Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Moderators (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Moderators
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

Sure enough, my computer crashed just as I was trying to discuss the moderator topic with Scott today. I was offline for several hours trying to get my computer to boot up for more than 5 seconds.

You didn't crash, you've got a worm. We've been taking calls on this crap hot 'n heavy since about 3pm.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

Sure enough, my computer crashed just as I was trying to discuss the moderator topic with Scott today. I was offline for several hours trying to get my computer to boot up for more than 5 seconds.

You didn't crash, you've got a worm. We've been taking calls on this crap hot 'n heavy since about 3pm.
You too? I posted this on another thread, but I had that "RPC service terminated unexpectedly" thing then my computer has to reboot itself. The tech guy I called had me d/l something and so far, so good. He also told me he'd been flooded with calls today, but this has actually happened twice before the past couple days. Then today it was constant.

I'm sure you're busy explaining this all day PB, but when you have time can you let us know what this worm is and what happened? (assuming you or anyone even has a clue)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I was getting it too when I got home tonight. I was getting the RPC error, and I managed to stay on the computer long enough to look it up in the help topics. I said it had something to do with a problem connecting with the host to check for new emails. So, I called my provider's support team, and got a recording that this was a Windows problem, and they gave me the link on my ISP's site to tell me how to fix the problem. I think it has something to do with firewalls.

Basically, I had to go into Control Panel and select Network and Internet Connection Wizard. Then I had to click the link to Setup or Change my connection. Then I just had to set it up that my computer connected directly to the internet, and select which setup included my modem. Now, don't quote me on this, cuz I THINK that's all I had to do, but I'm not for sure. My advice if you're having this problem is to call your internet service provider and ask for direction.

Knock wood, it seems to be working so far, but I'll tell ya it made me nervous because I know NOTHING about computers, and I'm always scared to death that I'm going to do something wrong and mess up the computer more.

I hope this fixed it... [Frown]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Princess, there's a patch available for download that will prevent your system from being corrupted. If you haven't gotten it yet, please do. The URL is over on Sanity's thread about this topic.

Oh, and you can play with my toys anytime. Just take good care of them. [Big Grin]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
I'm sure you're busy explaining this all day PB, but when you have time can you let us know what this worm is and what happened? (assuming you or anyone even has a clue)

Before I left work my explaining was mostly of the variety of "it is a known issue effecting your Windows operating syste, and our technitions are working on a resolution."

Which, of course, was tech support code for "Dude, it's not a problem with our service so quite yelling at me and oh, by the way, if you freaks would stop calling I could get back to me websurfing and Legion World posting." [Big Grin]

Info Here

.... and here

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

And here is the Dept. of Homeland Security Warning from July 30th that none of us knew about.... D'OH!
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
While I'm happy my OS (Windows Me) apparently is unaffected by this, I haveta ask-- does anybody know why?

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why NT, 2000 and XP, but not Me-- which I thought was derived from Win2000? [Confused]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Lad:
While I'm happy my OS (Windows Me) apparently is unaffected by this, I haveta ask-- does anybody know why?

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why NT, 2000 and XP, but not Me-- which I thought was derived from Win2000? [Confused]

ME's basically 98 with direct access to DOS ripped out (its still at the OS core). NT, which 2000 and XP are based on (2000's NT5, XP's NT5.1) isn't DOS-based at all.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Cool, thanks. G'night, SoM ! [Invisible Kid]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp
Above is the windows patch that fixes the flaw which allows the Blaster worm.

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html
Above is the URL to a removal tool once you have been infected.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11
Above is a sans summary of the Worm...

Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Somehow I've now become an advisor on Mission Monitor Board as well.

And this time I didn't even have to give up any salacious secrets in exchange!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.