Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » A Written History of the LMBP - now complete! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Written History of the LMBP - now complete!
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Man, you guys must have been into some weird and crazy stuff before I came along, Cobie... [Wink]
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad you were able to finish this, Cobalt Kid.

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
Man, you guys must have been into some weird and crazy stuff before I came along, Cobie... [Wink]

Understatement of the year! [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Viviane:
I'm glad you were able to finish this, Cobalt Kid.

Glad to see you back Viv! [Smile]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
wow Cobie !!

it's amazing the time and effort you put into this project !!

hey who knows at some time in the future this type of story may even get turned into a book or film !!??

perhaps you should send it out as a pitch/script ........

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Perhaps I missed it somehow, but I believe the historic meeting between Cobie and Pov at a Connecticut truck stop (January 16, 2003) was not included. Was this not the first official meeting of two Legion World members?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I actually didn't include any of the meetings b/t Legion Worlders, as I want to have my facts strait!

But there were a few meetings prior to Pov and I finally getting together.

First: either Beagle Boy and Midnight Son met up, or Beagle Boy and Lash met (I can't remember the order). I distinctly remember thinking how cool it was!

Next: I believe next was a bunch of the British LMBers at the time (Faraway Lad, Bevis, Looks that Kill Lad/Paul, Mart, Terrence and possibly Ultra Matt). Actually, all of them probably weren't there, but they began meeting around then.

Next: Then Stu met a bunch of LMBers (Lash, Beagz, Omega Matt, Mystery Lad) and possibly some more. He also met Pov before I did, and possibly Rhino and Ultra Matt. He was also in London and had met a few London LMBers, including Terrence and Looks that Kill Lad.

Next: Ultra Matt's visit to the US, where he meets Rhino and Stu.

Now, the funny part is, when all of these meetings began taking my place, my dormroom at Uconn was literally five minutes from Pov's house. We were posting for a good few months before either of us realized we were both from not only CT, but the Storrs area! After finding it funny we kept trying to make plans but various things put it off at the time b/t our responsibilities. Pov had a brief lull in activity, and then when he was back to full posting power I was once again gone. And this time for a year and a half, in which time I left Uconn, never actually meeting Pov (to my hometown, which is an hour away). Well, I returned and came to LW, Pov was like an old friend by then and we laughed about it...until FINALLY Lash demanded that Pov and I meet up for 'ice cream and girl watching'. Thus, the fateful meeting took place! Now Pov and I have met 6 times (I think its 6--possibly 7), so we're kinda like the Butch & Sundance of LWers meeting up! I don't think anyone else has met up more than us...it just took us two years to get to doing it, even after we went from being literally 5 minutes apart to an hour.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
The only legion worlder that I've met is STU. We've met twice, actually, the second time as recent as last week.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
I've lost track of the number of times that I've met Sonnie, sometimes several times in the same day - first official meeting was circa 25th October 1968.

Does that count for something?

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Numf El:
I've lost track of the number of times that I've met Sonnie, sometimes several times in the same day - first official meeting was circa 25th October 1968.

Does that count for something?

Well, it would count for double if Sonnie would put in an appearance here!

And thanks for the additional historical info, Cobie. I just remembered how cool it was that you and Pov actually got together in person. Then it was Faraway hopping across the ocean a couple of times and meeting with you, Pov & Quis - and the real world meetings seemed to multiply from there.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I think Numf, Sonnie and Harbi have us all beat [Smile]

It really was cool when Pov and I met up! The next meeting was when Darden came over to the US (and I had been posting online with Darden since the Fall of 2000) and we hung out again. That was followed by a meeting with Quis & Stu and Pov & myself, all of whom Darden met but not at the same time. I think after that there were some of the cons going on, and more LWers were meeting (San Diego being one) followed by the big one to Dallas were the '9' got to hang out (I still wished I hadn't missed that one). Of course, in between all of this, Stu has met people here and there and I can't really believe anyone is close to beating him (its gotta be up to like 20 at this point).

Pov and I hung out again one more day for comics, pizza and the Incredibles and then the next time was our trip to Niagra Falls with Far, Gigi, Kent and Lou, which was cool as there were more people I'd met! The next time after that was the Boston Con, where almost everyone I'd ever met so far was at, and an additional six people (including the lovely Ms. Cramer, Vee, Miner, larger than life Abin and Cru, who I'd been posting with since before there even was an LMB). I also got to meet Kinetix there too real quick, another nice poster on LW that doesn't post as much. In later months, I got to meet Caliente too for coffee in Cape Cod.

The first meeting with Pov was really cool though. There's a certain amount of awkwardness of meeting someone in real life for the first time, followed by a 'how cool is this?!' feel to it, followed by a realization that you've actually known each other for awhile and are comfortable with being friends.

Actually, I'm overdue for another hang-out day with Pov right now--so clear your schedule for late April/May buddy! [Smile]

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i [Love] reading about LW member meet-ups !!

and just for your notes Cobie, these are my meet-up details:

Thursday 13th June 2002

i meet Rhino NYC in New York !!

Sunday 16th June 2002

i meet STU in Washington !!

next up was a LEGION creator ..... and i meet up with Olivier Coipel on Tuesday 16th of July 2002 in Paris

and then my final meet-up [ so far ] is

Saturday 23rd October 2004

and i meet Faraway Lad and another LEGION creator .... Barry Kitson !!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Lessee, I met Beagle Boy first when he very bravely drove to Memphis to visit, which he has since done at least twice more; one of those times, we arranged it to co-incide with Midnight Son (I *miss* that kid!) coming in.

Stu stopped by on his cross-country drive.

Then came the big Dallas thing 2 Novembers ago, Povvins and Quislet drove in, and I followed them to Dallas, where I met Miner, Kent, Stargazer and Yellow Kid, and also saw Beagle and Stu again.

I very stupidly missed out on a chance to meet Bevis when he was here in Memphis, but I couldn't get out of work.

Really really hate that I missed meeting Cramey and Loser in Boston last year.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd met STU a few times before the Dallas thing, and a time or two thereafter.

The Dallas con, though, was the first time I got to meet a substantial number of LWers.

No, I'm a liar. There was the San Diego meet-up with Scott, Caroline, Star Boy, Gary, and Grey among others. That was first, then Dallas. Then another San Diego with Gary, Monkey Eater Lad, Seymour, and LyleLyle. Then Boston.

Good God, it's all becoming a blur.

[ March 19, 2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Outdoor Miner ]

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
After Comic-Con 2008, everything's even more of a blur! Speaking of which, a conversation at the Con impelled me to look up this thread, with a link to the actual "A Written History of the LMBP" on the Encyclopedia Galactica forum.

Gods, Cobie -- what a freakin' massive undertaking! Major kudos! I'm shocked and amazed at how many obscure members (and alt IDs) were mentioned, including such luminaries as G. Stallion, Picard's Sexy Grandson, and Dial H for HOMO. It was also a major trip down memory lane to reminisce about the halcyon days of the Phineas B. Fuddle board -- as well as all the historical real-life first-time team-ups.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Alt ids?
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.