Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » A Written History of the LMBP - now complete! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Written History of the LMBP - now complete!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
As some of you know, I have been working on a massive project for over two years now—a complete history of the LMBP. It is exactly that too, and by checking it out, you can see what I mean.

I’ve finally completed the final version! It is now available in the Encyclopedia Galactica section of Legion World, right here.

It started as an aside with Lash, and then a continuity research thread here in the MMB that took me months to complete. Then, another year and a half process of organizing a distinct timeline in draft form, and now finally, a complete version, up until the beginning of Kid Prime’s term in Oct. 2004. This covers the entire history of the LMB, which of course includes Legion World and all the posters involved up until that date.

Of course, final is a relative term…as there is no ending yet. That is because now that I have up until then complete, I need to get back to what I originally was doing and update our continuity with these last long months [Big Grin] . So that will be my next step…back to square one for Oct. 2004 – present day, and any later posters will see yourselves in there…

I, of course, hope you’ll all check out what I have so far. Its very thorough, so don’t be overwhelmed! And enjoy seeing yourselves, for those of you in there!

I suddenly feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment…revealing a geeky side of my personality that I really only suspected existed [Big Grin] . I’m glad though there is none of that feeling of completing something and then knowing its over and done with…as LMB Continuity moves forward, waiting for more updates and chronicles…

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, all of Legion World must bring you alms. This is a wonderful (and unbelievably complex) history of Legion fandom. I started my online participation with Legion on the old alt.rec.comics.dc.legion or whatever it was. I didn't participate a lot because I was kind of intimidated by everyone's knowledge of minutia. I remember there was a very prominent female poster with the last name of Draper. I'm surprised that she has never joined Legion World ---- or has she?

I remember the early days of LW. It was kind of like Fire Island, pre-AIDS. We really do need to go way gay again. [Big Grin]

Thanks against Des. And for all of you who don't know, Cobie's real first name, is my middle name.

[ March 08, 2006, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Congratulations!

...so when do you get to the part where I joined?! [Wink]

Kidding, I kid. [Hug] It really is something to (attept to) read.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
You've done the most amazing job there, dad.

I'm not surprised that you feel a sense of achievement.

Well done, and thanks.

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks guys, it means a lot! [Smile]

There's some parts that still need a little bit of fixing that I forgot (the Table of Contents and one section), but its really finished for the most part! This will fit in well with our LMB Sixth Year Anniversary, which is in four days on Sunday, March 12! (I probably should have waited, but oh well [Smile] )

Semi, those early days were crazy weren't they...? [Big Grin] . The gay flirting was rampant, but its no coincidence that it was probably then that Cobalt Kid 'got lucky' with more female alts than any other time!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

And if anyone is wondering, the Legion World stuff comes in around page 8...
Faraway Lad Faraway Lad has just turned 57
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been following this as you posted it Des. A great read and as one history buff to another I appreciate the amount of research you must have had to put in just to get things looking reasonably stright.

Now whatcha going to do with all the spare time you got now you are finished. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
We restart the thread where we ask Cobie obscure facts about the LMBP and see if he can answer them. Yay!

Actually, I've been following the thread as it's posted as well (some great memories in there) and it's bizarre rediscovering little facts along the way. Like that even though it was me that had Lucien and Lash reprogramming the LMBP computer it was actually Shark Lad that had it take the form of Dolly Parton. I'd thought that was me (since it's the kind of thing I'd do) so it was funny to realise it wasn't. I'm still pretty sure I was the first one to inroduce the JSMBP though, even if others actually fleshed out the characters and the rosta of heroes on it. I've been going back and re-reading a lot of the tag teams and such as well and there are bits and pieces in there that I'd completely forgotten about. Like, I'd completely forgotten how funny all the stuff is with Cher and her wigs. It's a shame such a lot of good stuff was lost along the way with all the various board troubles.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I remember there was a very prominent female poster with the last name of Draper. I'm surprised that she has never joined Legion World ---- or has she?

Trivia: She married former Legion editor KC Carlson. She gave up the newsgroups a while back but may still be doing her Comics Worth Reading site. I see her at the occasional con.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That is a massive project, Cobie and really well done! [Smile]

Now maybe we should put it in a time capsule and, in 1000 years, it will be found and inspire a group of teenagersspeople to form a group and perform great deeds! (We better include some Bits pics so they'll know how to dress.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished reading it.

As someone who's only been here a little under a year, I greatly appreciate your LMPB History thread, Cobie. And I look forward to the next update with the arrivals of the "Class of 2005." [Smile]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Draper would have been Joanna Draper Carlson.

I never had any contact with her, but just from stuff I read from other posters years ago on the old DC MB, I got the feeling that she was rather intimidating or something.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I seem to recall she and KC Carlson met when she attacked him with a knife at a con after they killed off Apparition!

Okay, maybe there wasn't a knife, but that makes a better story!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
wow Cobie !!

you've created an amazing piece of work !! how long did it take to research everything ?

did you have a plan or method, in collecting all the facts together ?

did you have a number of note books, with different info it, members names, when they joined, elections, events etc ......

i imagine that you must have had a wall planner, covered in 'post it' notes, with different facts written on them, that you were forever moving around, and then putting them all into the correct order !!

from reading over all those pages, it made me feel really special and honoured, to be part of this group of friends !!

i have neen lucky enough to meet some of you over the last couple of years, and i hope to meet more of you, at some point in the future, especially if the Legion Meet Up 2008 happens !!

one of my favourite memories was the LMBP elections from 2002, and myself being away on holiday in the USA [ where i first met RHINO and STU ] and learning that i had been nominated to be in the running of becoming LMBP LEADER !!

and then actually winning the vote !! that was cool [Big Grin]

many happy memories to remember and many many more to come .......

thanks for the all the hard work Cobie !! your dedication has been noted [Smile]

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Matt, it took at least eight months to a year to research up until where I am now, in the LMB Continuity thread. During this time, I would also do updates for the thread for the then ongoing continuity (i.e. Dark Stu Saga). Then it took about another year for me to lay it all out the way I did in the Draft thread in Bits, before I condensed it into a non-discussion thread in the Encyclopedia Galactica forum.

It actually turned out to be a HUGE undertaking. I've always had a basic knowledge of LMB history, but I was more thorough here than I've been on papers I've written in Grad School! I reread all the old saved threads, sometimes multiple times. In addition to an ongoing discussion with all posters in various threads, I even PMed people with questions on specifics. Then I read the ENTIRE Yahoo Group posts -- every single one for over 3 years worth! To get a sense of the people posting and the in jokes that were popular at the time, which helped inspire most of the stories that I made up for adventures. You'll see I often tried to create adventures so every LMBer had at least a few sentences with their name in print, so I often had to reference jokes that might relate to them. I also want to add that a variety of people were extremely helpful, particulurly Lardy, Bevis, Faraway & Loser Lad (on the beginning years) and Eryk (on the foundation of Legion World), since there are two glaring bits of LMB history that I was notably absent from.

I've had multiple pads with notes scrawled all over them and lists upon lists of active LMBers at certain times.

By the end, I've become so comfortable with the notion that I truly have a very real love for this group. The whole project started as a way to get a timeline for the 'in continuity' parts, but as I went on, it just became so much more important and fitting that it be an equal narrative on the real life aspects of the group's history. Its obviously very biased, but I could care less about that--all historians are all very biased, so I see no reason why I should be any more honorable than the greats [Big Grin]

I remember when you were elected leader too, as I was actually running that election! I had been leader the previous term and I also remember the very cool and warm feeling of being elected. I really can't wait for the massive Legion meet-up in 2008, which we all must ensure really does happen!

I also have thousands upon thousands of little nuggets of history that I just forgot to add into the narrative. I will most likely inflict these on Legion World (as I'm sure there have to be some people who are sick to death of me talking about LMB history by now [Wink] ).

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.