Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Suggestions... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Suggestions...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Just wanted to suggest putting a link to the Legion Help file in the Encylopedia Galactica section.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And a good suggestion it is. The link is now available.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Guys, I know you have the Legion Help File Link, but what about a topic in the EG that solely lists the major and minor Legion characters. I think it would excellent help for Poll creations, as well as for other uses and general easy reference.

With a Legion of characters, it seems something to consider.

The recently mentioned index from WWLSH #7 would be a good start, but of course some additions would be helpful for new characters since 1988. Also as I mentioned, the WWLSH index didn't have Nardo, and I don't know if that was an oversight or a decision to leave a certain number of identified characters. I inclinded to think it's an oversight, since some less significant characters are included, but...

I don't think a major project is necessary. Simply if you have extant lists that can be organized into one, it would be good to have an EG topic of just character names.

I'm creating a Poll and thus am currently aware of the utility of such a character topic.

If it's more than a little job, don't bother, as I sure you've got quite a lot on your plate already!

[Chameleon Boy]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
NC, I just saw your WWLSH index post on LW forum. THANX!

I've already gone thru my WWLSH #7 index in prep of my index, but your posted list is a helluva lot easier to read. I'll recheck with your list.

BTW, my Poll will be damn fun. Damn. Fun.

[Chameleon Boy]

Damn.

Fun.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Just thinking out loud, but what about having a section just for polls? I only ask because in the "Legion" forum, there are currently 6 headlined threads, 3 of which are polls. Now, depending on your screen resolution, those six headlines either fill the screen or half the screen, which means that to see the other new or updated threads you have to scroll down to find them. If the polls were in a different section, it might make that a little easier (in this case it would be three less headlined threads in that particular forum).

Not a biggie, really, but it's just a thought [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Princess I'm working on creating a section just for polls right now. Thanks for caring enough to suggest this and letting us know it'll help you view things better.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
How about a list of the 'official' order of joining?

Actually, it'd have to be 'lists', since there'd be one preboot, one 'altered' preboot and one reboot.

Maybe a list of leaders would be handy, too.

You could go on and on, I suppose.

This is such a great resource, in fact and potential.

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
How about a list of the 'official' order of joining?

Actually, it'd have to be 'lists', since there'd be one preboot, one 'altered' preboot and one reboot.

Maybe a list of leaders would be handy, too.

You could go on and on, I suppose.

This is such a great resource, in fact and potential.

TN

Todd I think I have each of those lists you are asking for. Let me work on it and I'll have something for you this weekend.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Scott! I've already referenced the lists a couple of times.

I appreciate the efforts you and Nightcrawler (Gary) have made here.

Really, it's a great thing you two have done here. Extensive Kharma-points to the both of you.

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: Search Function

I have trouble finding the threads on which I have posted or responses to them. Can a selection for "all forums" be put on the search function and have it look for authors in addition to entire message or subject?

Of course, I'll never see the reply to this thread, because I do not know how to search for my old posts. Kind of a problem for me huh?

Great board, really enjoying my time here.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
BB and everyone else,

If you want to see a list of your recent posts, click on your user name (not "my profile" at the top of the page) at a place that you've posted or where your name appears in the who's online list. There you should see in the upper right of the page "view recent posts." Click on that and voila!

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Notice how I skirted BB's issue. [Wink]

Well, I'm back with the official word from the programmer's of the software we're using:

quote:
UBB.classic includes a simple, built-in search engine that allows your visitors to search through the stored posts. Searching this index is a server-intensive process. Thus, you may decide you do not want to allow your visitors to search at all.
UBB.classic uses index files for the search process. There are two methods that UBB.classic can use to store these index files: either as one large file for all forums, or as separate files for each forum. If you have many forums but not many posts overall, you may want to try the "one index file" approach. If you have forums with many posts, you should try the "index files for each forum" approach. If you ever change your index file approach, you must recreate your index (using the Index feature)- otherwise the index files UBB.classic uses to search will not be accurate, and search results will be erroneous.

Searching through all forums at once can drain your server, though it is convenient for your users. You can elect to turn off the ability to search through all forums at once, if you like. Your users will still be able to search, but only one forum at a time.

And, that's why the search function is set up the way it's set up.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
BB and everyone else,

If you want to see a list of your recent posts, click on your user name

Oh, that works quite nicely thanks. Now I don't have to read your next post, the long one. [Smile]
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Let me paraphrase then...

A full MB search is a bitch on the server and would be too slow to be worth the effort. Forum by forum is the way to go. Or, use that little trick in my previous post.

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Let me paraphrase then...

A full MB search is a bitch on the server and would be too slow to be worth the effort. Forum by forum is the way to go. Or, use that little trick in my previous post.

Ooh sorry, didn't mean to make you reply to my post. I was just saying I was happy with the answer you had provided regarding finding my previous posts and trying to throw in some sarcasm about your following post. Bad BB bad.

Thanks for your help.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.