Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Stormwatch (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stormwatch
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Hunt, it's a pretty good series. There was even a DC Monitor involved. So Wildstorm is one of the 52 worlds of DC.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt Drouin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt Drouin   Email Hunt Drouin         Edit/Delete Post     
Cool. I think I'll pick up the TPB when it's at my shop.
From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
STORMWATCH # 1

There is a WHOLE lot going on in this book!

I tried to get into THE AUTHORITY once apon a time... came into the book late, got a couple of issues and had NO idea what was going on or who anyone was.

This issue does not have that problem... intros, roles and such are done rather clearly.

I find it rather weird that there is a team that sort-of outranks the Justice League. I'm not sure how well this is going to go over in the DCU as a whole.

For what it is worth, I enjoyed this issue more than JL # 1. The threat is looking like something out of Morrison's JLA.

Artwork reminds me of Mike McKone.

Looks like I'm getting # 2...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
There are a lot of characters here and not a lot of explanation about what's going on. There was some exposition, but I still found myself unclear about the dialogue at the beginning and who a lot of these people were. I wonder if DC thinks of Stormwatch as a much larger "Challengers of the Unknown" type of book - it's part of the DCU, but mostly operates outside of it. None of the characters so far seem interesting to me as there wasn't much room to get to know any of them in any way.

I might get #2, but if it seems like they're going to be too focused on fighting the moon as opposed to exploring character, then I won't be back.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm on board for issue #2... I did feel to an extent as though I was joining a show already in progress, but that sense seemed to go well with the mysterious nature of the team... looking forward to seeing the relationship develop between Midnighter and Apollo...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Until now I have only had the briefest, most passing familiarity with Stormwatch. I’d read some of the original Warren Ellis issues prior to the series becoming the Authority but besides that, I only know them from articles and interviews. For some reason though I was curious about how they’d play into the new DCU, which was probably helped by wanting to see Martian Manhunter’s role, as well as a long time curiosity about Jack Hawksmoor, the Engineer, Apollo & Midnighter. So in an usual turn of events with the DC 52 for me, I’m actually a brand new reader for one of these series.

With very low expectations, I have to say that I found the first issue of the new series to be quite interesting! There was certainly an edge to it and a complexity (in terms of plot, as well as character motivations) that differentiated it from everything else DC is putting out thus far. The characters are all distinct and interesting in their own way, even if one or two of them left me scratching my head about who the hell they are (just who is that Adam dude?). I know some reviewers online gave it more negative reviews, feeling it was a DC-watered down version of the Stormwatch that fans grew to love in the late 90’s; but I thought it did a good job about maintaining a hard “we’re not superheroes” edge since it obviously will not head into the Authority territory (that shit just won’t happen in a universe with Superman and Batman).

Paul Cornell is a writer who, quite honestly, I’ve found very disappointing this last few months. Like Tony Daniel on Detective Comics, he seems to have really stepped his game up here. He paced it perfectly well so each sequence kept me interested in what is happening next and he gave each character a distinct voice. The “evil moon” idea is also very grandiose and over the top which fits into what I was hoping for with this title.

Miguel Sepulveda does a fantastic job on the art as well. The story has a darker tone to help separate it from ‘superhero’ comics but the tone is taken too far afield. He also draws an eerie Martian Manhunter that makes me want to see more of what J’onn will be like here. And perhaps the creepiest thing in comics—Jack Hawksmoor’s weird ass feet (and now hands)—remains as creepy as I remember it.

The curiosity I’ve felt for some of the characters is only more heightened so Cornell did his job in that respect. I’m wondering if the Eminence of Blades was a character prior to this if he was introduced here for the first time?

I also enjoyed the connection to Demon Knights being established immensely. It’s a brief, easter egg continuity moment and that is how I feel all continuity should be for the DCnU for its first 12 months. I see some strong similarities between this new Stormwatch and Marvel’s recent SHIELD in terms of their long history over past centuries and that’s a positive.

Cobie Comparison: Did I enjoy it more than Justice League #1? Yes, I did a bit. It didn’t blow JL out of the water like Action Comics did, but I liked it more.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I really liked Stormwatch #2. The over-the-top ideas and personalities are all very exciting and have me curious to learn more about them. I’m so curious as to whether Adam and Harry are brand new characters. I’ve never heard of either before.

Martian Manhunter is done very well and Cornell wisely gives us only teases of his awesomeness. It’s well played, as is his teases towards the Apollo / Midnighter romance for fans that are dying to see that develop.

Michael Sepulveda & Al Barrioneuevo are really impressive here as well. I could almost sense a George Perez 1980’s influence in the composition and that was a very welcome feeling. The scenes were characters are just talking to each other felt exciting and full of tension, which is largely due to the fine delivery here.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! I loved issue #1 & issue #2 was 100 times better! Great book!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
hmm Issue #3 was pretty allright but as someone who used to follow the Authority ... I think it's been done before in the Authority but bigger and better. and that was many years ago.

What the Authority did (IMHO) was pushed the boundaries. and Stormwatch is not pushin' nuthin' (IMHO)

(Not to mention Squadron Supreme, and Marvel's Ultimates)

Everything is pretty well done, but i find the concept stale.

Martian Manhunter is refreshingly written, and I'm actually a fan of how he's been written in the past two decades. This is the 'Martian War' Martian Manhunter we haven't got to see in a while.

I'm no fan of the media woman ... for lots of reasons ... us in the real world being inundated with nonsense and misinformation being one of them ... and I think UNWRITTEN's take on media is more charming.

Not sure if i'm in for #4.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I have mixed feelings on Stormwatch #3... still feels like I'm joining a show already in progress, which I wouldn't mind so much if the story were more compelling... I'm going to stick around for next issue, hoping things take a turn for the better...

2 fins up

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Like PB, I used to follow Authority, and it was much better than this. I had actually dropped Stormwatch after Issue #2, but #3 showed up in my box and I decided to take it home. I thought #3 finally got around to becoming a half-decent story, and I finally saw some of the characters starting to look like their old selves.

These characters have mind-boggling powers and they have complicated relationships with each other and the world. We're being shown some of that without knowing any of the background, and even for me it's just too confusing to be interesting.

If I hadn't inadvertently gotten #3, I wouldn't have picked up Stormwatch after #2. I may give #4 a look, but the book has a long way to go to earn my longterm interest. There are too many better books out now.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Another Authority fan here, albeit a latecomer, and only of the Ellis issues (don't like Millar or Peyer.)

I almost bought #3 today after missing #1 and #2, but I decided to wait for the trade. Cornell has big shoes to fill, and given how the only other book of his I've read (Captain Britain and MI15) failed to sustain my long-term interest after a promising start, I'm treading carefully here.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I just read # 2 last night and feel compelled to continue; still fascinated about all this now being in the DCU... and how they frame the poor Fox-guy villain for stuff happening on the moon, that was hilarious!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So with issue #6 wrapping up the first 'arc', I've got to say that I'm pretty hooked for what's coming next. I really like the way its played out and if the tone / scope of the series remains the same, I'll definitely be looking forward to more.

I also really like the characters we've seen thus far (and I'm one of those who are unfamiliar with Stormwatch and the Authority prior to this). Apollo, Midnighter, Jack Hawksmoore and the Engineer are all fascinating. Martian Manhunter seems to work seamlessly with them. The only one who could really use a little more screen time / development is Jenny, who I know is vastly important to the mythos of Stormwatch though I can't really say why.

The new characters (Harry, Adam, Projectionist) were also a nice touch. Having them be a part of the team from before #1 takes place and then seeing them taken off the team is a nice touch that adds an element of being in on the ground floor while also nodding towards a tremendous back story.

In a weird twist, I think Stormwatch (and possibly Teen Titans) might actually be the two best of all DC's team titles right now.

Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
This book just rocks!
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.