Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Amazing Covers (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Amazing Covers
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
It was those gents from Queens, N.Y., who made me kind of almost enjoy Aerosmith.

Then there's these guys...

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
...It's fun to see jazz musicians embrace Joni Mitchell. She was bitterly rejected by the jazz establishment when she made her initial efforts at writing, singing, and playing jazz.

A lot of the initial hostility had to do with the time it first happened, I figure. There's a long history of cultural appropriation in jazz that it was hard for Black musicians to talk about without suffering automatic commercial suicide-- until fairly late in the 20th Century. A lot of Black musicians probably looked at Mitchell and thought she was just another carpetbagger, gaming somebody else's culture for whatever cache she could get from it. They didn't think she was serious or that she any sincere interest in the form.

Meanwhile, a lot of White critics were just going to dismiss anyone tagged with the "rock" label who got near their genre without really examining what they were doing with it.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Wow! I was not expecting to find some other Billy Preston fans at Legion World! He never got the level of fame he truly deserved but I think a lot of other musicians would kill for the career he had and the achievements he earned during it. How many people get credited with being 'the 5th Beatle' due to all the work he did with that group?

Some incredible Billy Preston videos on Youtube...

[Yes]

I admit that I'd forgotten what a gem the guy was, until a few years back when I heard a local soul-funk tribute band playing "Will It Go 'Round In Circles" live. Such a great melody. Never goes out of style.

And don't forget, despite his commentary in "Nothing From Nothing," Preston had a side career as superhero.

I bumped the Beatles thread, since I already had some other covers posted over there.

[ April 19, 2012, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
It was those gents from Queens, N.Y., who made me kind of almost enjoy Aerosmith.

Then there's these guys...

Okay, I love the Run DMC version...but I almost lost it with the second one. Where did you ever find that?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

I blame the local "community" radio station, Dev. Their weekday morning show when I used to get up for work several years ago was always very folk-bluegrass oriented. Sometimes they got bored will all those songs about broken hearts and the untimely death of loved ones and stopping the war and yadda yadda yadda. Then they'd slip this Hayseed Dixie masterwork into the mix.

[Big Grin]

[ July 10, 2010, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
These guys did a great job making this song feel new, while totally respecting the King.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2aha4uEpEQ

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Bringing the thread full circle, another Lou Reed cover, this one from Simple Minds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1-iLfE-WNQ

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Percy Mayfield has written so many Blues/R&B classics. ("Hit The Road, Jack;" "River's Invitation," "Please Send Me Someone To Love," etc.) I knew his name, but it wasn't until hearing this rip-roaring take of "You Don't Exist No More" that I counted myself a capital-F fan.

Mayfield's original version is introspective and sad. Whereas Li'l Ed and his band sound mad enough to kick a house down-- while the ex is still in it. [Big Grin]

[ July 10, 2010, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------

Jerry
active

Concrete Blonde does Leonard Cohen. Don Henley also does a respectable cover of this song, but I prefer Blonde's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJAxdGeZ4E

[ July 11, 2010, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

I can't stop listening to The Bobs' cover of "White Room."

I dunno'... maybe I need professional help...?

[shrug]

P.S. -- Canucks ain't afraid of no ghosts!

[ July 11, 2010, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Love the Bobs! Discovered them years ago on Dr. Demento.

Though not a cover, to my knowledge, check out "Banana Love."

They also have off-the-wall covers of "Pscyho Killer" (Talking Heads), "Whole Lotta Love" (Led Zeppelin), and "Light My Fire" (Doors).

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
30 Seconds to Mars cover of Kanye West's Stronger is freaking awesome to listen to. The lyrics are pretty creepy, but it sounds amazing. (According to the eldest daughter, the fan-video I linked to is like, totally hot.)

I'm a huge Bowie fan, but I like the Wallflowers cover of Heroes better than the original. (Sacriledge, I know!)

And to compound the heresy, I like Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold the World better than Bowie's version! (And I generally loathe Nirvana.)

[ July 11, 2010, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Regardless of one's opinion of Nirvana, it's hard to deny that the unplugged session contained some soulful, deeply felt, and well performed music.

I generally like the Wallflowers, but it's hard to top Bowie on Heroes.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Jerry
active

Speaking of unplugged, here is another good moment. This one became a hit. I still prefer the Patti Smith version, but Natalie gained some respect from me with this performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H14R4ZsMM0E

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
A 70s glam rock classic, originally by the late, great Mick Ronson, here performed with affection and energy by Def Leppard -- "Only After Dark"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOO6wztjxV0

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.