Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Stormwatch (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stormwatch
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm definitely onboard following # 6. Really enjoying it a bunch. Maybe because I have next-to-zero experience with THE AUTHORITY.

Whatever the case, STORMWATCH is doing "it" for me, for now.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished #7 & loved it.
Especially the bit with Jack talking to the 3 cities.

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
That scene was wonderful. Hopefully, that'll be an ongoing 'thing'. I like the abstract nature of some of the character's abilities. I'm not sure I accept J'onn as a Watcher, yet-- and I'm pretty uncomfortable with Apollo and Midnighter as the gay adult heroes of record in this DCU.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The Jenkins' two-parter accomplished one major thing for me: making me like Jenny Quantum for the first time. She was the only character that I still wasn't all that into.

This is the very likely candidate for the best DC team comic, though Teen Titans is also a candidate. The other dozen or so are pretty crap, but these two space-rawk.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
The Authority was one of the first comics Alan introduced me to and I remember how violent and counter culture it seemed at the time. Didn't they take over the USA at one point, stop war in Chechnya and such like? I'll get the trade of this when it comes out.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I read 7-9 today... STORMWATCH is right up there with AQUAMAN as best DCnU title.

Do I "get" everything I am reading? Umm, not really. But it doesn't matter... because of:

Inter-team betrayals!

Constantly changing memberships!

Inter-team Romance!

Inter-team bickering!

Space-pathos!

Occasional humor!

This comic is like a 1970s comic writtten in 2012!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Just bought 7 and 8 and really enjoyed them. The only. Complaint I have is Midnighters costume. Characters were great, art was good, 'villains' were exactly what I'd expect- weird and fabulous. I think my favourite part was the Engineer have a clash of wills with the Carrier, not at all like the Authority. Does it still look like a giant dogs nose?

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Just read 10, the art was messy- didn't like it.

--------------------

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I started picking this up because I really like Milligan, but I'm having a hard time getting into it. I appreciate how he's throwing out interesting ideas while moving all the subplots along, but I just don't find the characters likable. Now, I hated the Authority when they became the fascist thugs they were trying to prevent, but that was part of the point. Here, where we're supposed to get behind them (so far), I just haven't been able to find an "in" with any of them.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
I never read any of the Authority stuff, so I don't have any preconceptions about Stormwatch. So far I'm liking the series in its current incarnation, especially the scenes with the God of Cities interacting with other cities such as Hiroshima and Nagasaki, not to mention Chernobyl. I don't recall ever running across the concept of sentient cities before, either in comics or any other type of literature. Also I'm looking forward to eventually finding out J'onn's backstory in the current continuity (hopefully he'll get one before they do another reboot).

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

STORMWATCH 11 was magnificent. Any other writer would have given us a full arc of neanderthal Stormwatch but Milligan surprises. (Also I kinda DO want an arc of neanderthal Sotrmwatch now!!)

Still one of my current top draws to comics.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Stormwatch goes from strength to strength - great characters, non-stop excitement and clever plots. This is my favourite comic at the moment.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Issue 12 kicked more ass!!! It was, dare I say it: FAB-YOO-LOSA!!!

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up Stormwatch #0 on a lark (I grabbed a few of the zero issues, just to see if I would be interested in the main title).

Jenny Freedom could be my new favorite character that I'll never see again!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
#13 was a good issue. Etrigan was creepy and intimidating, and the setup was handled well, as were Midnighter and Apollo. I think Milligan might finally be hitting his stride here.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.