Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Alternate ID's! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Alternate ID's!
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
We have recently begun restricting new registrations. That means Scott and I need to verify the person registering and it takes time out of our lives to do so.

So we've decided to place a moratorium on registering Alt ID's. This will be in effect until either Lightning Lad or I say otherwise. If you need to post, please do so as yourself. If you've gotten a legitimate friend to join, it would be nice if you could e-mail me using your registered e-mail address to inform me of it. It saves everyone a lot of time.

I've just approved the last of the Alt Id's for the board. However I do have a slot to fill. The member who absolutely has to have an Alt ID and gives me a good enough reason for it can have that remaining slot. You'll need to give me a log in name and a valid e-mail address that's different from your previously registered e-mail. With that information, I can set it up and e-mail you your temporary password.

Sorry but this is the way it'll be for awhile. Thanks for playing. [Smile]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
That's probably not a bad idea, Gary. I have certainly played with my name quite a bit lately, but it was always fairly obvious who I was. It does seem like we've been overrun lately by a crowd of what seem to be alternate IDs. I have no problem with Alt IDs in theory, but too many at once just seems to make things a little confusing.

Besides, lately the topics on especially the MMB have been fairly confusing. It's like an old LMBP story thread that's exploded across the entire board. I can't figure out what the heck is going on anymore [Confused]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Gary. Things were getting too confusing around here. At least, for the most part, it's been done in fun and not to maliciously confuse or deceive other posters. But i can see how this could become non-newbie firendly really fast. At least we can always trust in reliable posters like Winema Wazzo, Emerald Empress, and Space Ranger not to resort to silly tactics such as alt ID's.

By the way - do you have a problem with people changing their screen name, or do you see any potential problems with that in the future?

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't have a problem with anyone changing their username that's why I've kept that feature in. I also don't have a problem with Alt IDs in general.

It's the fact that I or Scott have to check everyone who registers and most of the time it turns out to be someone already here and it's becoming a waste of time and an annoyance. Unless that poster has come to us and said "this is me." Right now I think everybody here should have enough IDs to suit their needs and if you want to be somebody else, change your user name. Thanks. [Smile]

[ September 19, 2003, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm actually glad the Alt. IDs have officially been restricted! I figured they were when approval of memberships here became the norm, that's why the flurry of new alt. IDs surprised me so much!

I think it's more fun to change your username to reflect changes in your life and thanks to Crujectra for the idea. What a trendsetter!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
A perhaps unintended benefit of this is that there won't be a rush on the board to get that Alt-ID for Member #247.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've actually wondered if the recent flurry of alt-IDs wasn't in part connected to the upcoming #247 mark.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Some of the threads running with the alt-id's have been fun to read (though i do get lost a bit if I can/should play).

I wish the editing of user names/avatars didn't propagate to all posts because that messes up some of the stories being created by the alt-id'ers. Is there a way to stop that?

Too bad you can't lottery off #247 for charity. That'd be difficult to do I suppose.

Well, mostly, I just wanted to post to let you know are great your board is.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH Lass:
I'm actually glad the Alt. IDs have officially been restricted! I figured they were when approval of memberships here became the norm, that's why the flurry of new alt. IDs surprised me so much!

I think it's more fun to change your username to reflect changes in your life and thanks to Crujectra for the idea. What a trendsetter!!!

There's a reason why we voted her our first leader!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Too bad you can't lottery off #247 for charity. That'd be difficult to do I suppose.

'Course they could (provided anyone would bid). They could register 247 themselves (and if any alt IDer got it before them, a little judicious editing of the member lists would bump them to 248), then auction of the right to be 247.

As I said though, this would require people willing to pay for the right...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Ranger
Private Dick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Space Ranger   Email Space Ranger         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Some of the threads running with the alt-id's have been fun to read (though i do get lost a bit if I can/should play).

I wish the editing of user names/avatars didn't propagate to all posts because that messes up some of the stories being created by the alt-id'ers. Is there a way to stop that?

Well, mostly, I just wanted to post to let you know are great your board is.

Sentient, Point by Point MY (Highly uonofficial) answers:

1. You Can and should, the more the merrier. any confusion in the story can always be retconned - If anyone really cares.(GASP!!!)

2. To those of us who don't particularly care about post counts, the fact that an altID does not change when you change personalities is the most appealing factor. Dancing numbers are fun, but not the major reason for posting.

3. Great Idea, Something could be worked out, considering the number of lawyers and space-lawyers who post here.

4. Ditto and doubled (Both ID's Concur)

Truth and Justice shall Squish the Fish!!!

[ September 20, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Space Ranger ]

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Just as soon as the Check Clears!)

From: The Back Office in Abin's Fixit Shop. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
 -
Comic Addict Lad
Paragon City Protector

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comic Addict Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Comic Addict Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
ummmm this might be a stupid question but....why is member #247 so important?

--------------------
ICQ Work 8642753 | MSN: stueyross@hotmail.com | Email : stu@shadowsrest.com

From: Somewhere in the 30th Century | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
ADVENTURE COMICS #247 was the first appearance of the Legion.
Comic Addict Lad
Paragon City Protector

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comic Addict Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Comic Addict Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
wow and I thought *I* was fanatical!!! [Smile]

--------------------
ICQ Work 8642753 | MSN: stueyross@hotmail.com | Email : stu@shadowsrest.com

From: Somewhere in the 30th Century | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.