Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Animal Man by Jeff Lemire (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Animal Man by Jeff Lemire
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Animal Man #1 was incredibly good. The story, the art, the weird flat colors.
Maxine was the breakthrough character in the Vertigo series, and it appears she will be so again.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I feel like I should've bought this. But I only got the ones that had former Titans. And Batgirl.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Buy it, Sarc! You'll be glad you did.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I read most of it at the store. And yes, I feel I'd be glad I did. I was trying to save money by not going over the store credit.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've got mixed feelings about this one... I didn't find the art very appealing except for the dream sequence, which was beautiful... I loved Animal Man back in the day, but I didn't feel a connection this time... plus I feel a little burned by Jeff Lemire's Superboy run... #2 is not on my pull list but I'll give it a read through when it comes out...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I echo the reviewers who were totally blown away by Animal Man #1! I rank it as (so far) the only series giving Action Comics a run for it's money as the best of the 52.

The writing was very tight and the artwork was unique and quirky in all the right ways. The very best thing about it, however, is how well defined Buddy Baker is by the close of the first issue. He is a fully developed multi-layered character who you want to learn more about in many different ways.

Lemire succeeds in doing what Animal Man's Vertigo series did: make the life of a family man interesting. I want to know more about Ellen, Cliff and of course, Maxine. That last page was a great cliffhanger!

Between superhero, family man, actor and activist, this title is rife with potential, and that human drama will set it apart from the rest of the DCU.

The art was terrific in it's quirkiness and the black and white dream sequence was terrific. The coloring was also well done--subtle subdued tones when needed and then vibrant colors when something exciting or alarming is happening.

Did I enjoy it as much as JL #1? Big time! As I said this ranks among the best yet that DC has published, alongside the brilliant Action Comics!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Sharky, while I could not afford to keep up with Superboy, it does seem that Jeff was saddled with shoehorning in some crossovers and wrapping things up way faster than he probably expected.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Much like Swamp Thing, Animal Man #1 marks the first time I've read an issue with the character in their series proper. Actually, while I know a lot about Animal Man its mostly from online sources or snippets of dialogue in his guest appearances in JLA over the years.

I heard good things about the art going into the book, and I have to say I liked it - though not as much as I would hope. It's still beautiful and adapts to the mood of the story well, but it's not a style I'm used to so I'll probably have to adjust a little to it. Another read-through or two of the issue and I'm sure I'll be completely warmed up.

One thing I liked about Animal Man, or at least about the set-up in general, is that he's a family man. I feel like in the wake of DCNu dissolving marriages and adding parent deaths, it's nice to have a title with a fairly stable family unit. Animal Man is probably a great choice as a title to represent that lifestyle, as he isn't likely to need to be in five other titles the same month any time soon. The story mentioned Buddy hadn't put on the tights in awhile - as a more or less Animal Man virgin I'd love to know what else Baker tends to get up to when he's not a hero.

Excited to see how all these different, nightmarish animals factor into things. That's the bane of having mystical or extra-dimensional-tapping powers: you never know just what you'll run into or will dabble into your power supply.

Looking forward to issue #2! I'm enjoying a lot of these "new titles" for me better than some of the continuing ones.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I got Animal Man #1 today because of the reviews here in LW. I had flipped through it last week, but some of the art, and especially the last page, creeped me out. It still does, but the story is very good, and I see that the art suits it well. I really like the way the characters and their relationships are written, and the art depicts that well. I'll get #2 and see if it's a book I care to stick with.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Animal Man #2

The book that I was most looking forward to with the relaunch delivered with a strong second issue. We dive headlong into the action and creepiness. Into the Red. Lamire has a solid grip on these characters and the dynamics of this family. Foreman's work is unique and leaves a lasting impression.

In reading over some of the previous comments, I notice Lash's concerns that the kids being in harm's way could get old. Let's be honest here. These kids are never going to be out of danger. There isn't a shrinking violet in this family. They're reckless. They're fighters.

Page 5 reminded me of Bradbury's Illustrated Man.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I loved the supernatural father/daughter field trip this issue provided for Buddy and Maxine. The art continued to be mesmerizing, having a creepy and exotic quality to it when the location calls for it. At first all the dead animals that Maxine animated were a bit gruesome to me, but by the end when Maxine left they were all kind of cute in their own way - I could see how she must see them and I credit that to the artist's great use of animal body language.

Overall, despite the fact I wasn't completely floored by the second issue, I still liked it quite a bit. Buddy and his family make for a great and unique backdrop in the new 52 and I'm enjoying the feel and flow of the title. It's nice to see things play out almost in real time, with Animal Man rushing off with his daughter hastily prepared and with his uniform not even zipped up all the way.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Caught up to Animal Man # 1 yesterday. This is shaping up to be a very interesting series!

I read the previous volume which ended up being under the Vertigo imprint from the end of Morrison's run all the way thru Delano's run that ended the series. Even having never read over 2/3 of Morrison's stories, I found the character and the premise very fascinating enough to follow it for an extended time. When I weighed the 52 relaunch, it didn't make the guaranteed pull list, but I was always pretty sure I'd try it out.

Lemire does a good job of reestablishing the Baker family status quo and reintroducing the characters. In just a few scenes with them Lemire made Ellen, Cliff and Maxine all ring true with how I remembered them. Buddy himself also seems pretty much just as I remember him.

I've seen Travel Foreman's work before in the latter issues of Marvel's Ed Brubaker/Matt Fraction/David Aja-helmed relaunch of Immortal Iron Fist, a series I really loved while it lasted. Foreman and writer Duane Swierczynski were passed the baton the series's last year and really did a bang-up job on it. Ultimately, most people didn't give the book a chance after the big-name writers left, but for overall quality, they didn't miss a beat, IMO.

Here, Foreman's art is more clean and restrained than most of what he did on Iron Fist. There, he kind of had an early Bill Sienkiewicz look to his work or one that resembles artists who are inked by Bill. On this book he holds back a little on the family and straight superhero scenes with a simple but really attractive line. Then he goes a little more apeshit on the dream sequence and the parts that show him accessing the morphogenetic field. It's a balace that worked for me REALLY well, and I look forward to seeing Foreman grow and really take ownership of this series with help from veterans inker Dan Green and colorist Lovern Kindzierski.

I think the sequence in the hospital was great except that I'm not so sure Buddy could have accessed rhino hide before a bullet could hit him. But I liked the creative uses of his powers, from Buddy's favorite "cocktail" to the use of cat napping powers to help him sleep. [Smile]

I'm intrigued enough to add this to my pull. Heck, if I wasn't sure, then seeing Cliff still had his mullet sealed the deal for me! [LOL]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I totally didn't notice the mullet! [LOL]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Animal Man #2 was another strong read. The story is moving along at a good pace, and the development of Maxines powers are intriguing.

The art is strong once again, and I agree with Lardy about the Sienkiewicz tones to it...although I noticed a little Kyle Baker in there as well. Neither is a bad artist to emulate in your work.

As a side note...it was pretty creepy seeing myself as one of the creatures at the ens in the Zoo. [LOL]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Creepy is the word for Animal Man #2. That was a great issue, I don't think I ever read a comic that made my skin crawl like that one did.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.