Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Who is Lardy's archenemy? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Who is Lardy's archenemy?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Is there an existing character that you'd consider Lardy's nemesis? If not what should this character be like?

Personally, I'd rather the enemy NOT meet either of two criteria:

1) Evil doppleganger. Yeah, there have been many alternate Lardies running around over the years, but those were always there to underline Lardy's own potential to turn evil. Few of them could ever match up to Lardy's own evil potential, so I'd discount them. Yes, Lardy may very well be his own worst enemy, but what about someone else?

2) Opposite character. Occasionally, we've had fun with Lardy being opposed by especially fit or slender characters, like a Richard Simmons thing. (I think Phineas conjured a fit Lardy doppleganger once, combining both of these.) It's good for a laugh but doesn't really resonate much beyond that.

So whaddaya think? What new or existing LMB character should be Lardy's nemesis? What attributes would be perfect without doing either of the above?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Bizarro Nardo. Biznarrdo.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know that he has or really needs one.

The LMB, like the Legion that inspired it, is a team. A few members of the LSH have personal nemeses (Regulus for Sun Boy or Roxxas for Element Lad, for example), but most of their enemies are enemies of the entire team.

A few LMBers have a personal archenemy, but not everyone. Rocky has Evil Emperor Pyngwyn, but he is an evil doppelganger and for Rocky--who is (despite breaking Lardy's heart and briefly coming under the sway of Evil Lash) not generally prone to evil--that is a great contrast. As you point out, Lardy's own potential makes such a doppelganger pointless.

In the long run, I think you're right that Lardy is indeed his own worst enemy.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's keep playing with the evil potential. Dark Reign II is a joke, but we can dance along that gray line. I would love to pull out some Marvel villains (or at least villainous costume designs) and just unleash them onto the LMB world. I really want to do a Marvel costume party.

Think about Shakespeare and Faust and you can see the shades of gray in literature.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Himself--that's his great story!

Beyond that, Mordra. And her being dead by no means lessens it! Her history with Lardy still hangs over him in all his actions and therefore keeps her as his true nemesis!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
If you need an archenemy, I'll be it for you.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Is Lardy evil or good, or is he torn between the forces of both?

Considering how Rocky jilted you over your loss of power, I thought he was your arch nemesis--spurned lover and all that. [Wink]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Reverse-Chief Lardy?
He wears that yellow costume and streaks around this site posting lies about the real Chief Lardy. [Mad]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
how about...
Calamity Monkey?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Whoever he turns out to be I bet he'll have on a black hat!
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought that Zardi was Lardy's arch-nemesis-in-waiting.

[shrug] Maybe he's too busy running his chain restaurant, though...

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
I thought that Zardi was Lardy's arch-nemesis-in-waiting.

[shrug] Maybe he's too busy running his chain restaurant, though...

Actually, I've been thinking a lot about Zardi in this discussion. I don't know if Abin created him with Lardy in mind as his major opponent (in fact I'm sure he didn't), but Zardi seems kind of keyed in on Lardy with most of what he does. If nothing else, Zardi seems like a perfect foil for Lardy in many ways.

quote:
Originally posted by future king:
Whoever he turns out to be I bet he'll have on a black hat!

Pretty sure Zardi wears one... [Hmmm?]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
how about...
Calamity Monkey?

I think he's Edie's archenemy...or Pov's. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by future king:
Reverse-Chief Lardy?
He wears that yellow costume and streaks around this site posting lies about the real Chief Lardy. [Mad]

Kind of on the "Opposite Character" spectrum, isn't it? I think he'd be pretty popular with the populous, though--giving gift cards and credit vouchers instead of tickets! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
Is Lardy evil or good, or is he torn between the forces of both?

Considering how Rocky jilted you over your loss of power, I thought he was your arch nemesis--spurned lover and all that. [Wink]

Lardy's nature is essentially good, I think. But there's something in his make-up that just can't handle power. In his case power definitely corrupts. He's lost his super-powers but has gained the power of the Chief of Security. The effect appears to be very similar at this point.

Is Rocky his nemesis? Nah. But there's a part of Lardy that feels Rocky dumped him for reasons other than the stated one that by Pyngwyny law Rocky can not have a consort without super-powers. And that thought is eating away at Lardy in a bad way.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
If you need an archenemy, I'll be it for you.

Quis as Lardy's archenemy? Not seeing it, but I think Quis would be one to step up to Lardy as Lardy takes his role as Chief more and more over the edge.
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:

In the long run, I think you're right that Lardy is indeed his own worst enemy.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Himself--that's his great story!

Beyond that, Mordra. And her being dead by no means lessens it! Her history with Lardy still hangs over him in all his actions and therefore keeps her as his true nemesis!

Again, I've stated that Lardy is his own worst enemy, and every character beat I contribute seems to underline that more and more. However, I don't think Lardy will ever truly realize until it's perhaps much too late. I think at some point he will fixate on someone as his "nemesis" in such a way as to further himself from reality until it's too late. (Sounds more like Zardi the more I think about it...)

And, yes, Mordra was his nemesis while she was alive. She pushed him closer to the edge (and over it for a time) than he's ever been. And that's exactly the way she wanted it.
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Bizarro Nardo. Biznarrdo.

[Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow:
Let's keep playing with the evil potential. Dark Reign II is a joke, but we can dance along that gray line. I would love to pull out some Marvel villains (or at least villainous costume designs) and just unleash them onto the LMB world. I really want to do a Marvel costume party.

Think about Shakespeare and Faust and you can see the shades of gray in literature.

Arrow, I'll admit that your character's continuity confuses me, so you'll pardon me if that left me a bit lost. [Embarrassed]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.