Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Lone Ranger (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Lone Ranger
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
#1 of the relaunch is now out by Ande Park and Esteve Polls, and any worries I've had that it would not be as good have been squashed. I thought it was a fantastic first issue and by the end of it I was genuinely moved. These boys tell a damn good western.

The story is done in one and the next issue solicit (which looks fantastic) indicates that is the way it will be. IMO that's AWESOME news! I hope it stays that way for at least the majority of the time. As Jonah Hex showed, this can still actually work!

The series keeps the set up of a gritty tone mashed up with genuine heroic protagonists and it works on all levels. Polls is quite a different artist that Cariello but he's also quite good; his figures actually have a classic, almost Raymond / Toth feel to them that is appealing.

Great start. Everyone should be checking this out, including those who usually don't like westerns.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I must get this this week...so much to buy...
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image

I chose this cover over the Alex Ross one for a variety of reasons, one being that I think it is an awesome piece of art.

Such a simple story really, yet it feels like so much more.

Great done in one tale, as Cobie said above, although while the issue is a complete story, it seems that it will be part of a larger arc. I think each issue will be enjoyable in and of itself, but readers of the series will be rewarded with a larger tale.

The art is very clean and easy to follow. Which I plan on...now to start getting the trades of the former series...

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Preview of issue 2 http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=45481

I love what I see so far.

Dev - Em
KIA

While my comic shop sold out of issue #2 before I got there...don't worry, I'll track it down.

I came across this gem at the local B&N in the used section. $10 out the door for the first Trade of the first series. Reviews to come, probably this weekend.

Click for fullsize image

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
That's a GREAT trade, Dev! Enjoy!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

I will. I also have a feeling I am going to need to find a good deal on the other trades for this series.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Such an iconic origin story! That and the Zorro origin in Wagner and Fracavilla's first volume are two of the very best!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

That is on my list as well.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I think you'll love the trade Dev--a real highlight of the last few years!

Also, the recent #2 was fantastic! Good enough where a movie could be made out of it (which is how I feel about a lot of Jonah Hex stories).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Issue 1 if the trade is read.

The art by Sergio Cariello is absolutely gorgeous. The story by Brett Matthews is also straightforward and fast. Straight to the point. The colors by Dean White are lush and enhance the already beautiful work by Cariello.

Click for fullsize image

John Cassiday is, as always, light-years beyond most of his peers with the cover. It's so simple, yet so effective.

The one thing that hit me when I opened it was that his dad looked like Sam Elliot. So therefore, he sounds like him to me in the book. Which is pretty cool.

The story is straightforward retelling of the first part of his origin. Up to and including our first glimpse of Tonto.

Cannot wait to dig into issue 2.

Dev - Em
KIA

Click for fullsize image

Seriously. Issue 2 is better than issue 1 on all accounts...which is pretty damned hard to accomplish.

The story moves along quite nicely. There's no dead space here. Every panel, word, color has a purpose.

Tonto is one of the best characters ever as portrayed here. He mumbles under his breath, and for whatever reason, it's cracking me up.

Nice intro to Black Bart as well.

[ March 10, 2012, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Dev - Em ]

Dev - Em
KIA

Finished the rest of the trade. That was a great read.

I really want the rest of this series as soonn as possible.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

That trade was excellent for me, especially as I'd never remembered seeing the LR's (and Tonto's) origin before. I loved how this one explained or showed where pretty much every iconic aspect of the character came from. Hell, I'd never even thought about why he was called the "Lone Ranger" in the first place! Made me feel like a kid again.

I loved how Tonto came off, always mysterious and enigmatic with so much of his background ever being just hinted at and his story left somewhat to the imagination. Here, Tonto is no sidekick constantly in need of rescue. Heck, he rescued the LR more often than the other way around!

Also really special about the Matthews/Cariello run was how much Cariello was allowed to just do his thing. His pictures told the story with no need for exposition and narrative captions. Often, we'd get extended scenes of the pair doing little more than riding to their destination. Some might call this filler, but in the hands of Cariello, they were very beautiful and essential parts of the enjoyment of the series much in the way that sweeping vistas can be so pleasurable to look at in films shot in exotic and unique locales.

So being a big fan of the Matthews/Cariello run, I was a little concerned about the new Parks/Polls series and how it would hold up in comparison. And you know what? Two issues in, it holds up pretty damn well! The art by Polls is much different from Cariello's style, but it is beautiful in its own right! And I love how Parks is telling stories centered on the people LR & Tonto are attempting to help in the opening arc of their series. Both were very affecting stories and brought something different than what the prior series did.

I'm definitely onboard and happy to recommend either of these great LR series published by Dynamite to anyone who will listen!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

In total agreement about Carrielo's visuals--couldnt have said it any better.

And I'm right with you on Parks' work is totally different yet also incredibly beautiful.

This is my favorite Dynamite series, now that GH:Y1 has ended.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.