Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random Review Corner (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Random Review Corner
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Upon CK's recommendation I picked up Daredevil #10 ....

Daredevil versus Mole Man ... genius! This was actually the end of this story line but I was able to jump right in with a minor amount of exposition. Waid does a great job of driving Daredevil, I feel like I'm in Daredevil's shoes ... especially in regards to his powers, unique way of viewing the world, and the use of his abilities in fights. And hand picked villains perfect to face off against Daredevil. (The Klaw, a teleporter named Spot, Mole Man, all put the Daredevil in situations that show off how cool he is)

I just went to the CBS today and grabbed #1, 10.1, 4.

great dialogue btw ... in #1 you get a few sentences that sum up how Matt Murdock is back in the game after all his life imploded previously.

clever clever clever ... and the art is just right, a great mash up between a retro style, great backgrounds, and agile action scenes.

Waid and Rivera must be loving doing this series because there's a joy and energy that comes out of the book.

I've only read a handful of Daredevil stories ... ever ... and those were around the Typhoid Mary story with John Romita Jr. drawing in the late 80sish ...

but I'm really enjoying these, and they are written in a done in one way amidst a few larger plot lines ... that makes it easy to jump into ... even for someone like me, who's new to Daredevil.

[ April 04, 2012, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Fairest #2 .... was mostly back story and only 20 pages long, and started out with a confusing jump from the last issue.

There won't be a third for me.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Anita Cocktail:
Hell Yeah #1 by Joe Keating & Andre Szymanowicz (Image Comics)

I almost passed this up, due to the title sounding a bit derivative of Kick Ass, but it was highly recommended by the charming & attractive clerk at my CBS, so I bought it.

I'm so glad I did!
Full of violence & profanity(but, sadly, no sex), this promising new title hooked me in with it's interesting cast, intriguing premise & well-established setting.

The lead character, Benjamin Day, is full of piss & vinegar, topped off with an adorable little tush! There's also an all-girl punk band, The All-New, All-Differents, who reminded me of my days as a bi-curious pop-tart back in college.

Auntie Anita says heck yes to Hell Yeah!

So in my rush to pick up Danger Club #1, I was delighted to find Hell Yeah #1 (2nd printing) and #2, both of which were flying so fast off the shelves, they're likely gone now. I read a lot of great reviews of #1, including Anita's. I've learned that if Anita likes it, it's usually very good. [Yes]

My initial impression is wow, this is a fun, exiting comic! There's action, tension, complex but fun plots and teenage characters just screaming angst! Writer Joe Keatage already blew me away with Glory and that continues here. The twist ending in #2 takes the story up another notch and makes me super curious as to where its going. Meanwhile, the three female 'superheroes' from an Alt reality introduced here really hooked me, in the sense that we already have a large cast (which at like 80% female works).

The art by Andre Szymanowicz just POPS and sizzles in the right places. It has a slight Möbius / Quietly influence that I like, while still being unique. The characters are sexy and energetic. And theres something raw about it, slightly unpolished which I find appealing.

I really liked this! Yet another add to my pull list from Image. 

And this issue had more cute tushes and some sexy kissing scenes, to make up for the lack of sex in #1! [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Nowhere Man by Marc Guggenheim and Jeevan J. Kang (Dynamite)

A pretty interesting series, but not blowing my mind.

It's a Philip K. Dick sort of premise: in the future, everyone has been infected with something that permits The Overmind to detect illegal/homicidal thoughts, thereby wiping out crime.

However, one child has been born and genetically altered by his father to escape the Overmind. Grown to adulthood, the only way to test if it works is for him to kill somebody.

The Overmind doesn't have things under control quite as much as the powers that be think, however. The protaganist, by issue #2, is meeting all sorts of seedy characters and is being chased by Orions (the police). And, of course, there is a beautiful blonde Orion who is also questioning things, much to the annoyance of her commander, so you figure there's going to be a love interest in future issues, and maybe lots of Overmind-free babies.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I have decided to take a break from DC for a bit and am very much looking forward to reading SAGA, SUPREME and DANGER CLUB (all from Image) next!

I would make it 5 Image titles in a row, but I I already know I love THE WALKING DEAD and I have let several issues of MORNING GLORIES pile up in my pull because I want to try reading several issues at once.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

hmmm Lash + New Deadwardians = ?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
hmmm Lash + New Deadwardians = ?

This may be up your alley too Lash. It's zombie related with a twist. We've been talking about it in the Vertigo thread--I haven't read yet, as I'm waiting to see what some more reviews look like.

Meanwhile, can't wait to hear your thoughts on Saga, Supreme and Danger Club!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

GASP!!! I opened a delightfully adorned package from Ms. Cocktail this morning, and among other awesome things, it contained HELL YEAH # 1 and 2! So I am adding that to my upcoming Image-a-thon, which will probably occur tonight!

I'm looking forward to going rogue with IMAGE just like I did briefly in the 90s! I bet these books are a LOT better than Youngblood, Wildcats, Brigade and Spawn though!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

They are a LOT better than the 90's Image! And a LOT better than today's DC and Marvel.

I thought Hell Yeah #1 & 2 were awesome! Totally Titsrific IMO. See the prior page for reviews by the lovely Ms Cocktail and myself (who grabbed them on her rec). I immediately added it to my pull.

There is an Image revolution these days! And this time, the quality is truly there!

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
I bet these books are a LOT better than Youngblood, Wildcats, Brigade and Spawn though!!

GASP!!! How dare you!! haha

Image and Vertigo now has most of the best books out there.

I'm all about it and I used to be all superhero comics all the time.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I read HELL YEAH 1-2 and really liked them!! Loved the art and colors and am intrigued by the handsome leading lad, his mother and the multiple earth thing going on! I will have to get # 3! Thanks, Ms. Cocktail!!

ALso, I saw the ad for AMERICA'S GOT POWERS-- that looks COMPLETELY up my alley!! Is it out yet, has anyone read it? I need to get that!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Glad you liked Hell Yeah! It def is right up your alley!

America's Got Powers, I believe, came out this week or last. I haven't gotten it / read it yet but will. I've heard really positive things! Plus, it's double sized for $2.99.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I really liked America's got powers.

I bought it for the art but the story was what stuck with me as interesting, it's a bit like a hunger games or gladiator type premise.

I'm curious to see where it goes, I hoep it's not just an amazing 1st issue, because it left off with a cliff hanger so ... it really depends on where or how issue #2 plays out.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Sounds like I *must* read number 1!

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Let me know what you think.
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.