Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Animal Man by Jeff Lemire (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Animal Man by Jeff Lemire
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, this is one of the books that I am looking forward to the most. I love the character, and have even before I read Grant Morrisons run. He is a marries father of two (something that I can relate to...and something that is rare in comic heroes. Sure there are several that are, or at least have been , married...but not many have one or more children.

I included a link to an article where Jeff talks about hos approach to this book. Excited to see that he seems to be focusing on the strengths of the book. Glad that someone that can wrote good hero stories is on board with this one. The cover by Bill S. does not hurt either.

Click for fullsize image

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/animal-man-jeff-lemire-110608.html''

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
As a huge fan of the Vertigo era Animal Man I'm eagerly anticipating this one, as well.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well I never read Vertigo ANIMAL MAN. My ANIMAL MAN experience pretty much begins and ends with his JLE appearances.

Other than the fact that I respect both of your opinions (which I totes do), why should I (or any casual fan) be interested in this? (I have not clicked on the link yet)

Sell me, baby!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Ummm.
That's a beautiful cover for a #1.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Something we hear over and over again from fans, usually in conjunction with their criticisms of books that are currently being produced, is that they want "good writing".

The Animal Man series of the late 80s and early 90s featured good writing. It initially was written by Grant Morrison - before he became the superstar with the big ego that we now know so well. His approach was fresh and creative. The British invasion of comic books brought with it a weird sophistication and complex stories that made you think while they entertained. Part of the charm of the series is that it brought this sophistication to a campy minor 60s character. As Dev points out, the book was as much about Buddy Baker's family as it was about him. What happens to a family when daddy can claim the abilities of any animal with a thought and ends up fighting strange threats and villains? What happens when the cute 5 year old daughter, Maxine, starts to develop some of the same powers? How does this effect her older brother who kind of has a chip on his shoulder to begin with? What happens to the loving wife, who loves her husband but needs to protect her children from all the weirdness?

The series also brought with it some unapologetic social commentary. Buddy Baker was a vegetarian and environmentalist. His ability to transform into animals gave him a natural - yet unexpected- platform as an animal rights activist. Maxine's connections with animals that were typically considered dangerous brought some heart wrenching moments.

The series was set in San Diego, which also made it unique. Brian Bolland did a lot of the covers -- which were awesome.

Later writers, Milligan and Delano, took the book through some strange territory, as well.

This solicitation indicates that DC plans to try to capture the feel of that era in this new launch of the book. It's a high standard, and I can't wait to see if they are able to succeed.

[ June 09, 2011, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm also on board. Animal Man is a character I like quite a bit and writer Jeff Lemire has been very impressive thus far IMO. His name alone is enough to get me to sample any of his upcoming projects.

Morrison's Animal Man is a classic run I enjoyed quite a bit, and its one of my brother's favorite runs in comics ever.

I'm also a big fan of Delano's run. When I was only about 13-ish, my father let me read the story "Flesh and Blood" because I was so interested in the covers and because I knew he liked the series so much. He let me read them even though he cautioned me that they were more intense than the other comics I read. Afterwards, the two of us (my Dad and I) talked about them for awhile and discussed what the stories were about and why things happened. It's one of my favorite memories of getting completely consumed with a love of comics. (I read a lot of adult novels and comic books when I was a pre-teen / early teen).

I also love Animal Man's pre-Morrison somewhat campy past. His Strange Adventure stories are way out there. I also love his reemergence in as part of the Forgotten Heroes and his quick appearances in Crisis.

When he showed up in 52 as a big player, it really made me want to see a new Animal Man series by DC. They're a few years too late, but I'll take it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Sadly, I missed the Morrison Animal Man run. Ironic/Sarcastic/Metacommentary turned me off back in my oh-so-serious 20s; now it's just about all I can tolerate in comics. I have really enjoyed Jeff Lemire's work, what little of it I have read. In general, I'm intrigued and interested in LOT of the more "offbeat" offerings in the DCnU. It seems like one of the unfortunate side effects of Vertigo was taking that stuff away, so I'm delighted it's coming back. And the discounted digital after 30 days pricing is appealing as a way to sample this stuff for less expense.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Part of why I like Buddy is because of the fact that no matter how hard he tries to do the hero thing full time, his family keeps him grounded. Outside of that, he lends himself to a different style of storytelling. Smart storytelling that can touch on a whole variety of subjects, as was shown with his Vertigo title.

All four of the Baker clan are solid characters that have a ton of potential...and I trust Jeff to utilize that.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Ok, I like what I'm reading... I like that the family is very important to the series. *IF* they can keep the kids out of constant life-threatening jeopardy, it sounds like I would enjoy it... I'll add it to my list.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Jerry
active

Animal Man #1

Fans of the Vertigo era Animal Man MUST pick this issue up. It's like going home. Buddy, Ellen, Cliff, and Maxine are all right in character. No need to be confused about all the continuity stuff and relaunch confusion. The story opens with a text page of Buddy being interviewed in a magazine. It tells you everything you need to know, and allows Lemire to dive right into the story. Within a few pages, Buddy is tapping into a delightful "Action Hero" cocktail of animal abilities. The art is unique and original. It fits the story so well. Maxine's stunt on the final page cliffhanger punches right in the gut. Sweet, freaky little thing...

I'll be counting the days until next issue.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Dev - Em
KIA

So gonna cave on this one.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

There was NOT ONE THING I didn't like about ANIMAL MAN # 1.

Not one thing.

Although if this turns into a constant me-worrying-about the safety of the kids every month, that would become a problem. Right now though, there's just a WHOLE lotta freaky stuff going on involving Maxine.

I **loved** the artwork.

This has made my pull list.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

This was an awesome first issue.

Like was said by Jerry, it tells you everything you need to know to enjoy the book.

The art is very good. The dream sequence was unbelievable visually and how it was written.

There is a great feel to the book and it's ensemble cast. That's the thing I live about it. It's about Animal Man, sure...but it's really about Buddy Baker and his family.

Jerry
active

I'm so happy you picked this up, Dev!

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
This was one I was really excited to get but my store was sold out ... I'm glad to hear good things about it though.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.