Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I have been commanded to open this thread.

Please post your Comic Book related legal questions and I will attempt to answer them.

Disclaimer: I will not be giving any legal advice that you should take. The information I give is for entertainment and education purposes only. If you have a real legal issue, you should consult a lawyer in your own area of the world.

[ August 11, 2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Quislet, Esq. ]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
If you punch someone who folds back the covers of your comics, can you claim extreme provocation by said person?
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, what TS Debutante said, and what are the legal mumbo-jumbos that are keeping DC from publishing well deserved TPBs of The Legion? What's up with that?

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
You can claim whatever you like. Whether it will be believed is a question left to the trier of facts (Either the jury or the judge in a non-jury trial)

In a Criminal Trial, if you are believed, then you would get off.

In a Civil trial, even if believed, you would still be responsible for any damages caused by your actions (i.e. medical expenses, lost wages) You could have counter-sued for the cost of your damaged comic books and the damages would be off-set. although if your damages were only $2.50 and the other person had damagaes of $1000.00, you would still owe the difference.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by minesurfer:
Yeah, what TS Debutante said, and what are the legal mumbo-jumbos that are keeping DC from publishing well deserved TPBs of The Legion? What's up with that?

There is no legal mubo-jumbo preventing DC from publishing a Legion TPB. As owners of the copyright for the Legion, they can do with it whatever they want. They could stop publishing anything if they wanted to, or they could sell the rights to Marvel, or they could publish a TPB.

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Damn, Quis is extra-cute when he applies his book-learnin'!

[ December 11, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Thriftshop Debutante ]

Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Could the Siegel Estate's qwest to reclaim their copyright to Superman (and what is the status of that anyway) have any effect on Superboy, and such characters (i.e. the Legion) directly inspired by him?
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's one for you Quis. Don't know if you know the answer or not.

All of these court shows on TV where, say, the plantiff wins the case and is awarded their $5000 (or whatever). How is that enforced? Do these participants receive a numeration for appearing on the show and then if they lose their case their 'pay' is applied to the awarded amount?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Could the Siegel Estate's qwest to reclaim their copyright to Superman (and what is the status of that anyway) have any effect on Superboy, and such characters (i.e. the Legion) directly inspired by him?

I don't know the status of that case.

Presumably if the Siegal Estate wins, they could claim royalties on the characters derived from Superman. Superboy and Supergirl would be easy to claim, the Legion would be a harder sell. But if they would have to file a new lawsuit if they didn't make a claim for those characters in the initial lawsuit.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Here's one for you Quis. Don't know if you know the answer or not.

All of these court shows on TV where, say, the plantiff wins the case and is awarded their $5000 (or whatever). How is that enforced? Do these participants receive a numeration for appearing on the show and then if they lose their case their 'pay' is applied to the awarded amount?

I am not sure on exact enforcement procedures and it probably varies from state to state. But basically, if you get a court judgement, and the person doesn't pay, you go to the court and say "Hey! That so-and-so isn't paying" the Court then can order property seized, wages garnished, or throwing the so-and-so in jail.

As for the TV verdicts, I am assuming that both parties sign a contract to abid by the judgement. So I think if the so-and-so doesn't pay, the other one has to go to court to and sue to enforce the contract. Then if the party suing is successful there (basically the so-and-so would have to show that the contract was no good and would not be able to re-try, or as we lawyers say "Take another bite of the apple", the underlying case that was argued before Judge Judy), they go through the same enforcement procedures as above.

I also don't know if the parties are paid or not. Assuming that they are, it would probably be in the contract they sign for appearing that determines what happens to their "Pay" if the verdict is against them.

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

If you represented Charma's estate and wanted to bring action against those who caused her death, how would you do so?
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
If you represented Charma's estate and wanted to bring action against those who caused her death, how would you do so?

If I remember correctly, Charma was put into a female prison and the other inmates attacked her and beat her to death, right?

Well, first I would go after the deep pockets aka the government. The actual inmates woould not be worth suing as most likely they would not be able to pay any judgement.

I would argue that the government was negligent in putting Charma in with a population that would result in her being killed or severely injured.

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Ohh, and here I thought the answer would be "very carefully!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

--------------------

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

--------------------

This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.