Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Dave Cockrum's unpublished creations (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Dave Cockrum's unpublished creations
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anyone out there have or no a place where I can find Dave's uncolored two-page spread of the Bouncing Boy/Duo Damsel wedding ceremony?

It was reprinted in the Legion issue of the Amazing World of DC Comics -- which I own. But I stupidly colored it when I was a kid.

If not, I'll try scanning the version I have and cleaning it up.

Thanks.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
I did the same thing to mine when I was a kid I wore that issue out I even lost the cover,But I did get a fresh copy off of ebay if I can remember where I put it I'll try to get you a scan,and come to think of it all the scans I've seen online are in color.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
All those characters look great and interesting. I wish DC or another publisher would revive them somehow. [Smile]
From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
I did the same thing to mine when I was a kid I wore that issue out I even lost the cover,But I did get a fresh copy off of ebay if I can remember where I put it I'll try to get you a scan,and come to think of it all the scans I've seen online are in color.

I'd appreciate that Lone Wolf.

Loved that issue of Amazing World. I remember receiving it around my birthday (in January) when I was under the weather -- and it was better than medicine.

I missed Superboy 200 when it came out -- so this was my first look at that gorgeous 2-page spread. And that unpublished Legion cover of Dave's was also a thing of beauty.

Lots of good reading too. The character profiles are a great resource.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image

An extra super-large version is here.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:
Does anyone out there have or no a place where I can find Dave's uncolored two-page spread of the Bouncing Boy/Duo Damsel wedding ceremony?

I guess someone didn't buy the Legion Companion, then. [Smile]

Seriously, folks, it's almost sold out, so if anyone still wants it, it won't be available much longer.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
There are some really.... interesting comments on this thread about Dave's unpublished properties. For the record, Marvel and DC only own what they bought. If it didn't appear in a comic book, they didn't buy it. It doesn't make a difference where it was intended to go, they only bought what they published.

Dave Cockrum was a freelancer, not an employee of any company, therefore his work product was his own, not the company's by default. In fact, comic book fans tend to have a skewed view of publishing altogether due to "work of hire" contracts. By default, in publishing, a creator owns his own work, period. A publisher must make special arrangements for the transfer of copyright, otherwise the copyright stays with the creator. In comics, that's the "work for hire" contract. Again, by default, the publisher does not automatically own everything. The publisher must make special arrangements to purchase the copyright of a property, and if it does not make that purchase, it does not own that property.

All of Dave Cockrum's unpublished creations are now the property of his estate, which is essentially Paty Cockrum. Again, comic book creators are not employees. They are independent contractors who enter into a business relationship with a publisher on a case-by-case basis. Neither side is "weaker" in such a relationship. If you've got something that someone else wants, then you're both standing on the same ground.

As for DC buying the characters, why on God's green earth would Paty do that? Why would she be so dumb as to give away the farm for a single cheque? To make some comic book fans happy? Remember the X-Men? Remember how Dave always regretted not owning a piece of that action? Why, given everything that the Cockrum family went through over decades, would Paty Cockrum be so dumb as to repeat that mistake? You only give up ownership if there's a damn good reason for doing so, and losing characters in perpetuity just so they could appear once in a comic book story isn't even a decent reason. It's just silly.

In life, you have to look out for your own interests, mainly because the other side is looking out for theirs. DC has done crossovers in the past; they don't need to purchase the rights from anyone to tell a story using those characters. Instead, they could just work out a deal where both parties benefited and retained their own copyrights. It happened with Batman/Spawn, it happened with JLA/Avengers, and it could happen, in theory, with the Cockrum estate. Realistically, it's not going to happen because there isn't a market for it (internet inflation, i.e., a few people talking about it, notwithstanding), but in theory, it could. There's no need for Paty Cockrum to be a schumck and lose all rights forever to a potentially valuable property in the bargain. How dumb would the Cockrum family be to do that a second time?

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not familiar with copyright law in the USA. I thought the right to use a character owned by someone else was some sort of "copyright", even though it's obvious that buying a character is different from using a character.
Thank you for a very imformative comment on the matter.

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah I started this post I guess I was being a little selfish wanting to see Dave's characters in the Legion once again and to strengthen his Legion legacy that often is overshadowed by his X-Men legacy and for his characters to be seen by a whole new generation,the most important thing of course would be for Paty Cockrum to be fairly compensated but like someone else said I dont think DC would be willing to do this,That being said to me Dave Cockrum will always be my generation's Jack Kirby.
In a perfect world everyone would benefit the Cockrum family and Dave's Fans.

[ April 03, 2011, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Lone Wolf Legionnaire ]

--------------------
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Glen Cadigan:
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:

I guess someone didn't buy the Legion Companion, then. [Smile]

Seriously, folks, it's almost sold out, so if anyone still wants it, it won't be available much longer.

Umm, I do have that. Unless my edition is missing two pages, that spread is not part of the Companion.
kcekada
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Click for fullsize image

An extra super-large version is here.

AWESOME!!!

Thanks Nightcralwer! Don't know how you resisted coloring those pages.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
One of the things I noticed while setting up the image was that Dave's costume re-designs blended well with the original costumes he left in place.

Dave was wise enough to see that while some of the costumes had room fro improvement, not all of them needed to be redone (for the sake of redoing). I wish modern artists showed that level of respect and design sense.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

[/qb][/QUOTE]I guess someone didn't buy the Legion Companion, then. [Smile]

[/QUOTE]Umm, I do have that. Unless my edition is missing two pages, that spread is not part of the Companion. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes I forgot it was in there to, but it is on page 74 of the companion.

[ November 25, 2007, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Lone Wolf Legionnaire ]

--------------------
But they won't.

kcekada
Active

Indeed it is, but much smaller than the Amazing World version.

Still think someone needs to put together the Ultimate Cockrum collection with colored glossy pages where appropriate.

It would include designs of all the characters he created (that were used) and some of the better ones he didn't.

Plus, more uncolored work from Legion and X-Men. He did some great covers doing Byrne's run. I think had a much better sense of drama and layout than Byrne did.

kcekada
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Glen Cadigan:

All of Dave Cockrum's unpublished creations are now the property of his estate, which is essentially Paty Cockrum...

As for DC buying the characters, why on God's green earth would Paty do that? Why would she be so dumb as to give away the farm for a single cheque?...
There's no need for Paty Cockrum to be a schumck and lose all rights forever to a potentially valuable property in the bargain. How dumb would the Cockrum family be to do that a second time?

Here are my thoughts on the situation.

Cockrum-owned characters are going to languish forever unless one of the following happens:

1) Paty licenses the characters to another publisher. Honesty, I doubt there is much demand for these characters, and it would probably take a Cockrum fan like Jim Lee or maybe one of Dave's contempories like George Perez to get a publisher interested.

2) Paty self-publishes or finds an Independent label that would let her maintain ownership (seems likely). If she could get someone to revive the Futurians, the Outsiders and other such characters could be used in that series.

3) DC and or Marvel buy the characters for either the Legion or X-Men properties because they were created by Dave. Someone could write a backstory for these characters -- that they actually existed in the era in which Dave worked on the books. I don't think this is a likely scenario.

I think a revival of the Futurians is the best bet, but it's going to take some unique creators to do it.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.