Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Thor, the God of Thunder (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Thor, the God of Thunder
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Another common 'buddy' of Thor is Baldar, but it's probably for the best that they left him out of the movie, as it was already kind of packed with characters that didn't really have room for much in the way of introduction.
You got to save something for the sequels, since Baldar pretty much has two roles and one of them involves dying. Baldar is pretty much the god of light and beauty in the mythology, and many have wondered why he doesn't have some sort of light powers in the comics. In any case, he seems to be the brother that Thor doesn't like lately.

I recommend Godchecker for brief references.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Emily Sivana:
Baldar is pretty much the god of light and beauty in the mythology, and many have wondered why he doesn't have some sort of light powers in the comics.

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw Thor today. My thought "Meh". I thought Hemsworth did a very good job. Portman not a good job at all.

The special effect were good, but just more of the same stuff we see in all these action movies. I did see it in IMAX 3-D. Some of the title work made me think "I hope no one in the theater has epilepsy"

For me it is always all about the story. We all know the basic story of Odin sending Thor to Earth to learn humility and be less arrogant. But I didn't see where in the movie Thor learned humility. Was it Click Here For A Spoilerwhen he was captured by SHIELD or Click Here For A Spoiler when Jane told him to stop breaking the dishes? I would have had more time in the film showing Thor on Earth learning to put others ahead of himself.

And I didn't buy Thor falling in love with Jane. I can see why she fell for him Click Here For A Spoilerhe comes to Earth through the phenomenon that she has been studying for years and he is ruggedly handsome. While for Thor Click Here For A Spoiler she is a lower lifeform that he just met. She isn't particularly attractive. She isn't ugly, but as has been said here Sif looked a whole lot better. All she did for him was give him a fresh set of clothing, a meal, and a ride to his hammer. Hardly the makings of a great romance. At least in the comics, Thor had gotten to know Jane Foster for years, albeit as Don Blake.

I did think they got the Characters of Loki & Odin spot on. And Loki's powers were shown very well and in a natural way. Loki's motivation was handled well too. I think that they didn't explain Click Here For A Spoiler the Odinsleep properly. A quick set-up scene where Odin explains to the young Thor & Loki about the Odinsleep as he is about to go into one would have made the scene of Odin's collapse a little more understandable And I thought the use of the Destroyer was very well done.

I don't regret going to see it, especially on the big screen in IMAX 3-D. But it did not leave me wanting to see Thor 2.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
and what about the Avengers movie? as I understand, there was an "Easter egg" at the end of the movie - as Tony Stark showed up and offered him a membership with the Avengers.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The 'easter egg' shown at our theatre was one of the secondary characters for the movie working with Sam Jackson/Nick Fury on a 'potentially unlimited power source' Click Here For A Spoiler(that looked a bit Cosmic Cube-like), and a shot of someone sinister Click Here For A Spoiler(Loki) spying on them.

It suggested a tie-in through the Captain America movie, this movie, and the upcoming Avengers movie.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
oh theh I must have heard wrong. maybe i m confused on the following movie - Capt America, then Avengers then AntMan (which should be like "Antman and the Wasp")...no it was the recent Hulk movie...me confused!!!!!! argh.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Sigh.
I always loved Balder.
Who drew that, John Buscema?
Nice stuff.

Even in the comics, Thor ended up with Sif.
How could he not?

[ May 09, 2011, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
In the comics, it seems like few, if any, of the Asgardian 'gods' had divine powers, other than being really strong and tough and long-lived.

Even Thor, the 'god of storms,' didn't have a speck of weather control, it all being bound up into a dwarf-forged hammer that Odin empowered with that ability.

It was never stated outright, but particularly in Simonson's run, it felt to me like Odin had stolen the power of the other Asgardians at some early date, and that the 'odin-power' was the collective divine power of the other Asgardians, who would have super-powers of their own, pertaining to their special roles, if he hadn't taken it all for himself.

Of course, there were exceptions. Heimdall's senses. Hermod's speed. Baldar's invulnerability, and, later, light powers.

Of course, comic book translations of various gods have always suffered from the fact that many mythological dieties didn't have intuitively 'super-power-y' domains. Hera's the goddess of laws and marriage. Hestia, of hearth and home. Dionysus, of wine and madness. Gods of storms and fire and whatnot are easy, visually, to picture as comic-book superheroes, but gods of stuff like reading and writing (Thoth) or agriculture (Ceres) take a bit more thinkin.'

Sif's an interesting character because she's so utterly different between myth and comic. Thor's a hammer-wielding stormgod who is a tad full of himself. Loki's a shapeshifting trickster who is good enough at being a cunning toad that he's friends with everyone, despite having stabbed most of them in the back at least once. But Sif? She's 'Thor's wife,' with golden hair, in the myths, and may have some earth goddess / grain goddesss / rowan tree associations, but it's not clear, since he primary role is to get punked by Loki and bear Thor some kids. In the comics, she's a butt-kicking goddess of swordsmanship, and, IMO, ten times more interesting.

Indeed, comic book Sif is more like Athena, a competent warrior and occasionally portrayed as more even-tempered and tactically-minded then the Asgardian 'menfolk' around her.

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anyone else like the "I'm a Marvel, I'm a DC" Youtube videos? The creator did one recently in which Thor humbles Hal Jordan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHI7RS-84k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Interestingly about Sif (to Set's point) is that she was the very first Asgardian in the comics to display a power / ability: the ability to travel through space & time. Kirby had her doing this numerous times (traveling to Earth and back) throughout the Silver Age. After Kirby, the power has been by and large ignored ever since though every so often some writer or artist remembers it and brings it back at just the right moment when its needed (almost like every 10 years).
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
Saw the movie at the weekend and enjoyed it very much especially the scene at the end featuring Walter Simonson which just seemed like a classy thing for Marvel to do.

@Candlelight
If you mean the Balder art on left hand side of Reboots post it is by Sal Buscema not John and is a very strange page indeed as the top two thirds come from the final issue of the Balder the Brave mini series whilst the bottom third comes from a largely unrelated tale in Thor 369

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[QB] Interestingly about Sif (to Set's point) is that she was the very first Asgardian in the comics to display a power / ability: the ability to travel through space & time. Kirby had her doing this numerous times (traveling to Earth and back) throughout the Silver Age.

IIRC, that power was something to do with her sword, and she would swing it in a particular pattern to teleport (presumably with different patterns for different destinations, but it was mostly an Earth-to-Asgard convenience).

That seemed to be a convenience power added to Thor's hammer for awhile, and even the Valkyrie's sword, Dragonfang (although, in the latter case, it was Dr. Strange who gave it that power, again, IIRC).

I don't recall comic-book Sif ever having a specific super-power other than the Asgardian standard powers of super-strength and toughness, and her own 1000 plus years of swordsmanship skill.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've seen thor twice now, it was better the second time, though i thought the easter egg wasn't worth the wait.

it was a kids movie basically, i think they also tried to cram in too much plot to the movies.

not sure what i think about the whole donald blake jane foster story since thor hasn't been donald blake for like 30 years. (im exaggerating but you get my point) all the marvel movies try to do that i guess.

saw the captain america 'the first avenger' trailer, they are really marketing this avenger movie. seems much more like 'the ultimates' movie.

i thought natalie portman was gorgeous and owned the camera.

Thor had some strange prosthesis hair piece on, i dont know why his natural hair wasn't sufficient.

saw the actress that plays the Lady Sif at the comic store this week, there was a signing, she seemed really nice, she's tall, has four brothers (i think) and is from texas. she's also got kinda a deep raspy voice.

i like how they at least attempted to make Loki complicated.

the only thing i really hated was the actor playing Hogun. His accent was ridiculous! They can't find an asian or asian american actor with flawless english?? Bullshit.

He's a japanese actor so i dont know if that was his real accent or if he was told to camp it up. (Maybe they chose him for some reason unknown, like because he's got some sort of studio deal and will be expanding to the US soon and they're promoting him in small parts?) whatever. bleh!

i liked the costumes, special effects were obvious in some places, but otherwise good. flying poses were especially cool. i thought that generic monster at the beginning should've been Ymir. I thought the frost giants looked cool until they reminded me of avatar, and that a whole other story ....

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked Click Here For A Spoilerthe shirtless scene!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
not nearly enough ! is my only criticism of that. [Smile]
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.