Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » From Sketch to Inks (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: From Sketch to Inks
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi all - in another thread there's been mention of an initial sketch I did for one of the preview pages that included a lot of smiling legionnaires - I thought perhaps those of you who haven't seen it might like a look [Smile]

It's followed by what was the final inked version of the page so you can see how many changes take place between one of my sketched pages and the finished version.

The Boy with Ultra Powers has posted yet another early verion of the page on another thread which you might like to compare to both! [Big Grin]

-

-

Hope you like them!

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myriad
The One Woman Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myriad           Edit/Delete Post     
Who inks your work, Barry?

--------------------
Visit Myriad's Legion of Alt-IDs in Bits and LW Directory in the MMB

From: All Possible Locations | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Simply beautiful! I personally like my Legionnaires smiling. [Smile]

That background makes my head spin. The amount of detail puts Perez to shame. Wonderful job, Barry!

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frog King
The B^|@h is back!!!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frog King   Email Frog King         Edit/Delete Post     
I love it! It's beautiful!

Can I ask you what tools were used for the inking(pens, pencils...)? Was the background drawn separatly?

From: Berlin | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for sharing Barry! Your participation here is heads and shoulders above what I would've expected from someone who has to churn out 40 pages a month! Jo looks great in the "grinning" page (I'm surprised Matt didn't buy that one) and I'll echo Nightcrawler's amazement at the background. Having to draw something like that would drive me nuts.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Who decides whether they're to be grinning or serious in the final version?

Couldn't decide which one I prefer, they're both beautiful, but with quite different moods.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys - Thanks very much!

Hi Myriad - I inked this myself.

Hi Frog Kid - I did draw the background separately, because I knew from the start I was going to want to tinker with the figure placements...and I couldn't face drawing that cityscape more than once! [Smile]
The figures are inked virtually entirely with a kolinsky sable brush and Doc Martin india ink. The background with technical pencils and dip pens. Various sizes, but mostly o.25.

Hi Fat Cramer - The decision about the grins was really a joint one - we wanted to send out the message that this Legion isn't all fun and games, but serious and dangerous too. I also liked that the serious faces contrast and complemented Lyle's joy at being part of the group.

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myriad
The One Woman Legion

So you're drawing 40 pages per issue, inking 40 pages per issue, traveling for cons, AND interacting with us fans at Legion World???

The Legion property is in good hands, sir.

Barry Kitson space-rawks! [Big Grin]

[ October 26, 2004, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: Myriad ]

--------------------

From: All Possible Locations | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Hi Myriad - I can't take quite that much credit though - There are 30 pages of story per issue - I'll be drawing them all and inking as many as I can - though we do have an amazing superstar inker or two in line to help out - and believe me, they can ink me as well, if not better, than I can! I'm not sure if I can spill the beans on the details yet though...but you won't be disappointed! Trust me I wouldn't let anyone touch this job if I didn't think they were up to it! [Smile]
The other ten pages will be ads and editorial - we've been pushing to reinstate a letters section, but there's no definite decision on that yet...as sson as there is I'll be happy to let you know!
Thanks again!

[ October 26, 2004, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Barry Kitson ]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, if we write letters, that'd probably help the cause, huh? [Smile]

P.S.-- I prefer the sketched Sun BOy to the final... [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myriad
The One Woman Legion

quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
P.S.-- I prefer the sketched Sun BOy to the final... [Wink]

I agree. I can get over Dirk going blonde instead of redheaded but I didn't like his inked hairstyle as compared to the sketched one.

Oh, well. Send him to the Super Hairdresser... of Space!

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
I prefer the sketched Sun Boy to the final...

Me too. But overall I'm glad you went with the non-smiley version Barry. It fits the overall mood of the story much better IMO and really gives the impression that this team means business. I also think it would've felt too 'Archie-Legion' all over again if they'd been smiling.

Thanks for the images!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of Sun Boy - I don't know if its been mentioned anywhere else, but I was wondering why the hair colour change was made Barry?

Was it simply a case that you liked him better as a blonde or is there a deeper reason for it? Maybe to differentiate him from Garth a bit more? ... Or is it just a colouring error? [Wink]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loser Lad   Email Loser Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry, do you always pencil that tight when you're inking yourself, or was that first drawing not intended to be a finished page? That's awful detailed pencil work for something you weren't planning to hand off to another to ink.

I've got to say I think I prefer the way a few of the Legionnaires look in the pencilled sketch. Saturn Girl leaps to mind. I was worried about her costume from what we saw in the preview, but after seeing the pencils I've got to say I like her new design. Of course her more prominent position in the first piece probably has a lot to do with that. I think I like Shady better in the pencils as well, but I think the shoulder pads are a little too large. Shoulder pads are *so* 2988. [Big Grin]

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the pics Barry! I hope you'll be able to share some other preview sketches with us soon. December is way too far off...

--------------------
The LMB Archives

From: The Loser Cave | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow!I love all this behind the scenes stuff....
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.