Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Dev revisits the 5YL era (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Dev revisits the 5YL era
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
Roxxas is captured. Jan really is the one that decides that letting him live is worth more to the Legion's "soul" than what he really deserved.

This scene actually strikes me as a bit underwhelming, considering the last encounter between the Legion and Roxxas basically ended with Jan "discovering" that killing him would be a mistake.

The more I think about it, the more that Roxxas-killing-Blok strikes me as a pretty cheap death. As we've discussed before, the whole storyline would've had much more impact had they followed through with their original ambition of killing Shvaughn, thus ratching up the Jan-Roxxas tension a notch. Instead, they killed off a Legionnaire who a) was never really a fan favorite character and b) they probably would've pretty much left out of the series anyway. I can kind of imagine them sitting around after the Shvaughn plans changed saying, "Well, we could kill off Blok or Tellus, let's flip a coin and decide which..."

Alternatively, if they wanted to go with a *really* powerful storyline, they could've had Roxxas kill Jan.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely agree the death of Blok was one of the series major mistakes. All subsequent rereads of it only showcase that moreso.

Other deaths in TMK, while not pleasing to fans, were done much better. Blok's always felt a bit cheap. I do, however, love Dev's idea of how Blok could easily have still been alive--it almost feels like it was part of the plan.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, I definitely agree that there were outs as to how Blok could come back. I actually would be really interested to see what the Beirbaums could've done with him, personality-wise, as I think they could've made far more interesting than he ever was under Levitz.

I have to admit, however, that "A Legionnaire you thought was dead isn't, and a Legionnaire you thought would live forever doesn't" is one of the great next issue blurbs of all time.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Issue #19, Jun 91 - And the rain came down

Liked this issue a lot, but it does focus on one of my favorite characters for at least half the book.

Two very distinct thing happen in this issue. The Moon's destruction hits Earth. With devastating effects. Millions die in the impacts. Including some old friends.

The other half of the issue is devoted to finally wrapping up Jo's trip to the past. Glad to see the whole thing wrap up, and interesting to see Nabu involved in his return to the proper time. Again, the creative team proves that they are more than able to make Jo a rounded character. The last page when he finally allows himself to cry for Tinya is moving...at least as moving as a comic can get (until the SW6/Legion reunion issue.

Text piece on the destruction of the Moon.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Was anyone, while reading this real time, saying, geez i wish they would get on with the story?

Probably not, except for those anxious to see how it came out.

Even reading the reviews is exciting for me.

I didn't think of it at the time, but yes I guess there were better options to killing Blok, though sending the parts in a box would have been a bit more Dexterish.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been behind in my reading of 5YL, so I'm going to do some quick reviews of # 7-10:

Overall, I like these issues much better than the first six. The narrative is cleaner and more purposeful. The Mordru storyline is resolved (at least for now), and the overall story moves forward.

For issue # 7, three things stand out for me the most: 1) the portrayal of Mysa as an abused wife, 2) the unusual device of using text pages for the Rokk and Mordru scenes, and 3) the "introduction" of Laurel Gand (last issue's intro was more of a teaser).

Re: Mysa. I was struck by her caption on p. 11: "I dared to hope for an idyllic life as first wife to an emperor." This implies that she married Mordru of her own free will (which Mordru also implies, but he is not to be trusted). It's hard to believe that any Legionnaire would willingly marry such a villain, but this does add a bit of coloring (pun not intended) to her character. Mysa seems to have been a lost soul who became more lost after she left the Legion.

Re: the text scenes. I was taken aback by the text pages, at first. Was Giffen too lazy or behind to draw these scenes? However, they work quite well as prose pieces: the narrative gets inside Rokk and Mordru's heads much better than art would have conveyed. (Now that I think about it, I shudder at the prospect of Giffen drawing this sequence and obscuring it, as he did to the Lar/Tasmia reunion in # 5.)

Re: Laurel. Reading her scenes makes me glad that I did not buy this issue when it first came out, as I don't think I could have gotten past the fact that she was a retcon substitute (retsub?) for Supergirl. So many changes had already been wrought by 5YL both before and after the restructuring of the universe in # 5, that having one more rammed down my throat would have been too much. I don't think I would have accepted Laurel.

And that would have been a shame, as she truly is a unique character in her own right: she is far more aggressive than Kara was, yet she clearly has a soft spot for Rond. There are hints in this issue (borne out in subsequent issues) that she regards Rond as more than a teammate or friend. Such a relationship would have been unlikely with Supergirl.

Vrykos is an interesting villain. He's devoted to Mordru and obeys the emperor's edict not to engage the Legionnaires, though he disagrees passionately with the edict. He also gives the Legionnaires quite a tussel when he does engage them. However, the artistic device of depicting his face in constant shadow wears thin after awhile; it makes me think that Giffen just didn't want to bother drawing a face. He uses similar devices all too often.

So, # 7 seems to be where things start to turn around for Giffen and crew. By this time, they have many of their earlier problems ironed out.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Issues 8 and 9 present two flashback stories that delve into the history of this revised Legion universe. I enjoyed both of these stories quite a bit, despite feeling that I was talking to a patient after extensive surgery ("you'll be just as good as new"). A large part of my enjoyment was due to the fill-in artists. Chris Sprouse (# 8) and Paris Cullins (# 9) provide us with more varied page layouts as a welcome breather from the nine-panel grids. Their artwork also captures the feeling of "happier times" quite well.

Issue # 8 presents the history of R.J. Brande as told by his long-suffering assistant, Marla Latham. The story was quite entertaining, and, like everyone else, I enjoyed the easter eggs. It was particularly fun how the Bierbaums worked in the original Legion costumes from Adventure # 247 (Cos: "Pink? I thought I asked for pale scarlet!").

Yet there was a down side to the easter eggs, as well. I wondered if the Legionnaires would still be wearing these costumes when they approached Superboy, then I remembered that they wouldn't be approaching Superboy in this continuity. Easter eggs such as this pointed out more of what was lost than what was gained.

Issue # 9 focuses on Laurel and basically retells the story of Supergirl's induction with Laurel in the former's place. Again, some retcons work and others don't. One particularly jarring retcon involved the re-telling of Action Comics # 267: whereas Kara encountered red kryptonite, the Bierbaums go to great lengths to tell us that Laurel encountered lead and that she had built up an immunity to her anti-lead serum. (Really? Do all Daxamites build up immunity? If Brainy is able to cure Laurel completely of her lead weakness, did he do the same for all Daxamites? If not, why?) Then, whereas the Red K aged Supergirl so she temporarily was ineligible to join the Legion, the Bierbaums sidestep that complication completely by having Laurel join the Legion on her first try. Again, such retcons called more attention to what was lost than to what the Bierbaums and Giffen hoped to give us as replacements.

(Another retcon that left me puzzled: This is probably the first time Triplicate Girl is called Triad--apparently, she was always Triad in the Giffenverse. But in a universe with Saturn Girl and Phantom Girl, why was this change necessary?)

The parts of the story which worked were the original parts of Laurel's origin: Thwarting the Kunds' invasion of Ricklef II as a little girl, being sent into the 30th century equivalent of a witness protection program, and her assertive role in her romance with Brainiac 5. The revelation (in # 10) that the father of Laurel's child is Rond, not Brainy, further distances the character from Kara and makes her a unique and interesting addition to the Legion.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Re: Mysa. I was struck by her caption on p. 11: "I dared to hope for an idyllic life as first wife to an emperor." This implies that she married Mordru of her own free will (which Mordru also implies, but he is not to be trusted). It's hard to believe that any Legionnaire would willingly marry such a villain, but this does add a bit of coloring (pun not intended) to her character. Mysa seems to have been a lost soul who became more lost after she left the Legion.

It's important to note that a significant theme of the Baxter series had been the (apparent) rehabilitation of Mordru on Sorceror's World. It's perhaps not so crazy to believe that Mysa would be invested in believing that Mordru was now good, and indeed was what he war presenting himself as, namely the savior of the survivors of Sorceror's World.
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Issue # 10 presents the first part of the long-in-coming showdown with Roxxas, and the pacing works quite well. Giffen and the Bierbaums keep the suspense building as scenes of Roxxas's progress in infiltrating Winath are interspersed with scenes of the ex-Legionnaires getting back together. Here, Giffen and crew fill in the emotional holes left in the earlier issues: We get to see Garth and Rokk hug each other; we get to see Ayla wax nostalgic about a Legion cruiser; we get to see Brainy, in his aloof manner, agree to help a teammate (Mysa); we get to see Violet's anguish over her impending encounter with Rokk. At last: this is starting to feel like the Legion.

And then Roxxas strikes. To Giffen and crew's credit, this obscure villain from Adventure # 307 (and who wasn't much of a threat in Superboy # 211) becomes a resourceful nasty who catches heroes off guard and beats and shoots them. His multiple-voice monologue has also been toned down, making it easier to follow, and parts of his dialogue are quite amusing (fretting over his hair, for example).

Unfortunately, I do not have # 11 (or # 12), so I'm missing the conclusion to this story. However, the build-up was extremely well done and made me excited about 5YL for the first time since I started participating in this review project.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:

It's important to note that a significant theme of the Baxter series had been the (apparent) rehabilitation of Mordru on Sorceror's World. It's perhaps not so crazy to believe that Mysa would be invested in believing that Mordru was now good, and indeed was what he war presenting himself as, namely the savior of the survivors of Sorceror's World.
Hm. I don't remember Mordru's apparent rehabilitation.

I guess I'm finding it hard to believe that any Legionnaire would trust in the "rehabilitation" of an enemy who had tried to kill them (and nearly succeeded) multiple times and who was, at one time, one of the most feared beings in the galaxy. Certainly, marrying such a former foe requires more of an explanation than given here.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: Mordru and the rehab. I do seem to remember that he seemed almost childlike in the last appearance of the Baxter series...I want to say it had art by McManus.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Its been a long time since I've looked back at it, but the Sorcerors are supposed to have stripped him of power and cleansed his mind of evil tendencies, or somesuch.

The inference that we're supposed to draw is that, obviously, it didn't work as well as they thought it would. Mordru is able to take advantage of the post-Magic Wars state of the Sorcerors and become their leader. Should they have been more skeptical of him? Probably. Mysa especially though, has as one her defining character traits "faith", and so its not completely out of character that she might place too much faith in the supposed "inner goodness" of the man that is supposed to have been magically rehabilitated and now seems to be offerring the survivors hope.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Interesting point, Eryk.

Faith should not be confused with blind faith, however, or even naivete. I'm not well invested in Mysa's character, so I'm not sure which of these words, if any, applies to her. But I do think that five years is a very short time for her to go from being a Legionnaire to being the wife of one of their greatest enemies.

[ January 12, 2010, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Well, the other aspect that we have to take into account is that Mordru is a master manipulater on a number of different levels. Presumably he plays along with the whole "reformed" role at first, and by the time the evidence of his continued evil surfaces, she's already married to him and he's too powerful to stop.
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Just like Mekt's rehabilitation, that has since been blackwashed back into crazy-bad-guy status, Mordru's backslide into cackling imbecility (since his plans *never* work) is just annoying to me.

I am not a fan of the villain-turns-antihero stories (such as Marvel attempted with Venom), since they are usually written terribly and just serve to fluff up popular villains (exceptions abound, such as the first few years of the Thunderbolts), but I am a big fan of *change* occuring in comic books. Mordru got redeemed. Move on to other villains. Perhaps even have some red herring / bait-n-switch where it *seems* like Mordru has reverted to form, only to discover that he's being framed by someone who is attempting to steal his powers. Same with Mekt. He got over it. Having him turn around and rejoin the LSV and be *even more psychotic than before* is, IMO, lazy writing. Find someone else for Garth to have family issues with.

Let Mordru and Mekt live on as reformed bad-guys, and, in the process, show that the Legion of Super-Heroes isn't utterly pointless. That their battles do have the potential to *change things, for the better.*

But no. Can't mess with 'the brand.' No matter how many times he's cured, Xavier's got to get back in that darned chair. No matter how much cooler he looks in black, Spiderman can't leave his traditional costume behind. No matter how many times he's been returned to the form of Ben Grimm, the Thing always ends up stuck as a pile of rocks. No matter how many times prominent characters get pregnant, the babies always mysteriously grow up in another dimension or vanish or die or are wiped out in a time-shift.

Because the writers fear change or growth or character development.

Everything has to be reset to how it was back in the '70s. Again.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.