Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Booster Gold - Giff & DeMatteis w/ Batista! (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Booster Gold - Giff & DeMatteis w/ Batista!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I am reaLLLLLy looking forward to it now!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Read 32. LOVED IT.

A definite keep after the price hike based on this issue.

Batista's art was of course great.

The Emerald Empress... SO vicious. I was actually surprised by HOW vicious.

I'm curious about the little girl, I am sure she will bring comic relief... she certainly did this issue.

This story actually gave added depth to a segment of the Great Darkness saga that wasn't touched on as much as it could have been.

And I got at least 3 LOL moments out of it.

I'm back onboard without reservations.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

One other thing I think is important to note about BG 32, and (IMO) the Giffen/Dematteis team in general-- this ain't no read in 5 minutes comic. They have always excelled in providing more bang for the buck dialoguewise.

--------------------

SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I did think the girl having to go to the bathroom bit though was a bit of a yawner though—like when a comedian bombs and you hear crickets in the audience.

agreed ... I'm curious where they go with BG being a 'daddy,' but the whole "I gotta poop!" rant made me groan ...

loved the portrayal of the Emerald Empress as a real psycho ...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved the portrayal of the Empress as well. She is an out and out A class villain with or without the eye.

One thing slightly grated on me and that was for what was a pretty serious subject, the humour seemed out of pace and forced. We have a story involving planetary destruction, a mad “new God” and daxamites on the rampage, we have a psychopathic killer who murders survivors for no real reason other than she wants to, leading to a character becoming so traumatised by what she has seen that she kills herself. And into all this we get poop jokes???

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'll agree its a very fine line... but this is a little girl and Booster Gold here.

It worked a lot better for me than it did for others.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
"I gotta poop too!"
[ROTFLMAO]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
"Heeey... did you just pee on me?"

"Maybe a little."

I admit, while overall the potty humor was iffy, that exchange made me [chuckle]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I look at it this way, without her nd the potty humor, this book could have easily been massively depressing.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Agreed; we're on the same wavelength Dev.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=35823

I'm gonna get the next issue. Preview is good, and I loove that kid. "Boppy" = Bwahahahahahaha

Dev - Em
KIA

Read #33, and really liked it. Nice to see Booster standing up for himself and his former JLI teammates.

The whole ridicule thing for that team is growing old though, and I hope they leave it behind for good soon.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Read the second issue of the Giffen & DeMatteis run and I enjoyed it a bit more than the first though I see its not really that different. I liked seeing Booster return to the JLI glory days which we all knew was going to happen sooner or later. I feel both relief that it was lightly entertaining and didn't drag and also glad to get it out of the way. That era is one of my favorites so I fear the 'can't go home again' syndrome.

What I found especially nice was Giff & DeMatt focused on the fact that Max Lord was once a likable guy and good friend to the JLIers. It's something no one brings up anymore and I had begun to think DC simply said Max was always a bastard, he just hid it well. Here, it felt like perhaps that wasn't the case. I'd prefer if it wasn't and that Max became that way because of misguided intentions. We haven't seen that in Generation Lost yet and I've complained a few times that I simply don't give a shit about Max Lord anyjmore, and that is mainly because the Max that killed Ted Kord is not someone I want to read about. But if they start focusing on how Max used to be and a reason for the shift, then that's another story.

I also love the way Giff & DeMatt are writing Skeets. That's a lot of fun.

Glad to see continued focus on how heroic Booster is these days compared to then. He's come a long way through 52 and his own series.

And of course, Batista's art deserves a post of its own but there isn't much to say I haven't already said elsewhere. I like it quite a bit and he's better than ever. He's also shown a knack for drawing great facial expressions just like Giff/DeMatt's other partner in crime, Kevin MaGuire does so well.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

33 rocked. I think I am going to really enojy this run and hope it lasts a nice long while.

--------------------

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Rani was -much- more bearable this ish... between drawing on Rip's blackboard and picking up Booster's cussing, she was alot cuter than last issue's Potty Girl.

Booster going up one side and down the other on Cyborg over his disdain for the JLI team was beautiful. [Yes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.