Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Poll Questions (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Poll Questions
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Esteemed Founders, my Single Fave Legionnaire Poll sems to have stalled at 35 votes for the last few days, so I guess you might as well deflag it. There's none of my remaining Polls that I would pitch as deserving a flag.

Even though I argued against posting-Polls getting a flag, it's only right to suggest first offering the flag to Kid Prime if he would like it for his Poll.

Thanx, guys

[Chameleon Boy]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Said is done. We'll give KP first choice for the next featured topic.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, somebody else decide. I'm planning my wedding. I have to figure out how much barbeque to buy to feed 40 people, order 3 cakes, get balloons and streamers, write my vows, send the readings to the readers, and arrange "Seasons of Love" from "Rent" on my really expensive and awesome keyboard so it can be sung by my best friend Jeremy. Also, I have to pick out all the wine and beer, make sure my friend Amber will be comfortable giving the opening prayer, and I have to decide if I want to give my parents who think Lee and I are an abomination before God an invite.

You pick, Scott. I'll see you all in two weeks. [Big Grin]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good luck with everything Jeff. Hope you have one hell of a bash. As Caroline would say Brightest Blessings to you and your chosen. We love ya! [Love]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Thanks for the welcome back over in PCM, LL. You guys have done a lot of positive changes around here. I thought I'd help give the near-dormant Poll Forum a little more activity.

I mentioned over in LW forum that I believed NC gave me permission to run simultaneous Polls before I retired, but I wasn't sure. I bring this up because I'm considering doing a Poll on members' Top Ten favorite Silver Age Legion stories, but I don't really want to wait until the end of the Census.

So can I get authorization for simultaneous Polls?

[ChameleonBoy]

Lightning Lad
Founder

Go for it Reep. I don't think it'll be a problem and I'd be interested in seeing it.
Reep
Resigned

Thanks, LL. I'll post it sometime today. Perhaps soon.

I don't have other Polls in mind now, but I still should ask if I have ongoing authorization for future simultaneous Polls, or should I check in with you or NC first? I want to be on solid ground when somebody asks, "How come that goddam dickwad Reep gets to do two fuckin' Polls and I only get to do a measly stinkin one?!?!"

I'm part Naltorian, so trust me, that's a verbatim quote.

[ChameleonBoy]

Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't the amount of polls running simultaneously part of the technical problems Legion World was experiencing a while back?

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Hey, LL or NC, can I get a final ruling on me doing future simultaneous Polls? If you want to set a limit on the amount of sim-Polling for me, that's cool. Hopefully at least three sim-Polls. [Big Grin]

Thanks, [ChameleonBoy]

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Reep, I'm sorta on a mini-vacation from the board. I'll be back Tuesday.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

And I'm actually trying to get Caroline's parents settled in and take care of her since she's wrenched her back so I'm not going to be around much at all this week.

So here's my decision, which Gary is more than welcome to change when he gets back.

No more than 2 sim-polls for now. Since we have been experiencing some troubles with the PowWeb server I'd hate to compound them with something we knew caused trouble on the old server.

Sorry Reep. Hope you can live with 2 at a time.

Reep
Resigned

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for responding guys. Well, I had of course hoped for more since I already have several fave story Polls ready to go and was going to ask permission to run the Superboy/Legion and Volume 2 Polls if you hadn't responded by this AM.

Unfortunately, I'm blocked out with the LWC for another week. If you find a way to up my limit I'd appreciate it.

[ChameleonBoy]

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
What I know I haven't seen yet, not argued or even asserted, is any reason why one person should be exempt from the rules that apply to the rest of us. Mere fervor for creating polls is not enough.

It may have been missed that, yes, the number of polls running from all users was one of the major reasons why this message board software became unstable. (Along with the database demand from the "recent visitors" feature and its cache.) That was why Gary set up the one-poll-at-a-time personal limit.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Because my Polls are popular. Several people have stated how much they enjoy them, not only now, but repeatedly over three years.

I believe so far that within just three or four days, four people have asked or suggested Polls for me to do, including Lightning Lad. Even though they themselves have the capability to do Polls, they asked or suggested that I do them. They didn't ask other people to do them. They didn't ask you. They asked me.

By my estimate I've done at least 60 Polls, maybe 100, and many of them have been major efforts like the Legion World Census (of which the current is the third one.) I have run many Most Popular Legionnaires, Villains, Supporting Characters, Writers, Artist, etc. I received appreciation, often strong, on nearly every one.

I doubt that LL increased my limit because of my "ferver." (Hey, LL, did you increase my limit because of "ferver?") I assume it's because of my unmatched experience, proven ability, and enthusiastic popular demand.

You given me a great idea, Grey. Why don't I run a Poll about whether or not I should be limited to one or two Polls at a time? Since you feel my whopping two Poll limit is unjustified, I'm sure you'd like to see a membership vote on the matter.

I absolutely swear to abide by the decision of the majority of the voting membership.

Like I said, since I've already been given permission for two simultaneous Polls, there would be nothing provocative about it. A simple up or down vote whether I should continue to have the privilege,

I think I'll start a discussion topic over at PCM and find out how other people feel about me doing this Poll!

Great idea, Grey!

[ChameleonBoy]

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't care whether someone runs one poll or sixty at once. It's not my call, anyway. All that matters here are these points:

~ As few as eight to ten simultaneous polls have already been enough to seriously endanger the stability of this software.

~ If one person runs five or six polls, most others are thus effectively excluded from doing so at all.

~ If a limit is imposed on each member, to avoid such breakdowns, that means all members, if it is to be fair -- with only demonstrated cause for making exceptions. Not simply because one "wants to."

~ Neither of the founders appear to be in the "market" for a full-time poll-taker -- and it's Scott's and Gary's clubhouse.

~ It's no one's place to say one will "abide by the vote of the membership" when the matter has not even been put forward by the founders for such a vote.

[ November 17, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.