Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » So Shooter WAS in fact fired from legion (Interview) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: So Shooter WAS in fact fired from legion (Interview)
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It seems that Shooter was INDEED fired form Legion and re-hired back when Rich Johnston announced it in his column.

Here's a very interesting interview about Shooter's misadventures with DC and Didio.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18623

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
Clearly, in the eyes of DC's management, petty interpersonal politics matter more than the quality of their product.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think Mr. Shooter comes across looking good himself.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I've thought the covers were really good... particularly starting this month...

I guess Shooter really is tough to work with... Mort was really hard on him, too, back in the day... [sigh]

I still wish we could see more SnM after # 50.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
He's always been nice to me...

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:

Jim Shooter's never had a reputation for being easy to work with in the first place, and I can understand his bitterness.

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
At the #47 thread, I mentioned that I don't think the things Shooter said in the article were all that bad. Yeah, many of us are Manapul fans (Fanapuls?)
so it's hard to hear Shooter criticize him, but put yourself in Shooter's position. He's seen scads of artists over the years, of all qualities. He's seen countless production issues. I think he's qualified to say what he's said.

However, he seems to be the first to call himself a complainer. That's not good. I'm surprised they cancel a beloved series just to get rid of the writer. That just doesn't seem true somehow.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not so sure "Super Lad" would have been a great idea. IMHO, Superboy/man Prime was always a crummy character (especially now as a ruthless villain) and just waters down the integrity of the Superman mythos. Extra "Supers" might help sell a few more issues, but in the long run, the Legion would probably suffer script-wise (more than it already has) from a mandated psuedo Superboy.

I'm a little disappointed that Geoff Johns felt the need to off Rond Vidar in Lo3W in favor of a super - Daxamite Sodam Yat? Rond seemed to be the more interesting character with a more interesting history to work upon. With the amazing plethora of characters in the Legion, a dominating Super doesn't have to be necessary.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

I thought the same thing. It's not so much he's rude or arrogant or insulting, just unprofessional. But to each his own...
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
I'm surprised they cancel a beloved series just to get rid of the writer. That just doesn't seem true somehow.

Well, we only have Mr. Shooter's version in this interview. I'm sure Dan Didio would tell a different version.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
quote:

I thought the same thing. It's not so much he's rude or arrogant or insulting, just unprofessional. But to each his own...
I agree.

I have mixed feelings about the interview. In some ways, I appreciate Shooter's candor. It provides a revealing insider's glimpse of what may have gone wrong. If I were doing research on the Legion, I might find this information valuable.

On the other hand, his criticisms of his collaborator and the company he worked for come off as self-serving and insensitive. I have no idea how Francis might feel about these comments, but I wouldn't appreciate my weaknesses (real or imagined) being discussed publicly by a collaborator. Shooter comes off as condescending by suggesting that Francis may become one of the greats someday if he fixes the things that Shooter feels are wrong with his art.

Likewise, his suggestion that the company cancelled the series out of spite aimed toward him comes off as petty and arrogant. Shooter may be right (who knows?), but it sounds as if he should be telling these thoughts to a friend (or therapist) instead of a reporter.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Having read it, after reading the response to it, I'm rather surprised by how many *nice* things he has to say about Francis, praising his hard work and his being 'incapable of drawing a dull scene.' He's critical, but, unlike his references to Didio, he actually seems to *like* Francis and think he's headed for great things.

Gosh, am I glad to not see 'Super Lad.'

If they'd somehow found a way to bring in Conner Kent or Laurel Kent as a pre-existing 'House of El' character, or even do something sneaky like bring in a new Sensor Girl who actually *was* a super-senses only Krypto-spawn, I'd be fine with that, because I *like* those pre-established characters, but to just slap an S on some new character and expect the Superfans to roll over and splash out money is disrespectful, IMO.

And now, I kinda get the heavy, heavy use of Ultra Boy. I'll bet biscuits to quatloo that some of those kickass Ultra Boy action scenes were originally written as 'let's establish SuperLad as a kickass new character!' scenes...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
quote:
quote:

On the other hand, his criticisms of his collaborator and the company he worked for come off as self-serving and insensitive. I have no idea how Francis might feel about these comments, but I wouldn't appreciate my weaknesses (real or imagined) being discussed publicly by a collaborator. Shooter comes off as condescending by suggesting that Francis may become one of the greats someday if he fixes the things that Shooter feels are wrong with his art.

I don't know. I think somebody like Shooter who has been in the industry for many decades has the right to say his honest opinion about a relatively new artist. It's not condescending everytime an experienced professional tells somebody young a way to improve his work. This man has lead the Legion, later Marvel Comics, later Valiant to incredible heigths. Maybe his criticism could have been done in a more private way - but when this criticism is intermingled with the accolade of saying FJM can become one of the greats - then I guess this public criticism is not all that bad...
From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
quote:
quote:

I don't know. I think somebody like Shooter who has been in the industry for many decades has the right to say his honest opinion about a relatively new artist. It's not condescending everytime an experienced professional tells somebody young a way to improve his work. This man has lead the Legion, later Marvel Comics, later Valiant to incredible heigths. Maybe his criticism could have been done in a more private way - but when this criticism is intermingled with the accolade of saying FJM can become one of the greats - then I guess this public criticism is not all that bad...
Yes, but you say that directly to the artist or writer. When you say it in an interview, you make the artist or writer look bad.

--------------------

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
At first, reading his comments on FJM, I thought it was insulting. But as I read them more, he was commenting on the work and what he thought would improve the art. That comes from being in the business, from being an editor. His actual words were rather diplomatic and constructive.

That he said them in the interview seemed odd to me.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.