Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » The Next Gathering (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  39  40  41   
Author Topic: The Next Gathering
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
Man, I didn't think I would, but I'm really missing San Diego this year. Two years in a row spoiled me. Though, once I sat in that massive line again for several hours, I'd probably be all "I'm never coming again!" again. [Smile]

I hope you all have fun!

I know how you feel. I keep catching pictures and blog posts about the con and I really wish I could have afforded it this year. Well, there's always next year...
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
Finally was able to catch-up with Ronda today. As for what else I did today was mainly panels. I made it into Chuck, Dark Reign, and True Blood.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds like you are having a great time - even without us. [Wink]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I know... now that I know you guys, I totally want to go back. Time to start saving those frequent flier miles for 2010...

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
I watched the G4 San Diego Comic Con special today and it looked insane! I want to go SO bad.
From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
Took in the Phineas & Ferb panel, it was probably the most entertaining panel I've ever been to. Got some more sketches, some t-shirts, and gifts for friends. Back at the hotel now using my mad Tetris skillz to pack for the flight(s) back tomorrow.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
I know... now that I know you guys, I totally want to go back. Time to start saving those frequent flier miles for 2010...

Hmmm... We had a good sized group there in 06, the largest LW gathering ever in 08, and 10 is just eleven months away.

I'm just sayin'...

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Plastino
NOBODY MESSES WITH THE ERG-1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otto Plastino   Author's Homepage   Email Otto Plastino         Edit/Delete Post     
Time flies when you need to save, save, SAVE!!
Oh and thanks for the heads up Quank! So LW's how should we coordinate meeting up at the con. Any suggetions for locations and times?

From: Naltor trying to find someone to give me lotto numbers | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Just booked my flight and hotel for SD '10. Is it too early to start a countdown?
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Plastino:
Time flies when you need to save, save, SAVE!!
Oh and thanks for the heads up Quank! So LW's how should we coordinate meeting up at the con. Any suggetions for locations and times?

in the past, we've traded cell #s in advance, and those driving have even helped in airport pickups. We've also shared hotel info (and even rooms).

This is the Con Of All Cons - choosing a meeting space on the floor is like trying to find a quiet place to smoke on an aircraft carrier that is hosting every high school band in the known universe - it's bigger than big, there ain't no reliable/constant quiet space, there ain't no reliable/constant uncrowded space, and it can be very difficult to navigate within the crowds. We pulled it off in 08 because we chipped in on the table.

I suggest an off-site meeting point at the outset, perhaps the hotel lobby of whoever is staying closest to the Con. Once one has fought one's way inside the lines, you can try to find a common meeting point out on the back deck/back steps, once people have the lay of the land and can figure out how to get to/from there.

If you plan a Wednesday meet-up, make it early enough in the afternoon, as some people will want/try to get into the preview night. With all floor and no programming that night, meeting inside will be impossible.

Having helped with logistics for several LW meet-ups, I can assure you San D is the hardest, simply because of its magnitude. But it can be done.

a few thoughts:
-do not try to drive/park anywhere near the Con site. It ain't worth the price or aggravation. There are shuttle buses, city buses and the trolley; all work fine.

-The Outdoor Miner rule: eat a big breakfast and plan to skip lunch. The pickings inside aren't the best (nor the worst), and ain't cheap. If you're like me and cannot skip a meal that easily, avoid the nearby restaurants at lunchtime (they'll be packed) at hit the grocery store about a half-dozen blocks diagonally north. Best prices and the prepared foods are not bad at all. Short lines, too.

-do not plan to meet up anywhere within 45 minutes on either side of the floor closing; your plans will not work. Do not plan meet-ups at the DC booth; they will have their own lines and events, and it can get very crowded at unexpected times.

-keep an eye on the Padres home-game schedule; the stadium is right next door. They try nor to have home games during the Con, but it can happen anyway. The extra foot and vehicle traffic further complicates meet-up plans.

-keep your cell phones charged and on, or at least check your messages a 1/2 hour prior to planned meet-up times, to see if there are any changes. Other people may become aware of complications you haven;t encountered.

-if you chose to meet up for an evening meal, choose restaurants at least 6 blocks from the Con Center.

-do yourself a favor and take at least a half-day to see something other than the Con. San D has lots of attractions (the Zoo, Balboa Park, Old Town, SeaWorld, among others), and Mexico is an easy trip down the trolley line.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:

-The Outdoor Miner rule: eat a big breakfast and plan to skip lunch. The pickings inside aren't the best (nor the worst), and ain't cheap. If you're like me and cannot skip a meal that easily, avoid the nearby restaurants at lunchtime (they'll be packed) at hit the grocery store about a half-dozen blocks diagonally north. Best prices and the prepared foods are not bad at all. Short lines, too.

All good advice. The grocery store in question is open 24-7, I believe, though the prepared foods section closes at some point at night.

Those of you who also can't skip a meal could consider bringing meal bars of some kind in your bags or backpacks. Also remember to drink lots of water as both the SD air and proximity to the masses will suck the moisture right out of you.

The basic con rules for looking after onself tend to go like this:

- eat at least 2 real meals a day. A handful of chips and a soda does not count as a meal.

- take at least one shower a day.

- get at least six hours of sleep a night, or whenever. I find this one to be the hardest to adhere to, especially if the con is rockin' (like this year's Dragon*Con was). Do your best.

- also consider bringing cold medicine or whatnot just in case. You'll be spending a lot of time in rooms with hundreds if not thousands of other people. Washing your hands after each trip to the bathroom should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
...there ain't no reliable/constant quiet space, there ain't no reliable/constant uncrowded space, and it can be very difficult to navigate within the crowds. We pulled it off in 08 because we chipped in on the table...

For me, having the table as a "safe haven" was what made the '08 con work. It was a place to come back to, a place to stash stuff, and a ready-made meeting spot. Anyone seriously organizing a LegionWorld meetup at the '10 con should seriously consider doing a fan table. I'm going to try to go next year and would definitely be willing to kick in some money on the table again (especially since it got me an exhibitor's badge!)
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I'm definitely down for a LW 2010 gathering. I'm not much on the whole organization side of things, but (as Sudro states above) if someone were to step into that role, I'd gladly contribute to the table costs, as well.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm.... should I go? If I do go, it is mainly to meet up with other Legion Worlders.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with Quis on that. The Con was interesting for people-watching, but it was overwhelming for almost anything else. Meeting up with my LW folks would be the most important thing for me too. If we decide to do it, I'll also contribute towards a table.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  39  40  41   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.