionnaire…” she said.

“Its her powers, Prime Minister,” said Cali, “without them, she’s useless.”

Thirty feet back, The Trumpeter put the Horn back to his lips and let another blast loose, and Rockhopper Lad was thankful that he wasn’t trying to destroy Weber’s World, like he had done at the Science Asteroid, because he certainly had the power for it. The five heroes closed in on him, unsure of how to proceed.

“Should we use lethal force?” said Lash Lad, unsure but considering it. “We certainly have cause.”

“No!” said Actor Lad, “there’s got to be a better way.”

“As if you could,” said the Trumpeter. “I’ll show you lethal force…”

As he prepared to unleash one last blast, Rockhopper Lad realized he would have to make his decision now—but instantly, he didn’t have to.

BLAM!!!

The Trumpeter’s brains were blasted all over the gardens, as a blaster smoked ten feet away. Admiral Cornwallis stood there rigidly, no remorse in his eyes. The Trumpeter’s body fell forward, and the Horn fell out of his hands. The Legionnaires were in shock. “I’m sorry lads,” said the Admiral, “but there was no other way, and this is war. I have no such code against it…”

“There’s no doubt,” said Kent, bending over, and assessing the body, as a trained field medic. “He’s dead.”

The Admiral picked up the Horn. “I will take this for the time being,” he said, and instantly, Eryk, Lash, Actor and Rocky turned to protest. There was not one among them that had not been a leader or deputy leader of the LMB before. “I promise it will not be used until more is decided. But I can’t have it out in the fields right now…” he said seriously, and they knew he was right.

“Man…” said Lash. “What a anti-climatic ending…”

“Its not over yet,” said Cali, bringing forth an imprisoned Déjà Vu in cuffs. “The Science Asteroid is still in their grasp and this is only a few of them. But I guess the Trumpeter was the one calling the shots…”

“Screw him,” said Déjà Vu, “I would never have joined him if I knew what he was like. He was a madman. I’ve been trying to leave for weeks…a lot of us have. But he was watching us…”

“Take her away gentleman,” said the Prime Minister to the Science Police. “Well, LMBers…” she said. “What do we do now?”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Weber’s World

“Where do you intend to go now?” said the Prime Minister to Rockhopper Lad, as the LMBers watched the Science Police searching the area for the missing Cannibal and Pillum.

Ambassador Relnic joined Actor Lad and Kent Shakespeare and immediately were getting filled in on what happened.

“That’s her!” said Lash Lad to Eryk and Cali, “that’s how I accidentally helped crate half of our enemies, by introducing Cobie to her!” he added, pointed at Princess Cxstina across the courtyard.

Rockhopper Lad took all of this in and turned back towards the Prime Minister. “I’m not sure…” he said, “…but I don’t think we should leave just yet…something isn’t right here…”

Elsewhere…
Admiral Cornwallis walked through the hallways carefully, a contingent of bodyguards around him. None of these particular guards were made aware of the fact that he had a very important artifact on his person: the Spear of Night, also known as the Horn of Undoing. He said nothing, and they dispersed near his quarters, allowing him to enter.

The room was dark and he turned the lights on, making his way to his desk. Finally he sat, and sighed a breath of relief, finally relaxing. He put his fingers to the bridge of his nose.

“You should be careful old man,” said a voice, and instantly, an electro-spear was at the side of his head. Pillum was hovering behind him.

“Or something terrible might happen to you,” said another voice, and Cannibal came out of the shadows in front of him.

Admiral Cornwallis looked at them, and sat back in his chair. Slowly, he pulled out the Horn of Undoing from his jacket-pocket and held it tightly in his hand. A subtle grin began to form, until it became obvious and apparent. He began to laugh.

Pillum pulled back his spear and laughed quietly as well, as did Cannibal. For Admiral Cornwallis, unfortunately, was a victim of the super-science of the Trumpeter, and before he could react, his brain had switched with the Trumpeter’s brain. In the blink of an eye, Cornwallis killed himself accidentally and died. And in his place, now commanding the United Planets military and wielding the Horn of Undoing, was the Trumpeter.

END CHAPTER FOUR

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Chapter Five: War and Terror

Weber’s World

“Man, what a bust,” said Lash Lad, “we came all the way here and that was pretty quick…maybe some of us should race over to the Science Asteroid and see why Scooter’s team has broken off communication?”

“It was a very quiet end,” said Rockhopper Lad, curiously. “I can’t help feel that it isn’t quite over yet.”

“Jeepers!” said Eryk, “I wonder if we’ll know.”

Suddenly, a side door in the hallway that they were walking in opened up, and Kent Shakespeare dodged out of the way before he hit the person entering. It was Prime Minister Maya adi Lva and Ambassador Relnic. “Madame Prime Minister,” said Kent, “my apologies. I’m surprised to still see you up,” he added curiously

“Likewise,” she said with an eyebrow. “Any luck finding those last two terrorists?”

“None yet,” Rockhopper, “but this is a big planet. We’ll have them eventually.”

“Good, good,” she said, looking tired and vulnerable for the first time, “and thank you. It seems things never cease. Admiral Cornwallis has not left his quarters in some time and I just received reports that the military is making preparations for something. I fear what the Khanate of Sol Invictus has done now that the Admiral is in such a hurry he hasn’t informed me.”

“Even with the threat of the Trumpeter over,” said Relnic, “the war remains the main issue at large,” he added.

Elsewhere aboard Weber’s World…
Caliente and Actor Lad stole a moment to themselves away from the group, to enjoy the wonderful view of deep space and a distant supernova as this portion of the planet was now nighttime and overlooking the stars. They were engaged, though romantic moments remained few and far between as they were off on various missions across the United Planets.

Caliente snuck a quick kiss in when Actor was turned away, causing him to smile. He turned to look at her, only to be interrupted:

“Aw, that’s sweet,” said Lard Lad entering, “playing it coy, I see, eh Actor?” he added. “Usually a good strategy…” He was entering with Cobalt Kid, Jailbait Lass and Princess Tarina, flying from their docked cruiser to Weber’s World proper.

Actor Lad rolled his eyes, as Caliente replied, “Har, har, Lardy…”

“Cute as you two love bird may be,” said Cobalt, using that line to add a little extra jib, “we have business to attend to. The Trumpeter…”

“…we know, we just fought him,” said Actor Lad. “You’re all late. He’s apparently dead.”

“Dead?” said Cobalt.

“It matters little,” said Tarina, who seldom had little time for small-talk. “It’s the Spear that’s the main threat. The Horn. Take me too it.”

“Tarina…” said Actor with an eyebrow raised at her demeanor, “…how plesant to see you again…”

Caliente elbowed Actor in the ribs. “*Princess Tarina*? Isn’t that the one you almost married?”

Actor looked at Cobalt annoyed, and Cobalt snuck in, “It was a trick, Cali, an LMB maneuver, really…”

“I’m just glad you’re cleaned up,” said Jailbait Lass to herself as Cobalt was now clean-shaven and back in his proper uniform, and showered as well.

“I kind of liked the bearded look myself on you,” said Lard Lad. “You should have went for a goatee like me,” he added, brushing his own goatee with his hands.

“Er, goatees are a bit evil Lardy,” joked Cobie. “Thanks for coming with me though. We’ve already disturbed you, so you might as well see this through to the end…” Jailbait Lass looked embarrassed at this comment.

“I just wish I’d have more to do than watch Tarina destroy a horn,” he replied.

Actor Lad and Caliente led them down the hallway. “Actually, you might,” said Actor suddenly. “I’m getting word that Admiral Cornwallis has just issued a full on charge of the Khanate homefront—without the Prime Minister’s orders!”

“What?” they all replied in unison.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Science Asteroid

Spellbinder, Lightning Lad and Arachne watched on, under the guard of Madrox the Multiple Durlan, as the scientists continued to work on the devices keeping the stability of the universe in check. They had worked for hours now, into the next morning, and still it hinged on the verge of destruction.

“Truly,” said Dr. One, an LMBer that was helping the scientists, “this is no longer science at all. This is pure madness. It is worse than that actually,” he said, looking at Salad-Tosser Lord, “its blood-lust.”

“But you can see the astonishing effects of the horn, can you not Doctor?” he added.

“No, doctor, I can’t,” replied Dr. One. His words stung Salad-Tosser Lord.

Not far off, Middlefinger watched on, along with the Arch Duke of Time who was by her side. “We haven’t heard from the Trumpeter yet,” he said to the mysterious villainess. “That worries me. He appears cool and calculating…but there is something not right with him. I think he’s much more erratic than we originally thought.”

“You may be right,” she replied. “But we wait,” she added firmly.

In the Underground Sewer System
“Fascinating,” said Tamper Lad, “so they have a conversion unit turning all this sewage into fuel. Yet, it still resembles a traditional 20th Century sewage system. Odd.”

“Tamper, less talk, more action,” said Outdoor Miner, as he punched Slaughterhawk across the nose, breaking it. “You’re the one shaped like these two…” he said, as Slaughterhawk’s partner Avengilyne leapt at him.

Moments earlier, the two villains had found them at last, and instead of attempting to trap or trick them, they simply attacked.

“Please Miner,” said a voice laughing, “these two losers aren’t worth two LMBers time,’ he finished, revealing himself to be Dedman, coming down from above and kicked Avengilyne’s face into the sewage. He quickly cuffed her as Miner did the same to Slaughterhawk.

“I was wonder when you would reappear,” said Tamper Lad. “We were waiting for you before we freed the others. Thought we’d hedge our bets.”

“I’m glad,” Dedman replied. “I want another shot at them.”

“Shall we go then?” said Miner, “the smell down here is killing me.”

“Let’s,” said Tamper Lad, “hm, wait. Look at that. My evil genius computer finally calculated who the most likely doppelganger for the Trumpeter is here in Universe-1.”

“And?” said Dedman.

“Apparently, a female named Maya adi Lva. I’ll have to find out who that is after the battle…I could swear I’ve heard that name before…”

Topside…
Salad-Tosser Lord looked on, as the scientists worked. Middlefinger looked on coldly, and Salad-Tosser Lord began to notice the group he was with for the first time. The Trumpeter and Déjà Vu were long gone, and he was now stuck with the others: Madrox, the Durlan mercenary. Virus and Dominatrix, two terrorists. The fools who were down in the sewers. This wasn’t what he had in mind at all when he heard the Trumpeter’s plans.

“Its no use!” said a scientist, “its simply too far-fetched to make it work!” he added. “The systems are failing…there’s simply no way to manipulate the universe in this way safely!” The scientists panic snapped him back to attention.

“Doctor,” said Dr. One to him, again referring to him by something other than his villainous moniker, “we need your help for this. This has gone way beyond your usual motus operandi. You must help us.”

“Stay where you are Salad-Tosser Lord,” said Madrox the Multiple Durlan to the mad-scientist suddenly.

For the first time, Salad-Tosser Lord hesitated. Where did this insignificant mercenary…the hired help…get off giving him an order? For that matter, where did Middlefinger, whom he helped create? He thought of those dead scientists. For all of his mad schemes and countless attacks on the LMB, he had never once been a murderer. That was not the reason for his actions. This was not who he was. “Bah!” he said loudly, “of course you need me to fix this,” he said, his words convincing no one. He had enough.

Salad-Tosser Lord walked over to Dr. One and immediately began looking at the machinery, the two quickly engaging in scientific talk. “Thank you Doctor,” said Dr. One calmly, as Spellbinder gave Lightnign Lad a look.

“What are you--?” said Madrox the Multiple Durlan walking over to grab him. Dr. One turned around, with a back-hand, using his massive frame to knock the mercenary backwards, creating another duplicate.

“The experiment has reached its conclusion,” said Salad-Tosser Lord, feeling sure of himself again for the first time since he met the Trumpeter, allowing his ego to return, “and the universe will live another day.”

FLASH!

A blast of blue flame ripped forth and through Salad-Tosser Lord, knocking him backwards, and then stumbling to the ground, as it seared his skin and burnt away his laboratory costume. Steam rose off the gloves of Middlefinger VIII, who stood there coldly. “There will be no end to this experiment,” she said.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Science Asteroid

The smoking body of Salad-Tosser Lord lay at Dr. One’s feet and for the first time, the captured LMBers saw the usually calm and collected LMB-Scientist growing furious with rage. He turned at Middlefinger, glaring at her.

“Continue Doctor,” she said.

“I fail to understand you,” he replied, growing calm again. “You obviously intend on us not being able to do this. Otherwise you would realize that we have seconds to accomplish it. That leads me to believe that we scientists are not being arrogant in our little secret discussions earlier. You truly do have the mind of a child.”

“You’re crossing the line, Legionnaire,” said Dominatrix with a growl from the side, “you better be ready to back up your insults.”

“Likewise,” said a voice, as suddenly Dedman floated through the floor, getting solid and then landing a cheap-shot upper-cut into Dominatrix chin. The female Dominator Unkillable fell backwards hard, slashing at her claws at her assailant but to no avail.

“You better execute these two as well,” said Tamper Lad, throwing the beaten bodies of Slaughterhawk and Avengilyne on the ground, “they failed you too, you heartless thugs.” He was grinning widely. “Nice monocle,” he said to the Arch Duke of Time.

“He’s mine” said Virus, shrinking down and leaping at him, “I hate green people.”

“I’m tired of getting slapped around,” said Madrox the Multiple Durlan, “leave a piece for me.”

“Truly childish, Dr. One,” said Tamper Lad with a laugh. “You realize of course, you two have just left the three captured LMBers without anyone watching them for, oh…4.76 seconds?”

Everyone turned towards the three prisoners to see Outdoor Miner, loosening their laser-bound hands with a standard LMB Omni-pick. “Hey, don’t look at me”, said Miner, “I wasn’t in the mood to do any of the actual fighting anyway…”

Lightning Lad ran forward, blasting lightning at Madrox and the Arch Duke of Time. “I was,” he said grimly, pouring the lightning down on them. Madrox immediately had all of his bodies run towards the Legion World Founder.

“Of all of our enemies, Madrox,” said Spellbinder, hovering in the air above them, “you’re definitely the most persistent…we’ve got to give you that,” she said smiling suddenly using her telekinesis to grab the entire two dozen of them and lift them off the floor.

“Hm…” said Tamper Lad standing there. “Can someone help me? I have a microscopic Imskian with Kryptonian enhanced powers coming towards me, and she happens to be an angry female, which usually doesn’t bode well for me…”

Virus was less than eight feet away, as she descended on her prey. Suddenly, super-strong web-fluid knocked her sideways and began to build and build into a larger cocoon. “Why not,” said Arachne, running towards her prey, in full-on spider-form, nearly twice the size of Virus.

Middlefinger pointed her gloves at the Legionnaires, as Dedman and Dominatrix battled one on one with each other, Dominatrix using her brute strength, but Dedman using his skills to keep her at a distance. She prepared to end their fight for them, but quickly felt the effects of lightning blasting through her. “No,” said Lightning Lad, “you’re mine.”

Outdoor Miner ported by Dr. One’s side, who was checking on Salad-Tosser Lord. “Is he..?”

“No, he’s alive,” said Dr. One. “But we need to stop the effects of the Horn, and we need to do it now, otherwise these lunatics will have started something irreversible. The Trumpeter is a loon and only Dr. Strnglv here really understood it,” he said nodding to Salad-Tosser Lord.

“It was my fault,” said the fallen villain, “I should never have allied myself with such cretins. Help me up. I will help you set things right.” Dr. One nodded at him, and he and Outdoor Miner lifted him up, and walked him over to the machine as the scientists scrambled around it.

“Aaargh!” screamed Virus, as she punched through Arachne’s wall of spider-fluid with her super-strength. “You’ll pay for that insult,” she said, leaping at the LMB Spider before her. Arachne put her eight legs up and pushed back and the two collided. Virus had enhanced semi-Kryptonian strength via the experiments of the Dominators, but Arachne had the proportionate strength of a spider when she was in her spider-form.

Lightning and Middlefinger continued to blast one another, as Spellbinder held the Madrox clones together in a telekinetic shield. “I’m going to give you one chance to return all your clones back to the main body,” she said. “And then I’m going to start squeezing you until I smush you all together myself.”
Dominatrix slashed and hacked again, showing a speed and deadliness rarely unmatched in the UP. But Dedman dodged easily, moving in and out of the poltergeist area. “Let me in on a little secret,” he said, grabbing a pipe above him, as he floated upwards. “Your facing the original ‘Unkillable’,” he added, ripping the pipe down and flooding Dominatrix with super-dense cold water that was used to run the Science Asteriod.

Arachne knocked back Virus again, and this time, the microscopic killer grew back up to normal size, realizing she had the upper-hand in that way. Instantly someone’s hand was on her shoulder, and she turned to knock him out. “Easy my dear,” said the voice of the Arch Duke of Time, “but I figured I’d you let you know. I’m cutting my losses and taking flight. This fight has seen better days and I’ve been able to elude capture this long—and have no intentions of stopping. Care to join me?” he said smiling. She felt it was hardly a choice at all.

“Again!” yelled Salad-Tosser Lord, as he, Tamper Lad and Dr. One all took control of the large device restoring the balance between the strong force and the weak force within the fabric of the universe. His burnt and bruised body was in pain but he did not give up. “We need more energy.”

“Scott…” said Tamper Lad, as Lightning Lad, in the middle of fighting Middlefinger turned his head.

“Not now…”he said, turning back, “…oh, alright!” he yelled, flying over and instantly pouring electricity into the main battery.

The scientists all stood back and waited, and Outdoor Miner realized this was it: do or die time. Lightning Lad continued to flood it, as Salad-Tosser Lord began to fall back. Dr. One and Tamper Lad caught him. Another scientist put his hand on his shoulder as well.

Middlefinger looked at the scene before her, and saw the Arch Duke of Time and Virus making their exit. Oh, how she wished she could get at the Legionnaires. But no, it was not to be today. She joined her other allies.

“How’s it looking?” said Spellbinder, flying down with Madrox and hurling him towards the beaten Dominatrix, Slaughterhawk and Avengilyne.

“Not sure…” said Dedman.

Tamper Lad looked at his wrist watch, and then at Dr. One. “Its taking too long…”

“No,” said Dr. One, “just a little faith in what we can all achieve together…”

And suddenly, the swirls of reality outside began to dissipate. With little noise and no large boom, science succeeded and the Horn of Undoing was undone. The universe was normal again, and the Science Asteroid was won back.

They all breathed a sigh of relief.

“We got four of them,” said Dedman to Lightning Lad, who looked exhausted. “Well, five, really,” he said, looking towards Salad-Tosser Lord

“What about Middlefinger and the other two?” said Outdoor Miner. “They might be too far.”

“No…” said Spellbinder, “…the Trumpeter. He’s the madman here that must be stopped. There’s no telling what he plans to do now…”

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.