Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Lone Ranger (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Lone Ranger
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Now that I'm reading it as a monthly, I'm still enjoying the heck out of th Lone Ranger, with #22 coming out a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, now I have to wait between issues, and the book apparently has had trouble sticking to a monthly schedule.

#22 kept the tension moving higher and higher, though I was very thankfully pleased with the resolution for the attack on the Ranger's sister-in-law and nephew. The groovy twist / wink at the reader was a nice touch.

But things ain't over yet, as Cavendish and the Ranger's showdown appears to be approaching at long last over the next 2-3 issues.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"I'd never really seen the Lone Ranger origin told before, at least not any I recall. There was a feature film in the '80s that had accompanying action figures that I'm sure I probably saw on cable at some point, but I don't really carry any memories of it beyond remembering the figures being advertized in my comics. I don't think the film was very successful."

The film was a BOMB, creatively and otherwise. It was one of a number of half-hearted revivals of old classic characters, done by people with no knowledge or respect for the source material. It even became the target of an episode of NIGHT COURT, where the film company took the original actor to court to stop him from making public appearances as the character, just so they could instead promote the "new" version.

Take it from me, it's painful to sit thru.

On the other hand, I do recall once sitting thru the origin told on the 50's TV series with Clayton Moore. As I recall, it was done over 3 1/2-hour episodes, the first dealing with the massacre of the Texas Rangers, the 2nd being the birth of The Lone Ranger, and the 3rd his tracking down the gang that murdered his fellow lawmen. It was probably edited together afterwards as a "feature film". I understand quite a few of those were put together from various episodes of the tv series. (I once saw the first few episodes of ZORRO with Guy Williams edited together as a feature film, Disney put it out with one of their other films, but I forget which one.)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
For those interested... Enter the Lone Ranger!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I never saw the movie or the origin on TV, but the action figure I had came with a little comic that told the origin.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I thought I'd heard the origin episode of the radio series... but I can't find it anywhere.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
For those interested... Enter the Lone Ranger!

For those of us outside the US, who can't view Hulu, what are we missing?
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The first episode of the tv series.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
For those who may not be aware, Lone Ranger #25 is/will be the last issue of the ongoing series according to Dynamite's letters/fan page in the backs of their comics. Not sure what that means to the property longterm at Dynamite. At the very least it looks like it's probably the end of the Matthews/Cariello run. [Frown]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I heard [Frown]

I'm hoping there is a plan for some sort of relaunch or volume #2, as #25 will essentially close out the long term story-arc that's been running since #1.

This creative team is really top-notch--I'd hate to see them move on to something different!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

As the Lone Ranger heads to it's conclusion, I notice it's back on track with a regular published schedule. Though at times decompressed, the story still continues to move along, drawing me in and building up the tension as the Ranger gets ready to face Cavendish.

What stands out more than anything else though, something I can't stop thinking about all the way through, is that this some of the best artwork I've ever seen! Cariello just gets better and better! It's so beautiful to look at that I can't help but just stare at the pages.

The writing too is also very good. Matthews does a good job at not wasting words and has a very simple yet strong way of showcasing interactions and emotions. It adds to a very epic feel to the story.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Although the main title is either on hiatus or over (the former, I hope), the Lone Ranger Annual #4 came out and I couldn’t wait to get it, as I’ve just loved what Dynamite has done with the Lone Ranger since they relaunched the franchise. The Annual was really terrific, and although it wasn’t a strait-up Lone Ranger tale (which I’m jonesing for), it did provide a really nice story from the perspective of a reporter trying to get more information on the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

The change of pace in story-telling to the perspective of a reporter is nothing new, but it was done quite well by writer Brent Matthews, who was able to play up the iconic nature of the characters quite well. It reminded me of Dynamite Zorro by Matt Wagner, who really used this motif incredibly well recently (as good as I’ve ever seen it). The sequences in flashback/story being told were by Sergio Carriello, who I can’t help but praise every time I see his artwork now—it’s so good, that if I don’t mention it I feel I’m doing potential readers of this series a great disservice.

This whetted my appetite for more Lone Ranger from this creative team and I hope they can come back for another 12 or more issues, even if they need a momentary hiatus from the characters. I never expected to become a Lone Ranger fan but here I am, absolutely reveling in how good this series has been.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So Dynamite's Lone Ranger series was nothing short of excellent, and Dynamite's Zorro series was IMO, even better. Now we've got the awesome miniseries coming out featuring a Lone Ranger / Zorro team-up, "the Death of Zorro", which may just be a Lone Ranger avenging an aged Zorro's death.

Thus far, after issue #1, it's been pretty awesome! #1 is basically a Zorro-centric issue, but it appears from here on it will be pretty Lone Ranger focused (why I'm posting it here).

Really love the set-up for the story and looking forward to what is to come. The huge draw, of course, is the premise of the two iconic franchises crossing over which is just too cool to pass up. I would love if Dynamite did a whole series of these (Lone Ranger / Green Hornet is a natural, but also Buck Rogers / Flash Gordon is way overdue).

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Is the story accessable to someone who has not read the other stuff yet?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Absolutely! There are no continuity bits that require you to know anything about either prior series. In fact, I think this mini is supposed to make new readers get interested in both characters.
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Added to the grab list then...as so onas I have the money.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.