Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Dev revisits the 5YL era (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Dev revisits the 5YL era
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Valor #5, Mar 93 - Go directly to jail

Valor ends up in prison thanks to Vril. Guest shot by the Blasters (anyone remember them?), but they seem to be here as a convenient plot device and nothing more.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Valor #6, Apr 93 - Blasters to the rescue.

Gee, the Blasters end up helping Valor break out. How convenient that they were in the right part of the Universe to help.

But wait...something else has escaped...or has it?

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

LSH #43, May 93 - The Witch is Back

Not a bad issue here. Art is fantastic, and the story is not to bad either. We finally revisit some lingering plots.

Mysa finds what she believes to be Amethyst and goes to attack Mordru. The Martian Manhunter (really old version) drops in to help, and try to warn her off as well.

Sussa shows up at Legion HQ for help opening her canister that she stole like 283 issues ago. How's that for a lingering sub-plot. Nice thing was her holding her own against some big guns of the LSH and immediately backing down to Drura,

Jacque is back, and he wants to get them outfits...

Dev - Em
KIA

Legionnaires #3, Jun 93 - 2...The Beast below

We're setting up the Fatal Five. Good issue...same dislikes.

Mordecai fights Leviathan and Gossamer. He/it takes Goss, and leaves Leviathan for dead. Garth makes all tough guy and people shout him down.

Another team goes out after the monstre, and Leviathan goes after them. Once Mordecai seems defeated, he/it is teleported away.

The Persuader gets his axe back.

Cera makes a new friend...a green glowing orb of a friend.

Dev - Em
KIA

Valor #7, May 93 - Unimaginable Consequences

Valors ship os possessed...but comes out alright. Valor takes some old prisoner with him as they escape. The sun they are near is going to go supernova soon thanks to a creature relased from the prison.

Dev - Em
KIA

Valor #8, Jun 93 - Red Alert

Valor saves a small creature from the supernova and gets out of there just in time.

Dev - Em
KIA

LSH #44, Jun 93 - Projectra Returns

Good issue. I cannot say enoough about how much I love Immonen's Legion art. Great stuff. Good story that bring us towards Night of the Living Heroes...all they need is a Black Lantern ring and we could have a retro crossover. [Wink]

Man, Mordru is one sadistic S.O.B. Mysa gets duped by Mordru, and he gains all kinds of crazy power.

Andrew (from the Mordruverse) appears and tells Rokk and Jacques that Mysa needs them and their love. They do and Mordru is brought back down a bit. He has another plan though..."The Romero Initiative."

Jeckie is visiting Val's grave and is then attacked by every dead Legion member there is. Including a put together Blok...Did they use Quick-crete or something when they buried him?

The Khunds ask for help, and the Legion accepts 4 Khund members.

Tenzil comes back from searching for Mysa with J'onn. Kono get's a new outfit and persona...Amethyst.

The dead are rising on Legion asteroid...uh oh!

Dev - Em
KIA

Legionnaires # 4, Jul 93 - 3...If Looks Could Kill

Okay. Good issue, good writing and good art. Keeps the story moving. No complaints except the characterization of Livewire and Inferno.

Cera gets some revenge in this issue. Let's face it folks, Ineferno deserved it. No permanent damage done.

The Fatal Five are back...mostly. There are two Eyes and Empresses right now. MacCauley has bought his Fatal Five, and has Tharok in a "Bacta" tank, if you will.

Trouble is coming for our heroes.

Dev - Em
KIA

Valor #9, Jul 93 - How to win friends and influence people

Hmmm...look at that, a guest written (and nicely drawn by Paris Cullins) by Mark Waid, featuring a Darkstar (remember them?) named Bron. Who happens to be appearing in Trinity, coming soon to a LCS near you. Or at least if you go back in time it'll be.

Not a bad issue, too bad it was all a stunt to give Bron some cred heading into said event.

Dev - Em
KIA

Valor #10, Aug 93 - Power Struggle

White Spider is back. Yawn. The unimaginable is back as well...yawn. The old prisoner used to be a hot female Green Lantern. Convenient. Oh yeah, Valor is sick as well.

Dev - Em
KIA

LSH #45, Jul 93 - New Members? New Problems

Good issue, if a bit puzzling at times.

On Sklar, the Legion confronts Mordru's Undead legions.

There is some shenanigans with the Khunds and Jo.

Jeckie tries to summon some form of help.

The dead Legion shows up. Next issue is gonna be fun.

Okay, the thing that has always gotten me about this whole thing...how are heroes that died 1000+ years ago running around (albeit dead), let alone on a planet that is not Earth (which was blown up.) At the very least they would have been deteriorated more than this by now...at least the outfits would be gone...unless they're those pesky "unstable molecules." The dead Legion members I can accept...except for Blok being back in one piece. Still not sure on that...lotsa super glue I guess.

Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
and with Valor 11...we're at zero hour point!!!!!!

quote:
In The Legion Companion, Giffen admits that he destroyed earth as a “temper tantrum”—a parting shot at DC, whose editorial interference and lack of support undermined the story he wished to tell.
That says why I do not want Keith back on the legion...that and his art work isn't what it used to be during the Great Darkness Era, and He loves to kill Karate Kid.

[ March 02, 2010, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Superboy-Supergirl ]

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

The issue chronology that I will be pretty much following is what I took from The Cosmic Teams website. So Valor will not always fall into the monthly shuffle between LSH and Legionnaires.
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
LSH #45, Jul 93 - New Members? New Problems

Okay, the thing that has always gotten me about this whole thing...how are heroes that died 1000+ years ago running around (albeit dead), let alone on a planet that is not Earth (which was blown up.) At the very least they would have been deteriorated more than this by now...at least the outfits would be gone...unless they're those pesky "unstable molecules." The dead Legion members I can accept...except for Blok being back in one piece. Still not sure on that...lotsa super glue I guess.

I've always hated stories in which dead characters are brought back as walking skeletons to bedevil our heroes. One reason I hate them is the reason you've alluded to: they make no sense.

In order for the characters to be recognizable, they have to be wearing Legion costumes, but the costumes should have deteriorated by now. One might argue that the costumes were treated with unstable molecules or somesuch, but why would corpses be buried with costumes that would never deteriorate? One has to then explain this, but it's too much guesswork for something that is done merely for identification.

Then, as you also note, we have to explain why all those characters who died on worlds far removed from earth (or wherever they were in the story) end up in the same place. Maybe it's just Mordru being a d**khead.

The biggest problem I have with these stories, however, is that they rely on cheap shock value and emotional appeal. We're supposed to care about these old friends who have been zombified and also care about our still living heroes as they fight against the bodies of loved ones and friends. This idea has been done to death (literally) and such stories rarely offer anything new.

Furthermore, it's a way of avoiding any real emotion or emotional growth in characters. The living heroes cannot play off of the corpses, emotionally; all they can do is react to their memories of their loved ones. But such angst is usually overdone and cliched. The four-panel scene that includes Lu crawling through the tunnel in the Adventure days conveys more emotional depth than this entire story did.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

The old heroes showing up is really the main issue I have with this. If they actually would have just stuck with the inhabitants of Sklar, it would have gone better. Having Mr. Terrific, Robin and the like was just to tie in common day reality to the future...and cheap in my opinion.

The dead Legion members did seem to be Mordru just being a total Arse.

More reviews coming this weekend. Taking a few days off. There's a lot of good and bad stuff coming up.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.