Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Booster Gold - Giff & DeMatteis w/ Batista! (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Booster Gold - Giff & DeMatteis w/ Batista!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
34 ROCKED!!!

Not only does it contain several pages of Giffen art, but it's also a story starring Blue, Gold, Barda and Mr. Miracle.

It was love.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I guess this is as good a place as any to talk about Vanishing Point: Timemasters, which is essentially a continuation of Dan Jurgen’s Booster Gold series, which I personally loved. We get to see Jurgens keep his characterization and larger story of Rip, Booster and their cast going, while adding his favorites Superman and Green Lantern to the mix. (Interestingly, while Dan has never been an artist on GL for an extended period of time that I can remember, he’s drawn Green Lanterns in an enormous amount of his Superman and JLA stories).

I’m finding the artwork by Jurgens to be pure pleasure to look at. He’s really come back full circle and is doing the best stuff of his career.

The plotline I think is really fun and interesting, while serving as a nice supplement to both the Return of Bruce Wayne story and the Booster Gold comic. I’m incredibly fascinated by Rip Hunter and glimpses of his origin and history are very welcome. I was also glad to see Goldstar as well as the Despero / Per Degaton team-up.

I’m also putting my theory out there now on Supernova: here he is a young Rip Hunter in his days between being trained by an older Booster and becoming the Time Master we know him as now.

I'll be catching up on Booster's own comic in the coming weeks...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The latest story-arc, with Booster back in time hanging with Blue Beetle, Mr. Miracle and Big Barda has been...surprisingly, pretty fun! Whereas the first few issues of Giff & DeMatt's run were enjoyable but left me with a few worries, I've found this arc to be worry-free and just an all around great read. The major reasons? (A) It is actually pretty hilarious in places and (B) every scene with the four of them has a lot of heart. I think the writers have found a great balance in providing the 'fun romp' type comic they want to do while keeping with the type of character Booster is these days.

I like the idea of Booster and Ted having had numerous un-chronicled adventures where Booster went back and time to hang with Ted. Like of like a buddy version of the Time Traveler's Wife.

Anyone else wondering if this planet they're on is Sorcerer's World? The Queen sure looks a lot like Mysa.

I am wondering if there is a little trouble on Batista's part to keep the schedule. Giffen pinched in one issue and then Pat Oliffe the next. I like both's art quite a bit so it didn't distract but I'd rather get a complete Batista story.

Above all else, this story is making me miss Mr. Miracle.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm curious about that "Ted Kord - Chipmunk" thing.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Issue #36 was good. Beetle is a chipmunk. Booster takes a side trip to JLI:GL during the issue. Nice use of showing us how this all fits together.

Loving this book. I lived it under Johns, Jurgens and now Giffen. Skeets is the best "straight man" in comics.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

36: missed Batista's art a bit but who can complain about Oliffe??

It was yet another winner.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

37 kicked mucho ass, as usual!

Estrogina was a trip and a half.

Long live the Giffen/DeMatteis team! Oh and that Batista guy? MmmmHmmm. That.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I really liked how in #37 Booster left the action to quickly visit Ted in Ted's future to make sure everything ends okay; it showcased the enjoyable complicity of tine-travel while also showing Booster finally having enough and "cheating" a little to check. Great moment!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I forgot to comment after 38 but I remember enjoying it too...

General Glory and Ernie? That was win. Or in Ernie's case, whine.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I read Booster Gold 39 last night. I'd classify it as the best issue yet of the current Giffen/DeMatteis/Batista run!

This issue is pretty light on action, and in this case, that's a good thing. After the multi-issue adventure in the past with the JLI-era Ted Kord, Booster takes a moment to reflect on his friend and the fresh hurt he still feels over it. This message is delivered in fine manner by the terrific Batista cover of Booster at Ted's grave as a spectral image of Booster and Beetle lies in the background.

Now, we've had at least two other "catharsis"-type stories in the current Booster series alone where he deals with Ted's passing, the end of Johns' run and the conclusion of the Blackest Night crossover. But this one really hits the mark and feels naturally placed in the wake of the just-concluded multi-parter and with Booster's ongoing struggles with Max Lord with the outcast JLIers. The scene where Booster just lets go with a scream and then tears up is just perfect.

I think Giff and DeMatteis are showing the potential here to put together an even better run than either Johns or Jurgens did. Here, other than some banter with Skeets, they subsume all the goofy antics and just tell a heartfelt story that really shows they understand how far Booster has come in recent years. Anyone who was afraid G&D would throw away all that development can rest assured. I suppose, though, that if you have no real affinity for Blue and Gold that this issue wouldn't resonate as much.

I like especially how Booster's confrontation with a wannabe Robin Hood escalates to the cathartic moment. It starts out as a funny back-and-forth between the two until Booster's feelings turn it into something else.

Chris Batista's art here really reminds me of Chris Sprouse's art more than it has before. That's meant to be a compliment mostly, but both artists share a problem in really conveying drama and emotion. In an issue like this one, that aspect was definitely missed. I know that if Jurgens had drawn the issue, for example, he really would have nailed those aspects. But generally Batista is perfect for this, a generally light and fast-paced book. This issue's more emotional core highlighted his weaknesses with such material.

If I'm reading this right, the story is meant to put Beetle to rest once and for all, so that Booster can go forward. If that's so, I'm surprisingly okay with it. The issue shows that Beetle will always live on as long as Booster does. As long as Booster continues to survive, so will Ted. After an issue like this, Ted returning at some point would seem cheap. Hopefully, DC will stick to their guns for once. Ted's death was meaningful and the repercussions have been very powerful. Ironic that Ted's role in the DCU had diminished so greatly before he was killed when he has become so resonant in the aftermath.

The ending with the gravestone persisting through the ages was absolutely perfect!

Lardy's rating for Booster Gold #39: 4.5 donuts (out of five)!

[ January 02, 2011, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Chief Lardy ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Lardy, I just read this issue as well, and absolutely loved it. You hit on all the main reasons...I will say that I felt Booster scream (it kinda reminded me of the Superman scream during Crisis on Infinite Earths),and it took me by surprise. Wasn't really expecting an issue like this based on what we had seen with the creative team, and am that much more impressed by it because of that fact.

The only other thing I'll tousch on was the fact that it's implied that Booster keeps Ted's final resting place intact to the apparant end of time.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Definitely felt the scream as well, AB. Also loved how the lecture to the would-be Robin Hood transitioned suddenly into one with Ted.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I have yet to read this particular issue, but count me in as someone who is really enjoying this creative team's run on Booster Gold.

Lardy, you hit on the most important part, that the creative team is not relying on just humor, but also give us a series with some real heart to it (not to mention, lots of excitement and action). They've had a good balance on hitting all the right notes.

I have to say, from Johns to Jurgen to the current guys, every creator who has touched Booster's series has done an excellent job. Booster Gold has consistently been one of comicdom's best superhero series for a few years now.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Do you own the issue yet, Cobie? If so, hurry up and read it! I'm dying to hear how much you totally agree with my review! [Big Grin]

Seriously, I'm curious to see what you think! I personally think it may have been the best issue of any comic I've read recently, up there with Chew 15, anyway.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Caught up on Booster Gold #38 & #39 last night, after I put it towards the front of my reading pile because of Lardy’s review (see LW—a solid review may garner some efforts in others to respond!).

Booster Gold #38 was a WWII story in which Booster met back up with General Glory from the Justice League International run. Personally, I always thought General Glory was more annoying than funny, but for some reason, I find the whole Ernie shtick to be hilarious. I’ll admit when I saw the General my immediate thought was “ooooh boy…” (not in a good way) but I actually found the issue to be quite hilarious! So much of it comes from Skeets & Booster’s interaction, which is done wonderfully by G&D.

Following that, Booster #39 is the above-referenced story Lardy mentions in which Booster deals with the pain of having just had an adventure with Blue Beetle and then returning to the present and recognizing he is dead. I expected it to be good—but wow, I didn’t realize how powerful it would be! What really nails the issue is the way the emotions build up throughout the course of the first 20 pages or so—it’s masterfully done! Things start off with some subplots, humor, science, etc., and quickly move to Booster getting out on his own. From panel #1 it’s all very subtly leading towards Booster’s emotional moment towards the end, but the creative team actually don’t even hint that is where it’s going until mid-comic. By the time Booster arrives at the grave of Ted Kord, the emotional build-up is very powerful and then there is an enormous release. I thought it was very powerful stuff. Those are all emotions most of us have had when dealing with the death of a loved one and I thought it was handling very well. I’m impressed.

Batista’s artwork continues to be hugely pleasing on the eye. He has really emerged as a premiere “superhero artist” in my mind. It’s a very timeless style that fits right in today, could have fit in the 80’s and could have fit in the Silver Age. Lardy's above Sprouse-comparison is a good one I think; both have taken their styles to new levels.

The coloring on Booster Gold also really feels superior to many other comics. It just ‘pops’ really well. It’s done by “Hi-Fi colors” which of course, makes me lose any interest in knowing who that is. [Big Grin]

A character I loved that is quintessential Giff/DeMatt: the Booster! I expect we’ll see more of him.

All in all, I agree that this was the best of the Booster-dealing-with-Ted's-death issues, of which we've had a few. I think it's a turning point for Booster, though I do expect more Ted Kord at some point in the future.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.