Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » So Shooter WAS in fact fired from legion (Interview) (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: So Shooter WAS in fact fired from legion (Interview)
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm currently feverishly in hate with #47. I just got it today. To me, it's just page after page of reasons why it is not Manapul's weak story telling skills that caused the fate of this series.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to agree with Spellbinder... it's like I kept waiting for something to happen, say over the coarse of Shooter's first 2 - 3 issues, but alas nothing "wowed" me. And this sort of flatness continued another 8 issues until the present. (and the stories are still flat)
I'm the type of Legion fan that if I'm not moved to go back a re-read a story (sometimes more than once or twice) then that comic goes in the pile and just stays there forever. For me this is what happened with every Shooter issue, except maybe a few issues where I picked up the book again just to marvel and FJM's awesome pencils!

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duck458
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duck458   Email duck458         Edit/Delete Post     
What I learned today: grokked.

I seem to be in the minority as one who agrees with Shooter that FJM drew very pretty pictures but is still learning how to tell the story through his art. There is nothing that either said that would suggest that Shooter did not make his critisims known to FJM prior to this interview. In fact doesn't it make sense that he would, given Shooter experience vis a vis FJM's?

Admittedly,I have never gotten how office politics work so I probably agree with Shooter that those how complain seeking to improve the product are generally treated alot harsher than those who go along to get along (and usually complain when "the boss" isn't around). Understand, I manage a very large workforce (but don't call me, Chief) and I gravitate towards the "complainers" more so than the "syncophants" but I do recognize that again I'm in the minority there, too. I'm sure that my managers would like to fire me but I have a record of productivity. I do recognize that if that productivity falls below certain levels, retirement will come a lot sooner than planned. So reduced productivity, in this case book sells, opens the door for management action. Unfortunately, thats how it goes. Everybody is expendable if they are no longer usefull. However usefull is defined.

Its sad to see the LSH continue to be mishandled by DC but hope springs eternal. Maybe the next time They will be more patient and nourishing or maybe next time Mark Waid will be brought back in as Designator ReBooter to "work his magic again"...yeesh.

[ November 08, 2008, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: duck458 ]

--------------------
So what.

From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Francis is an amazing artist. In a way it's kind of unfair to pair him with Shooter. The man is such a perfectionist I think a veteran penciller would have worked out better.

It's a catch 22. Use the up and coming dynamic artist or the not so exciting veteran that can execute what Shooter wants better? A veteran with thick skin that can deal with a Shooter.

And there's the part where the editor-in-chief needs to be on the ball. Shooter wrote the entire story, it sounds like, and had already worked the visuals out in his head *before he had worked with the artist.*

It's supposed to be collaborative, and, when working with an artist with a certain strength, the writer should be mapping out scenes to play to that strength. It's not supposed to be, 'I decided what you'll be doing. Start drawing, monkey-boy.'

I think Shooter's got so much experience in the field that he needs to be paired up with someone who will get in his face and add more of his own aesthetic to the mix, and not just get handed a sheaf of notes of *exactly* what he's supposed to do like a homework assignment from the man who is supposed to be his creative partner.

That's an Editor-in-Chief call, to pair up creative teams that can work well together, and who are well-matched. This was a failure right at the top, IMO.

[And this is hardly a Shooter-specific ailment, the whole writer-dictating-scene thing. I weep for the dudes who have to draw for Bendis. 'Oh, rapture and glee! Another nine-panel page of people sitting around a table talking about the Scarlet Witch! How can I contain the raw seething energy that will leap off of this page?']

I agree 100% Set. DC wanted a hot young artist yet Shooter from his interview needed Dave Gibbons. It's like when you see a veteran salty coach coaching a young talented exciting team.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.