Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Moderators (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Moderators
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stu:
I think being a moderator would be fun...

Everything's fun until it bites a chunk of your ass off....

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
quote:
Originally posted by Stu:
I think being a moderator would be fun...

Everything's fun until it bites a chunk of your ass off....
There'll be no ass-biting in this forum, no sir.*

*Not unless specifically requested, that is.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Some of you may notice that we have moderators now. Those individuals have been drafted by me with Scott's consent. I have a few others who I'd like to give the title to as well, but for various reasons have decided not to.

I believe that we will still hold elections as most of the forums will have three advisors assigned to it. It's only a matter of time.  -

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So what can moderators do?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
  • Headline topics that they think should be headlined.
  • Delete duplicate topics.
  • Edit or delete excessive dupliclate posts.
  • Move any topic that seems totally unappropriate from their forum to the appropriate one.
  • Close topics that get out of hand, such as legitimate flame wars and such.
  • Remove any obvious spam from their forum.
  • Help any newbies out with features or problems while the founders are away.
  • Keep the founders aware of any questionable activities by the posters in their forums.
  • Just be the nice and wonderful posters that we know and love you as. [Smile]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
  • Keep the founders aware of any questionable activities by the posters in their forums.

You mean as opposed to the usual questionable activities? [Wink]
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Some of you may notice that we have moderators now.

Just curious -- how would anyone notice that? Is there a list or something?
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
quote:
Some of you may notice that we have moderators now.

Just curious -- how would anyone notice that? Is there a list or something?
At the top of each forum it says "Moderated by:" and the name of the moderator. Take a look in the General Comic Books forum, upper left hand corner.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott and I haven't had to moderate much of anything around here. You guys can think of this as a useless title and don't worry too much about it. [Wink]

I'm just trying to make up for the 30% post count loss you'll all be experiencing soon. [Evil]

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Gee, thanks so much! Now I know what Tenzil felt like. Well. all I can say is I hope I don't have to do a thing. Here's hoping!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm sorry, but I find this development both disorienting and confusing.

The thread thus far had suggested strongly that you were going to have moderator elections. And now, you've decided to appoint them instead, but you'll still have elections?

I don't see much point in trying to do both. The entirely reasonable assumption in any election, now, is that you the founders are asking that the mods you've already chosen be elected. Or that you're saying, at least, that the two of you prefer these people to serve. Many voters will defer to your apparent wishes, simply out of the esteem we have for you. This, ironically, in turn makes an election rather pointless.

If you're choosing mods on talent, or friendship, or evident personality, or any other reason, that's always been your prerogative, and ought to be. And it's probably more useful, from what I've seen, in running a forum of this size.

If appointing moderators is how you want to do it, though, I would urge that you stick with it -- now that you've started to do so -- and not hold out the possibility of elections. That mixes up too many considerations, on the part of the founders (or on what's presumed of your motives) and on the part of the potential voters.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, since you want me to elaborate a bit, here goes. This is in no way scientific. It basically comes down to a feeling I was having today. Like something bad was going to happen and neither Scott nor I would be here to help deal with it.

Sure enough, my computer crashed just as I was trying to discuss the moderator topic with Scott today. I was offline for several hours trying to get my computer to boot up for more than 5 seconds.

I'm an atheist, so I normally don't believe in omens. But, this one got me thinking and the result is a few posters were made advisors. The list of candidates is about as large as the number of posters here. Why some people weren't chosen and others were is about as scientific as the reason for the change in policy.

I still like the idea of some sort of election for the empty slots, but maybe we will or maybe we won't, I guess we'll find out together.

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think there is anything wrong with appointing moderators, if only for the time being. As you said, your computer problems this weekend simply reinforced the need to have backups in place in case you were unable to be here. However, that doesn't mean that the people who are now moderators can't be replaced when or if you decide to have elections. They are simply there to fill the need until something different can be done.

Besides which, I really don't think there will be much that the moderators will have to do. We have a fairly responsible group of posters here, and I think that they will more or less moderate themselves. The most I see us doing is, as you say, deleting duplicate posts if someone asks or something along those lines.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Well I suppose we could have dressed up the appointments in the veil of an election. Worked for the US' first election.

I'd vote for

Princess Crujectra, Kid Prime
Arachne, Eryk Davis Ester
He Who Wanders
Omni Craig
Outdoor Miner, Varalent
Mystery Lad
SteveLightle
no one
DrakeB3003

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Works for me, so long as I get to hang out with Kid Prime. He has the most interesting toys [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.